rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Shoulder press: front, behind, above?

I see em all at my gym. Guys that load the bar up and only move it up and down four inches above their head. Guys that do it behind the head and ones that do it in front. I try to bring it all the way down to to the top of my chest/ collar bone. Couple of questions; Is it harmful to the neck to do it behind the head? Is it hard on the rotator cuffs to bring the bar all the way down to the chest?

Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Malfurion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    The answer to both of your questions is 'not if you do it correctly', although it's easier to mess up behind the neck.

heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) heinstein has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I prefer in front because I am stronger that way.

I also don't do incline bench so this hits my upper chest more.
    Follow my quest for 100,000 pull ups this year

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asj9kQZoAthCdEwyN3JWdEE3cFdnOC1YcTRZR01kVVE#gid=0

Registered User miamibodybuilder's Avatar
    miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    the answers to your questions are very simple. if you're not using proper form and you're going too heavy on those exercises, then yes it could be harmful to your neck and rotator cuffs. but if you maintain strict form at all times then you shouldnt have a problem. next answer to your question, i love doing those behind the neck presses nice and somewhat heavy, i like to set the bench to where i dont have to strain my neck to lower the bar, so it's really far up, and it's been working very well for me lately. next, for the front presses, i wouldnt go that low because i think if you go that low you'll start using more tri's to get the weight moving up. thats just my opinion, i like to go right below my chin.
    NGA Natural bodybuilder
    AAEFX Board Rep
    Team Natural Freak

rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rupp0003 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by miamibodybuilder View Post
    the answers to your questions are very simple. if you're not using proper form and you're going too heavy on those exercises, then yes it could be harmful to your neck and rotator cuffs. but if you maintain strict form at all times then you shouldnt have a problem. next answer to your question, i love doing those behind the neck presses nice and somewhat heavy, i like to set the bench to where i dont have to strain my neck to lower the bar, so it's really far up, and it's been working very well for me lately. next, for the front presses, i wouldnt go that low because i think if you go that low you'll start using more tri's to get the weight moving up. thats just my opinion, i like to go right below my chin.
    K thanks for the input. I'm somewhat prone to neck injury so I think I'll proly stick with bar in front or maybe give some real light behind the head lifts a go.....

I Do It On My Own xxsupergman25xx's Avatar
    xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000)
    for sports i dont recommend anything barbell. as for bodybuilding/aesthetics, i have a buddy who has done behind the neck for years now and he has never had any problems. like mentioned earlier, if its done properly its fine. its actually not horrible to switch up between the 3 occasionally.
    http://forms.aweber.com/form/85/1635053985.htm - Newsletter!

Posts are my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.
    -----------------------------------
    Baseball insane

-----------------------------------
    i do it all on my own