AdamKenny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamKenny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamKenny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamKenny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamKenny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamKenny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Front Squats replacement for Back Squats

I was wondering what you guys have to say on the topic. Everytime I squat I do back squat but it's always been very sore for my hips and I feel very uncomfortable with the form. However every time I've done front squats I feel great doing them, no pain and I can get great depth. So would you say I could replace front squats for back squats?
    You can check out my fitness videos here: www.youtube.com/AdamKennyFitness

Goals
    Bench Press - 105 KG x1
    Deadlift - 200 KG x1
    Squat - 165 KG x1

Current Personal Records:
    Bench Press - 82.5KG x 6
    Deadlift - 166KG x 5
    Squat - 120KG x 6

CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500)
    If front squats give you no hip pain but back squats do, then consider narrowing your stance in the back squat.

You should do both imo regardless of goals.
    My log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154949233

AdamKenny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamKenny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamKenny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamKenny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamKenny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamKenny has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by CupcakeSquats View Post
    If front squats give you no hip pain but back squats do, then consider narrowing your stance in the back squat.

You should do both imo regardless of goals.
    You don't think it would be wise to completely get rid of back squats? Yeah I've tried narrow stance but I always fell very unbalanced

Goals
    Bench Press - 105 KG x1
    Deadlift - 200 KG x1
    Squat - 165 KG x1

Bench Press - 82.5KG x 6
    Deadlift - 166KG x 5
    Squat - 120KG x 6

CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by AdamKenny View Post
    You don't think it would be wise to completely get rid of back squats? Yeah I've tried narrow stance but I always fell very unbalanced
    Nope, not at all. Where are you unbalanced? The bottom? The ascent? The descent? Do you have a video? It could be your set-up, as in you don't set up tight enough. It could be your mobility, narrower stance requires more ankle mobility that a lot of people lack. It could be some weaker stabilizer, in which case the only thing to do is keep squatting.

Nope, not at all. Where are you unbalanced? The bottom? The ascent? The descent? Do you have a video? It could be your set-up, as in you don't set up tight enough. It could be your mobility, narrower stance requires more ankle mobility that a lot of people lack. It could be some weaker stabilizer, in which case the only thing to do is keep squatting.
    Descent is generally ok is mostly the bottom and ascending out of the bottom I fell like I'm gonna fall back. That's why I started doing a wider stance but then because of that I get hip pain. I suppose I am just trying to pussy out of back squats and I should just work on my form and all. I just always preferred front squats from the first time I done them

Goals
    Bench Press - 105 KG x1
    Deadlift - 200 KG x1
    Squat - 165 KG x1

Bench Press - 82.5KG x 6
    Deadlift - 166KG x 5
    Squat - 120KG x 6

Originally Posted by AdamKenny View Post
    Descent is generally ok is mostly the bottom and ascending out of the bottom I fell like I'm gonna fall back. That's why I started doing a wider stance but then because of that I get hip pain. I suppose I am just trying to pussy out of back squats and I should just work on my form and all. I just always preferred front squats from the first time I done them
    Just my .02 but it's probably because you're sitting back too far. "Sitting back" is more for geared lifters. Their gear pushes them forward so they have no choice but to sit back as far as possible so they don't die. A raw lifter should just drop more or less straight down imo.

What you could do is make heavy front squats your main movement and back squats as a lighter accessory if you so choose, assuming that you're not interested in powerlifting.

ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just quit being lazy and do some mobility work.
    You can't force knowledge into a dumbass any more than you can force sight into a blind man.

When the world breaks your legs you go and beat it with your crutch.

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Just my .02 but it's probably because you're sitting back too far. "Sitting back" is more for geared lifters. Their gear pushes them forward so they have no choice but to sit back as far as possible so they don't die. A raw lifter should just drop more or less straight down imo.

What you could do is make heavy front squats your main movement and back squats as a lighter accessory if you so choose, assuming that you're not interested in powerlifting.
    It probably could be that, I'll have to video myself and watch how far I sit back. That's true I could do that. Thing is I'm not really sure where I want to take my lifting, either in the powerlifting or bb direction. So I suppose if I want to do powerlifting later on fixing my back squat would be a must haha

Goals
    Bench Press - 105 KG x1
    Deadlift - 200 KG x1
    Squat - 165 KG x1

Bench Press - 82.5KG x 6
    Deadlift - 166KG x 5
    Squat - 120KG x 6

Registered User miamibodybuilder's Avatar
    miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    i remember dorian yates once said that not all exercises are made for everyone, and i think this is very true. i think every persons genetic make-up and bone structure is different in some way, otherwise we'd all look the same right. so i agree with that statement in that i believe there are some exercises that are just not meant to be done by certain people. for example, you feel more comfortable and get better results with the front squats, but maybe your buddy is the opposite, ok thats fine. you do front squats and he does back squats then. dont force your body to do something it doesnt feel right doing. take me for example, every single time i do deads or quarter deads, my lower back, hips, knees and ankle joints KILL me the next couple days. and i mean excruciating pain. i forced myself to do them for a very long time, but the day came when i just couldnt any more. since then, no pain at all and i still think i get great back development from my rows and pulldowns.
    NGA Natural bodybuilder
    AAEFX Board Rep
    Team Natural Freak

Originally Posted by miamibodybuilder View Post
    i remember dorian yates once said that not all exercises are made for everyone, and i think this is very true. i think every persons genetic make-up and bone structure is different in some way, otherwise we'd all look the same right. so i agree with that statement in that i believe there are some exercises that are just not meant to be done by certain people. for example, you feel more comfortable and get better results with the front squats, but maybe your buddy is the opposite, ok thats fine. you do front squats and he does back squats then. dont force your body to do something it doesnt feel right doing. take me for example, every single time i do deads or quarter deads, my lower back, hips, knees and ankle joints KILL me the next couple days. and i mean excruciating pain. i forced myself to do them for a very long time, but the day came when i just couldnt any more. since then, no pain at all and i still think i get great back development from my rows and pulldowns.
    Well you still look great in your picture there so the alternate exercises are still working for you. yeah i dont want to cause myself any unnecessary pain if i can just do a work around exercise

Goals
    Bench Press - 105 KG x1
    Deadlift - 200 KG x1
    Squat - 165 KG x1

Bench Press - 82.5KG x 6
    Deadlift - 166KG x 5
    Squat - 120KG x 6

BruteMutant is just really nice. (+1000) BruteMutant is just really nice. (+1000) BruteMutant is just really nice. (+1000) BruteMutant is just really nice. (+1000) BruteMutant is just really nice. (+1000) BruteMutant is just really nice. (+1000) BruteMutant is just really nice. (+1000) BruteMutant is just really nice. (+1000) BruteMutant is just really nice. (+1000) BruteMutant is just really nice. (+1000) BruteMutant is just really nice. (+1000)
    They stress different muscles... neither has importance over the other. DO BOTH!
    Bench Press - 225 x 41; 275 x 30
    Squat - 315 x 39
    Dead - 725
    no belts straps wraps or suits

TWITTER: Twitter.com/IMLAdrenolin
    InstaGRAM: InstaGRAM.com/Adrenolin_of_IronMagLabs

IMLAdrenolin@gmail.com
    Personal Training, Cycle Advice, Dieting Tips
    Whatever the question, I'll assist the best I can!