IronMegadeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I Need Some Advice/Criticism

Hello, I'll try to make this thread as aesthetically pleasing as possible so no one gets bored reading it.

ABOUT ME
    -----------
    I'm 19, 5'7 and weigh 143 lb. My BF % is somewhere around 15-17%.

MY PLAN/GOAL/INTENTION
    --------------------------
    I'm NOT trying to be big and buff AT ALL. I just want to look ripped, if that makes sense.

MY CURRENT PROGRAM
    -----------------------
    I go to the gym 4 days a week.

Day 1: Moderate cardio + Biceps + Triceps
    Day 2: Moderate cardio + Shoulders + Chest
    Day 3: Intense cardio + Back
    Day 4: Moderate cardio + Legs + Abs

MY DIET
    ---------
    I'm generally operating at a calorie deficit of about 200 calories.

Problem is, I barely know anything about anything that has to do with gymmying/bodybuilding/getting lean/ripped/etc. Can someone please shed some light on the subject and tell me how I can improve my current lifestyle and how I can achieve my goals? Also let me know if I missed out any vital information.

Thank you very much!

Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Post a picture of yourself and what you'd like to look like.
    My running and ICF 5x5 log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153761921

Alright, my picture is (obviously lol) the first one, and I've found the other two off of Google.
    Attached Images

Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That's about what I expected. To look like those guys, you don't need to lose weight, you need to gain it.

Read the sticky threads here and in nutrition. Pick a lifting plan and stick with it. Eat enough to gain a few pounds a month. If you want to do cardio for health thats great but eat more to offset it.

Your body fat doesn't actually look terrible, you just have no muscle.
    My running and ICF 5x5 log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153761921

Really? I was always under the impression that if I focus on reducing body fat percentage and work on the muscles, somehow I'll end up looking like that, how come it doesn't work like that?

Also, being the complete amateur that I am, I have a lot of questions, but the main one I could think of right now is: Let's assume I were to continue doing what I'm doing for another 6 months (basically eating at a small deficit + doing the workout that I'm doing now) what would end up happening/how would I end up looking?

chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by IronMegadeth View Post
    Really? I was always under the impression that if I focus on reducing body fat percentage and work on the muscles, somehow I'll end up looking like that, how come it doesn't work like that?

Also, being the complete amateur that I am, I have a lot of questions, but the main one I could think of right now is: Let's assume I were to continue doing what I'm doing for another 6 months (basically eating at a small deficit + doing the workout that I'm doing now) what would end up happening/how would I end up looking?
    It doesn't work like that because you have zero muscle. Those guys have A LOT OF MUSCLE. To gain muscle you need to eat in a surplus.

Continue cutting with zero muscle and you'll turn more and more into a stick insect.

You'd get the Justin Bieber physique at best.

Adding muscle will make it easier to cut fat eventually, and will make you look better when you do. If you keep weight gain reasonable you'll gain minimal fart asking the way.

So basically, eat more + lift = gain muscle, but won't that also gain fat?

Not if you eat at a small surplus over your maintenance calories. Go read the Nutrition forum.

db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Those 2 models actually have a ton of muscle. You don't show all that definition just by losing fat. You have to build the base first.

You are in good shape now, just as said above you have very little mass. You need to bulk slowly for a couple of years to begin to show signs of looking like the other 2 guys.

I recommend 2-300 calories over maintenance. Drop the bro-split routine for now as it will take you way longer to make the gains than on a fullbody routine.

Look up allpros, ICF 5x5 or even starting strength or stronglifts. The latter 2 dont perfectly fit your goals (hypertrophy) but adding strength has a high carryover to hypertrophy. It will prepare you to work with the main lifts and increase your strength so you are able to use more weight on the main and acessory lifts once you move to a more mass/hypertrophy orientated program.

Also as said above, read the nutrition stickies as nutrition is of #1 priority when you want to look ripped. If you don't get the diet down, no workout program will make you look like those guys. Head over to the nutrition forum for that. there are a few guys that hang out there that really know thier **** and will be more than willing to help. Just be prepared for some lip, it's just how it works over there. lol

Good luck!

Random Tip: the best tricep exercise is dips and the best bicep exercise is chin-ups. Dont waste an entire day on your arms.
    Steak and eggs and eggs and steak.

My Training Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158447513

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Hello, I'll try to make this thread as aesthetically pleasing as possible so no one gets bored reading it.

ABOUT ME
    -----------
    I'm 19, 5'7 and weigh 143 lb. My BF % is somewhere around 15-17%.

MY PLAN/GOAL/INTENTION
    --------------------------
    I'm NOT trying to be big and buff AT ALL. I just want to look ripped, if that makes sense.

MY CURRENT PROGRAM
    -----------------------
    I go to the gym 4 days a week.

Day 1: Moderate cardio + Biceps + Triceps
    Day 2: Moderate cardio + Shoulders + Chest
    Day 3: Intense cardio + Back
    Day 4: Moderate cardio + Legs + Abs

MY DIET
    ---------
    I'm generally operating at a calorie deficit of about 200 calories.

Problem is, I barely know anything about anything that has to do with gymmying/bodybuilding/getting lean/ripped/etc. Can someone please shed some light on the subject and tell me how I can improve my current lifestyle and how I can achieve my goals? Also let me know if I missed out any vital information.

Thank you very much!

A quick question, OP; how many people do you see IRL who look like this guy?

No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Thanks to everyone who answered, I'm reading up on the nutrients/diet stuff to see what I can do from now.

To IronWill: not too many, what was your point?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Thanks to everyone who answered, I'm reading up on the nutrients/diet stuff to see what I can do from now.

To IronWill: not too many, what was your point?
    The point is that it takes years of proper nutrition and gut-busting workouts to get to that level; it doesn't happen casually. The fact that you state that "I'm NOT trying to be big and buff AT ALL" indicates you should probably find another hobby.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

rmckenzie711 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmckenzie711 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmckenzie711 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmckenzie711 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmckenzie711 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmckenzie711 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmckenzie711 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmckenzie711 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmckenzie711 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmckenzie711 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmckenzie711 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Your basically skinny fat, if you cut you will look like a starving child thats how skinny you will be. Go on a clean bulk and gain some muscle and strength then go on a cut.
    Anglophone in QUEBEC CREW!

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    The point is that it takes years of proper nutrition and gut-busting workouts to get to that level; it doesn't happen casually. The fact that you state that "I'm NOT trying to be big and buff AT ALL" indicates you should probably find another hobby.
    I think the OP just has a distorted view of what "big and buff" is. He doesn't want to look like Jay Cutler; neither do I. This is fine because neither of us ever will. For whatever reason, a lot of people are under the impression that physiques like those the OP posted aren't "big" and don't require a lot of heavy lifting.

db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) db1b18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Nosepull View Post
    I think the OP just has a distorted view of what "big and buff" is. He doesn't want to look like Jay Cutler; neither do I. This is fine because neither of us ever will. For whatever reason, a lot of people are under the impression that physiques like those the OP posted aren't "big" and don't require a lot of heavy lifting.
    Agree. This is what I tried to drive home with my first sentence.
    Steak and eggs and eggs and steak.

My Training Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158447513