Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

2 months of gym - where do I go from here?

So I was a total noob 2 months ago, and ive tried to follow the advice on gym and nutrition for 2 months. I've been trying to hit my macros and have been doing compound lifts 3-4x a week and have seen some strength gains, even though I was cutting calories. I've been eating around maintenance or slightly under some days as well as throwing in a bit of cardio here and there.

I dont know where to go from here. I've been cutting for 2 months but not that strictly I guess. My original target was probably 12-14% BF and then I'll start bulking but my Omron bodyscanner says I'm at 24% bodyfat??!?!? Are these things entirely inaccurate?

I want the belly to go, asap but I don't know how long it will take. I'm tired of being tired though from low cals and want to get bigger...

Should I continue to cut or start bulking asap?

October was when I started pics wise obviously.
    Attached Images

Registered User hairlineofpeace's Avatar
    hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What is your goal? Your training depends on what type of physique you want to achieve. From my own (and my friends') experiences I would advice you to focus on gaining muscle. This will shape your body, even at a higher BF%. I would advice a lean bulk, don't focus too much on cardio (no need to stop doing it, but the emphasis should be on lifting weights). As far as training goes, you're doing the right thing doing compounds. I have made really good gains on Arnold Schwarzenegger's beginners/intermediate training schedule. The schedule:

Chest + Back
    Shoulders + Legs + Arms
    rest

Chest: 5x5 bench press, 4X8 incline (dumbbell) press, 4X8 dumbbell flies

Back: Pullups (or lat pulldowns), lots of different rowing exercises (seated cable rows, one armed dumbbell rows, T-bar rows, other variations)

Leg day: 5X5 deadlifts

Legs: 5X5 squats, 10X10 calf raises

Shoulders: 4X8 Military press or dumbbell press, 4X8 bent over lateral raises/reversed peck deck flies (additionally 4X8 lateral raises, but not necessarily)

Arms: tricep pushdowns (V-bar + rope), strict curls (or variations like concentration curls)

The focus is on the 5X5 lifts ( bench, squat, deadlift), with some additional exercises. It's sort of a combination of powerlifting and bodybuilding. Arms are an extra, but I find training your triceps really aids all of your pressing movements.

Good luck.

Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by hairlineofpeace View Post
    What is your goal? Your training depends on what type of physique you want to achieve. From my own (and my friends') experiences I would advice you to focus on gaining muscle. This will shape your body, even at a higher BF%. I would advice a lean bulk, don't focus too much on cardio (no need to stop doing it, but the emphasis should be on lifting weights). As far as training goes, you're doing the right thing doing compounds. I have made really good gains on Arnold Schwarzenegger's beginners/intermediate training schedule. The schedule:

Chest + Back
    Shoulders + Legs + Arms
    rest

Back: Pullups (or lat pulldowns), lots of different rowing exercises (seated cable rows, one armed dumbbell rows, T-bar rows, other variations)

Shoulders: 4X8 Military press or dumbbell press, 4X8 bent over lateral raises/reversed peck deck flies (additionally 4X8 lateral raises, but not necessarily)

Arms: tricep pushdowns (V-bar + rope), strict curls (or variations like concentration curls)

The focus is on the 5X5 lifts ( bench, squat, deadlift), with some additional exercises. It's sort of a combination of powerlifting and bodybuilding. Arms are an extra, but I find training your triceps really aids all of your pressing movements.

Good luck.
    My goal is to get a stereotypical shredded physique. I dont know why people ask this question because most people want the same thing tbh.

I hate my gut though and really would like a flat stomach with ab definition. maybe will lean bulk 200 cals over maintenance and see what happens.

I want to reduce body fat% and look ripped though mainly...

hfb92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hfb92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hfb92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hfb92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hfb92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hfb92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hfb92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hfb92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hfb92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hfb92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hfb92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Chest + Back
    Shoulders + Legs + Arms
    rest

Good luck.
    This is great. I'll take this into consideration as well!

hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hairlineofpeace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Sway12 View Post
    My goal is to get a stereotypical shredded physique. I dont know why people ask this question because most people want the same thing tbh.

I hate my gut though and really would like a flat stomach with ab definition. maybe will lean bulk 200 cals over maintenance and see what happens.

I want to reduce body fat% and look ripped though mainly...
    In order to look good ripped you first have to build muscle. Especially to get those abs. If your abs are well developed, they show at a higher BF% (logical ofc). It's really hard to build muscle when your body isn't getting everything it needs in terms of energy and macros. Squatting and deadlifting heavy will develop your abs (try squatting with weak abs, the bar will force your torso to your knees). You can also directly hit your abs doing weighted cable crunches etc. Bodyweight stuff for your abs: not nearly as effective. Hanging leg raises etc. are great exercises though for stability and muscle control. Just don't expect bulky abs from those exercises. A friend of mine is very ripped with a killer 6 pack (he plays Squash at a high level), but his abs are actually smaller than mine. And I'm at about 20%BF so they don't really show lol (I've got a one-pack though). He's also a lot weaker than I am, his abs cannot support the same weight as mine when he's squatting. Here you can also see a difference in goals: he trains in a specific way to improve his Squash skills, while I'm focused on strength and shape. You can look ripped, but there are clear differences between bodybuilders and 'general' athletes.

In order to look good ripped you first have to build muscle. Especially to get those abs. If your abs are well developed, they show at a higher BF% (logical ofc). It's really hard to build muscle when your body isn't getting everything it needs in terms of energy and macros. Squatting and deadlifting heavy will develop your abs (try squatting with weak abs, the bar will force your torso to your knees). You can also directly hit your abs doing weighted cable crunches etc. Bodyweight stuff for your abs: not nearly as effective. Hanging leg raises etc. are great exercises though for stability and muscle control. Just don't expect bulky abs from those exercises. A friend of mine is very ripped with a killer 6 pack (he plays Squash at a high level), but his abs are actually smaller than mine. And I'm at about 20%BF so they don't really show lol (I've got a one-pack though). He's also a lot weaker than I am, his abs cannot support the same weight as mine when he's squatting. Here you can also see a difference in goals: he trains in a specific way to improve his Squash skills, while I'm focused on strength and shape. You can look ripped, but there are clear differences between bodybuilders and 'general' athletes.
    So your saying that seeing abs is not about having a low bf% but about building muscle? I've been told countless times that seeing abs is simply a case of removing the layer of fat on top..

Location: Sunderland, Silksworth, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    rowza is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowza is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowza is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowza is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowza is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowza is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowza is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowza is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowza is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowza is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowza is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Sway12 View Post
    So your saying that seeing abs is not about having a low bf% but about building muscle? I've been told countless times that seeing abs is simply a case of removing the layer of fat on top..
    Think what he means is you need to build abs or when you take the layer off nothing will be there
    Small man to BIG MAN = http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151293303

R.I.P Zyzz

Originally Posted by rowza View Post
    Think what he means is you need to build abs or when you take the layer off nothing will be there
    ^this, forgot to add this in my post. Showing your abs is indeed a matter of having a low enough BF%, but you need to develop them first (hence the lean bulk).

jetadel13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Imo you should bulk and do icf 5x5, its a good program