Page 86 of 139 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 136 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 4144
    civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JewishSuperHero View Post
    But I'm just wondering if anyone here has ever missed a deadline before?
    Absolutely.

I am that busy and overworked (in other words, the company is understaffed) that projects regularly fall behind on delivery - not schedule though. E.g. I have projects that were due to be delivered several months ago and are only being completed now, others that haven't even been started yet... in fact I can't remember the last time I worked on a project that did go out to the client on time. While at first that may look a poor refection on me, if a project is planned to take X weeks or months to do (the schedule), then it still takes that period of time regardless of when the project is actuality started. E.g. if work is not even started on a project until after the delivery date to the client has passed, then I suddenly can't do the work in half the time to speed it up, it will still take the same amount of time as it would have had we been able to deliver the project on time.

Schedule doesn't normally blow out out once work is started although delivery is usually well off. The reality is that if a client asks for something and we say we can't deliver it for 6 months then they'll go elsewhere. If we promise delivery in 6 weeks time then once we have them tied to use we can delay them/string them along them until we eventually start the project...

I've also got projects which are under construction already and the design isn't even complete (the contractor is choosing to press ahead and work off of the 'preliminary only - not for construction' concept design drawings)...

civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) civileng15 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How do you deal with a new hire who works under you (and is junior to you) although won't listen? They rush ahead, ignore or argue with my advice and then pass the project off to my manager without me reviewing it (as I am supposed too do) where it reflects bad on me when it isn't done correctly. I don't want to make them look bad to my manager although their attitude is poor and it can't continue on like this. To make it more complicated though they will likely be my replacement when I leave so I don't want to leave the company in the lurch.

Summary: New hire working beneath me who I am to train. Their attitude sucks although their technical skills are okay. How to deal with someone like that?

I am more than happy to share knowledge and train people (and have done so successfully with others) although when someone has a poor attitude and argues with everything I say then I am less inclined to help them. They were brought on board to help me and instead they are becoming a serious hindrance due to their attitude. At this point I personally would rather they just leave (they have already hinted they are interviewing at other firms after starting work here), however when I look at it from the company's perspective it is important that they are retained and trained up as much as possible.
    Last edited by civileng15; 07-04-2015 at 07:54 PM.

DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Land_Down_Under View Post
    oh yeah sweet. a lot of things would be similar i reckon. what stream dod i focus on later in your apprenticeship? like toolmaking, cnc, mecatronics, maintenance etc?

im in the maintenance crew at work so i will study that way i think but we have a toolroom so i will do a lot more milling and lathe work and precision machining swell but not through trade school as such
    I went through the manufacturing engineer route. I opted for the technical route due to business needs. Unfortunately most of the routes you've mentioned weren't available to me and it was either technical (engine tester or manufacturing engineer) or practical (fitting or inspecting) where the latter I spent my beginning of my apprenticeship in were having a round of redundancy.

All the routes you mentioned sound like good options, but may I ask what kind of engineering you're going into and what product do your employers produce?

toolmaking; very good and varied work that is usually always in demand. I'd imagine you'd pick up some very capable skills and use various machines which will always be transferrable.

cnc; this would probably be my choice (personally like this work) as you'll learn some coding which should be transferrable especially since most companies are aiming to reduce manual turning/milling/grinding operations and have a set standard which can be achieved with cnc led machines. You'll get to know machines inside out and will always have a job. This kind of route is what I'm aiming to go down eventually, I would like to code both CNC machines and/or CMM.

mecatronics; not familiar with this at all.

maintenance; I know a good friend who went into maintenance and loved how varied it was and it's a job which will always have a need. I personally learn a lot through actually performing a technique as opposed to studying it. But qualifications would always be a bonus and if you plan on moving jobs at any point this could be a negative if that option isn't available to you.

DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DevaPain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know in our line of work experience is key and I have a good amount considering my age, 5 years at 23...

But I've also been doing courses to obtain my degree part-time whilst in the industry.

I've just completed a company funded foundation degree in mechanical engineering (first 2 years of a degree) and have two options:

1) BEng Mechanical Engineering

2) BSc Manufacturing Engineering

Option no.1 is the better degree, no doubt, but this will take me another 4 years to complete and cost me £19k. There will be a lot more modules and work required - which I am prepared to do. But it is accredited and will be very good for my future.

Option no.2 isn't as good but more applicable to my current career (M.E. within a manufacturing cell). This will only take 2 year to complete based on previous creditted modules and shouldn't cost me a penny. The only downside is this is NOT accreddited and I am unsure whether it will hold as much weight as option 1 if I ever needed to apply for a new job.

Please note I intend to do a masters (I have a meeting with a professor at the university to discuss my possible routes at the start of my degree). My possible career paths would either like to be in M.E., NDT or Robotics (big difference I know lol)

Registered User JewishSuperHero's Avatar
    JewishSuperHero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JewishSuperHero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JewishSuperHero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JewishSuperHero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JewishSuperHero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JewishSuperHero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JewishSuperHero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JewishSuperHero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JewishSuperHero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JewishSuperHero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JewishSuperHero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Fukk! This is so frustrating. I literally can't finish this project until these designers draw everything up for me. But there's nobody available yet to do it. I'd do it myself but I don't know autocad. And I don't even have autocad on my computer. And the company I'm contracting with keeps asking when this project will be done. (It's a week late this Wednesday.)

I don't want to throw anyone under the bus or blame others. So I keep taking the blame for this project not being done.

cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by civileng15 View Post
    How do you deal with a new hire who works under you (and is junior to you) although won't listen? They rush ahead, ignore or argue with my advice and then pass the project off to my manager without me reviewing it (as I am supposed too do) where it reflects bad on me when it isn't done correctly. I don't want to make them look bad to my manager although their attitude is poor and it can't continue on like this. To make it more complicated though they will likely be my replacement when I leave so I don't want to leave the company in the lurch.

Summary: New hire working beneath me who I am to train. Their attitude sucks although their technical skills are okay. How to deal with someone like that?

I am more than happy to share knowledge and train people (and have done so successfully with others) although when someone has a poor attitude and argues with everything I say then I am less inclined to help them. They were brought on board to help me and instead they are becoming a serious hindrance due to their attitude. At this point I personally would rather they just leave (they have already hinted they are interviewing at other firms after starting work here), however when I look at it from the company's perspective it is important that they are retained and trained up as much as possible.
    Meet with the pain-in-the-ass and your boss and explain what you just described. Lay out the hierarchy and flow of work. IMO shouldn't be directly interacting with your boss as that makes more work for him which is not the goal. He should get all his info through you. Explain it -- ask if he understands -- and move on. This will nip it in the butt and make sure your boss is also aware and will direct him to speak to you instead of going around you.
    D/SQ/B = 405/335/270 = 1010#
    I finally made it.

cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000) cajone5 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DevaPain View Post
    I know in our line of work experience is key and I have a good amount considering my age, 5 years at 23...

But I've also been doing courses to obtain my degree part-time whilst in the industry.

I've just completed a company funded foundation degree in mechanical engineering (first 2 years of a degree) and have two options:

Option no.1 is the better degree, no doubt, but this will take me another 4 years to complete and cost me £19k. There will be a lot more modules and work required - which I am prepared to do. But it is accredited and will be very good for my future.

Option no.2 isn't as good but more applicable to my current career (M.E. within a manufacturing cell). This will only take 2 year to complete based on previous creditted modules and shouldn't cost me a penny. The only downside is this is NOT accreddited and I am unsure whether it will hold as much weight as option 1 if I ever needed to apply for a new job.

Please note I intend to do a masters (I have a meeting with a professor at the university to discuss my possible routes at the start of my degree). My possible career paths would either like to be in M.E., NDT or Robotics (big difference I know lol)
    Do NOT take the unaccredited one. Many jobs require a degree from an accredited program and you'll shoot yourself in the foot. Plus the 20k isn't that bad for a ME degree. You'll make far more over your lifetime with that and probably enjoy the work more. My $0.02
    D/SQ/B = 405/335/270 = 1010#
    I finally made it.

Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I would definitely say the mechanical engineering- more interesting, more versatile, better work, probably more pay, etc. And the fact that ManE is not accredited makes it that much easier of a decision for me. I think it would be a pretty big mistake not to take the ME.
    Gal Gadot Crew
    Madelaine Petsch Crew
    Victoria Justice Crew

Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Probably a dumb question... I have a pretty good internship right now, but next summer I'd like something different just so I can explore. I'm learning a lot of things, but how can I make the most of of my internship now and also explain what I learned to a future employer so it looks like I have some kind of experience? Also not sure what to put on my resume

I'm a social person, but I have pretty bad interview skills

SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Can any experienced brahs talk to me about chemical engineering...haven't joined a college yet but gotta decide the branch fast...I was thinking either chemical or biotechnology
    *Part of Ultra 2014 thread crew*
    *No fap August '14 crew*

Originally Posted by JewishSuperHero View Post
    Fukk! This is so frustrating. I literally can't finish this project until these designers draw everything up for me. But there's nobody available yet to do it. I'd do it myself but I don't know autocad. And I don't even have autocad on my computer. And the company I'm contracting with keeps asking when this project will be done. (It's a week late this Wednesday.)

I don't want to throw anyone under the bus or blame others. So I keep taking the blame for this project not being done.
    Is this a job that you can just manually draft yourself? I know it looks more professional to have it generated on AutoCAD, but if push comes to shove?

Noone likes to screw anyone else over (noone normal anyway), but if it's not your fault why this is running late just explain that you're waiting on another department and don't name drop anyone. Failing that just explain how you were unaware there was a part D to this assignment and give a rough timescale of how long you predict it should take. Apologise along with that and the customer should be fairly satisfied as they could be given the circumstances and they'll quit chasing you up. Only thing you can do to be honest mate, just don't stress too much, I'm late quite often because of my workload and most are understanding.

Also thanks to the two guys above, I appreciate both of your opinions and realise how important accreditation is. I was leaning towards the Mech Eng anyway and you've allowed me to see it from an outside perspective... I have just been swayed by the price realistically as the Man Eng = free... I did plan on topping this up to a masters pending my employers consent (which would be out of my own pocket) and no doubt the MSc/MEng are both accredited.

DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Is this a job that you can just manually draft yourself? I know it looks more professional to have it generated on AutoCAD, but if push comes to shove?

Noone likes to screw anyone else over (noone normal anyway), but if it's not your fault why this is running late just explain that you're waiting on another department and don't name drop anyone. Failing that just explain how you were unaware there was a part D to this assignment and give a rough timescale of how long you predict it should take. Apologise along with that and the customer should be fairly satisfied as they could be given the circumstances and they'll quit chasing you up. Only thing you can do to be honest mate, just don't stress too much, I'm late quite often because of my workload and most are understanding.

Also thanks to the two guys above, I appreciate both of your opinions and realise how important accreditation is. I was leaning towards the Mech Eng anyway and you've allowed me to see it from an outside perspective... I have just been swayed by the price realistically as the Man Eng = free... I did plan on topping this up to a masters pending my employers consent (which would be out of my own pocket) and no doubt the MSc/MEng are both accredited.

I'm only 22 so my advice is limited but if you want to stay stuck in a relatively low paid/very narrow type technician job then do the BSc.

If you actually want to go up and get a higher level job whether technical, managerial or even consulting type stuff then do the BEng no doubt.
    BEng at my uni is only part accredited btw so check (I think because you need Masters level education for chartership)

stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    can anyone recomend a good (non-text) book in electrical engineering?
    O|||||||O

white supremacist

HoLeeFuk is just really nice. (+1000) HoLeeFuk is just really nice. (+1000) HoLeeFuk is just really nice. (+1000) HoLeeFuk is just really nice. (+1000) HoLeeFuk is just really nice. (+1000) HoLeeFuk is just really nice. (+1000) HoLeeFuk is just really nice. (+1000) HoLeeFuk is just really nice. (+1000) HoLeeFuk is just really nice. (+1000) HoLeeFuk is just really nice. (+1000) HoLeeFuk is just really nice. (+1000)
    Marine Engineer here. Have a BSc in an unrelated topic and an FD in Marine Engineering.

Things going well at the moment, currently onboard.
    ***Awaiting moon landing authorisation***

Candice Swanepoel>

Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by stfudonny View Post
    can anyone recomend a good (non-text) book in electrical engineering?
    I have heard good things about this book. I skimmed it briefly a couple of years ago and it looks good, but I can't give it a genuine recommendation aside from word-of-mouth.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0...ilpage_o09_s00

It's cheap, so might be worth it to try and see for yourself.
    Gal Gadot Crew
    Madelaine Petsch Crew
    Victoria Justice Crew

Democrats are terrorists cncman's Avatar
    cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Plyoz View Post
    Probably a dumb question... I have a pretty good internship right now, but next summer I'd like something different just so I can explore. I'm learning a lot of things, but how can I make the most of of my internship now and also explain what I learned to a future employer so it looks like I have some kind of experience? Also not sure what to put on my resume

I'm a social person, but I have pretty bad interview skills
    Work on the interview skills. It might be what lands you a job over someone better qualified. Put buzzwords on your resume. Learn the lingo of your internship and convince a stranger you know everything about what you did.

Originally Posted by SunnyChrono6 View Post
    Can any experienced brahs talk to me about chemical engineering...haven't joined a college yet but gotta decide the branch fast...I was thinking either chemical or biotechnology
    I tried it and hated it. Its one small part of ME/Physics spread out over 4 years....yawn. Just my opinion though. I tried several things before settling though. Changed majors maybe 4 times. Hated CS but now I realize I could have a much better job had I stuck with it.
    "If you don't vote for me you ain't black!" - Plantation Joe Biden

Wreck em
    Hook em
    Glory to Aubernia!

stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stfudonny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    so im a first year mech engineering student....but after taking phys 2....i feel like im way more interested in electricity and magnetism. can any electrical engineers shed some light on that degree? good decision to switch? also...checking a sample degree plan for electrical, compared to mech...it seems somewhat easier, is this true? how do they compare as far as difficulty? lot a questions lol, thanks for any reply's.
    Last edited by stfudonny; 07-09-2015 at 09:01 AM.
    O|||||||O

white supremacist

Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000) Plyoz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by cncman View Post
    Work on the interview skills. It might be what lands you a job over someone better qualified. Put buzzwords on your resume. Learn the lingo of your internship and convince a stranger you know everything about what you did.
    It's interesting because I was browsing and saw a job for Energy Engineer @ Lockheed Martin (Grand Prairie) and a lot of what they were looking for was stuff I've learned through my internship like using Trane's and Siemens controls. I said hey I can do some of that stuff, so maybe I would be able to convince them I know what I'm doing even though I have no idea.

Originally Posted by stfudonny View Post
    so im a first year mech engineering student....but after taking phys 2....i feel like im way more interested in electricity and magnetism. can any electrical engineers shed some light on that degree? good decision to switch? also...checking a sample degree plan for electrical, compared to mech...it seems somewhat easier. no statics, dynamics, thermo...etc....is this true? how do they compare as far as difficulty? lot a questions lol, thanks for any reply's.
    I'm an EE, but I've taken 8 ME courses + self study as well, so I feel I can give you pretty good feedback. As far as jobs go, just go with whichever will interest you more as you won't have trouble finding a job for either.

As far as coursework, I would say EE is more difficult. Statics was the easiest engineering course I took, period. It was a weed-out course too, so it was graded extra hard and with one of the harder teachers (1 of 4 teachers who taught it and only one was considered harder). Thermo is challenging due to concepts, not so much mathematically- I was the only EE in a class of ~100 and I got the highest grade in the class. Finished the final in 48 minutes and got a 98. I had the same teacher for both thermo and fluid mechanics who MEs considered the hardest, but I personally liked him (he just didn't spoon-feed you and actually expected you to understand what you are doing). I basically did the same in fluids, 98 on final (not sure about best grade in class or not, but I got a flat A). Personally, I find the whole statics/mechanics of solids/machine design side of ME considerably easier than the thermo/fluids/heat transfer side by a wide margin. The thing for me is that with ME classes you can pretty easily visualize the forces acting on the system. With EE, you can't do that as easily. In EE controls you also look at ME systems (which, at least at my school, ME controls did not look at EE systems) and we learned how to convert an ME system into an EE system (and vice versa), which was cool. One area of ME I had no exposure to is vibrations, which I imagine is one of the more challenging courses on the ME side as well. It's easier to explain ME stuff to an EE than the other way around because EE is quite a bit more abstract.

Electromagnetics, communication systems, linear systems analysis (called signals and systems at most schools, which is basically a pure math course), microprocessors, electronics II, semiconductor physics and network analysis (combo of graph theory + two-port theory- interesting as Hell, but challenging) are definitely meatier. You also have to learn programming as an EE (from MATLAB [which MEs do as well] to C++ to embedded, aka microcontrollers- most likely C). Though, I do know MEs were able to take a microcontrollers course as elective- it just wasn't as in depth, naturally, and focused more on using them (which is what EEs have lab for). Also, as far as intro classes go, you're talking about circuits I/II /logic design vs statics/dynamics/thermo, where at least at my school, EEs had to get a B or better in circuits I/II or it didn't count. Statics is by-far the easiest of those intro classes. The others are pretty even, but again, I would say dynamics/thermo are a bit easier because you can visualize those systems, which makes a big difference when you are first starting your engineering coursework, IMO. In other words, EE is a lot more abstract. Statics can get a bit tricky at first glance for some problems because they get so overdone in order to make them difficult. Once you understand how to methodically tackle the problems, it is very easy. Still, I don't understand why anybody would be afraid of statics.

Of course I am not saying ME is a cakewalk, or that much easier, but it is easier IMO/IME and you asked for a breakdown. At the end of the day, you're going to have to work hard regardless of which one you choose. I also think it gets quite a bit more even if you choose to use your electives on fluid mechanics/thermo/heat transfer classes in ME. Fluid mechanics is very similar to electromagnetics (it's really interesting to see the duality between classes when you take both, especially when you think about how physically they are describing completely different phenomena) and can get abstract as well. Heat transfer is basically circuits (another one that is cool to see the duality. I knew what the equation for heat transfer from a sphere was going to be before he even derived it from the analog to circuits).

As far as practical experience goes, I did do a heat transfer model for one of my projects at work. It was cool, fun and interesting (but again, I really enjoy that side of ME). It was challenging as well. I am of course an EE, so it was a secondary role for me, but having knowledge of both is definitely handy. Another thing is, practically, how challenging/rewarding your job will be has much more to do with your job function than your discipline. Meaning, a research and development mechanical engineer is going to have a much more challenging job than an EE who does support/sustaining work. I am a research and development EE- meaning I literally do everything- I synthesize a circuit (meaning I design it, analog/digital/both and simulation of the circuit(s)), I do all of the programming for my board's microcontroller(s), I layout my board(s) [laying out a Printed Circuit Board that contains my circuit which comes along with its own set of design considerations), I order the boards/parts, I test/trouble shoot my design, etc. So that's what I mean when I say job function and I think from a practical standpoint, that is much more indicative of how difficult/satisfying/fun the job is rather than EE vs ME. So I would not pick my major based off what I thought would be slightly easier in school or slightly harder, but what you actually find you have more interest/passion for.

You can't go wrong with either. Hopefully that helps you.
    Gal Gadot Crew
    Madelaine Petsch Crew
    Victoria Justice Crew

jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SunnyChrono6 View Post
    Anything in particular you're curious about? I have a B.S. in ChE, only did 3 internships in chemicals/downstream though so I don't have any full-time career advice to give regarding ChE. I've only worked in upstream and tech since graduating.

^^ thanks....solid reply
    O|||||||O

white supremacist

Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm about to head into my senior year of undergrad Chem E once summer ends and was thinking of moving to Houston post grad. Any Chem Es here with some experience working in Houston?

Mechanical Engineer Brah ConorO's Avatar
    ConorO is just really nice. (+1000) ConorO is just really nice. (+1000) ConorO is just really nice. (+1000) ConorO is just really nice. (+1000) ConorO is just really nice. (+1000) ConorO is just really nice. (+1000) ConorO is just really nice. (+1000) ConorO is just really nice. (+1000) ConorO is just really nice. (+1000) ConorO is just really nice. (+1000) ConorO is just really nice. (+1000)
    hey is anybody doing a mechanical engineering degree but doesn't know wtf they want to do?? i got top grades for 1st year and i've started doing a bit of work for 2nd year, but after this year i'm doing a placement so i have to basically find work for a year from Sept 2016 - only problem is I don't know what kind of job to apply for letalone where!

anyway - just wondering if anybodies been in a similar position and if they have any advice on how to figure this chit out

jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Brocq17 View Post
    I'm about to head into my senior year of undergrad Chem E once summer ends and was thinking of moving to Houston post grad. Any Chem Es here with some experience working in Houston?
    Lived in Houston for 3 years, if you can find a job that's not too far away from the core of the city then living inside the loop (610) is the way to go.
    What kind of work are you looking at doing?

Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brocq17 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jack3d_brah9 View Post
    Lived in Houston for 3 years, if you can find a job that's not too far away from the core of the city then living inside the loop (610) is the way to go.
    What kind of work are you looking at doing?
    Was looking to go into energy. Specifically oil/petro or maybe even solar for long term.

Natty Bodybuilding Crew Zoroastres's Avatar
    Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000) Zoroastres is just really nice. (+1000)
    Is anyone in here taking/have a degree in Computer engineering... Am really thinking hard about going into this degree... What is it like/how to prepare/what jobs are out there?

Also, what is the difference between a CE and a CSE degree? I see CSE degree more frequently then a regular CE degree. Tried google but it didn't help.
    http://www.weightrainer.net/articles.html
    http://weightrainer.blogspot.com/

SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SunnyChrono6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by jack3d_brah9 View Post
    Anything in particular you're curious about? I have a B.S. in ChE, only did 3 internships in chemicals/downstream though so I don't have any full-time career advice to give regarding ChE. I've only worked in upstream and tech since graduating.
    For now, just whether it's a viable choice as compared to Electrical engineering and the other stuff most people choose. I mean, I don't know any other chemical engineer aspirants where I'm from, and I was planning on pursuing my education till a PhD so just the general stuff; is it interesting, does it have good scope, etc. etc. My apologies for my noobishness :/
    *Part of Ultra 2014 thread crew*
    *No fap August '14 crew*

I plead the 6th. whitecollarcrim's Avatar
    whitecollarcrim is a name known to all. (+5000) whitecollarcrim is a name known to all. (+5000) whitecollarcrim is a name known to all. (+5000) whitecollarcrim is a name known to all. (+5000) whitecollarcrim is a name known to all. (+5000) whitecollarcrim is a name known to all. (+5000) whitecollarcrim is a name known to all. (+5000) whitecollarcrim is a name known to all. (+5000) whitecollarcrim is a name known to all. (+5000) whitecollarcrim is a name known to all. (+5000) whitecollarcrim is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Guys whats the consensus on a Masters in Engineering Technology;

Currently a PM / Cost Estimator at a construction company (roadwork, excavation, utilities) and would like to enhance my overall profile. Business background, but willing to do some leveling coursework. Feel the MS in ET would allow me get into a bit more nitty gritty engineering knowledge, mixed with my business background to really help expand this company (empire mode).

Not necessarily to be a civil/mechanical engineer, but more along the lines of cost engineer/project engineer type roles (if I don't just stay here and grow it to huge proportions) or be the technical business side of a engineering/construction company (startup).

UNT has a decent program, if not I'll probably just do construction management MS from UH or UTA.
    "The Spartans do not ask how many are the enemy, but where are they."

Start date to Aestheticism: 10/11/2015

ClarkKentBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ClarkKentBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ClarkKentBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ClarkKentBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ClarkKentBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ClarkKentBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ClarkKentBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ClarkKentBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ClarkKentBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ClarkKentBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ClarkKentBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Question on work ethic of internships.

I feel like in my current internship I'm finishing my work quickly and I'm constantly asking for more.

Is it better to just slow down or just keep completing everything as quickly as possible and possibly seem annoying by constantly asking for more? The work that I put out is of high quality so its not like I'm sacrificing anything by completing it quickly. I spent about one or two hours a day just bull****ting on the internet because I sometimes dont want to ask for more work right away.
    *Scared of Automatic Toilets Crew*

Starting Weight: 175lb 06/13

ayyyyyy lmao

Originally Posted by ClarkKentBrah View Post
    Question on work ethic of internships.

I feel like in my current internship I'm finishing my work quickly and I'm constantly asking for more.

Is it better to just slow down or just keep completing everything as quickly as possible and possibly seem annoying by constantly asking for more? The work that I put out is of high quality so its not like I'm sacrificing anything by completing it quickly. I spent about one or two hours a day just bull****ting on the internet because I sometimes dont want to ask for more work right away.
    IMO, once you have finished what was asked of you, I'd just ask, "Is there anything else for me to work on or that you'd like me to do?" If they say yes, then ok, if they say not at the moment, then ok. As long as you are doing quality work and you are showing initiative, I can't imagine that looking bad on you. If you are completing the tasks you are supposed to be, then I would not be worried or feel bad about some down time just surfing the web. IME, my bosses haven't really given a **** what I spend my time doing as long as I complete what I say I am going to complete and it is quality work. Some are super corporate America though and slave drivers, but thankfully I have not encountered those types yet, lol.
    Gal Gadot Crew
    Madelaine Petsch Crew
    Victoria Justice Crew

Page 86 of 139 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 136 ... LastLast