jasonpfriend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Electronic Scale Question

I wasn't sure where to post this. I have an electronic scale that shows body weight and body fat %. Does anyone know how accurate these are?

Thanks!

hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I personally don't find them that accurate. Others have recommended taking readings once a week at the same time just to track direction. I personally just use the mirror and waist size.
    Consistency = WIN

I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Phil 4:13

David

ricktbaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricktbaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricktbaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricktbaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricktbaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricktbaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricktbaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricktbaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricktbaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricktbaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ricktbaker has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have one as well. They aren't very accurate from what I've read, as much as 5% variance either way. I still need to order some calipers, but I've used mine for just a basic guideline as I've been bulking, making sure I use it right when I wake up. I know the accuracy is off from what my true bodyfat is, but I figure it's close enough to give an idea of how much of the weight I'm gaining is fat. But I'm definitely not relying on it for my true bodyfat %.
    My Workout Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158655383

Location: South Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000) LordGrover is just really nice. (+1000)
    Agreed. They don't have a great rep for either accuracy or consistency.
    If you can take the measurement at the same time of day under very similar circumstances they may be a useful comparison tool, but you have to ensure the same level of hydration, time since last meal, etc. to get anywhere near consistent results.
    http://www.musclefood.com/IG4833
    http://lastpass.com/f?3497706

Usus est magister optimus.

taking March-No-Post pilz weiss1967's Avatar
    weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If this is type that measures BF through electric impedance than readings will depend on your diet as well. If you go low carbs for couple days the scale will read enormous increase in BF%. Like already mentioned, the combination of skin forlds and actual strength is the most reliable indication of progress.

62Wolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 62Wolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 62Wolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 62Wolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 62Wolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 62Wolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 62Wolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 62Wolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 62Wolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 62Wolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 62Wolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    My son and my wife each have one and I personally don't like them at all. Someone mentioned hydration. One of the scales will actually have you GAINING after you take a whizz. Maybe it reads your body comp as denser or some horse**** after losing fluid like that, but I don't know. I kind of figure it reads true bodyweight plus or minus @ 3 lbs and don't pay any attention at all to the % breakdowns. There is a very, very expensive unit (Don't know the name offhand) that the gym where my wife goes to uses. I think it's actually inched people closer to suicide as it is inaccurate as hell showing some people "Gaining" 3-4 pounds of MUSCLE and "losing" 5-6 pounds of fat PER WEEK! I just laugh and say, "Ya , right. Go into a supermarket and pick up 4 pounds of ground beef and REALLY decide if you could've added that on to your frame in a week as well as lose the equivalent of a 6 pound roast in fat." She won't even get on the thing anymore as it really misreads the more muscular people and gives great readings to the fatter folks. Maybe there is a home unit out there that is accurate, but I haven't seen one yet that was. Regular scale and a mirror.......

All about some GAINZ! IIISpartacusIII's Avatar
    IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I like electronic scales for the tenths of a pound read out on the screen. When you're losing weight half a pound can be a victory. A ten of a pound is at least something. I don't think they measure bodyfat accurately though. I would advise you to take pictures instead since you can judge amongst them to see if you look leaner. Choose the same camera, the same spot, with the same lighting. If you change any variable it will throw you off. Also, you might try the caliper bodyfat test but not to determine bodyfat. Instead, if you write down the caliper measurements and then notice that they're decreasing then your skinfolds are decreasing and your bodyfat is decreasing. I wouldn't take the data as scripture as to what your bodyfat is though.

"I was laying in bed one night and I thought ‘I’ll just quit — to hell with it.’ And another little voice inside me said ‘Don’t quit — save that tiny little ember of spark.’ And never give them that spark because as long as you have that spark, you can start the greatest fire again.”

- Charles Bukowski (1920-1994)

michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm always confounded by calipers. They often tell me I'm 7.5~9% and I know there is no way that is true.

Bioelectric impedance often puts me around 13% and goes up about 1.5% when I'm in a caloric deficit.

I think the calipers read low on me and bioelectric reads a little high.

All about some GAINZ! IIISpartacusIII's Avatar
    IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by michail71 View Post
    I'm always confounded by calipers. They often tell me I'm 7.5~9% and I know there is no way that is true.

Bioelectric impedance often puts me around 13% and goes up about 1.5% when I'm in a caloric deficit.

I think the calipers read low on me and bioelectric reads a little high.
    I don't trust either for accuracy but if the numbers are dropping then whatever your actual bodyfat percentage turns out to be, it'll be less with lower numbers with either form of measurement.
    "I was laying in bed one night and I thought ‘I’ll just quit — to hell with it.’ And another little voice inside me said ‘Don’t quit — save that tiny little ember of spark.’ And never give them that spark because as long as you have that spark, you can start the greatest fire again.”

- Charles Bukowski (1920-1994)

PharmaFreak1 is just really nice. (+1000) PharmaFreak1 is just really nice. (+1000) PharmaFreak1 is just really nice. (+1000) PharmaFreak1 is just really nice. (+1000) PharmaFreak1 is just really nice. (+1000) PharmaFreak1 is just really nice. (+1000) PharmaFreak1 is just really nice. (+1000) PharmaFreak1 is just really nice. (+1000) PharmaFreak1 is just really nice. (+1000) PharmaFreak1 is just really nice. (+1000) PharmaFreak1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Honestly,

I have one and it is highly inaccurate, BUT consistent. With that being said, I basically took my bodyfat % on it and recorded it. I then paid the $75.00 for a bodypod test that is highly accurate. Once I had that, I was able to deterimine the difference between the two and then find out exactly how to most effectively use my electronic scale. Now that I know how much it is off by, I can use it more readily. In fact, it's all I use.

FYI: It was off by 6.25% (my scale showing a higher body fat%).
    Paul Teixeira

PharmaFreak Representative
    2013 Canadian CBBF Bantamweight Bodybuilding Champion

www.********.com/pharmafreak
    www.twitter.com/pharmafreak
    www.instagram.com/pharmafreak
    www.pinterest.com/search/?q=Pharmafreak
    www.plus.google.com/116513041929785949607/posts
    www.youtube.com/user/RippedFreakVideos

SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000)
    They're not very accurate.

See here for a great explanation. Then, see the other awesome stuff this guy writes:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=218
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160275721&pagenumber=

jasonpfriend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks guys! I've also heard that the moisture on your feet(sweat, water from shower, etc.) can cause it to be inaccurate.

jd0000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jd0000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jd0000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've lost like 50lbs over the last few years, started at 20 something percent body fat, finished at 20 something percent body fat.
    Clearly the electronic fat %age part of my scale is useless.

Now I use my weight and get my fat% by plugging my waist circumfrence into they army/navy body fat equation.

Also note that many electronic scales will "lie" to you and repeat their last measurement if you way yourself again right away (stops people complaining that there scale is broken). If you wait more than a minute, or hold a three pound weight, and step on again you get a another true measure.

mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you're into DIY projects and have some extra time this is an informative read. I've got this bookmarked since I'd love to try it some day.

Using a pool to measure your own bodyfat: http://www.instructables.com/id/Meas...hing/?ALLSTEPS

jd0000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jd0000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jd0000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Have done "home hydrostatic testing". the link is a good one, but instead of using an scale, use a pop bottle and see how much air you can just sink. That vol of air can be used to calc your underwater weight.
    I just use a guestimate for my lung vols, but that's enough for comparative progress monitoring.
    Intestinal "air" sometimes throws off the measurement though.

michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by jd0000 View Post
    I've lost like 50lbs over the last few years, started at 20 something percent body fat, finished at 20 something percent body fat.
    Clearly the electronic fat %age part of my scale is useless.

Now I use my weight and get my fat% by plugging my waist circumfrence into they army/navy body fat equation.

Also note that many electronic scales will "lie" to you and repeat their last measurement if you way yourself again right away (stops people complaining that there scale is broken). If you wait more than a minute, or hold a three pound weight, and step on again you get a another true measure.
    I had a scale that did that too. You could pick up a 2.5 lbs plate and still get the same reading to a tenth of a pound.