WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000)

Starting Strength vs Stronglifts for beginner-intermediate

Hey guys. I've been dedicating myself to a 6-day legs/pull/push split thus far, and this is proving too much for me. I've been doing some research into it, and it seems starting strength/Stronglifts both seem to offer great results at only 3-4 days a week of training.

The thing is I'm not what you'd call a complete beginner. These are my 1RM in the following lifts.

Bench Press: 80kg (176 pounds)
    OHP: 50kg (110 pounds)
    Deadlift: 135kg (300 pounds)
    Squat: 115kg (250 pounds)

I myself weigh 76kg (167 pounds)

Over my 6 months of lifting so far, these are the 1RM I've come to attain. So I already have something of a decent foundation of muscle/strength to build up on.

Thing is, I'd like to venture into more than just the strength-training fundamentals offered by the programmes. I'd like to to incorporate some aesthetic bodybuilding work where necessary. Particularly for forearms/core/upper chest/traps/biceps. If I add 2-3 'sets of 8'-style bodybuilding sets at the end of each workout, will it completely screw things up? If so, then what's the minimum I can add without turning the programme to complete ****? Which of the two programme allows for more flexibility when it comes to being able to incorporate your own desired exercises?

Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by WintryRaven View Post
    Hey guys. I've been dedicating myself to a 6-day legs/pull/push split thus far, and this is proving too much for me. I've been doing some research into it, and it seems starting strength/Stronglifts both seem to offer great results at only 3-4 days a week of training.

The thing is I'm not what you'd call a complete beginner. These are my 1RM in the following lifts.

Bench Press: 80kg (176 pounds)
    OHP: 50kg (110 pounds)
    Deadlift: 135kg (300 pounds)
    Squat: 115kg (250 pounds)

I myself weigh 76kg (167 pounds)

Over my 6 months of lifting so far, these are the 1RM I've come to attain. So I already have something of a decent foundation of muscle/strength to build up on.

Thing is, I'd like to venture into more than just the strength-training fundamentals offered by the programmes. I'd like to to incorporate some aesthetic bodybuilding work where necessary. Particularly for forearms/core/upper chest/traps/biceps. If I add 2-3 'sets of 8'-style bodybuilding sets at the end of each workout, will it completely screw things up? If so, then what's the minimum I can add without turning the programme to complete ****? Which of the two programme allows for more flexibility when it comes to being able to incorporate your own desired exercises?
    You shouldn't do either one now. You're outside the novice realm. Instead of doing pplpplrest do pplrestpplrest

WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000) WintryRaven is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Krugg View Post
    You shouldn't do either one now. You're outside the novice realm. Instead of doing pplpplrest do pplrestpplrest
    I don't know what that means

Thing is, I'm being limited to up to only 4 workouts per week because of recent changes to my irl schedule. I want to be able to follow a programme that continues to offer steady strength gains, as well as allow for some bodybuilding work on the side. SS/SL seem to fit the bill fairly well, and apparently they've been used by even intermediates to really high lifts.

Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Krugg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I don't know what that means

Thing is, I'm being limited to up to only 4 workouts per week because of recent changes to my irl schedule. I want to be able to follow a programme that continues to offer steady strength gains, as well as allow for some bodybuilding work on the side. SS/SL seem to fit the bill fairly well, and apparently they've been used by even intermediates to really high lifts.
    Sorry I meant do legs push pull rest legs push pull rest instead of legs push pull legs push pull rest. Again I doubt you'll progress on SS/SL. You can do an upper/lower rest upper/lower rest rest.

Sorry I meant do legs push pull rest legs push pull rest instead of legs push pull legs push pull rest. Again I doubt you'll progress on SS/SL. You can do an upper/lower rest upper/lower rest rest.
    Do you think 531 with bodybuilding assistance would work then?

xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Do you think 531 with bodybuilding assistance would work then?
    I have found 5/3/1 BBB to be very effective. My stats and lifts are similar to yours (you're stronger), and although I'm sure 5x5 would have been beneficial to me due to the faster rate of strength progression I wanted something fun. Ironically it's called Big But Boring, but I find it anything but boring!
    "Get up, and don't ever give up".

armyguy.88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armyguy.88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armyguy.88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armyguy.88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armyguy.88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armyguy.88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armyguy.88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armyguy.88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armyguy.88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armyguy.88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) armyguy.88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Are you high? No offense to the OP but those lifts at his body weight are nowhere near outside of being "novice".

OP, if you are making progression with SS then stick with it until you can't progress anymore, make sure you're eating a ouch and the size for the rest of your body will come with the strength.
    eat, train, sleep, eat, train, sleep, eat, train, sleep

"If you want to be world class you must first act world class." - Travis Ortmayer

Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by armyguy.88 View Post
    Are you high? No offense to the OP but those lifts at his body weight are nowhere near outside of being "novice".

OP, if you are making progression with SS then stick with it until you can't progress anymore, make sure you're eating a ouch and the size for the rest of your body will come with the strength.
    This. You can still make great gains on SL5x5 or SS, or any other beginner/novice program out there.
    Any post I make should not be taken seriously.

headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Cranz View Post
    This. You can still make great gains on SL5x5 or SS, or any other beginner/novice program out there.
    Yea, no, you're still a novice. You will be until you're squatting 315, benching at least 225. That said, don't get hung up on titles. I'd been lifting 9 years or so, and jumped on starting strength, my numbrrs at the time were bp-280, sq-315ish, dl-?. I benefited, tremendous ly from Stronglifts, simply because it was a different training stimulus. Getting on either of these (they are both variants of the same thing), will help you build your strength base. Give yourself another year or so.
    "Don't fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts, it is glorious, even to fail."-Bruce Lee
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current/Goals
    Bench-340x1/405x1
    Deadlift-450x1/500x1
    Squat-420x1/500x1

SmallCap is just really nice. (+1000) SmallCap is just really nice. (+1000) SmallCap is just really nice. (+1000) SmallCap is just really nice. (+1000) SmallCap is just really nice. (+1000) SmallCap is just really nice. (+1000) SmallCap is just really nice. (+1000) SmallCap is just really nice. (+1000) SmallCap is just really nice. (+1000) SmallCap is just really nice. (+1000) SmallCap is just really nice. (+1000)
    Doesn't matter if you're a 'novice' or not, stick with the simplest progression scheme that will give you results.