born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Pay structure for the personal trainer ...I need advice.

I have been working my first official PT job since July of this year and I'm curious about the pay structure I'm encountering.

a few details....first I am certified.
    Second...I am 1099'ed, and the pay disbursement is 50/50.
    Third and this is where the question comes in...the gym owner has asked repeatedly that myself and the other trainers (there are currently 2 others) hang out/around the gym helping out when we are not training clients. To include cleaning gym equipment, etc. His reasoning is that we use the equipment to train our clients on , we should take pride in it and help out etc.

I'm on board with this with one exception...and maybe I just need an attitude adjustment lol , but the time he is asking of us to stay/hang out/clean equipment etc (the other day I stayed to help put up the christmas tree, no joke) is NOT paid time. The owner does have people he pays and hourly wage to man the front desk and shake bar, but the only time I am paid for is the 50% I get off paid client sessions.

I will add too that the gym requires us to do a free comp session each time a new member signs up. This is how we book clients and while at times its difficult because I can tell the person has zero interest in continuing with me after the freebie, I also know that its a system that works and have built a good client base from it.

My thing is the owner wanting me to hang out around the gym when I'm not being paid. Time is more precious than money often, and while I don't mind helping out and pitching in, I will admit that the times when I haven't spent as much time doing this I feel as though preferential treatment has been given to one of the other trainers that does ( I will also add that trainer is not married and has no kids, I on the other hand have several as does the third trainer )

Am I being a big baby at this? I don't want to be disrespectful, but I can't help but feel as though asking me to give my time freely especially when the owner already takes a HUGE cut of my pay isn't exactly beneficial to me. I was wondering if anyone else has ever encountered this, is it normal for gyms to expect this? Should I ask for an hourly wage for those times and otherwise refuse or should I just suck it up...

TIA.
    ~ Christie ~
    Military vet, and working mama to a troop

Nutrition fanatic/ISSA CPT

"NEVER give up, NEVER stop, NEVER QUIT!!" " GET IT GIRL!"

MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had the same issue as what you are currently facing at the last gym I worked at.
    was asked to come in and just "hang out" at the gym on days and times when I had no clients or classes to instruct - all the while not being paid for it. It eventually became a point of contention between me and the owner.
    As far as I'm concerned, if you are at work, regardless of what you are doing, you need to be getting paid. Unless you are an intern or volunteer or don't value time..then go for it. The fact that a lot of gym owners can't understand this or are willingly taking advantage of ppl blows my mind.
    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Camus

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    My point to him would be if I'm cleaning, doing whatever to help you with your gym then that should be paid time just like you would pay a cleaner or any other staff member. You don't work for free. Period. And frankly you should still be getting paid for that "free" hour that is given to new members in order to try to sell them PT. If you sell PT, they make money.

The problem is that he's already established a culture where this is okay and people go along with it, which is where your battle is going to be. You would need to get the other trainers together, present your case as a united group and then see how he reacts.

Trollin4Tuna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by born2dothis View Post
    I have been working my first official PT job since July of this year and I'm curious about the pay structure I'm encountering.

a few details....first I am certified.
    Second...I am 1099'ed, and the pay disbursement is 50/50.
    Third and this is where the question comes in...the gym owner has asked repeatedly that myself and the other trainers (there are currently 2 others) hang out/around the gym helping out when we are not training clients. To include cleaning gym equipment, etc. His reasoning is that we use the equipment to train our clients on , we should take pride in it and help out etc.

I'm on board with this with one exception...and maybe I just need an attitude adjustment lol , but the time he is asking of us to stay/hang out/clean equipment etc (the other day I stayed to help put up the christmas tree, no joke) is NOT paid time. The owner does have people he pays and hourly wage to man the front desk and shake bar, but the only time I am paid for is the 50% I get off paid client sessions.

I will add too that the gym requires us to do a free comp session each time a new member signs up. This is how we book clients and while at times its difficult because I can tell the person has zero interest in continuing with me after the freebie, I also know that its a system that works and have built a good client base from it.

My thing is the owner wanting me to hang out around the gym when I'm not being paid. Time is more precious than money often, and while I don't mind helping out and pitching in, I will admit that the times when I haven't spent as much time doing this I feel as though preferential treatment has been given to one of the other trainers that does ( I will also add that trainer is not married and has no kids, I on the other hand have several as does the third trainer )

Am I being a big baby at this? I don't want to be disrespectful, but I can't help but feel as though asking me to give my time freely especially when the owner already takes a HUGE cut of my pay isn't exactly beneficial to me. I was wondering if anyone else has ever encountered this, is it normal for gyms to expect this? Should I ask for an hourly wage for those times and otherwise refuse or should I just suck it up...

TIA.
    The thing that stands out to me is that you are 1099, meaning independent contractor. Lots of employers try to do this to keep from paying employment taxes, insurance, etc. Just based on the info you provided, I could make a case that you are an employee. You should, and most likely are, wiping down equipment after your clients use it so asking you to clean other equipment is out of the scope of what services a personal trainer offers. You are paid 50% of the personal training fee to train for X minutes. Once that time has passed your obligation is done.

If you were training a client at their house and they asked you to mow their grass after the session, would you do it? No. Would you assemble their bowflex? No. After their time is up, they are no longer entitled to any more unless they pay or you do it out of the goodness of your heart.

So unless you start a gym equipment cleaning business and start invoicing the gym owner for the cleaning, I would not do it. You are being taken advantage of by a cheap a$$ who doesn't want to hire someone to do that job.

Depending on what state you are in, the client (the gym is not an employer if you are actually an independent contractor) could be breaking some labor laws. I'm not an attorney so you would have to speak with one directly about your individual case if you decide to take things up a level. If you don't, I understand as it is not always feasible to do so but I would research this a little more to prevent this from happening in the future. Also you will be able to identify an employer using these tactics so you can steer clear. If they take advantage of employment laws they are likely to screw you over in other ways too.

JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ive never been in that situation. I am guessing you could talk to the person about it /communicate with them. That said, it is a business relationship and they have power over you, even if you are independent, ive been there, and as fast as they agreed to work a deal with you, they can terminate you nicely by asking you to finish up your sessions and not come back. I recommend using good judgement. Maybe look for another gym to work out a deal with and start looking now by setting up an appointment with another gym head of fitness department, and giving them your pitch
    Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.

Online coaching avilable
    ******** Great Physique Fitness https://www.********.com/Great-Physique-Fitness-575323199169735/?ref=hl
    Twitter SmetonFitness https://twitter.com/SmetonFitness
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/great_physique_fitness/?hl=en

born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500) born2dothis is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MkADcision View Post
    I had the same issue as what you are currently facing at the last gym I worked at.
    was asked to come in and just "hang out" at the gym on days and times when I had no clients or classes to instruct - all the while not being paid for it. It eventually became a point of contention between me and the owner.
    As far as I'm concerned, if you are at work, regardless of what you are doing, you need to be getting paid. Unless you are an intern or volunteer or don't value time..then go for it. The fact that a lot of gym owners can't understand this or are willingly taking advantage of ppl blows my mind.
    I completely understand it becoming a point of contention because it is constantly in the back of my mind...I definitely feel like I'm being taken advantage of in order to further the owners business.
    ~ Christie ~

Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    My point to him would be if I'm cleaning, doing whatever to help you with your gym then that should be paid time just like you would pay a cleaner or any other staff member. You don't work for free. Period. And frankly you should still be getting paid for that "free" hour that is given to new members in order to try to sell them PT. If you sell PT, they make money.

The problem is that he's already established a culture where this is okay and people go along with it, which is where your battle is going to be. You would need to get the other trainers together, present your case as a united group and then see how he reacts.
    Yes they do get paid as soon as I sell a package...and I dont get paid off those sessions until I perform them (where as the owner makes his money immediately).

I don't know about the third trainer, but the one I can pretty much guarantee he won't question it. This trainer has high preferential treatment, but he has been there the longest too. The few times in the past I've made suggestions about how to help things run more smoothly (for example when I asked that when comp sessions are scheduled they put them out at least 24 hours OR call me to make sure its ok...I was talked too like I was being a baby and needed to just make room in my schedule if I have those hours logged as available, or I needed to remove myself from the schedule. Its a paper schedule LOL if I'm not present in the gym for a few hours I have no idea what comps have been scheduled and have actually missed a few because no one called me and I wasn't aware).

Anyway lol I'd love too, but sadly I doubt I'd have anyone on my side :/
    ~ Christie ~

Chairman of the bored Postmort3m's Avatar
    Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You should be getting paid "floor" hours for anything other that actual pt sessions and prospecting for clients- even if it is minimum wage you should be compensated unless you signed some agreement to the contrary.
    ~Cobra Kai Crew~

>>>>>Florida State Seminoles Tomahawk Nation Crew>>>>>

Originally Posted by Trollin4Tuna View Post
    The thing that stands out to me is that you are 1099, meaning independent contractor. Lots of employers try to do this to keep from paying employment taxes, insurance, etc. Just based on the info you provided, I could make a case that you are an employee. You should, and most likely are, wiping down equipment after your clients use it so asking you to clean other equipment is out of the scope of what services a personal trainer offers. You are paid 50% of the personal training fee to train for X minutes. Once that time has passed your obligation is done.

If you were training a client at their house and they asked you to mow their grass after the session, would you do it? No. Would you assemble their bowflex? No. After their time is up, they are no longer entitled to any more unless they pay or you do it out of the goodness of your heart.

So unless you start a gym equipment cleaning business and start invoicing the gym owner for the cleaning, I would not do it. You are being taken advantage of by a cheap a$$ who doesn't want to hire someone to do that job.

Depending on what state you are in, the client (the gym is not an employer if you are actually an independent contractor) could be breaking some labor laws. I'm not an attorney so you would have to speak with one directly about your individual case if you decide to take things up a level. If you don't, I understand as it is not always feasible to do so but I would research this a little more to prevent this from happening in the future. Also you will be able to identify an employer using these tactics so you can steer clear. If they take advantage of employment laws they are likely to screw you over in other ways too.
    Excellent point...no I would not do *extras* for a client if I were in their home training. A lot of what has transpired since I started there has given me the "cheap a**" vibe... I've been asked to come up with ideas to generate business...then after I do it gets turned down. I was also told I could recommend any supplements I wanted to for my clients, and last week I was told that is no longer the case.

I'm sad LOL this was my first real experience, and the set up was sold to me as an incredibly positive place to work in, and I've since come to realize that its more about the owner's bottom line versus changing people's lives. Not that we don't do what we do to make a living/money, but ethically speaking I think most trainers don't become trainers just to cash in.

I will take your advice for sure, thank you! I'm curious to see if he is breaking labor laws as well...
    ~ Christie ~

Originally Posted by JohnSmeton View Post
    Ive never been in that situation. I am guessing you could talk to the person about it /communicate with them. That said, it is a business relationship and they have power over you, even if you are independent, ive been there, and as fast as they agreed to work a deal with you, they can terminate you nicely by asking you to finish up your sessions and not come back. I recommend using good judgement. Maybe look for another gym to work out a deal with and start looking now by setting up an appointment with another gym head of fitness department, and giving them your pitch

No I def can't talk to the owner about it. I've approached him on other things and he doesn't want to hear anything about anything unless its him making more $ (and trust me I'm not the type to exaggerate, he truly has zero involvement unless its reminding me something he feels i'm not doing correctly...)

I've been looking for a few weeks now but nothing so far....thanks for the advice though, much appreciated!
    ~ Christie ~

Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    FYI- while gym gets paid for the sessions upfront, they cannot actually realize the money until the session(s) is(are) performed.

This is why the push should be to perform sessions- not sell packages.
    ~Cobra Kai Crew~

Originally Posted by Postmort3m View Post
    You should be getting paid "floor" hours for anything other that actual pt sessions and prospecting for clients- even if it is minimum wage you should be compensated unless you signed some agreement to the contrary.
    I'm going to check my contract and see what it says good idea...
    ~ Christie ~

FYI- while gym gets paid for the sessions upfront, they cannot actually realize the money until the session(s) is(are) performed.

This is why the push should be to perform sessions- not sell packages.

hmmmmm I dont think that is how he is doing it, I'm pretty sure he gets his half right away because it comes out of my clients bank accounts and into his in full.
    ~ Christie ~

Originally Posted by born2dothis View Post
    hmmmmm I dont think that is how he is doing it, I'm pretty sure he gets his half right away because it comes out of my clients bank accounts and into his in full.
    Yes the client pays but on the other end of it, that money is basically in escrow until released as each session is completed.

Same laws apply to spa sessions, gift cards, etc
    ~Cobra Kai Crew~

Yes the client pays but on the other end of it, that money is basically in escrow until released as each session is completed.

Same laws apply to spa sessions, gift cards, etc
    ah ok, gotcha.
    ~ Christie ~

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Sounds like a pretty typical small gym set up with a pretty typical crappy owner. Unfortunately those are the cards you have been dealt. I'd suggest staying only to get some experience but constantly be looking for another opportunity and when one comes up, take it and tell them to pound sand, you don't owe them anything.

Simple things like scheduling issues like you have talked about are simply an indication that they really don't care about how things are run.

Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    Sounds like a pretty typical small gym set up with a pretty typical crappy owner. Unfortunately those are the cards you have been dealt. I'd suggest staying only to get some experience but constantly be looking for another opportunity and when one comes up, take it and tell them to pound sand, you don't owe them anything.

Simple things like scheduling issues like you have talked about are simply an indication that they really don't care about how things are run.
    Its interesting because at times I see a lot of effort put into certain things,...example we asked for certain equipment be relocated to make it easier on us as trainers...it was done. Stuff like that. Its just a lot of other things, usually things I ask for that seem to get snubbed. Yesterday I asked for a concrete example of the *goal* sheet we are required to turn in each month. The first month I threw out a $ amount of what I wanted to make...the second month I was asked to break it down so I did. The third month I was told that I needed to submit a goal that was much lower than I anticipated making so that it would be reachable. ???what?! lol
    This month I asked specifically for a break down of exactly what it is he would like to see on this *goal sheet* because if I were told it should contain XY and Z I could upload it onto my computer and fill it out accordingly and it would take me minutes. And...I got nothing lol I was told we would discuss it later. He has mentioned before the goals are more for his budget than anything. This is the sort of thing that confuses me.........

Its enough to where I have questioned if I belong in this industry. I didn't do it for the money, I did it because I love helping others and I love the flexibility it allows me schedule wise, I'm lucky if I make $23 per 1 hr session right now...
    ~ Christie ~

Johntitus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Johntitus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Johntitus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Johntitus has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Here's the deal, (I worked as a fitness director for a gym chain for a while so I know it's a sticky issue) if you are getting a 1099 then you are an independent contractor and basically use the gym for a fee (%50 in this case), so when you are off the clock you technically don't HAVE to do any more work. However, since it sounds like you get your clients from his/her member base (and new members) they are going to have a little leverage over you and will probably use that leverage to get free work from you. Which all (or all most all gym owners) will do if they can.
    My advice; your best bet is to clean the equipment (since you use it as part of your biz) and other simple trainer tasks and use the time to work hard and build up a loyal clientele without letting the owner take advantage of you too much (cleaning bathrooms, too much free time, etc..). Once you have a clientele that is more loyal to you than the gym and who would follow you to another gym (and this will happen if you are a quality trainer) then you will have the power/leverage to renegotiate a new deal because they won't want to lose you.
    So unless you can get a better deal from another gym right now, you might have to suck it up (without letting them completely take advantage of you)
    Good luck!
    John Prather
    Team MuscleTech sponsored athlete
    B.S. Exercise and Sports Science
    ACE, ISSA, EFTI Certified Trainer

Originally Posted by Johntitus View Post
    Here's the deal, (I worked as a fitness director for a gym chain for a while so I know it's a sticky issue) if you are getting a 1099 then you are an independent contractor and basically use the gym for a fee (%50 in this case), so when you are off the clock you technically don't HAVE to do any more work. However, since it sounds like you get your clients from his/her member base (and new members) they are going to have a little leverage over you and will probably use that leverage to get free work from you. Which all (or all most all gym owners) will do if they can.
    My advice; your best bet is to clean the equipment (since you use it as part of your biz) and other simple trainer tasks and use the time to work hard and build up a loyal clientele without letting the owner take advantage of you too much (cleaning bathrooms, too much free time, etc..). Once you have a clientele that is more loyal to you than the gym and who would follow you to another gym (and this will happen if you are a quality trainer) then you will have the power/leverage to renegotiate a new deal because they won't want to lose you.
    So unless you can get a better deal from another gym right now, you might have to suck it up (without letting them completely take advantage of you)
    Good luck!

yeah that's basically what I've been doing...I'm probably going back to school anyway so I just need to keep my head in the game and do what I can to make it thru...or find employment elsewhere lol

Thanks!
    ~ Christie ~

CMak712 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As a trainer your also a sales person so your time hanging out is your time to sale PT

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by CMak712 View Post
    As a trainer your also a sales person so your time hanging out is your time to sale PT
    This is true, however this doesn't mean it's a free shift for the owner to wallet-rape the trainer. Any time you're at "work", you're to be paid regardless. Because when you're walking the floor doing prospecting, you're still working for that gym and trying to earn them some money anyway (what with their % cuts and everything). If you're providing a service for that gym, even if it's just chatting and giving advice/support, it's helping their members. Helping his gym. Which equates to needing to be paid for that time.

Trainer's that have to do their own sales still need to be compensated for that time. Owner's who don't pay their staff for this, are taking advantage of the fact that usually a) that trainer is inexperienced and doesn't know the industry, b) is easy to be persuaded or talked into certain things, c) breaking the law if the contract stipulates otherwise.

If the trainer doesn't have to prospect and take care of sales, then yes, there's no need for you the trainer to do as much floor work. Just concentrate on the sessions.

You're not in the gym to just "hang out", you yourself are there to make a living like any other job. Does any other job's boss keep their employees working for nothing? Course not.

If you believe you should be paid for your time on the floor, regardless, tell him what your expectations are. If he doesn't agree, then you leave, and he misses out on a great trainer (and if enough trainer's do this to him, he'll re-model his business hopefully, otherwise he won't be left with a business in the first place). His loss, your win. You'll succeed at another gym where they actually pay people for their time.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

Originally Posted by Simmo0508 View Post
    This is true, however this doesn't mean it's a free shift for the owner to wallet-rape the trainer. Any time you're at "work", you're to be paid regardless. Because when you're walking the floor doing prospecting, you're still working for that gym and trying to earn them some money anyway (what with their % cuts and everything). If you're providing a service for that gym, even if it's just chatting and giving advice/support, it's helping their members. Helping his gym. Which equates to needing to be paid for that time.

Trainer's that have to do their own sales still need to be compensated for that time. Owner's who don't pay their staff for this, are taking advantage of the fact that usually a) that trainer is inexperienced and doesn't know the industry, b) is easy to be persuaded or talked into certain things, c) breaking the law if the contract stipulates otherwise.

If the trainer doesn't have to prospect and take care of sales, then yes, there's no need for you the trainer to do as much floor work. Just concentrate on the sessions.

You're not in the gym to just "hang out", you yourself are there to make a living like any other job. Does any other job's boss keep their employees working for nothing? Course not.

If you believe you should be paid for your time on the floor, regardless, tell him what your expectations are. If he doesn't agree, then you leave, and he misses out on a great trainer (and if enough trainer's do this to him, he'll re-model his business hopefully, otherwise he won't be left with a business in the first place). His loss, your win. You'll succeed at another gym where they actually pay people for their time.

Good advice for sure. I enjoy being there interacting with the members and helping when I can't...its that its expected of me and I can't always give it due to time constraints, and as I mentioned above the preferential treatment given to the trainer that does.

Now I just need to get the balls to suggest it lol
    ~ Christie ~

ejay24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ejay24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ejay24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ejay24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ejay24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ejay24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ejay24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ejay24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ejay24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Agreed

Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're an independent contractor not an employee. I'd say train your clients and then leave. When he asks just politely say you have other obligations and leave.

oceannites has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Broseph82 View Post
    You're an independent contractor not an employee. I'd say train your clients and then leave. When he asks just politely say you have other obligations and leave.
    This^^^^ and remember at the end of the year he is going to send a 1099 to the IRS and the IRS will be waiting for you to list that income on your tax return. Contact the state office that handles labor matters. There are rules that businesses must comply with such as min. wage. and whether someone is a independent contractor or employee ect. It certainly does not appear that he is legit.