Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    elizabethw22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

22 y/o female: is it possible to have a round butt without adding bulky legs?

Hi everyone,

I'm coming to you for advice because I cannot seem to find a straight answer from anyone concerning a precise plan I should do.

I'm a 22 year old female, I used to be a dancer, and I want to get a round butt again. However, my thighs and calf muscles tend to get extremely big without getting toned (making them look fat) when I do squats and lunges. My goal is to get a round, firm, plump butt with skinny/toned legs. Is it possible to have both?

Right now I am 5'7'' and 124 pounds. My butt is plump, but has more fat at the bottom of it, and
    . I have a skinny waist (23 inches), so I am not looking to lose too much weight, except for my lower area where I have a bit of cellulite and 34 inch hip/thigh.

My question is, is there a plan that could help me loose just enough fat on my butt to help with the cellulite and thighs, but then add muscle on my butt and tone my legs? I have 3/4 months until spring break.

Specific questions: how much weight, how many reps, then for how long? When do I progress? Is there a different plan for losing weight and then adding muscle, or can they be done at the same time? If you recommend squats, I never get sore from them and don't feel them working, no matter how many reps or weight I add on. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate it!

Best,
    Elizabeth

IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Have you tried Straight leg deadlifts? Best glute/ham exercise in my opinion.
    I am Legion, for we are many.

Science is my religion. Newton, Einstein, Galileo, Copernicus, Faraday, and Darwin are my prophets.

----Will remove this when Lions win the superbowl.----

98camarozzz is just really nice. (+1000) 98camarozzz is just really nice. (+1000) 98camarozzz is just really nice. (+1000) 98camarozzz is just really nice. (+1000) 98camarozzz is just really nice. (+1000) 98camarozzz is just really nice. (+1000) 98camarozzz is just really nice. (+1000) 98camarozzz is just really nice. (+1000) 98camarozzz is just really nice. (+1000) 98camarozzz is just really nice. (+1000) 98camarozzz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well judging by your goals and timeframe (spring break?), you're doing this for the wrong reason. GL anyways OP
    USMC 09'-12'

usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    We'll 1.) it doesn't sound like your doing this for the right reasons like above said. So odds are you will do a routine for a few weeks and stop and in a few months and will be right back where you started.

2.) it sounds like your form on your squats is dicked up, search bodybuilding.com for proper form. (Squats go ass to the grass)

3.nothing is going to make your legs and calfs bulky unless you have been working out for a serious amount of time with extremely heavy weight. lunges work we'll, squats work wonders and deadlifts. in my gym there is a machine that strictly works your ass I see a lot of woman use it. do 4sets of 12-15 reps you will get a better workout in the squat rack than the smith machine. I can't tell you what weight to use but I can tell you that you should reach muscle failure in the 12-15 rep range for each set.

Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    "wrong reasons"

Strange. I thought USMC guys would relate to this sort of business.

usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usmcell88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wrong Krugg as a Marine fitness and discipline is apart if daily life. we truly care less about how our ass looks, we care about fuctional muscle because with out it how would we be able to fire man carry a fallen brother in arms? as far as how out woman look, truly doesn't matter as much as we love a fit athletic woman, a woman who will be faithful during a deployment is more important. if you couldn't tell by now I too am a marine 2006-2012

Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You could try pulling a few extra shifts at the strip club.

sakau2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sakau2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sakau2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sakau2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sakau2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sakau2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sakau2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sakau2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sakau2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sakau2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sakau2007 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    is it possible? sure. but the most effective way to get your body in more desirable shape is probably to work on things like squats and then also do some isolation glutes work. also, some cardio and about a 5 minute 6 or 7 days a week ab routine.

people are going to tell you you are doing it for all the wrong reasons and stuff... but if getting a bangin' body for spring break is what you desire, then how is that a bad reason?

yemff is on a distinguished road. (+10) yemff is on a distinguished road. (+10) yemff is on a distinguished road. (+10) yemff is on a distinguished road. (+10) yemff is on a distinguished road. (+10) yemff is on a distinguished road. (+10) yemff is on a distinguished road. (+10) yemff is on a distinguished road. (+10) yemff is on a distinguished road. (+10) yemff is on a distinguished road. (+10) yemff is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Mdenatale View Post
    You could try pulling a few extra shifts at the strip club.
    well thats a really nice thing to say.

To op, just go on a cut and do some squats, deadlifts etc. You couldnt gain much on 3 months anyways, and you wont gain anything if you are cutting. But you could lose a decent amount of fat in 3 months.

don't forget nutrition, what you put in your body is war your going to get out.

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm pretty happy with my body, and I've been going to the gym 3 times a week for 3 months. I just don't want to feel like the effort I am putting in is useless or I'm not doing it correctly. Right now I do a lot of things like donkey kicks, fire hydrants, pulses, calf raises, and hamstring isolations. Then I do sumo squats with 35 lbs and a hamstring machine with 80 lbs 3x 15. I do 100 lbs of the squat machine 3 x 10. What exactly is my current routine doing (is it cutting weight or is it adding muscle?) and at this point should I eat less calories and eat healthy, or pack on the protein shakes??

Thanks!

Originally Posted by yemff View Post
    well thats a really nice thing to say.

To op, just go on a cut and do some squats, deadlifts etc. You couldnt gain much on 3 months anyways, and you wont gain anything if you are cutting. But you could lose a decent amount of fat in 3 months.
    What is cutting?

IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) IndianChief616 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Im pretty sure sumo squats will work for quads more and make your legs look bigger. Try something simple but effective, find an empty room and start with 1 body weight squat then walk to the other side of the room and do 2 squats, then walk back and do 3 squats, repeat that up to 20 times. In total it will be about 249 reps if you go up to 20 times. I did it once a couple weeks ago and it felt like my butt/hams were on fire the next day. Cutting is when you reduce the amount of calories you need to maintain your body weight but doing that will cause you to lose muscle weight and fat. Keep it simple and stick with it to see results.
    I am Legion, for we are many.

Science is my religion. Newton, Einstein, Galileo, Copernicus, Faraday, and Darwin are my prophets.

----Will remove this when Lions win the superbowl.----

izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    cutting means eating in a calorie deficit. that's not what you need to do. it'll make you smaller but you'll still have the same shape/cellulite issues etc, because there's no such thing as spot reduction for fat (short of surgery).

if you want a bigger butt you have to eat in a calorie surplus for a while (which means you'll gain some fat, there's no helping that) while lifting heavier - squats with 35lbs is basically cardio, that's not doing anything. and there aren't a lot of exercises that strictly isolate glutes - most will come with some quad and hamstring activation too. but really you shouldn't mind that, since then when you cut down to a lower body fat after your building phase, you'll have nice firm legs with a better shape instead of "skinny" ones. learn to squat and deadlift properly so that you can go heavier and actually make a difference, preferably with a program like Stronglifts.

it takes years of work to see a big difference, though, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by elizabethw22 View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. I'm pretty happy with my body, and I've been going to the gym 3 times a week for 3 months. I just don't want to feel like the effort I am putting in is useless or I'm not doing it correctly. Right now I do a lot of things like donkey kicks, fire hydrants, pulses, calf raises, and hamstring isolations. Then I do sumo squats with 35 lbs and a hamstring machine with 80 lbs 3x 15. I do 100 lbs of the squat machine 3 x 10. What exactly is my current routine doing (is it cutting weight or is it adding muscle?) and at this point should I eat less calories and eat healthy, or pack on the protein shakes??

Thanks!
    This is what I'm going for.
    Attached Images

db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is what I'm going for.
    She doesn't have that much muscle. What is your starting point?
    Steak and eggs and eggs and steak.

My Training Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158447513

skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ask in the womens section, they have a squat booty thread

Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ilesey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Pics?

Originally Posted by db1b18 View Post
    She doesn't have that much muscle. What is your starting point?
    Starting point:
    Attached Images

db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Starting point:
    Looks like a good base to me. Although the pic isn't the greatest. Just keep building muscle. Concentrate on the glutes and hams if you don't want the bulky legs look. IMO the girl in the picture is kinda skinny a lot of people would probably consider you already ahead of her... nonetheless:

I'd start with regular back squats full range of motion, then glute ham raises, stiff leg deadlifts or whatever posterior chain exercises you wish to use. Then move on to a couple of isolation machines if you must.

Don't neglect the squats. As heavy as you can for 8-10 reps or thereabout.

Also as above poster mentioned, hit up the womens forum. There are some fine physiques over there I'm sure they can give you a few tips. The female body probably doesn't develop exactly the same as the male body so they would be the best help.

Good luck!
    Steak and eggs and eggs and steak.

My Training Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158447513

Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000) Neezaa is just really nice. (+1000)
    Squat heavier. What do you consider bulky legs? Examples?

Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by izzygrant View Post
    cutting means eating in a calorie deficit. That's not what you need to do. It'll make you smaller but you'll still have the same shape/cellulite issues etc, because there's no such thing as spot reduction for fat (short of surgery).

If you want a bigger butt you have to eat in a calorie surplus for a while (which means you'll gain some fat, there's no helping that) while lifting heavier - squats with 35lbs is basically cardio, that's not doing anything. And there aren't a lot of exercises that strictly isolate glutes - most will come with some quad and hamstring activation too. But really you shouldn't mind that, since then when you cut down to a lower body fat after your building phase, you'll have nice firm legs with a better shape instead of "skinny" ones. Learn to squat and deadlift properly so that you can go heavier and actually make a difference, preferably with a program like stronglifts.

It takes years of work to see a big difference, though, unfortunately.
    ^^^
    THIS

If you legs are big without being "toned" it's because of the body fat that is on top of the muscle. Women tend to carry a lot of fat in the legs, butt and tummy. These are often the last areas to lean out and most women are surprised that they actually have a lot less muscle than the first thought. If you are in calorie deficit you won't be gaining a whole heap of muscle. I'm not sure of your stats but your first step may be to diet (aka cut) while lifting to reduce your body fat percentage. You can then think about bulking at a calorie surplus to build some muscle.

You may find this thread useful >>> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=150759963

EDIT: I just saw your pics... you are pretty small. Like a lot of women, myself included, your biggest challenge is likely being under-muscled. I think you could probably bulk first to build some muscle and then when you cut later, you'll have firmer and more shapely legs/butt.

Check out this article too >>> http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...mass-gain.html

^^^ this
    best reply in the thred go figure... Anyone surprised it's from a fellow female? I'm not

iuliamaddie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iuliamaddie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iuliamaddie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iuliamaddie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iuliamaddie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iuliamaddie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iuliamaddie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iuliamaddie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iuliamaddie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iuliamaddie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iuliamaddie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    "Toned" is achieved by adding/preserving muscle mass while reducing BF%. Eat maintenance calories, keep lifting, be very patient=slow body recomp. If you do it right, your butt will look
    rounder/bigger.

ETA: Adding muscle mass while cutting fat is nearly impossible unless you are a complete begginer, though.

Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Hi everyone,

I'm coming to you for advice because I cannot seem to find a straight answer from anyone concerning a precise plan I should do.

I'm a 22 year old female, I used to be a dancer, and I want to get a round butt again. However, my thighs and calf muscles tend to get extremely big without getting toned (making them look fat) when I do squats and lunges. My goal is to get a round, firm, plump butt with skinny/toned legs. Is it possible to have both?

Right now I am 5'7'' and 124 pounds. My butt is plump, but has more fat at the bottom of it, and
    . I have a skinny waist (23 inches), so I am not looking to lose too much weight, except for my lower area where I have a bit of cellulite and 34 inch hip/thigh.

My question is, is there a plan that could help me loose just enough fat on my butt to help with the cellulite and thighs, but then add muscle on my butt and tone my legs? I have 3/4 months until spring break.

Specific questions: how much weight, how many reps, then for how long? When do I progress? Is there a different plan for losing weight and then adding muscle, or can they be done at the same time? If you recommend squats, I never get sore from them and don't feel them working, no matter how many reps or weight I add on. Any ideas?

Best,
    Elizabeth
    Cut bf first. If not satisfied, gain muscle while gaining as little fat as possible. If still not satisfied, do glute specific exercises only. Do not do things like squats and lunges.

DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJKiel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi everyone,

Best,
    Elizabeth
    Yup. One of my ex-girlfriendswas Miss Mass. Her secret was mountain climbers and body squats. Good luck!!
    Check out my Lifestyle Medicine blog: www.youtube.com/user/DrJohnKiel

Thanks for everyone's replies. They are really helpful!

Just to give me a comparison, what do VS models do to get their bodies versus body building? Is it all cutting and low weight/high rep?

Just to give me a comparison, what do VS models do to get their bodies versus body building? Is it all cutting and low weight/high rep?
    They don't do anything different if you're talking natural bodybuilding. It's just that models are more concerned with muscle definition than they are size (even though bodybuilders are actually leaner). You can have a scrawny model but you can't have a fat one. They still do have a fair good amount of muscle mass on as well but nowhere near bodybuilders.

Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Agree with this post

VVVVV

Originally Posted by Krugg View Post
    They don't do anything different if you're talking natural bodybuilding. It's just that models are more concerned with muscle definition than they are size (even though bodybuilders are actually leaner). You can have a scrawny model but you can't have a fat one. They still do have a fair good amount of muscle mass on as well but nowhere near bodybuilders.
    Miranda Kerr training for the VS show.....

There are only two things you can affect in your body... the amount of muscle that you have and the amount of fat that you have. If you just do cardio while you lose weight you lose both muscle and fat which means you end up just becoming a smaller version of the same body composition. This means that if you have fatty areas (like butt, thighs etc) you will still have them, you'll just be smaller overall. If you lift heavy weights while dieting you preserve as much muscle as possible which means a greater percentage of your weight loss comes from fat. This means you will be smaller but also appear tighter and firmer. It takes years and years to build muscle as a female because we don't have the testosterone. If you lift weights and diet you'll end up closer to a VS model than a bodybuilder. You may find though, like most women, that you still have some jiggly bits (VS models still have genetics on their side). You may need to switch gears and bulk to build up a bit more muscle, so that you can eventually lower your body fat further, to get rid of those stubborn areas. Good luck.

Thanks. That was really helpful.