scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000)

lack of spotter = slower gains on chest exercises?

Hi Guys

As some of you may have read on some of my earlier posts, Ive trained on and off for many years since my late teens, but was always plagued by shoulder problems. Then after a rotator cuff op in May 2012, Ive been training solid, with renewed vigor and good intensity for around 1 year. In that one year, I have made decent gains, due in part to decent muscle building genetics (in my opinion) and I guess muscle memory.

Anyway, month after month, my reps/weights etc have being going up fast and are still are going up on most exercises, but Ive started to see a strong slowdown in certain exercises. For example my main chest exercise is dumbbell decline press on a shallow decline bench which is around 15 degrees. Now my dumbbells have steadily increased from 28kg (62lbs) for 6-8 reps, to most recently 46kg (101lbs). But I was stuck on 7 reps for 3 weeks!! Now Ive been on 8 reps 2 weeks in a row.

Should I accept that this is just normal in bodybuilding. namely that as weights get heavier you start to plateau? Or my other theory is that, given that I'm still progressing on other exercises faster than this, the lack of a spotter is the problem? I always do 2 warm up sets and 1 work set to failure and always give 100% (yes, im one of those just annoyingly screaming when going to failure!!). But often I find that even with 100% effort the last rep can only go half way and gets stuck. If I was getting spotted on a regular basis, would this speed up my progression, or would the effect of this be minimal?

thanks in advance

p.s. I train very early in the morning so not many people are around to spot in the gym

I'd rather be riding! sourmash1973's Avatar
    sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by scotpak1979 View Post
    Hi Guys

As some of you may have read on some of my earlier posts, Ive trained on and off for many years since my late teens, but was always plagued by shoulder problems. Then after a rotator cuff op in May 2012, Ive been training solid, with renewed vigor and good intensity for around 1 year. In that one year, I have made decent gains, due in part to decent muscle building genetics (in my opinion) and I guess muscle memory.

Anyway, month after month, my reps/weights etc have being going up fast and are still are going up on most exercises, but Ive started to see a strong slowdown in certain exercises. For example my main chest exercise is dumbbell decline press on a shallow decline bench which is around 15 degrees. Now my dumbbells have steadily increased from 28kg (62lbs) for 6-8 reps, to most recently 46kg (101lbs). But I was stuck on 7 reps for 3 weeks!! Now Ive been on 8 reps 2 weeks in a row.

Should I accept that this is just normal in bodybuilding. namely that as weights get heavier you start to plateau? Or my other theory is that, given that I'm still progressing on other exercises faster than this, the lack of a spotter is the problem? I always do 2 warm up sets and 1 work set to failure and always give 100% (yes, im one of those just annoyingly screaming when going to failure!!). But often I find that even with 100% effort the last rep can only go half way and gets stuck. If I was getting spotted on a regular basis, would this speed up my progression, or would the effect of this be minimal?

thanks in advance

p.s. I train very early in the morning so not many people are around to spot in the gym
    I've found that not having a spotter really slows me down. Without that support/safety net there, I can never really push myself to my full potential. I plan on getting a cage sometime next year so I can at least go full effort on bar lifts like squats and bench press. You can still do fine on your own, but IMO, much slower than if you have a cage or spotter.
    Beginning Weight (1/13/2013)- 245

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you." -Tyrion Lannister

"Death created time to grow the things it would kill." -Rust Cohle

5 reason you may not be losing weight/have hit a plateau. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160842471

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Deep ends on your programming. If you plan on going to failure, you're going to see a difference.

I think going to failure is not necessary, so it wouldn't have any impact on my training.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Would a spotter increase your level of progression? ?

No.

Your level of commitment and lineal progression over time, will tho!!

creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Lack of spotter? Dude are you that shy?

Man the fux up, take the headphone out of your ear, and ask someone for a quick spot.

Is this thread even serious?

gg
    Last edited by creeks; 12-10-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I rarely have a spotter unless I am maxing, which is rare. Has not negatively affected my progress.

OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by creeks View Post
    Lack of spotter? Dude are you that typical shy retard?

Man the fux up, take the headphone out of your ear, and ask someone for a quick spot.

gg
    It may come as a shock, but some guys in this section don't live at home with mom and actually train at their places of residence.
    If you can't at least be respectful, please don't post.
    Lift heavy things, eat according to your goals.

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

gg
    Phuk off dbag.

OP, while I don't recommend this, but i used to bench without a spotter. I never maxed (except in competitions), but it was slow and steady progression in weight. I have videos somewhere, but I was able to bench 460#....but that 460# was with a spotter. I now work out with a guy and I am a little more aggressive in my weight increases (i am coming off an injury filed 2013), but slow and steady still wins.

Example: If I hit 355 in 5x5, I would increase the weight 5#s. On the next workout I would be careful as to how many 5 reps sets I could do....guess you could say I did it by feel....but I am an experienced lifter and if I felt something twitch or twing, I racked the weight.
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10) creeks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by OzChops View Post
    It may come as a shock, but some guys in this section don't live at home with mom and actually train at their places of residence.
    If you can't at least be respectful, please don't post.
    "p.s. I train very early in the morning so not many people are around to spot in the gym"
    -OP

not my fault you cant read ****bag

"not many people" = some people

also, there are people that work at the gym that will give you a spot. Ive never been to a gym that wouldnt spot me. just man up brah.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Idk OP if a spotter is going to break a bench stall. Maybe just reset 10% lighter and have another go? Or try differnt programming just for your benching in conjunction with the reset, or eat more.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Too injured to lift crew XtremeOCD's Avatar
    XtremeOCD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) XtremeOCD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) XtremeOCD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) XtremeOCD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) XtremeOCD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) XtremeOCD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) XtremeOCD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) XtremeOCD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) XtremeOCD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) XtremeOCD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) XtremeOCD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

gg

"p.s. I train very early in the morning so not many people are around to spot in the gym"
    -OP

also, there are people that work at the gym that will give you a spot. Ive never been to a gym that wouldnt spot me. just man up brah.
    Keep the insults to yourself please
    My Bahamian Photo Album <'))><
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143862181

Feb 2017
    Lumbar fusion (anterior and posterior approach)
    7 incisions
    10 screws
    2 rods
    2 peak cages
    Titanium plate

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP- what are your goals? Strength, BB'ing? If you're doing upwards of 7-8 reps. Add more weight and do less reps, otherwise, do more reps at your current weight until your comfortable with lifting more. If you're lifting for strength you can (and should) drop your reps on your working sets, especially the last 2 sets. I trained for years alone and made consistent gains; I'm now training with a partner and my lifts have been going up faster. But we really push each other hard, and that helps me.
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    -OP

Thanks for completely missing the point of my post.

Maybe I should have gone into more detail to make the message clear.
    There are a number of people here who train alone and have made significant progress.
    Hopefully they will assist the OP where you could only resort to insulting him.
    Lift heavy things, eat according to your goals.

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by scotpak1979 View Post
    Hi Guys

thanks in advance

Originally Posted by sourmash1973 View Post
    I've found that not having a spotter really slows me down. Without that support/safety net there, I can never really push myself to my full potential. I plan on getting a cage sometime next year so I can at least go full effort on bar lifts like squats and bench press. You can still do fine on your own, but IMO, much slower than if you have a cage or spotter.

99% of my training is done without a spotter. (only recently started going to a real gym. Most of my workouts are at home alone).

I dont think it held me back at all. I made lots of functional strength gains never going below 5 reps.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've wondered the same and see someone mentioned using the squat rack. Since you're there early in the morning this might be an option for you. I'd hate to be "that guy" in the squat rack, though.
    I agree I seem to be way more sore after straining like mad to get that last rep... Those ones that feel like you're doing nothing and the spotter has got it all. Invariably you're told, "It was all you!" Love those. Def miss those without a spot.

Originally Posted by OzChops View Post
    Thanks for completely missing the point of my post.

Maybe I should have gone into more detail to make the message clear.
    There are a number of people here who train alone and have made significant progress.
    Hopefully they will assist the OP where you could only resort to insulting him.
    you guys are more sensitive than my grandmother. jeezzzz relax

my advice, although I said it pretty rudely, is good. If you need the spot, get one. It gives you more confidence and you don't have to worry about actually getting yourself in a real problem.

I've trained in my basement alone 70% of the time for almost 6 years now. One really learns their limits this way. I have luckily never had a problem. However, My gains have personally exploded when I joined the power-lifting team and had coaches to spot me.

HAPPY?

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I've trained in my basement alone 70% of the time for almost 6 years now. .... My gains have personally exploded when I joined the power-lifting team and had coaches to spot me.
    So like at 16 when you were pushing cement filled weights, you didnt need a spotter? I can see that. As for the second part about your gains exploding, but that is probably more likely due to puberty then having a "coach to spot you".

This is why we have the >35.... when we can talk about gainz that have nothing to do with "puberty"
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sometimes no spotter is better, check out the vid in the first post, and read the rest of the thread for the lol's.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...e+spotter+fail
    Semper Fi.

Just play the cards you are dealt and STFU.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you will plateau many times in your lifting career, with or without a spotter. realize when its time to deload and ramp back up again!

scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi Guys

Thank for all the replies.

As for being more vocal and asking for a spotter, I have absolutely no problem with that. The problem is though that the few people who are in the gym at that time are on the running machines and probably
    dont have a clue on how to spot properly.

My goals are bodybuilding so ideally I like to keep in the 6-10 type range, thus when I hit 10 reps I move on to the next higher weight.

I think I will keep things as they are, and if I see a guy who knows what he is doing, I will give him a shout for a spot.

Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500)
    You've just hit that wall where it's a lot harder to progress and even 1 rep more is progression

Location: South Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    Idk OP if a spotter is going to break a bench stall. Maybe just reset 10% lighter and have another go? Or try differnt programming just for your benching in conjunction with the reset, or eat more.
    As a relative n00b, this is my understanding. Keep trying to shift the same weight with no progress is just spinning your wheels.
    Change something up, e.g. just a small reset - drop back 10% and take a fresh run-up at it?
    http://www.musclefood.com/IG4833
    http://lastpass.com/f?3497706

Usus est magister optimus.

markusos has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markusos has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markusos has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markusos has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markusos has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markusos has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markusos has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markusos has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markusos has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markusos has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markusos has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

You need a spotter to push your limits

To be able to push yourself over the limits you need someone around who will take care of things if anything goes wrong.

If your going to be doing all alone then half of your mind will be on the safety side (if it's not then your dead).

You can only push yourself off your limits when your mind and body both are concentrated on one main goal and that's the secret of successful body building my friend.

So have a trainer or spotter along with you while your working out.

Peace Mate!

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    I do my heavy chest work with dumbbells, so I don't need a spotter. Don't ever recall asking for a spot in the last 5 years. Of course, once the 130's at my current gym become redundant, I'll need to get a different strategy, or a different gym. But I don't use anything over 110's at the moment, so I'm not worried.

Can you grow without a spotter? Yes. It's a matter of preference. Different strokes for different folks. Main thing is, find what works best for YOU, and stick with that.
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

► ► ►Dirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts ◄ ◄ ◄ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'd rather have no spotter than a bad one. Don't use any atm.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Corpsman 91-99 & forever cmoore's Avatar
    cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Haven't had a spotter in a while (use safeties btw), if you can push yourself independently, it shouldn't matter. I use more bar than bell though. Only thing I've noticed is I need an extra working set to feel the same since there's no extra (forced) rep at the end like you get from a spotter.
    "I'm not a Ninja, but I played one on TV." -cmoore, American Ninja Warrior (ANW 7,8)

"Of all the things I lost during my cut, I miss my mind the most." -cmoore

ShreddySmurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddySmurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddySmurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddySmurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddySmurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddySmurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddySmurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddySmurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddySmurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddySmurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ShreddySmurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    I'd rather have no spotter than a bad one. Don't use any atm.
    I agree here. Doesn't helping thinking you're pushing the boundaries when your spotter is getting a good set of rows out of your "chest workout".

I do think that progression might be a little slower training without a spotter (as I do), as I only really push myself on those days where I'm feeling a little invincible and those days are increasingly more rare. On the other hand, I know that whatever I can lift, I can genuinely lift without help, so there's that.

Finally, gains most certainly do plateau (with or without a spotter) and arguably it's a bit safer to work towards breaking those plateaus if someone is there to help you in an emergency. However, there are other ways: micro-loading is one I've had some success with (small, regular weight increases as opposed to trying to push up in 10 kg increments etc.).