TxAggie2006 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Body Fat % Stalled... Any Suggestions?

Hello.
    I am 5'10", 220. 19-21% BF. I follow the P.H.A.T. routine and I do HIIT cardio 3x a week, regular cardio 2x a week, Sunday only true rest day. So I am in the gym for about 2 hours every day except Sunday and Wednesday (cardio only, so 1 hour).
    I follow a Palumbo/Keto diet, with about 280-300g protein/100g fat/ less than 30g carbs daily. Roughly 2000-2300 calories, most often on the low side of that.
    I weighed in at nearly 400lbs 24 months ago, dropped to 185 about 12 months ago (19-21% BF). I have a ton of loose skin.
    I have been "cutting" for almost 3 months now, hovering between 205-220lbs, and most recently very stuck between 210-220.
    My BMR is around 1950 and TDEE is over 3000.

What do you guys suggest I do to break through!? My goal is 10% BF and I don't care about the weight. The more mass, the better! The mass I have put back on seems legit since my BF is measuring the same since 185, but I wonder if my loose skin is skewing results??? What adjustments should I make in order to get those last 30 lbs of fat off???
    Is it unsafe to drop below BMR with this much physical activity? I am dangerously close to doing so already.

Thanks in advance.

T
    Last edited by TxAggie2006; 12-19-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Accuracy

paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I wouldn't drop below BMR even if you were doing nothing. BMR is what you need as a base, if you need it there's no questioning.
    But I see you never mentioned refeeds, many say they help break stalls. Could it be the answer?
    'Name one thing that did not last but was worth it'
    'Chicken'

Patience, grasshopper. NorthernMusicia's Avatar
    NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you drop below BMR, your body still has to get calories to operate. You're much more likely to lose some muscle mass doing that.
    Exercise isn't diet. Diet isn't exercise. Defiantly building muscle.

Refeed

I do refeed once a week, usually for 36 hour period after depletion workout Saturday, but I think I am a bit high on protein on those days. Not crazy high and the weight I put on in those 36 hours drops off within 48 hours of end of refeed, usually 24-36 hours.
    Thanks.

paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paleorainy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by TxAggie2006 View Post
    I do refeed once a week, usually for 36 hour period after depletion workout Saturday, but I think I am a bit high on protein on those days. Not crazy high and the weight I put on in those 36 hours drops off within 48 hours of end of refeed, usually 24-36 hours.
    Thanks.
    Lol I know I will sound like I'm trying all options but if you refeed once a week, for 1.5 days, that ups your weight for another 1.5 days to deplete then have 4 days losing weight before your next refeed. But you said your bodyfat hasn't budged.
    Would you try going for a longer time without a refeed?
    'Name one thing that did not last but was worth it'
    'Chicken'

I was thinking the same. Maybe refeed every two weeks? I am also going to add supplements in to the mix. Right now, it is caffeine only.

Originally Posted by paleorainy View Post
    Lol I know I will sound like I'm trying all options but if you refeed once a week, for 1.5 days, that ups your weight for another 1.5 days to deplete then have 4 days losing weight before your next refeed. But you said your bodyfat hasn't budged.
    Would you try going for a longer time without a refeed?
    Can you give me an idea about what my calorie intake should be? Am I too low with 2200?

mac28024 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sounds like we're in a similar boat, so maybe we can help each other. I'm about 5'8" and weigh about 160. I weighed 240 almost 3 years ago (as a reference). My current keto split is about 65 fats, 24 protein, 10 carbs (not counting fiber), and I'm taking in approximately 2100-2300 calories a day. I work a desk job and workout 5-6 days a week (usually 4 strength days, 1 or 2 cardio days), and on my strength days I'm usually in the gym for maybe an hour to an hour and 15, but I'm constantly active (no standing around or sitting between sets).

I have a problem of not being able to get rid of the fat around the love handle/ lower back area, and lower abdominal area. I've also been wondering if my is more skin, but it's thick so this leads me to believe that it may be both. I was going down as far as 1700-1800 calories a day and would drop down to around 153, but it was hard to go any lower.

Anyway, I say all of that to say that if you're 5'10", 220, and eating 2000-2300 calories a day then something sounds off. From my perspective, you're 60 lbs heavier than me, and eating approximately the same calories...maybe your calories are too low. Also, it sounds like your protein is pretty high for keto. I'm taking in about 160-170 (maybe) in protein each day and about as many grams of fat.

I would suggest increasing your fats, decreasing your protein, and (what I'm going to try doing) not have so many carb up days each month (I carb up every Saturday). Also may want to increase calories. Just my 2 cents. It could be one of or a combination of things. Let us know if you figure it out as I'm working on getting in the single digits myself, I just seem to be missing something.