Alvingreen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

heavy on free weights or heavy on smith?

Like what people said, if you wanna get big you gonna lift big, If im lifting heavy, must i go for free weights or smith machine? For example, bench press. I know free weights is good as in it trains your stabilising muscles, whereas smith machine targets on certain specific muscle parts. If Im lifting heav, on free weights, i wouldnt be balancing and doesnt it like gets your muscle out of symmetry? But smith machine will get the targeted muscles work, but it doesnt train your stabilising muscles, right? I need some opinion, free weights or smith for chest, why? Thanks

Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozef has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Alvingreen View Post
    Like what people said, if you wanna get big you gonna lift big, If im lifting heavy, must i go for free weights or smith machine? For example, bench press. I know free weights is good as in it trains your stabilising muscles, whereas smith machine targets on certain specific muscle parts. If Im lifting heav, on free weights, i wouldnt be balancing and doesnt it like gets your muscle out of symmetry? But smith machine will get the targeted muscles work, but it doesnt train your stabilising muscles, right? I need some opinion, free weights or smith for chest, why? Thanks
    Free weights > Machines

Certain machines have their place (especially cable stations) but free weights are best. Range of motion, unhindered motion, need to stabilize etc.

Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Free weight if possible. The Smith machine is unnatural and even potentially dangerous for many lifts.
    My running and ICF 5x5 log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153761921

napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500) napa1m is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Heavy on both

Although freeweight is usually better

Smith is perfectly fine too though

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Alvingreen View Post
    If you have to ask the question, just stick with free weights for now.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    If you have to ask the question, just stick with free weights for now.
    But if i go heavy on free weights i wouldnt be able to balance well, and if i keep this up i might be sticking on the same weight

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Search for the 10 berzillion threads on this already.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The conditions you're talking about aren't laws of resistance training.
    -------
    Heavy free-weights doesn't mean inherent lack of balance.

Marginal losses of weight or stability isn't a thin red line between winners and losers.

...Most important, bodybuilding doesn't entail making a commitment to either of these principals. It takes personal dedication and time to figure out which exercises you should be doing, and you don't decide beforehand that all or even majority of your exercises will be generally intensive, or constrictively tense.

Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

"You can't re-rack life half-way though"

"Breathe into your balls and follow your heart."

Current Total : 1050
    Bench: 240, Squat: 355, Deadlift: 455

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    The conditions you're talking about aren't laws of resistance training.
    -------
    Heavy free-weights doesn't mean inherent lack of balance.

Marginal losses of weight or stability isn't a thin red line between winners and losers.

...Most important, bodybuilding doesn't entail making a commitment to either of these principals. It takes personal dedication and time to figure out which exercises you should be doing, and you don't decide beforehand that all or even majority of your exercises will be generally intensive, or constrictively tense.
    FOr example, chest press and incline chest press, what if I do both smith and free weights? And besides my workout program is one day one body part, so on a particular day I'll be hitting only chest.

JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JOoa0ky is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    IMO, high incline press and BTN press in smyth is phenomenal for shoulder development.

Also, if you've never tried somersaults in the smyth for quad sweep then you are by far missing out (:

Just saying that its not a waste of space as most are taught during their BB 're-education'.
    Always keep an open mind to exercises.