HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000)

ISS Oh Yeah! Chocolate & Caramel: Review by HalleluYAH

ISS Oh Yeah! Chocolate & Caramel
    Review by HalleluYAH

Okay, I just ate my very first Oh Yeah! protein bar. This is my review...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/core/pwo.html

What's In It?
    Serving Size: 1 Bar

Amount Per Serving:
    Calories 380
    Calories from Fat 180
    Total Fat 19g 30%
    Saturated Fat 7g 33%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 3.5g
    Monounsaturated Fat 7g
    Cholesterol 5mg 1%
    Sodium 130mg 5%
    Total Carbohydrate 31g 10%
    Dietary Fiber 4g 15%
    Sugars 8g
    Sugar Alcohol 15g*
    Protein 26g 52%
    Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 6%
    Iron 10%

Ingredients:
    Peanuts, Protein Blend [(Oh Yeah! Blend Consisting of Whey Protein Isolate, Soy Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate), Hydrolyzed Gelatin], Chocolate Coating [Chocolate Liquor, Maltitol, Cocoa Butter, Sodium Caseinate, Milk Fat, Soy Lecithin (An Emulsifier), Sucralose, Vanillin (An Artificial Flavor), Vanilla and Salt], Caramel (Sugar, Corn Syrup, Non Fat Dry Milk, Maltitol Syrup, Cocoa Butter, Corn Starch, Butter, Sucralose, Soy Lecithin, Natural And Artificial Flavor), Soy Nuts, Glycerine, Peanut Flour, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Lecithin (An Emulsifier), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Salt, Sucralose And Potassium Sorbate Added As A Preservative.

Formulation:

Protein:
    I like the total protein (PRO) count at 26g. I love the inclusion of whey isolate and Milk Proteins. I do not like that the some of PRO content is derived from Soy, but that is my prejudice. Whether or not Soy protein isolate itself has estrogenic properties remains to be seen (soy contains phytoestrogens).

Carbohydrates:
    Total carbs (CHO) are listed at 31g. This is a nice amount for a protein/MRP bar. That said, I do not like the inclusion of sugar alcohols. I personally believe they are overrated for fat loss, could be bad for the GI tract, and possibly bad for overall health when used regularly. Bottom line is they are low GI (glycemic index) and this is likely because the are indigestible. While this may be good for fat loss, it is not ideal for other reasons. A total of 15g of sugar alcohol once per week would be fine, but 2-3 x per day would concern me, and constipation would likely ensue.

Formulation Other:
    The formulation seems relatively free from chemical compounds, thus I was wiling to give this a try.

Formulation Sub-Rating: 6.5/10

Texture:
    Crunchy and not overly chewy. Felt like I was eating food and not chemicals.

Texture Sub-Rating: 8/10

Taste:
    I was very impressed with the flavor. It definitely tasted better than 75% of the chocolate protein bars out there. Chocolatey, nutty, and chewy.

Taste Sub-Rating: 8.5/10

Value:
    At it?s current price on bb.com of 1.92 per bar, Oh Yeah! is competitively priced. The product could be used as a snack or MRP.

Value Sub-Rating: 8/10

Overall Product Rating: 7.75/10

Other:
    If it were not for the soy protein and sugar alcohol (denoted in red in the supplement facts at the top, I would have rate the product much higher.
    Last edited by HalleluYAH; 02-23-2007 at 01:06 PM.
    Psalms 51:10-13

Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nice review Hal. Glad you liked the taste.