Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Resistance Training and Cardio

I've been working out for the past 6 weeks now. I'm at 20% body fat. My question is this: Can I do BOTH resistance training (to build muscle) while simutaneously doing cardio to lose fat? Or do you have to one or the other, and not both at the same time?

Thanks guys!

Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Johnny10inch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Johnny10inch View Post
    I've been working out for the past 6 weeks now. I'm at 20% body fat. My question is this: Can I do BOTH resistance training (to build muscle) while simutaneously doing cardio to lose fat? Or do you have to one or the other, and not both at the same time?

Thanks guys!
    Bump. Desperate for answers...

TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Yes you can do them both, but I wouldn't recommend doing them simultaneously. When you're lifting weights, it shouldn't be for cardio but at the same time nothing harmful with lifting light with very high rep ranges. Personally however, go for and high-intensity interval training separately but also get in as much heavy compound & isolation exercises when you're hitting free weights. So do both, just maybe not at the same time. Also may help to do your weight session first followed by some cardio but keep it high intensity short bursts.

I run HIIT in the mornings before work for between 20-30 minutes and weights in the evening but the diet is key. MYFITNESSPLANNER helps with tracking your calorie requirements and as you wish to lose weight, you should be on a calorie deficit diet plan.

Originally Posted by Johnny10inch View Post
    Bump. Desperate for answers...

Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nosepull will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You should be lifting weights. You can do cardio if you want to. You should pick whether you want to focus on building muscle or losing fat; which you do is determined by calorie balance.

PS if you are "desperate for answers" you might try reading the forums a bit.
    My running and ICF 5x5 log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153761921

Okay, thanks guys. I'm doing a 5-day split; from Monday to Friday. I want to devote Saturdays and Sundays to cardio. The thing is, I want lose weight, which means I must maintain a calorie deficit. However, at the same time, I want to gain muscle, which would require a calorie surplus. Is there a way the two can work in harmony (i.e. lose fat and gain some muscle)?