calibreck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

1000 cal deficit at ~23%?

Just as title asks, is a 1000cal deficit on rest days (4x's per week) okay while at roughly 23% bf? My workout days are at maintenance. Am I risking any muscle loss? Workouts are RPT compound lifts, relatively low volume, 2x6-8. I'm doing LISS on my non workout days for ~45-60min also.

I apologize if this is a commonly asked question. My search skills are not too hot.

Thanks
    Calibreck

sentinel3 is not very helpful. (-500) sentinel3 is not very helpful. (-500) sentinel3 is not very helpful. (-500) sentinel3 is not very helpful. (-500) sentinel3 is not very helpful. (-500) sentinel3 is not very helpful. (-500) sentinel3 is not very helpful. (-500) sentinel3 is not very helpful. (-500) sentinel3 is not very helpful. (-500) sentinel3 is not very helpful. (-500) sentinel3 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by calibreck View Post
    Just as title asks, is a 1000cal deficit on rest days (4x's per week) okay while at roughly 23% bf? My workout days are at maintenance. Am I risking any muscle loss? Workouts are RPT compound lifts, relatively low volume, 2x6-8. I'm doing LISS on my non workout days for ~45-60min also.

I apologize if this is a commonly asked question. My search skills are not too hot.

Thanks
    Calibreck
    1000 cals is too low. I wouldnt go below 800 on a deficit. If you lack enough protein in your system. The body will target the muscles and organs FIRST to get it.

Thats why you get many guys who end up skinny fat. Either they had no muscle mass. Or they lost alot on the way down through lack of understanding.

PowerMove has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PowerMove has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PowerMove has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PowerMove has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PowerMove has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PowerMove has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PowerMove has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PowerMove has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PowerMove has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PowerMove has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PowerMove has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks
    Calibreck
    Why complicate it? just keep it the same everyday. As long as you get adequate protein and lift heavy you probably won't be risking muscle loss at that bf%. I'm not 100% though, some of the other guys can help.
    Feb 1st- 161lbs

My bad guys, should have stated I'm at high high protein every day of the week. 40-50% of my calories are derived from protein.

vadimmmo is just really nice. (+1000) vadimmmo is just really nice. (+1000) vadimmmo is just really nice. (+1000) vadimmmo is just really nice. (+1000) vadimmmo is just really nice. (+1000) vadimmmo is just really nice. (+1000) vadimmmo is just really nice. (+1000) vadimmmo is just really nice. (+1000) vadimmmo is just really nice. (+1000) vadimmmo is just really nice. (+1000) vadimmmo is just really nice. (+1000)
    you prolly alot more then 23% if your 210 at 5:8 unless you have a freakish amount of muscle.
    anytime you cut you loose muscle anyway. keep your protein high, lift heavy, be consistent with your diet, and you'll make it brah. Plus the lower the bf the bigger you look anyway!
    that being said, I doubt you're actually doing a 1000 calorie deficit Most people over estimate there maintenance calories and way underestimate how much they actually eat. Aim for a 1000, and you'll prolly have a consistant 500-800 deficit that would work. Also what you're trying to do sounds like recomp, best of luck to you but I wouldnt recommend it in your case. You will end up over eating on the workout days and be starving yourself on the non workout days then week after week youre gonna become discouraged since the scale isnt moving.
    Bench 345lb
    Squat 475lb
    Deadlift 555lb

"If you're lean, you're not big enough.
    If you're big, you're not lean enough"

Cheap Under Armour at my Ebay store! Pm for BB.com discount
    http://www.ebay.com/usr/cheapnstylish

Originally Posted by vadimmmo View Post
    you prolly alot more then 23% if your 210 at 5:8 unless you have a freakish amount of muscle.
    anytime you cut you loose muscle anyway. keep your protein high, lift heavy, be consistent with your diet, and you'll make it brah. Plus the lower the bf the bigger you look anyway!
    that being said, I doubt you're actually doing a 1000 calorie deficit Most people over estimate there maintenance calories and way underestimate how much they actually eat. Aim for a 1000, and you'll prolly have a consistant 500-800 deficit that would work. Also what you're trying to do sounds like recomp, best of luck to you but I wouldnt recommend it in your case. You will end up over eating on the workout days and be starving yourself on the non workout days then week after week youre gonna become discouraged since the scale isnt moving.
    Thanks for the insight man. I probably ought to just post a picture to show my bf/size. That said, I used Martin Berkhans recommendation for maintence. He said to take weight in kg x 30. Which puts me around 2800kcal. I am doing leangains cut protocol btw. And I'm def not trying to gain any muscle on this cut, just keep as much as possible.

Thanks though guy, I'll shoot for 1000 deficit and we'll see what happens. I'll post some pictures and my macros in a sec

Here's one, like I said I'm 5'7.5-5'8 205-210.

I look surprisingly fatter on camera. I thought I was a little more lean. I'm 23% according to the navy or marine bf estimator. I did the one with the most measurements I believe. Anyway, any estimations would be helpful.
    Attached Images

Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Does not look like 23%, but that really does not matter anyway. Keep going till you like what stares back at you in the mirror.

As for the 1000cal deficit, I suggest you read Lyle McDonald's RFL book. It is worthwhile and will help preserve the muscle mass you have. More exercise during an aggressive fat loss plan is not the best route surprisingly enough. He also discusses some of the things one should supplement (legal options) with during this fat loss plan to maintain your health.

GL. You have done well so far.

Originally Posted by Brad805 View Post
    Does not look like 23%, but that really does not matter anyway. Keep going till you like what stares back at you in the mirror.

As for the 1000cal deficit, I suggest you read Lyle McDonald's RFL book. It is worthwhile and will help preserve the muscle mass you have. More exercise during an aggressive fat loss plan is not the best route surprisingly enough. He also discusses some of the things one should supplement (legal options) with during this fat loss plan to maintain your health.

GL. You have done well so far.
    Hey thanks a lot man. Just finished Rippletoe's Starting Strength recently, I'll go ahead and read the Lyle McDonald book - I've heard great things. Do you think I'm higher than 23%? This pose really makes my midsection look smaller than it does in other pictures.

I'm sorry guy, I'll just go to the bf estimator thread! Didn't realize there was one.

Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey thanks a lot man. Just finished Rippletoe's Starting Strength recently, I'll go ahead and read the Lyle McDonald book - I've heard great things. Do you think I'm higher than 23%? This pose really makes my midsection look smaller than it does in other pictures.

I'm sorry guy, I'll just go to the bf estimator thread! Didn't realize there was one.
    You are somewhere in the mid 20's. So if I read right a 1000 calorie deficit will put you at 1800 calories a day? That's low but not dangerously low IMO. Just don't go overboard with cardio and keep lifting as heavy as possible.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thanks
    Calibreck
    At your height and weight a 1,000 cal deficit is warranted if you want to lean out in any reasonable timeframe. As you lean out you lower the deficit. You say 4 days a week well what about the other 3? You won't be in a 1,000 cal daily deficit unless that's your deficit EVERY day. 4 days at minus a thousand and 3 days at maintenance is only a 3,000 cal defecit per week which is less than a pound a week in fatloss.

You need to figure your deficit or surplus on a weekly rather than daily basis.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brad805 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I see now your maint is 2,800, so the 1,000cal deficit still leaves you with a reasonable amount of cal's. The book I suggested is more applicable when you want to drop the calories a little farther. 1,800 is not that hard, but I totally agree with Tommy that you should think of the deficit on a weekly basis. It is pretty easy to de-rail a weeks progress with a couple days.

Masochron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Masochron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Masochron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Masochron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Masochron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Masochron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Masochron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Masochron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Masochron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Masochron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Masochron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Go for it. You'll be fine as long as you lift heavy and take in an adequate supply of protein.

6ScrewCrew will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6ScrewCrew will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6ScrewCrew will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6ScrewCrew will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6ScrewCrew will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6ScrewCrew will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6ScrewCrew will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6ScrewCrew will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6ScrewCrew will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6ScrewCrew will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6ScrewCrew will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Go for it, it is plenty safe. Just keep your protein levels high and you will be alright. I've been cutting at 1200 one week 800 next week 1200 one week 800 the next for awhile.

Eat protein and keep working out hard and it is good. so far 39 lbs of weight loss
    Shoulder Surgeries Suck.