Page 132 of 139 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 130 131 132 133 134 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,960 of 4144
    Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by cncman View Post
    After these years I've finally decided to bite the bullet and start my own company. Found a building and a machine, I'll slowly get it rolling I just have to make sure the machine is busy before it even gets there. Heading to UT - Austin for the MBA this spring, and I've taken the role of ISO/AS9100 rep at my current company to learn it all for my business.

I'm nervous about how much work I'm gonna find. I wouldn't do it if I hadn't designed, made, and sold a lot of parts to a lot of people.
    That's awesome, congrats! I've sorta started a side project that I have been working on at home. It's a learning experience project that I thought would be fun, but then after some market research, it looks like maybe something I could sell and build at least a side hustle with, even if not a full-blown company.

I loathe working for somebody else, tbh, simply for the fact that I will never get what I perceive to be appropriate compensation. I don't like answering to somebody else, particularly people I consider to be morons. I usually always like my direct manager who is an engineer, but those above that, I find frustratingly dumb/arrogant usually, lol.

Pretty exciting times to come, though. Good luck- I hope it all goes well. I'm sure there will be plenty of stressful times, but plenty of exciting ones too.

Are you producing a product you've designed/came up with? Or what? You don't have to detail the specifics of course; just curious in general your process and what led you to biting the bullet? Whether it was you coming up with a product(s) or whether you could see an area where you can provide a service to others? Seems sorta like the latter from your response below.

Originally Posted by mslman71 View Post
    Without getting into the bit about doing what you love, want to do, etc. I will say that the PhD opens some doors you may not have considered. For me it has provided flexibility in terms of picking up a university appointment and contacts, has allowed me to consult as a subject matter expert, and best of all as an expert witness in patent litigation. The PhD doesn't preclude doing anything else but it sure does help with opportunities outside of industry that would be a lot harder (or impossible) to get without it. Let me tell you, patent litigation consulting money is damn good, obscenely good sometimes, at least in electrical engineering.
    Good points. I really want to get a master's. Aspects of a PhD appeal to me, but Idk if I'd enjoy it overall. I also hate all the red tape the further up you get. Like oh, to apply to our master's program we require 3 letters of rec, bull**** letter of intent, taking basically the ACT again in the GRE, etc. Like dude, just look at my GPA and resume, lol. I also always saw the MS/PhD thing as personal thing for me rather than a career thing, outside of the patent law thing which you mentioned. I'm not sure the cost justifies it for me, but I could definitely see what you're saying with unexpected opportunities and it makes sense.
    Gal Gadot Crew
    Madelaine Petsch Crew
    Victoria Justice Crew

Democrats are terrorists cncman's Avatar
    cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Ownster8932 View Post
    That's awesome, congrats! I've sorta started a side project that I have been working on at home. It's a learning experience project that I thought would be fun, but then after some market research, it looks like maybe something I could sell and build at least a side hustle with, even if not a full-blown company.

I loathe working for somebody else, tbh, simply for the fact that I will never get what I perceive to be appropriate compensation. I don't like answering to somebody else, particularly people I consider to be morons. I usually always like my direct manager who is an engineer, but those above that, I find frustratingly dumb/arrogant usually, lol.

Pretty exciting times to come, though. Good luck- I hope it all goes well. I'm sure there will be plenty of stressful times, but plenty of exciting ones too.

Are you producing a product you've designed/came up with? Or what? You don't have to detail the specifics of course; just curious in general your process and what led you to biting the bullet? Whether it was you coming up with a product(s) or whether you could see an area where you can provide a service to others? Seems sorta like the latter from your response below.

Good points. I really want to get a master's. Aspects of a PhD appeal to me, but Idk if I'd enjoy it overall. I also hate all the red tape the further up you get. Like oh, to apply to our master's program we require 3 letters of rec, bull**** letter of intent, taking basically the ACT again in the GRE, etc. Like dude, just look at my GPA and resume, lol. I also always saw the MS/PhD thing as personal thing for me rather than a career thing, outside of the patent law thing which you mentioned. I'm not sure the cost justifies it for me, but I could definitely see what you're saying with unexpected opportunities and it makes sense.
    I have a leg up in a very nichy area in upstream semiconductor production. Basically reproducing OEM parts for lower cost. Currently getting to know big players in the game and producing for them where I am now (Samsung, Avago, Freescale,...). I'll try to stay diverse as I've sold parts to GE and BHI, LHM,...I'm going to sublease a space in a guy's building and move a 5-Axis machine in. It was the machine, or a mortgage on a house so I chose.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The GRE is not much work or shouldn't be. I took mine cold without the first clue what was even on it. I believe I was even still a little buzzed from activities of the previous night. I'm not that innately sharp or anything. I did well enough but not great. You don't have to go to MIT. There are lots of grad schools that don't require being the "best of the best of the best, sir."

I have two MS degrees and a PhD (I didn't want to grow up) and didn't pay a dime for any of them. Find a university with an engineering department that does good research (ie, is well funded) and pick up a RA or TA position. The department should cover the cost of your tuition and even pay a stipend. Of course you'll be making just enough to get by, which sucks compared to making a real salary for the same few years you'd be in school.

I have a leg up in a very nichy area in upstream semiconductor production. Basically reproducing OEM parts for lower cost. Currently getting to know big players in the game and producing for them where I am now (Samsung, Avago, Freescale,...). I'll try to stay diverse as I've sold parts to GE and BHI, LHM,...I'm going to sublease a space in a guy's building and move a 5-Axis machine in. It was the machine, or a mortgage on a house so I chose.
    I hope this is just a die (re-)packaging outfit or something similar and not basement counterfeiting
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by mslman71 View Post

I hope this is just a die (re-)packaging outfit or something similar and not basement counterfeiting
    To be legal, I need agreements with Applied Materials and I have to call it "Reverse Engineering."

McLarenGTR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) McLarenGTR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) McLarenGTR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) McLarenGTR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) McLarenGTR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) McLarenGTR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) McLarenGTR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) McLarenGTR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) McLarenGTR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) McLarenGTR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) McLarenGTR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by askem View Post
    I went back to school because I was tired of working in warehouses. I didn't go to school right after high school and chose EE because I always thought math and science came easy to me. I know I can make decent money with the degree but I also know that I can make six figures doing tech sales probably sooner. I'm honestly trying to pay off student loans ASAP, srs, like less than two years.

I agree with you in that it would be easier for me to go back to sales after EE experience than the other way around. I think that would be the better choice overall. Thanks for your input brother.
    are you talking about enterprise software sales?

askem is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) askem is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) askem is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) askem is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) askem is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) askem is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) askem is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) askem is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) askem is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) askem is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) askem is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by McLarenGTR View Post
    are you talking about enterprise software sales?
    No, why?

I'm talking automation products like sensors and laser machinery.
    #******* Crew#
    -******* mod

Registered User the_individualist's Avatar
    the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Brocq17 View Post
    Graduated with a 2.7 GPA as a ChemE last May.

Currently living in Florida as a Process Engineer for a Fortune 500 company making 70k + stock options + benefits + bonuses/incentives.

Can't go wrong with ChemE. Make sure you do extracurriculars and network.
    Speak for yourself. I graduated in May 2013 with a 3.13 GPA in ChemE. I never got an engineering job, and eventually had to settle for part-time ranch work for $10 an hour, making a whopping 4K per year with no benefits.

It is more than possible to fall through the cracks with a chemical engineering degree.

Mingled with TMAC and ARMA last night at top golf, things went well and people are interested. Also I'm expected to take the Black Belt exam in september but don't know if I'm ready.

You guys still in school, keep on keepin' on. I've gotten some applications recently and noticed a downward trend in what ~2 years or less engineers are asking for. Older guys are asking for more than ever. Something will give and you all will be alright. This may just be my opinion, but do not apply for tech positions unless you're still in school.

M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey guys, I have to make a "Why you should hire me video" for grad school that will be used for employment purposes in the next few days.
    Since I literally don't know who the video is going out to, I can't sit there and talk technical skills.

My plan was to talk about character traits that make me an asset to any company. I wanted to go from my work ethic and how I never settle for average by showing all the different things I was balancing my senior year of undergrad (senior design, student org project, president of student org, research) to ending with showcasing two clear cut deliverables: my engineering student orgs final report when I was VP vs when I was President: the amount of projects doubled, amount of professional/networking events doubled (with higher turnout), mass-attendance of a national conference for first time in school history, etc. so I am trying to make the statement that where I go, good things happen.
    My problem is I want to say all this without the video being 5 minutes of "I did this and I did this and wow I'm really ****ing great." Obviously that last bit I will definitely thank the executive board I had with me to make all the improvements to the org that we did, but for the rest of it I don't want to come off as self-centered.

If it helps my undergrad was in bioengineering and my graduate degree is in biomedical engineering (they're for all practical purposes the same). My goal is to work in the medical field for awhile and then go more in the business direction and then try and get myself into MBB for consulting.

Any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: for the first bit I guess my options are between talking about character traits or my experience (not the greatest but I could spin it well). I'd like to keep the ending because it will be very obvious things changed in very good and easily quantifiable ways between when I was VP of a student org vs President.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Misc translation: Who mods the mods?
    MISC Plug.DJ crew (◣_◢) http://plug.dj/misc-edm/
    RIP frvrmuscle.
    Aziz Shavershian inspired me. Zyzz made me laugh. There's a difference,RIP
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Reps for life: bfmv69

iedereen wil een stukje eatsleephate's Avatar
    eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eatsleephate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I live in a landlocked state, I'm old and so-so at math. The idea of being an engineer appeals to me, but I'd also like to work with ships/boats/the sea. Is there any discipline of engineering that would allow me to mix the two? I know that marine engineers are a thing, but again, I live in a landlocked state and the closest school with a Marine Engineering/Naval Architecture curriculum is roughly 2.5hr away.
    MMMC

"If you think, you're late. If you're late, you muscle. If you muscle, you get tired. If you're tired, you die." Saulo Ribeiro

axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I remember your posts.

I haven't been in your position, but this is good general advice, IMO. Don't get fooled into thinking any corporate company in America gives a **** about you beyond the benefit you provide to the bottom line (exceptions would be friends/family who hire you, obviously. Maybe some small companies). They didn't hire you out of the goodness of their heart; they hired you because they saw a benefit you could provide. Similarly, you're not working for free- you're working for them because they can provide a benefit to you. Don't feel like you owe them anything because you don't. They also don't owe you anything. I'm not saying don't be thankful- all I'm saying is you can't hold up your career and what you want to do because somebody hired you
    Just updating here now that I've worked for this company for about 5 months..lmao @ the logic I had a few months ago. I have come to find that yes this company doesn't give a **** about me. The worst work experience I've ever had, being treated like complete ****.

Will be looking to get a new job ASAP

TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by the_individualist View Post
    Speak for yourself. I graduated in May 2013 with a 3.13 GPA in ChemE. I never got an engineering job, and eventually had to settle for part-time ranch work for $10 an hour, making a whopping 4K per year with no benefits.

It is more than possible to fall through the cracks with a chemical engineering degree.
    Please tell me you're not serious.

Where the **** did you get your degree from? DeVry?

axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) axiom15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TMaC828 View Post

I graduated in 2015 (mechanical though) and literally never had a single interview or response for the next two years. (3.3 GPA, A&M). Some of us just have **** luck and get ****ed over in life.

the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) the_individualist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I am 100% serious. And nope, not DeVry. I graduated from an ABET-accredited state university.

Originally Posted by axiom15 View Post
    Just updating here now that I've worked for this company for about 5 months..lmao @ the logic I had a few months ago. I have come to find that yes this company doesn't give a **** about me. The worst work experience I've ever had, being treated like complete ****.

Will be looking to get a new job ASAP
    Mind blown... applied for job, literally next day I get a response to fill out full application and set up a time for a phone interview.

I don't even know what to feel or think, took over 2 years to get to this point. I hope I get this position.

KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by eatsleephate View Post
    I live in a landlocked state, I'm old and so-so at math. The idea of being an engineer appeals to me, but I'd also like to work with ships/boats/the sea. Is there any discipline of engineering that would allow me to mix the two? I know that marine engineers are a thing, but again, I live in a landlocked state and the closest school with a Marine Engineering/Naval Architecture curriculum is roughly 2.5hr away.
    I graduated in 2015 (mechanical though) and literally never had a single interview or response for the next two years. (3.3 GPA, A&M). Some of us just have **** luck and get ****ed over in life.
    Did you do any extracurriculars? I have no idea how you couldnt get an interview, unless you were completely lazy or never talked to people.

Mind blown... applied for job, literally next day I get a response to fill out full application and set up a time for a phone interview.

I don't even know what to feel or think, took over 2 years to get to this point. I hope I get this position.
    das it mane. pls get that job
    *Reps everyone who negs crew*
    *Track Crew*

Why the neg, KingofLifts? What do you mean, "wrong"? What is so wrong about sharing my situation? What is so wrong about telling the truth that it is more than possible to fall through the cracks with a chemical engineering degree? Do you understand what "more than possible" means? It doesn't necessarily mean "probable". I am proof it is possible, and the fact I'm not alone shows it is more than possible.

KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KingofLifts is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by the_individualist View Post
    Why the neg, KingofLifts? What do you mean, "wrong"? What is so wrong about sharing my situation? What is so wrong about telling the truth that it is more than possible to fall through the cracks with a chemical engineering degree? Do you understand what "more than possible" means? It doesn't necessarily mean "probable". I am proof it is possible, and the fact I'm not alone shows it is more than possible.
    I was drunk
    *Reps everyone who negs crew*
    *Track Crew*

EE Student Master Race Rayaarito's Avatar
    Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    After these years I've finally decided to bite the bullet and start my own company. Found a building and a machine, I'll slowly get it rolling I just have to make sure the machine is busy before it even gets there. Heading to UT - Austin for the MBA this spring, and I've taken the role of ISO/AS9100 rep at my current company to learn it all for my business.

I'm nervous about how much work I'm gonna find. I wouldn't do it if I hadn't designed, made, and sold a lot of parts to a lot of people.
    I wish all the best of luck to you bro. srs. I hope you succeed

DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DrinkingBull is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sup boyos.

Anyone have advice for applying out of state? I'm about to start my last year of undergrad.

Also when did you guys really start hitting the job market hard? Any tips for someone about to graduate?
    keep hustling cuz

TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TMaC828 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

How'd it go brah?

ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DrinkingBull View Post
    Sup boyos.

Anyone have advice for applying out of state? I'm about to start my last year of undergrad.

Also when did you guys really start hitting the job market hard? Any tips for someone about to graduate?
    I started applying before my senior year. Fall of senior year I had a locked in job offer and signed the contract. I only applied to jobs via the engineering career fairs at my school (Univ of Florida).

ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ichBinBerliner is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I jsut read through ur posts. Like other poster said: You dont owe chit to your current company. They will wait for you to complete a critical project then fire you the day after its done. The only exception to that is at veyrsmall companies or small family owned businesses.

How'd it go brah?
    Didn't hear anything for over a week. Got back in contact, was immediately hit with the generic "we looked at your qualifications, etc" type email.

Very discouraging...just gonna have to bite down and continue on

EE Student Master Race Rayaarito's Avatar
    Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Alright boyos! Last semester started. Only taking two classes and interning on Mon, Wed and Fri. Now let me tell you guys something. I WISH I started interning my very first semester. I have learned WAY more applicable **** than I ever had in my whole school career, srs. I'm very happy I got this internship because it forced me to learn what real problem solving is. I'd probably have a panic attack if I had to go through what I did in a big company if they gave everything I have now with actual expected progress and not some thought "he's just an intern. Good if he gets it. Whatever if he doesn't."

It's time to start applying for jobs. My GPA dropped to a 3.65 this semester but I still think that and having an internship will be good for me. I'm applying every where but I really want to stay in NY for financial reasons. I can still complete my goals outside of NY but it won't be as easy saving for it while paying for rent, food, utilities, etc. I'd also rather not be in Manhattan. But from my understanding, for your first job out, you grab what you can. Can anyone confirm? What did you guys start at? At minimum, I have to make 60k for my goals.

I also want to do what I'm doing now as an intern. Which I don't even know the title because I'm at a start-up and I'm doing everything imaginable. Programming MCUs, designing circuits, building servers and programing it, designing PCBs, etc. I feel like the electronic version of Monster Garage or Monkey Garage.

Didn't hear anything for over a week. Got back in contact, was immediately hit with the generic "we looked at your qualifications, etc" type email.

Very discouraging...just gonna have to bite down and continue on
    When one door closes another opens. Geez what a fkn ride this is.

Can anyone give some advice here..I'm applying for field engineer positions, my degree was mechanical engineering. I have my senior design project on my resume though it has nothing at all to do with the type of positions I'm applying to. Should I keep this on my resume? I figured I'd leave it on until I finally landed an actual engineering position then take it off later on down the road. Not sure if there's a point in keeping it on.

Also I've come to find out (complete FA here, didn't do this in college much) how important networking is. It kind of blows my mind. I really recommend and encourage everyone to network as much as possible.

toursover is on a distinguished road. (+10) toursover is on a distinguished road. (+10) toursover is on a distinguished road. (+10) toursover is on a distinguished road. (+10) toursover is on a distinguished road. (+10) toursover is on a distinguished road. (+10) toursover is on a distinguished road. (+10) toursover is on a distinguished road. (+10) toursover is on a distinguished road. (+10) toursover is on a distinguished road. (+10) toursover is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Anyone here in grad school or applying to grad school for next fall?

I'm a ME senior with two semesters left and I'm really torn right now between working after I graduate or going for my masters. I haven't started applying yet nor have I taken my GRE.

Any advice? I definitely want to go into R&D so I want a masters degree.

Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Rayaarito View Post
    It's time to start applying for jobs. My GPA dropped to a 3.65 this semester but I still think that and having an internship will be good for me. I'm applying every where but I really want to stay in NY for financial reasons. I can still complete my goals outside of NY but it won't be as easy saving for it while paying for rent, food, utilities, etc. I'd also rather not be in Manhattan. But from my understanding, for your first job out, you grab what you can. Can anyone confirm? What did you guys start at? At minimum, I have to make 60k for my goals.

I also want to do what I'm doing now as an intern. Which I don't even know the title because I'm at a start-up and I'm doing everything imaginable. Programming MCUs, designing circuits, building servers and programing it, designing PCBs, etc. I feel like the electronic version of Monster Garage or Monkey Garage.
    So when I graduated in 2013 with a BSEE, I graduated with a 3.60 engineering GPA in EE while having taken about 1/3rd of ME, 2 internships in R&D

My first job: $71k + $10k sign-on bonus

My personal value system for fresh grads with a BS, YMMV:
    I think anything > $60k is "acceptable"
    >$65k is "good"
    >$70k is "great"
    >$75k is you really hit some good pay

But when you're evaluating offers, you need to make sure you are keeping everything in mind:
    Benefits (401k, ESPP (employee-stock purchase plan), pension, etc)

I chose to sacrifice on location because everything else was what I wanted. You need to figure out for yourself what you really care about.

As far as, "you grab what you can." I actually disagree with this to an extent. I think you evaluate your position in the market and whether what you have been offered is good relative to what you have to offer. For instance, if you have a 2.5 GPA with no internships and you get an offer as *insert whatever position you don't want to do here* for $60k, then you may have to realize that you may not get a better offer, or at least not anytime soon.

On the other hand, if you're a > 3.0 GPA, 1+ internships, etc, then you can probably afford to wait for a position and/or pay that you really want. IMO it's a fine line between knowing when you're starting to get too greedy for what you can offer and when you should push for better/more.

In my case, I was wanting a minimum of $60k and R&D/Design. I was not willing to go lower than that on salary and I could have considered other job functions had everything else been good with an opportunity to go into R&D later on. I straight up told people interviewing me no when asked if *insert salary less than $60k here* was asked as "ok with me." If I didn't get what I wanted, I was prepared to stay in school another year to finish up the ME degree and I was perfectly content with doing that.

Can anyone give some advice here..I'm applying for field engineer positions, my degree was mechanical engineering. I have my senior design project on my resume though it has nothing at all to do with the type of positions I'm applying to. Should I keep this on my resume? I figured I'd leave it on until I finally landed an actual engineering position then take it off later on down the road. Not sure if there's a point in keeping it on.

Also I've come to find out (complete FA here, didn't do this in college much) how important networking is. It kind of blows my mind. I really recommend and encourage everyone to network as much as possible.
    I would leave the project on there. No reason not to until you have other things that are more important.

Networking can be important. Just depends. It's better to have a network in case you need it than to have no network at all, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by toursover View Post
    Anyone here in grad school or applying to grad school for next fall?

I'm a ME senior with two semesters left and I'm really torn right now between working after I graduate or going for my masters. I haven't started applying yet nor have I taken my GRE.

Any advice? I definitely want to go into R&D so I want a masters degree.
    So all my internships/jobs have been in R&D and I only have a bachelors. I haven't felt that I was limited by not having a MS/PhD. For instance, one job that I was competing for was against an MS and a PhD. It came down to me and the MS as they weren't particularly impressed with the PhD technically, interestingly enough. I ended up edging out the MS. A LOT of companies hire all 3 levels and you simply come in at eng I, II, or III depending on which degree you have.

With that being said, I want(ed) to do grad school, for no reason other than simply personal goals/for fun. I agree with those who told me it is much harder to do once you are out of school as you tend to start having less time and more responsibilities. I tend to agree. I still plan on doing it, but as I don't feel it a necessity to do what I want (which is R&D/design), I'm not in a rush. It would have been much easier to just delay working an extra year while completing a MS. The plus side to doing it once you graduate is that you're getting paid salary and most engineering companies will pay for it. Ironically, I'm at one of the few who won't atm, which is why I haven't. I was actually signed up at USC, but then they denied me tuition reimbursement, so now I'm waiting to go to another company that will pay for it.
    Gal Gadot Crew
    Madelaine Petsch Crew
    Victoria Justice Crew

Got promoted and a raise at work, making ~$85k now. Guaranteed to make $100k by March/April next year. I'm finally in a position where my next job will be an engineer, things have been going good. Been feeling motivated so I'll probably start studying for the FE again.

masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I graduated in 2011 with a BS in Computer Engineering. My school is ACCSC Accredited and ABET Accredited. I am trying to finally pursue a master's engineering degree, but so far the colleges have said no just because my school isn't "Regionally Accredited." Not sure what to do, they have the national accreditation and Engineering Accreditation, but because they don't have some regional accreditation it doesn't matter.

Do you guys have any insight on what I can do?

Page 132 of 139 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 130 131 132 133 134 ... LastLast