Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    leonlati will become famous soon enough. (+50) leonlati will become famous soon enough. (+50) leonlati will become famous soon enough. (+50) leonlati will become famous soon enough. (+50) leonlati will become famous soon enough. (+50) leonlati will become famous soon enough. (+50) leonlati will become famous soon enough. (+50) leonlati will become famous soon enough. (+50) leonlati will become famous soon enough. (+50) leonlati will become famous soon enough. (+50) leonlati will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cant feel db shoulder press

Everytime I train shoulders I can't feel it at all, its very hard to. I try lowering weight and can't really feel it still. Any advice is much appreciated.
    My rep range is 8-10.
    Should I raise it to 12-15 reps? I feel it in that rep range always or is that too high. ?
    PLEASE REPLY!

Feast to be Beast LiftHardEatHard's Avatar
    LiftHardEatHard will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftHardEatHard will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftHardEatHard will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftHardEatHard will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftHardEatHard will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftHardEatHard will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftHardEatHard will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftHardEatHard will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftHardEatHard will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftHardEatHard will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftHardEatHard will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    One day I did some lower rep ranges for strength and I couldn't feel my shoulders, so I picked up some lighter dumbbells and did 20 reps (to failure) to see what would happen. I got a crazy pump in my shoulders.

My theory is maybe doing a set of high reps tires out the triceps first so then on the last 10 reps or so you are primarily pressing the weight with your delts instead of triceps. But I'm not sure if it did anything or it was just building endurance. I watched a video on high reps for strength by George Leeman and it made sense to me so I tried it.
    Last edited by LiftHardEatHard; 12-06-2013 at 08:55 AM.

BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    who cares if you feel it. it's not important

Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Visagex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BlueCamel View Post
    Are you dumb?

you should most definitely feel the muscle you are working.
    Long live Visagex

stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Go heavier, and make sure your going down all the way and not doing half reps
    Reviews:
    to many^
    log (10days): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155575203&p=1104931703#post1104931703
    19 years old
    Diet:
    IIFYM

** VEGA BACK IN BLACK CREW **

Registered User CristianFitness's Avatar
    CristianFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Competing for most senseless post of the year award?

DarioBoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarioBoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarioBoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarioBoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarioBoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarioBoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarioBoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarioBoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarioBoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarioBoop is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarioBoop is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You are def doing it wrong then

BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10) BlueCamel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CristianFitness View Post
    Competing for most senseless post of the year award?
    Originally Posted by Visagex View Post
    Are you dumb?

you should most definitely feel the muscle you are working.

so you're saying that when you do deadlifts you should 'feel the muscle contracting' aswell? no. dumbasses. you're basically saying a pump is important.

stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stephenlatsha is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    so you're saying that when you do deadlifts you should 'feel the muscle contracting' aswell? no. dumbasses. you're basically saying a pump is important.
    You should feel the muscle your working on lol
    Reviews:
    to many^
    log (10days): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155575203&p=1104931703#post1104931703
    19 years old
    Diet:
    IIFYM

Originally Posted by stephenlatsha View Post
    You should feel the muscle your working on lol
    it doesnt matter if you do. do some research idiot.

it doesnt matter if you do. do some research idiot.
    Your just being silly, if you don't feel the muscle your working on clearly your not testing yourself and are lifting little girly weights
    Reviews:
    to many^
    19 years old
    Diet:
    IIFYM

Your just being silly, if you don't feel the muscle your working on clearly your not testing yourself and are lifting little girly weights
    or you have no idea what you're talking about.

Guess not
    Reviews:
    to many^
    19 years old
    Diet:
    IIFYM

VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Whilst mind muscle connection is very helpful, it is not entirely essential. I personally have lowered the weights to focus on form on a lot of my lifts because I was cheating (i.e. too much shoulder on bench press, too much back on curls).

At the end of the day, if you're deadlifting some heavy ****, you're going to be engaging your glutes and hammies in some way, but you may not always feel it depending on how your form is. From what i've read, you get better gains if you are really focussing on contraction of individual muscles, but it's not rocket science man.

If you squat to depth but, like me, feel it a lot on your lower back compared to your legs, it doesn't mean you're not using your legs does it? You're still loading your legs with the weight, they're still physically moving the weight, you just may feel it in other areas.

But like I said, i've started lifting with better form to feel contractions, it's not completely necessary though.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165717061

Originally Posted by VanillaBearB View Post
    Whilst mind muscle connection is very helpful, it is not entirely essential. I personally have lowered the weights to focus on form on a lot of my lifts because I was cheating (i.e. too much shoulder on bench press, too much back on curls).

At the end of the day, if you're deadlifting some heavy ****, you're going to be engaging your glutes and hammies in some way, but you may not always feel it depending on how your form is. From what i've read, you get better gains if you are really focussing on contraction of individual muscles, but it's not rocket science man.

If you squat to depth but, like me, feel it a lot on your lower back compared to your legs, it doesn't mean you're not using your legs does it? You're still loading your legs with the weight, they're still physically moving the weight, you just may feel it in other areas.

But like I said, i've started lifting with better form to feel contractions, it's not completely necessary though.
    Your still FEELING IT IN THE MUSCLE YOUR WORKING ON THOUGH! Thus if your feeling squats more in your back your not keeping back straight
    Reviews:
    to many^
    19 years old
    Diet:
    IIFYM

No you idiot a pump has do with blood rushing to the body part that you're working out and proper salt/water balance. You're also saying that when I do a deadlift I shouldn't feel my lower back and legs at work, amongst other body parts? I don't know what pathetic research you're doing but it definitely does not have the slightest scientific support. If you really believe what you're saying, I feel bad for anyone who follows your advice in the future.

If you're feeling a lot of pressure on your lower back when you're squatting then you're putting the weight on the front of your foot and not the heel, keeping your back straight. That form also increases your chances of an injury to your knees.

VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000) VanillaBearB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you're feeling a lot of pressure on your lower back when you're squatting then you're putting the weight on the front of your foot and not the heel, keeping your back straight. That form also increases your chances of an injury to your knees.
    Aye, I've lowered my weight. I've got flexibility issues, and am working on it. But the point is still valid, although you may not feel yourself working a muscle, you may still be working it.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165717061

Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000)
    lol @ everyone hating on this guy for this post

if you are doing a shoulder press the dominant movers are the front delt and the tricep regardless of whether you feel it of not

Aye, I've lowered my weight. I've got flexibility issues, and am working on it. But the point is still valid, although you may not feel yourself working a muscle, you may still be working it.
    So when your doing your lighter weight your not feeling at all in the muscle your working on is that what your trying to say cause if you are its not doing nothing at all.
    Reviews:
    to many^
    19 years old
    Diet:
    IIFYM

Originally Posted by Meadey View Post

if you are doing a shoulder press the dominant movers are the front delt and the tricep regardless of whether you feel it of not
    So I shouldn't feel anything in my anterior deltoid when doing an overhead shoulder press? Is that what you're trying to say?
    Current PR's:
    Bench Press - 285
    Squat - 335
    Deadlift - 325

I know what muscles it works. Every exercise will have a secondary muscle working and so on but you should still be feeling it that is what my point is
    Reviews:
    to many^
    19 years old
    Diet:
    IIFYM

Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000) Meadey is just really nice. (+1000)
    So I shouldn't feel anything in my anterior deltoid when doing a shoulder press? Is that what you're trying to say?
    No I didn't say that, you're just making things up. I'm saying that it is the dominant mover and you will grow if you overload whether you feel it or not

I know what muscles it works. Every exercise will have a secondary muscle working and so on but you should still be feeling it that is what my point is
    Not important

unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your a ****ing idiot. If you don't feel the muscle contracting and being "worked" then you are probably not even working the muscle at all! It has nothing to do with a pump dumbass.

Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    Your a ****ing idiot. If you don't feel the muscle contracting and being "worked" then you are probably not even working the muscle at all! It has nothing to do with a pump dumbass.
    'tis you who is the idiot, sir

[QUOTE=Meadey;1173762023]No I didn't say that, you're just making things up. I'm saying that it is the dominant mover and you will grow if you overload whether you feel it or not

Case and point. If you're providing progressive tension overload to the muscle, you should feel that muscle at work.
    Current PR's:
    Bench Press - 285
    Squat - 335
    Deadlift - 325

Case and point. If you're providing progressive tension overload to the muscle, you should feel that muscle at work.
    No that doesn't even make sense.

'tis you who is the idiot, sir
    You sir are the idiot sorry if you dont feel the muscle your working on guess you don't go heavy enough and don't push yourself in the gym
    Reviews:
    to many^
    19 years old
    Diet:
    IIFYM

You sir are the idiot sorry if you dont feel the muscle your working on guess you don't go heavy enough and don't push yourself in the gym
    I can't figure out what you're trying to say, lmao

TaxusBaccata is just really nice. (+1000) TaxusBaccata is just really nice. (+1000) TaxusBaccata is just really nice. (+1000) TaxusBaccata is just really nice. (+1000) TaxusBaccata is just really nice. (+1000) TaxusBaccata is just really nice. (+1000) TaxusBaccata is just really nice. (+1000) TaxusBaccata is just really nice. (+1000) TaxusBaccata is just really nice. (+1000) TaxusBaccata is just really nice. (+1000) TaxusBaccata is just really nice. (+1000)
    according to people in this thread, as an example, if i flex my elbow joint with a weight in my hand, but dont 'feel the muscle', my bicep isnt actually flexing my elbow, a phantom force is doing it instead