Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    BodyPoints: 7904
    Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Apeus's BodySpace

Texas rich kid who killed 4 in drunken car crash spared jail

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1544508

A spoiled Texas teen who killed four in a drunken driving accident dodged prison and was sentenced to probation instead after defense lawyers argued his wealthy parents never taught him right from wrong.
    Ethan Couch, 16, was facing 20 years behind bars for the horrific June wreck, but instead walked out of a Fort Worth courtroom Tuesday with 10 years' probation.
    The rich brat's legal team said he needed counseling, not hard time, and proposed sending him to a posh Southern California treatment facility that would cost his family $500,000 a year.

For now, he was set to remain at a juvenile detention center until authorities determined his fate.

State District Judge Jean Boyd's decision to let the teen walk had the victims' families outraged.

"Money always seems to keep [Couch] out of trouble," Eric Boyles, who lost his wife and daughter in the wreck, told the Star-Telegram newspaper.
    "Ultimately today, I felt that money did prevail. If [he] had been any other youth, I feel like the circumstances would have been different."
    The fatal crash occurred on June 15 when Couch, loaded on booze and Valium, lost control of his speeding Ford F-350 pick-up and smashed into a broken-down car beside a road outside Burleson.

Breanna Mitchell, 24, the stranded car's driver, was killed instantly, along with three Good Samaritans who were helping her: mother and daughter Hollie Boyles, 52, and Shelby Boyles, 21; and youth pastor Brian Jennings, 41.
    Seven teens were riding in Couch's car at the time. Two, who were sitting in the truck bed, were critically injured.

One of them, Sergio Molina, remains paralyzed and brain damaged after several months in a coma, and can only communicate by blinking his eye, the Star-Telegram reported.
    Authorities said Couch was going 70 mph on the rural 40 mph stretch, and a breath test showed his blood-alcohol-content was .24 — triple the legal driving limit for someone over 21.

During the trial, prosecutors said Couch and his pals had been partying with beer they stole from Walmart, and were on another booze run when the crash occurred.
    In all, 11 people were injured. Local authorities said the crash scene was the most horrific they've encountered.
    A witness for the defense, psychologist Dr. G. Dick Miller, blamed the boy's parents.

Miller testified that Couch was the troubled product of a broken home who got whatever he wanted from his wealthy parents and didn't understand consequences.

Miller called the teen a victim of "affluenza," a rich-kid syndrome that led him to believe money solved everything.

Couch was never disciplined, abused alcohol and had "freedoms no young person should have," including being allowed to drive when he was 13, Miller said.
    "The teen never learned to say that you're sorry if you hurt someone," Miller said, according to the Star-Telegram. "If you hurt someone, you sent him money."
    The families of his victims said money wouldn't buy their loved ones back.
    Breanna Mitchell's mother, Marla Mitchel, wore some of her cremated daughter's ashes in a locket around her neck during the trial, according to local reports.
    She told the Star-Telegram, "[Couch] is not free. None of us knows what God's plan is. He has not escaped judgment. That is in the hands of a higher power."

Since the teen suffers from "affluenza" then hopefully the civil case takes every dime from his parents.

Seems like the best "treatment" for him, no?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for free-markets, capitalism, and personal responsibility, but since this kid's defense was basically "my parents were rich and because of that didn't raise me right" shouldn't the plantiffs' in a civil case deserve the entirety of the defendants' assets if (when) they win?
    Last edited by Apeus; 12-11-2013 at 06:59 PM.

All men are created equal metroins's Avatar
    Stats: 6'5", 228 lbs
    metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit metroins's BodySpace
    FYI, this is called shock probation and I've seen multiple people in Texas get that sentence for DUI wrecks with permanent bodily injury and death to victims.

It depends on the circumstances leading up to it.

Here's one:

http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austi...in-hit-and-run

Another:
    http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...ling-jarrett-1

One more just for fun:
    http://www.tdcaa.com/node/1986

The probation is extremely strict, and they usually have to attend drug court every week. I prefer rehabilitation versus punishment if the person can be/continue to be a productive member of society.
    Last edited by metroins; 12-11-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    Back on that injury recovery time:
    Squat: 205x5 ATG Goal: 365x1 May 22nd
    Bench: 190x1 Goal: 225x5 Apr 28th
    Deadlift: 405x1 Goal: 500x1 Feb 9th

Life is easy when you take personal responsibility

MMMC - Assistant to the Assistant of the Secretary of Assistance

Dave22reborn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dave22reborn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dave22reborn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dave22reborn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dave22reborn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dave22reborn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dave22reborn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dave22reborn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dave22reborn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dave22reborn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Dave22reborn has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    You think his sentence would be different in an anarchist society?

Stats: 5'7", 170 lbs
    zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit zakatak333's BodySpace
    jimmy rustle justice system

he should hang(serious, not a metaphorical hanging but literally wrap a noose around his neck)
    -pretends to be MGTOW but really just FA crew
    -projected homophobia is indicative of a man in denial of his own homoerotic desires crew
    -manlets should let their wives breed with manmores crew
    -youtube comments are my favorite literature and definitely not the armpit of the internet crew
    -only dates women who vote TEA party and have "End the Fed" bumper stickers

zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) zakatak333 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Originally Posted by metroins View Post
    FYI, this is called shock probation and I've seen multiple people in Texas get that sentence for DUI wrecks with permanent bodily injury and death to victims.

It depends on the circumstances leading up to it.

Here's one:

http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austi...in-hit-and-run

Another:
    http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...ling-jarrett-1

One more just for fun:
    http://www.tdcaa.com/node/1986

The probation is extremely strict, and they usually have to attend drug court every week. I prefer rehabilitation versus punishment if the person can be/continue to be a productive member of society.
    you kidding me, bro?

i advocate rehabilitation when possible but someone who unjistifiably takes FOUR LIVES has earned a death sentence
    -projected homophobia is indicative of a man in denial of his own homoerotic desires crew
    -youtube comments are my favorite literature and definitely not the armpit of the internet crew

Allied Allies Alliance VTheKing's Avatar
    Stats: 6'0", 185 lbs
    VTheKing has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) VTheKing has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) VTheKing has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) VTheKing has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) VTheKing has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) VTheKing has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) VTheKing has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) VTheKing has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) VTheKing has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) VTheKing has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) VTheKing has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit VTheKing's BodySpace
    this is mindblowing

the Onion had an article like that a couple of years ago...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/wea...sequence,2551/

Wealthy Teen Nearly Experiences Consequence
    NEWS • High School • ISSUE 44•39 • Sep 27, 2008
    Facebook2.2K
    Twitter595
    Google Plus30
    SOMERSET, NJ—In what local authorities are calling a "near tragedy," Charles Wentworth, a 17-year-old Rutgers Preparatory senior and member of the affluent Wentworth family, came perilously close to suffering a consequence resulting from his own wrongdoing Saturday.

Wentworth made his senior photo shoot even after coming within inches of an actual repercussion from the accident.

Wentworth, reportedly ignoring the protests of his classmates, got behind the wheel of his turbocharged Supra 2000GT after consuming half the contents of a bottle of Goldschläger at a friend's party. While driving westbound on Route 27, a disoriented Wentworth drifted across two lanes of traffic and collided with a minivan carrying a family of four, bringing the teen face-to-face with a potentially life-altering lesson.

Wentworth escaped unscathed and unpunished, however, when his airbags deployed and a team of high-powered attorneys rushed to the scene and rescued him from the brink of personal responsibility.

"Amazingly, Mr. Wentworth did not experience a single repercussion for consuming alcohol under age or operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated, and is furthermore completely unaware that he did anything wrong," local police chief Marvin Taylor said. "He is a very lucky boy."

"If he had been driving just 5 mph faster, or if his parents hadn't had the influence to keep the matter out of court and the endless financial resources to lease a car of the exact same make and model to prevent him from having to face even the relatively trivial humiliation of being taunted by his peers for driving a slightly less expensive vehicle—my God, who knows what could have happened?" Taylor added. "He could have died or, worse, been held accountable for his actions."

The accident

According to police reports that have since been shredded and stricken from Wentworth's permanent record, when briefly taken into custody, the privileged teenager began swearing, vomiting, and kicking at the windows of the squad car in which he was momentarily placed following the collision. Wentworth later said the only thing that got him through that dark time was thinking of his rich, well-connected loved ones. With them in mind, he repeatedly shouted, "Don't you know who I am?" and summoned the strength to refuse a field sobriety test.

"A lot of kids in Charles' situation would have confessed and accepted punishment for their mistake, but my son is strong," said Wentworth's father, aluminum magnate Herman Wentworth, who after arriving at the crash site told his son that "everything is taken care of," and while Charles sat in his father's BMW texting his friends, loudly threatened to call the police commissioner if any charges were pressed. "Charles would never allow himself to give up and gain valuable insight into the way things work in the real world without a fight."

District Judge and close friend of the Wentworth family Donald Lamb agreed.

"Charles is very lucky to be alive and well-off," Lamb told reporters. "The fact that he was able to walk away from this crash with no injuries, zero remorse, and his skewed priorities in one piece is a miracle."

Despite returning to the safety of his $2.3 million home, Wentworth's harrowing brush with consequence was not over.

A week after the near ordeal, Wentworth was again put in jeopardy of learning a lesson when he was nearly sentenced to 50 hours of community service. Tragedy was averted, however, when his mother paid a consultant to testify before the judge that Wentworth had suffered emotional trauma. Further, during this time, Wentworth was forced to put his video game on pause for several seconds in order to sign affidavits stating that the Breathalyzer was administered improperly.

"To think that I was that close to seeing that there is an entire society with its own laws and standards outside my protected sphere of wealth and privilege—it's frightening," Wentworth said. "It almost makes you consider your actions and their impact on others. Almost."

"I'm just grateful I can finally get back to my life as a self-centered prick who believes the entire world revolves around him," Wentworth added. "After all, I was just admitted to Columbia despite almost failing out of high school because I rarely attended class, and it would have been a shame to have had to defer for a semester just because of some legal...unpleasantry."

At press time, Wentworth is resting comfortably on a six-figure inheritance in a chaise lounge by his backyard pool. The other four victims of the crash remain in intensive care at St. Peter's University Hospital, suffering from conditions ranging from poor to lower-class.

Can't believe this is real tea.
    Vincit Omnia Industria

Canucks, Browns, Cavs, Indians, Whitecaps, Botafogo

metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) metroins has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Originally Posted by zakatak333 View Post
    you kidding me, bro?

i advocate rehabilitation when possible but someone who unjistifiably takes FOUR LIVES has earned a death sentence
    I disagree and feel jail should be for those offenders who need to be kept away from other people due to safety concerns. Removing driving privileges, requiring counseling/drug tests and renumeration will hopefully rehabilitate the people. Jail time doesn't fix any problems for these type of incidents and wouldn't make anybody safer, but would cost tax payers thousands of dollars; I also feel the state should not have the power to end lives.

We have a differing view on how the criminal punishment system should work, that's all. The people didn't go out and intentionally try to harm people, they were negligent, but not intentional.

I'll start lifting later. tential's Avatar
    tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    "The rich brat's legal team said he needed counseling, not hard time, and proposed sending him to a posh Southern California treatment facility that would cost his family $500,000 a year."
    What kind of counseling costs 500k a year?
    Am I the ONLY one that read that part?

Stats: 5'11", 180 lbs
    BodyPoints: 19112
    hardestgainer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) hardestgainer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) hardestgainer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) hardestgainer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) hardestgainer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) hardestgainer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) hardestgainer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) hardestgainer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) hardestgainer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) hardestgainer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) hardestgainer has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit hardestgainer's BodySpace
    I disagree and feel jail should be for those offenders who need to be kept away from other people due to safety concerns. Removing driving privileges, requiring counseling/drug tests and renumeration will hopefully rehabilitate the people. Jail time doesn't fix any problems for these type of incidents and wouldn't make anybody safer, but would cost tax payers thousands of dollars; I also feel the state should not have the power to end lives.

We have a differing view on how the criminal punishment system should work, that's all. The people didn't go out and intentionally try to harm people, they were negligent, but not intentional.
    I actually agree, I dont think this kid should get 20 years in prison or the death penalty. Aslo stong article, calling him 'spoiled' and a 'rich bastard' just in the first paragraph. Also 10 years of probation is a long time, and if it is as strict as metroins is saying, only one of two things can happen. One, he takes it seriously and goes from being a stupid 16 year old, to a responsible adult who still has to live his whole life knowing a very stupid decision in high school took four peoples lives. Or two, he doesnt get serious and violates probation causing him to go to jail.

Also was anything mentioned about any of the other drunk teens in the truck? Should any of them also be punished even though technically they werent the one behind the wheel?
    only miscer negged by Ryan Deluca
    **Bayern Munchen Crew**
    **German-Hungarian Crew**
    AZ Sports Crew
    Ron Paul 2008 & 2012 & 2016
    "Over 90% of muscle gain is stretching" - ReppinRyan & AnimalAdam

cannadian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) cannadian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) cannadian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) cannadian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) cannadian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) cannadian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) cannadian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) cannadian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) cannadian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) cannadian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) cannadian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Originally Posted by tential View Post
    "The rich brat's legal team said he needed counseling, not hard time, and proposed sending him to a posh Southern California treatment facility that would cost his family $500,000 a year."
    Why don't they donate that money to the family's of the people their son killed instead?
    Gary Johnson
    2013 Investing Returns: 43.1%

Stock Positions:
    NASDAQ: AAPL
    TSE: TGL

tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tential has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    I'm sorry everything I'm reading in here seems too impossible to be true.
    Did I just stumble into the troll section of the misc where you guys post troll articles on unawares?

Originally Posted by cannadian View Post
    Why don't they donate that money to the family's of the people their son killed instead?
    500k a year is quite a nice stimulus in the economy. That can employ like 2-3 psychiatrists in that treatment facility.

there are two things to consider when appraising the severity of a crime

1) outcome...how much and what kind of damage was done

2) intention...how much and what kind of damage was intended to be done

both things need to be considered, not just intention

Originally Posted by zakatak333 View Post
    there are two things to consider when appraising the severity of a crime

1) outcome...how much and what kind of damage was done

2) intention...how much and what kind of damage was intended to be done

both things need to be considered, not just intention
    The outcome is extremely important, I feel intent has more to do with jail/prison and outcome has more to do with severity of punishment.

IE: Burglarize home and kill somebody = 10+ years, intent and outcome

Shooting guns while drunk on farm and shoot in air, bullet comes down killing somebody. 10 years probation and award compensation.

It's case by case, if the defendant is a scum bag with no future and recidivism is likely, then jail. If the person can be rehabilitated then so be it and have their next ten years devoted to the victim/cause etc

Nothing will bring back the dead, having an otherwise productive individual sit in jail and cost tax payers money is inefficient unless there is a future threat.

3stripes has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 3stripes has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 3stripes has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 3stripes has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 3stripes has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 3stripes has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 3stripes has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 3stripes has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 3stripes has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 3stripes has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 3stripes has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)

Drunk driving and killing people is intentional. He was old enough to know the consequences of his actions and he should spend at least 15-20 inside for murder. He's scum
    Elizabeth Warren for President

Hilary clinton for VP (Just for the laughs)

Rich Roll and Brendan Brazier in charge of sports and Nutrition

ScubaStevo has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ScubaStevo has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ScubaStevo has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ScubaStevo has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ScubaStevo has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ScubaStevo has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ScubaStevo has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ScubaStevo has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ScubaStevo has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ScubaStevo has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ScubaStevo has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Can someone post an actual "news" article and not a poorly written opinion piece?

Seriously, you expect me to read and value a source that uses the term "spoiled brat" and "rich brat"?
    ❤♚ Conservative Crew ♚❤

┊  ┊  ┊  ┊
    ┊  ┊  ┊  ★
    ┊  ┊  ☆
    ┊  ★

The outcome is extremely important, I feel intent has more to do with jail/prison and outcome has more to do with severity of punishment.
    wtfamireading.jpg

IE: Burglarize home and kill somebody = 10+ years, intent and outcome

Shooting guns while drunk on farm and shoot in air, bullet comes down killing somebody. 10 years probation and award compensation.

It's case by case, if the defendant is a scum bag with no future and recidivism is likely, then jail. If the person can be rehabilitated then so be it and have their next ten years devoted to the victim/cause etc

Nothing will bring back the dead, having an otherwise productive individual sit in jail and cost tax payers money is inefficient unless there is a future threat.
    a justice system that focuses solely on a criminal's potential for recidivism vs. rehabilitation is a system that fails to deliver justice

i'll be damed if some mass murdering psychopath gets some intensive probation B.S. because he happens to have two PhD's and says he won't do it again SMH

also, there IS a need to examine each case independently, but there is also a reasonable limit to the contrast of action that should be taken by the justice system for two similar crimes where the details are different

Originally Posted by 3stripes View Post
    Drunk driving and killing people is intentional. He was old enough to know the consequences of his actions and he should spend at least 15-20 inside for murder. He's scum
    i suppose a drunk person COULD use a vehicle as a murder weapon, but more often than not its a situation of the driver being too intoxicated to properly handle the vehicle

should he spend 15-20 years in prison? no, IMO he should hang but if its gonna be prison then its gotta be life without parole

also, i wouldn't say he's a scum bag...he's a guy who got drunk and inadvertently ended four lives without just cause...if it was intentional killing then i'd say he's a scum bag... but accidental doesn't mean scum bag it just means an unfortunate situation for everybody...and the people who lost their lives deserve retribution(whether the person responsible wanted to end their lives or not)

Originally Posted by ScubaStevo View Post
    Can someone post an actual "news" article and not a poorly written opinion piece?

Seriously, you expect me to read and value a source that uses the term "spoiled brat" and "rich brat"?
    opinion articles have the tendency to rustle my jimmies too

so i try to ignore the author's bias and discuss political theory as it pertains to the facts and hypotheticals

Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Apeus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Apeus's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by ScubaStevo View Post

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture...n-is-parenting

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/us/texas-teen-dwi-wreck/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4426722.html

You're right, I should have posted a legitimate source last night, the Daily News article was the first link I had seen, and I had drank a lot of whiskey.

Stats: 6'2", 190 lbs
    tsbalr120 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tsbalr120 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tsbalr120 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tsbalr120 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tsbalr120 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tsbalr120 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tsbalr120 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tsbalr120 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tsbalr120 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tsbalr120 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) tsbalr120 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit tsbalr120's BodySpace

Angry

Should be tarred and feathered. Srs.

Have lost to many friends and family to ****tards drinking and driving.

Maybe a little harsh. At least should be mailed pictures of the poeple he killed for the rest of his life so he lives in misery til he dies.
    **Arkansas Razorbacks**
    Football | Basketball | Baseball

Pittsburgh Steelers
    Pittsburgh Penguins
    Chicago Bulls
    Pittsburgh Pirates

RIKTER has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RIKTER has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RIKTER has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RIKTER has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RIKTER has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RIKTER has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RIKTER has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RIKTER has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RIKTER has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RIKTER has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) RIKTER has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    I agree, if he killed some kids in the next town, then yes, get him some therapy...oh wait, you mean if he killed my kids, then fry his ass!!

Overdosing On Reality Turbomunkey's Avatar
    Stats: 6'0", 190 lbs
    BodyPoints: 6891
    Turbomunkey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turbomunkey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turbomunkey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turbomunkey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turbomunkey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turbomunkey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turbomunkey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turbomunkey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turbomunkey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turbomunkey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Turbomunkey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Turbomunkey's BodySpace
    This is why I cant take life seriously anymore
    Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

Stats: 6'4", 220 lbs
    whiteboyy09 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) whiteboyy09 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) whiteboyy09 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) whiteboyy09 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) whiteboyy09 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) whiteboyy09 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) whiteboyy09 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) whiteboyy09 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) whiteboyy09 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) whiteboyy09 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) whiteboyy09 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit whiteboyy09's BodySpace
    Was facing only 20 years..... Wow. Life just isn't worth anything I guess. Killing people by drunk driving is murder plain and simple this phaggot needs to be shot in front of his dumbass parents. 4 dead and 1 kid brain dead and we have people in here saying he shouldn't be given death sentence

ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

So.. i'll shoot your daughter in the face but am in no need of care, it was just a one time thing, don't have a drug problem either... according to you i should just walk?

The truth is that society demands justice for the lives that this kid took and rightfully so, the law isn't only about making sure the criminals don't hurt too much through their way of the justice system, it's also about making sure that everyone understands that if you do this, you're going to have to pay the price.

Your view of how the criminal punish system should work is unmatched in the history of all nations on earth, there is not ONE other nation where this person would walk out of court a free man. In fact, almost all nations have a mandatory prison sentence for a DUI except the US and the reason is obvious when you look at what happened.

Resident Liberal Elite NeoKantian's Avatar
    NeoKantian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NeoKantian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NeoKantian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NeoKantian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NeoKantian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NeoKantian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NeoKantian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NeoKantian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NeoKantian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NeoKantian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) NeoKantian has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    lol. It's funny to think about people complaining about the poor and food stamps.

BRB, rich
    BRB, kill people
    BRB, judge orders joke punishment

Let's just hope the people he killed were poor.
    "God help us; we're in the hands of engineers." - JP Quote

Please Donate to Help Cure Hearing Loss:
    http://hearinghealthfoundation.org/
    http://hearinglosscure.stanford.edu/

ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ImproperOne has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by tential View Post
    The cocaine factory, now with all new child prostitutes from Brazil.

Don't Treadmill On Me FawkinJuicy's Avatar
    Stats: 6'4", 200 lbs
    FawkinJuicy has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FawkinJuicy has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FawkinJuicy has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FawkinJuicy has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FawkinJuicy has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FawkinJuicy has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FawkinJuicy has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FawkinJuicy has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FawkinJuicy has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FawkinJuicy has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) FawkinJuicy has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit FawkinJuicy's BodySpace
    I'm rustled. Only in America could somebody who kills 4 innocent people driving drunk not see one day of prison time, yet somebody who smokes a plant alone in the confines of their own home goes to jail for multiple years.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Fed, of the United States of Bernakistan, and to the S&P 500 for which it stands, one ponzi, under Federal Reserve Notes, with debt-serfdom and food stamps for all." - Michael Kreiger

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H.L. Mencken

Stats: 5'9", 160 lbs
    nightmare69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nightmare69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nightmare69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nightmare69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nightmare69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nightmare69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nightmare69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nightmare69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nightmare69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nightmare69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nightmare69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit nightmare69's BodySpace
    The kid should be in prison instead of going to a resort style rehab center in Cali that cost 500K. Just goes to show you that when selecting a lawyer, you get what you pay for.
    The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now out numbered by those who vote for a living.

Misc Firearms Crew
    Bicycle Crew

Originally Posted by FawkinJuicy View Post
    I'm rustled. Only in America could somebody who kills 4 innocent people driving drunk not see one day of prison time, yet somebody who smokes a plant alone in the confines of their own home goes to jail for multiple years.
    Indeed, i am aware of no other nation where the DUI alone isn't mandatory prison time. That's not counting the involuntary manslaughter that he was convicted of.

But hey, if i shoot someone in the face i can say "i didn't know any better because my parents threw me out on the street when i was 13" and that will make everything ok.

The judge should serve 10 years with him for this.

I say 10 years because it's an apt punishment, enough to get the kid straight (lol) and the judge homeless which he deserves to be, and everyone who considers driving drunk can take a look and see that it's not worth it.

Visit Apeus's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by ImproperOne View Post
    Indeed, i am aware of no other nation where the DUI alone isn't mandatory prison time.
    There's a few.

Couple weeks ago there was a video from South Korea where a drunk woman hit a guy on a bicycle and got chased down by a taxi driver and guy in a Porsche.

Found a follow up story and it said she plead guilty but only had to pay the victim.

One of the comments said that was pretty common in Korea.

I'm pretty sure in some Middle Eastern countries you can even avoid jail for murder if the family is willing to accept payment for the death.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast