romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

CALORIES Needed to BULK -- Please Help Clear the Confustion

How many calories are optimal when bulking?

I weight 150 lbs. What should the multiple be? How many cals per pound of bodyweight should I be eating?!

oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000)
    BW x 18-20

but its just a rouhg estimate.

if i do 20 x my BW (160) i get 3200, but yet my maintenance is 3300. so it varies from person to person.

Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Re: CALORIES Needed to BULK -- Please Help Clear the Confustion

Originally posted by romguy
    How many calories are optimal when bulking?

I weight 150 lbs. What should the multiple be? How many cals per pound of bodyweight should I be eating?!
    150 lbs - 2400-2500 no more.

oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000) oddball182 is just really nice. (+1000)

Re: Re: CALORIES Needed to BULK -- Please Help Clear the Confustion

Originally posted by Aticc674
    150 lbs - 2400-2500 no more.
    how do u come up with thats random number?

when i was 150 pounds i had to eat 3300 calories just to gain .5 pounds a week. remember, everyone is different. if 2500 calories worked for you, then great, but everyone is different.

kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) kmax is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i'm 157 and i can maintain this weight with about 2100 calories.
    I would soon be a blimp with 3300 calories a day.
    Go figure, I guess everyone IS different.

robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Re: Re: Re: CALORIES Needed to BULK -- Please Help Clear the Confustion

Originally posted by oddball182
    how do u come up with thats random number?

when i was 150 pounds i had to eat 3300 calories just to gain .5 pounds a week. remember, everyone is different. if 2500 calories worked for you, then great, but everyone is different.

"gain" 0.5 pounds of what, oddball?

Don't get me wrong. I am in no way trying to be argumentative. Rather, I wish to make sure that romguy and others reading this thread don't eat too many calories ---a very, very common mistake among bodybuilders.

Metabolism is the processing of food-borne nutrients to release their stored chemical energy. Energy is the capacity to perform work --running up stairs, working out, etc. Thus, the more work you perform, the greater will be your 'metabolism', as there will be more need for energy to sustain that work.

Unfortunately, you have to do a LOT of physical work to be able to eat a lot of food and not get fat. I am 6'1" and weigh 208-210 lb. I never eat 3300 calories a day, and I train twice a day for 1 hour at a pop.

I used to train much more --several hours a day (3 or even 5 hours). Even then I would never eat the kind of calories some bodybuilders tell me they consume.

As a bodybuilder, my goal is to stay lean while building muscle. If that is your goal, then I suggest you be very careful about monitoring your total calories. This is what matters most as far as staying lean while building muscle is concerned. Next, make sure those calories come from whole, unprocessed foods.

12 Calories per lb often works out to be more than ample for many bodybuilders trying to build their muscles without covering them in fat at the same time. Granted, this is only a ball-park estimate, but it frequently works out to be a good one.

Very respectfully,
    Rob

tweeter37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweeter37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweeter37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweeter37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweeter37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweeter37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweeter37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweeter37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweeter37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweeter37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweeter37 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm 6'0" 215lbs at about 12%bf, and I decided to bulk some more and took the suggestion of going up to 3500cals a day and gained alot of fat. I think alot of people mistake the fact (as I did) that most people don't need extremely high calories to gain muscle. Sure, I did put on some muscle, but IMO, it's almost not worth it when you're too ashamed to take your shirt off to show off the new gains. I would suggest bulking very slowly and stay relatively lean.

romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) romguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Well,

I'm a little confused. I guess what it comes down to is what works for you and you only...

I was told that if you want to lose body-fat, eat around 10-12 x your body weight.

So 12 might be on the low-end for me..

But if others suggest to bulk up slowly and see how it goes, whats a good benchmark to start at.

What multiple times my bodyweight.

robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by tweeter37
    I'm 6'0" 215lbs at about 12%bf, and I decided to bulk some more and took the suggestion of going up to 3500cals a day and gained alot of fat. I think alot of people mistake the fact (as I did) that most people don't need extremely high calories to gain muscle. Sure, I did put on some muscle, but IMO, it's almost not worth it when you're too ashamed to take your shirt off to show off the new gains. I would suggest bulking very slowly and stay relatively lean.

That's one of the most sensible (and thus, helpful) posts I've seen on this subject in a while.

Romguy: If you don't care too much about how you look in the mirror as you 'bulk up', then try 15 kcal (Calories) per lb and if you think you are getting too fat, then cut back.

Best,
    Rob

Originally posted by robertthoburn
    That's one of the most sensible (and thus, helpful) posts I've seen on this subject in a while.

Romguy: If you don't care too much about how you look in the mirror as you 'bulk up', then try 15 kcal (Calories) per lb and if you think you are getting too fat, then cut back.

Best,
    Rob
    Now that I think about it, I'm going back to a cutting diet. If you don't like what you see in the mirror, then its probably not good to bulk to begin with. I'm only 5'9", 150 lbs and there is still a good amount of fat on me that I would like to get rid of. I'm going to be eating at 10-11 x bodyweight. How does that sound?

Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aticc674 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by romguy
    Well,

I'm a little confused. I guess what it comes down to is what works for you and you only...

I was told that if you want to lose body-fat, eat around 10-12 x your body weight.

So 12 might be on the low-end for me..

But if others suggest to bulk up slowly and see how it goes, whats a good benchmark to start at.

What multiple times my bodyweight.
    Hey make it easy on yourself. Ditch the idea of a bulking cycle. As Rob pointed out extra calories are like a plague among our bodybuilders. A good way to find out your calorie need is to bump your calories 500 beyond maintenace level. Even with only 500 calories extra you should train with intensity(5-7 reps with overload - 5-6 sets per body part). Recalculate your calories every three weeks. If you do this right you should see excellent gains -good luck

ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    12-15x LBM is what your basal metabolic rate should be. not everyone is the same so playing with it helps. once you've found your caloric needs for your bmr, this is keeping the same caloric intake for a length of time and maintaining the same weight. now once you've found that manipulate it by increments of 300 cals a day in either direction depending upon what your goals happen to be

Incentive PT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Calories needed for bulking is very much individual. Obviously if you arent gaining on your current diet, you will need to increase your clean caloric intake (assuming you are training correctly).

Try gradually increasing calories weekly, by about 300 pw until you start to gain. This is better than increasing by 1000 calories and gaining excess fat.

Here is some basic bulking info

http://www.personal-training.com.au/...asp?FORUM_ID=5

click on "Bulking Tips"

Good Luck

James
    Incentive Personal Training
    www.personal-training.com.au

click on my "www"

Loaded_Pistol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    edit

Loaded_Pistol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it's almost not worth it when you're too ashamed to take your shirt off to show off the new gains. I would suggest bulking very slowly and stay relatively lean

that is so true dude,
    I've been there and it was not a pleasant sight to see, NEVER again will i go through such extreme in bulking and overeating...

iamchris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Loaded_Pistol
    it's almost not worth it when you're too ashamed to take your shirt off to show off the new gains. I would suggest bulking very slowly and stay relatively lean
    What about when you're on a PH cycle? Is moderate increasing of calories appropriate then?
    A) Thank-you for your responses or help
    B) Hope this helps a little, good-luck
    C) Um, well... my dick is bigger than yours! ;D

Chris