Thread: Bicep Growth

Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Bicep Growth

I've been doing my new workout for a couple weeks, and I know I won't see improvement for a good 2-3months, but I'm curious about bicep growth.

My back/bicep day looks like this:

Widegrip Pullup
    Closegrip Chinup
    Barbell Row
    Deadlift
    EZBar Curl
    Midgrip Lat Pulldown (alt. with Concentration or Hammer Curls)

Right now I have 14" biceps, highly unimpressive for a 6'5 man. I'm hoping to get 15-15.25" biceps by summer. There's very little fat on my arms (pretty good definition/vascularity). Is gaining 1-1.25" of bicep growth a realistic goal in the next 5mths?
    I train hard, I eat right. I just finished a 2yr cut (320>215), so I'm starting a little bulk before the summer-cut. I have big legs, and a thick core, so i'm just trying to balance out my arms to fill in the sleeves of my shirts
    Still workin'

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lil Freek has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ok... so according to that, it's possible to gain 1/4" per 2wks
    I'm hoping for 1/4" per month, essentially. Ideally, I'd like 1/2", but that's shooting for the stars.

I wish i was short, my 14" arms would look so much more impressive.
    Still workin'

Curl Master has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Curl Master has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Curl Master has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Curl Master has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Curl Master has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Curl Master has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Curl Master has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Curl Master has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Curl Master has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Curl Master has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Curl Master has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Lil Freek View Post
    ok... so according to that, it's possible to gain 1/4" per 2wks
    I'm hoping for 1/4" per month, essentially. Ideally, I'd like 1/2", but that's shooting for the stars.

I wish i was short, my 14" arms would look so much more impressive.
    Your are going to need more arm exercises in your workout. Weighted Triceps Dip and Heavy Barbell Curls (6 reps max) are ones that are key for me for increasing the thickness and size of my arms. Other good exercises are Skull Crushers, Close-Grip Bench Press, Dumbell Row, E-Z Curl, and Preacher Curl with E-Z Curl.

li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That is a reasonable goal and I like your bicep routine. HOwever beware when doing them on back day, i.e. that you have enough energy to give it 110% for biceps. Prioritize your weaknesses!

CM - i do dips on Tricep days, and widegrip benchpress (chest is lagging too), as well as tricep extentions, and i think i might try to throw in Skull crushers as i tossed shoulders over to leg-day.

I don't find that my back is distracting from my bicep day. I save lat pulldown for last cuz i'm least concerned with it. I start with Pullup and Chinup cuz they're the most important compounds, imo (for the growth i'm aiming for)

Major prob i have is everything from my ribcage and up is pretty weak (midback/lats, traps, biceps, triceps, chest)
    Delts and forearms are alright, but that's from years of furious masterbation
    Still workin'

you know what just clicked - i'm stupid/retarded. I keep relating 'arm size' to bicep, and forget about triceps.

I'll admit, 1yr ago, i could do 40lbs tricep extensions, just restarted extensions again last week... 45lbs! LOL. The Rippetoe program really doesn't focus on triceps (other than bench and occasional dips)
    As I've restarted the Tricep Extensions, I'm hoping to get some good tricep growth along with bicep growth
    Still workin'

RIKTER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RIKTER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RIKTER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RIKTER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RIKTER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RIKTER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RIKTER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RIKTER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RIKTER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RIKTER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RIKTER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Ive gained about an inch on my arms since I started lifting several months ago and I havent done any direct bicep work, just heavy pressing and heavy tricep work, remember the tri makes up about 2/3 of the arm...with that said though Im going to adding some bi work.

li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Lil Freek View Post
    you know what just clicked - i'm stupid/retarded. I keep relating 'arm size' to bicep, and forget about triceps.

I'll admit, 1yr ago, i could do 40lbs tricep extensions, just restarted extensions again last week... 45lbs! LOL. The Rippetoe program really doesn't focus on triceps (other than bench and occasional dips)
    As I've restarted the Tricep Extensions, I'm hoping to get some good tricep growth along with bicep growth

Good. If that is you in the picture, your biceps are not bad but your triceps are your weakness. I would emphasize your triceps more, as that is where your true arm girth should come from (I should know, my biceps are good but my triceps stink)

yes, that's my arm.
    I'm hoping my new workout helps focus a lot more attention/effort into my triceps.
    Maybe i'll start the Skull Crushers today.

Chest/Tricep workout looks like this:

Benchpress
    Pec Deck
    Dips
    Tricep Pushdown (rope)

I'm definitely going to add Skull crushers today.
    I gotta find something else for my chest :S

edit: I always thought the tricep pushdown was called an Extension. So I'm going to add in Extensions today, and prob. alternate with Skull Crushers.
    Last edited by Lil Freek; 02-23-2007 at 11:02 AM.
    Still workin'