Kraster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kraster has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Order of exercises: all of one muscle group together or mixed up?

Philosophical question: Say you're doing a mixed split like Back+Tris one day and Chest+Bis+Shoulder another one. Say also for example on the shoulder day, you have like 2 chest exercises and 2-3 shoulder exercises. Would you do all the chest exercises all back to back and then move unto all the shoulder exercises, or would you mixed up the exercise order so it's like chest - shoulder - chest - shoulder so muscles can get a pause and have more power? I mean yeah I get that all chest exercises also kinda work the shoulder but I think you get the gist of the question

as I see it, training one muscle group exercises back to back would basically sorta up the intensity of the workout for that muscle and might cause more hypertrophy (that's the reason why we're just taking 60 second rest between sets when we train for hypertrophy, right?) but at the cost of maybe being able to not go balls out on the consequent exercises

Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000) Kcabo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    To one of your points: rest times have minimal/negligible effect on hypertrophy. There are studies showing no difference in hypertrophy while operating under varying rest times. Rest times are a good way to increase the intensity of your workout and just another method of progressively overloading on your lifts. Keeping rest times consistent is a good way to see if you're actually improving on the lift and not just waiting longer than the previous workout. The important thing is progression.

To your example, it depends on the exercises really. Anterior delts get hit very hard during all pressing exercises so I'd never perform multiple anterior delt exercises after a couple chest exercises. To answer your question though it depends on the muscles/exercises following each. I wouldn't perform bicep curls before trying to perform pull-ups, nor would I train tris before hitting chest (Presses). However, if it were an "arms" day I would alternate between bi's and tris.

Also, the limiting factor in presses is the anterior delt, so I would not try to fatigue this muscle too much prior to training chest.
    Last edited by Kcabo; 11-17-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    The more I eat and the heavier I train - the better my 'genetics' get.

Penn State Alumni Crew

Registered User miamibodybuilder's Avatar
    miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    i think that is a matter of preference to be quite honest with you. if i was doing chest and shoulders one day, which i have done in the past, i would definitely do a chest exercise, then hit a shoulder exercise right after to up the intensity level. but thats just me and how i would do it. you can try both ways and see which way works for you. or just alternate weekly to keep things fresh and interesting big man.
    NGA Natural bodybuilder
    AAEFX Board Rep
    Team Natural Freak

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'll generally switch back and forth, but I also orient my bodypart split to avoid running into such issues.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

godfrey11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) godfrey11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) godfrey11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) godfrey11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) godfrey11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) godfrey11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) godfrey11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) godfrey11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) godfrey11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) godfrey11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) godfrey11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I go back and forth, mainly because I hate sitting for 1-2 minutes resting. So one chest exercise, then one shoulder, then chest, tri's etc..