Nagges187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nagges187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nagges187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nagges187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nagges187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Decline sit ups with weight.. do you feel it in your abs or lower back?

I was told by a reputable strength coach to do one set of weighted abs to failure (20 reps or less) every time i work out, and last time i did 20 with a 35lb dumbbell, and felt it more in my abs than back.

today i took out the 40lb dumbell and boy did i feel it in my lower back more. I feel it more in the abs on the descending part, and way more in my lower back when i'm coming back up.

Should I drop back down to the 35 to really feel it in my abs, or stick with the 40 until i can get 20 solid reps?

oh yeah, and the main question, where do you feel it more when you do decline situps with weight?
    6'3, 195, 21yo

Reveal the Steel

|ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Nagges187 View Post
    I was told by a reputable strength coach to do one set of weighted abs to failure (20 reps or less) every time i work out, and last time i did 20 with a 35lb dumbbell, and felt it more in my abs than back.

today i took out the 40lb dumbell and boy did i feel it in my lower back more. I feel it more in the abs on the descending part, and way more in my lower back when i'm coming back up.

Should I drop back down to the 35 to really feel it in my abs, or stick with the 40 until i can get 20 solid reps?

oh yeah, and the main question, where do you feel it more when you do decline situps with weight?
    You don't necessarily need to keep the weight high and reps low to have great abs. Many top pros have developed great abs with high rep, low weight schemes.

Be careful with your back. Nothing can derail your lifting more than an injured back (or maybe injured shoulders, too). I used to do weighted situps on a decline bench with two 45 lb dumbbells across my chest so I would fail around 25-30 reps, but I got lower back pain doing it. Switched to a single 45 lb plate and lower back doesn't hurt anymore. The reps are higher, but I still get a burn.

Another thing to keep in mind is that depending on your goals, lower rep, high weight resistance contributes to muscle growth. This can mean strong, but big abs. And while we all want a six pack, most want a slim waist, too.

Just some things to keep in mind.
    It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray

Mods - my avatar is locked by the admin and can't be changed.

Xtreme_Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xtreme_Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xtreme_Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xtreme_Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xtreme_Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xtreme_Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xtreme_Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Nagges187 View Post

Remember to not go down all the way in the decline situp (if thats what your doing... I go just to that "breaking point" in which your lowerback takes over..Im sure you know what Im talking about and if not try it next time and you will. Also your lower back will take over once your abdominals fail, so again...higher reps with lower weight is desirable and will give good results. Also if you did it two workouts in a row, that can be very demanding of your abs. (which is why your lowerback may have had to overcomensate for youre abs and taken over the movement)
    "Tell me I can't. I'll prove you wrong"
    -Self Quoted

"Energy and persistence conquer all things."
    -Benjamin Franklin

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible."
    -Arthur C. Clarke

"Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true."
    -Leon J. Suenes

Nagges187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nagges187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nagges187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nagges187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nagges187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yea i know about that breaking point.. thats where i feel it in my abs more. I guess i won't go down all the way, and ill drop the weight to 35 and up the reps to 25 or so.

also, 2 workouts "in a row" for me is on 2 non-consecutive days (rippetoes)

do you think its still that demanding?
    6'3, 195, 21yo

Reveal the Steel

|ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hey, a little OT, but Nagges, I noticed in your sig that you are bulking until May.

If you wanna be cut for summer:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1557371

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray

Mods - my avatar is locked by the admin and can't be changed.

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Lightbulb

Try holding the weight behind your head instead of on your chest.
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

SeaSiren is just really nice. (+1000) SeaSiren is just really nice. (+1000) SeaSiren is just really nice. (+1000) SeaSiren is just really nice. (+1000) SeaSiren is just really nice. (+1000) SeaSiren is just really nice. (+1000) SeaSiren is just really nice. (+1000) SeaSiren is just really nice. (+1000) SeaSiren is just really nice. (+1000) SeaSiren is just really nice. (+1000) SeaSiren is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've always done them to the "breaking point" as well. Adding weight didn't seem to effect this, but the larger plates are awkward for me. I'm going to try the weight behind the head to see how that feels.

nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nevergain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Way to bump a 6 year old thread. Negged