mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Is it OK to do intense cardio and weight lifting on the same day?

I'm 18 and relatively skinny, considering I'm 1.90m tall and weigh 84kg (sorry, meters and kilograms here). Because of that, and after some practice, I can endure about an hour of high intensity cardio (Insanity). Then after 30-60 minutes of rest, I go to the gym and do my usual weight lifting routine. I perform both at my full potential, always trying not to falter at either.

But the doctor said doing both on the same day is not recommendable, can't quite remember or even think of why that would be. So my question is: does doing both activities on the same day slow down either one of the processes, whether it's muscle building or losing fat?

Thanks.

Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by mauridaher View Post
    I'm 18 and relatively skinny, considering I'm 1.90m tall and weigh 84kg (sorry, meters and kilograms here). Because of that, and after some practice, I can endure about an hour of high intensity cardio (Insanity). Then after 30-60 minutes of rest, I go to the gym and do my usual weight lifting routine. I perform both at my full potential, always trying not to falter at either.

But the doctor said doing both on the same day is not recommendable, can't quite remember or even think of why that would be. So my question is: does doing both activities on the same day slow down either one of the processes, whether it's muscle building or losing fat?

Thanks.
    Why exactly are you doing both in the same day?

yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Whats your goal?
    Certified Personal Trainer
    ~American Council on Exercise

"The Newest Version of the Old Me"

cebu313 is not very well liked. (-100) cebu313 is not very well liked. (-100) cebu313 is not very well liked. (-100) cebu313 is not very well liked. (-100) cebu313 is not very well liked. (-100) cebu313 is not very well liked. (-100) cebu313 is not very well liked. (-100) cebu313 is not very well liked. (-100) cebu313 is not very well liked. (-100) cebu313 is not very well liked. (-100) cebu313 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Depends on your goal, If your goal is to get more muscular do your lifting first. You'll end up using your glycogen stores during your lifting instead of the cardio and therefore you'll be able to have a better lift session. But if you want to get leaner then do the opposite.

Edit: I believe it's perfectly fine to do what you're doing

yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000) yuncker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by cebu313 View Post
    Depends on your goal, If your goal is to get more muscular do your lifting first. You'll end up using your glycogen stores during your lifting instead of the cardio and therefore you'll be able to have a better lift session. But if you want to get leaner then do the opposite.

^this

duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500)

Thanks.
    It is unclear how you would respond genetically. You need to try both ways to see what would happen. Chances are if they seem right to you however they likely will work for you because generally things that are appealing at some level also fit with the person's genetics(dont doubt yourself).

So the doctor said not to do both on the same day? For what reason? Keep in mind that doctors are generally fueled by studies and what is called evidence based medicine(ie, the individual response isnt important, just the group, and hence the $$ fueling the procedure and the payoff). Not all doctors are intelligent. Intelligent enough to get through medical school and to not screw up often enough to get banned, but that isnt saying much. Keep in mind that doctors that perform lasik eye surgery have screwed up thousands of lives, often permanently due to an oversight by the FDA is approving Lasik eye surgery. So listen to your doctor, but your doctor isnt God Himself.

There is research saying that aerobic training may inhibit force production. And yes that amount of cardiovascular exercise would deplete glucose and muscle glycogen. How much it would reduce force production, if at all, not sure. In any event, doing all that work would definitely improve your health and so it is worth it, you need to try doing weights alone to see what would happen.

mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauridaher has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Ozieman3o5 View Post
    Why exactly are you doing both in the same day?
    Firstly, there's the fact that I know that (for me) Insanity works and has worked for me in the past, so it's kind of a priority to me. And I've really gotten into building muscle so I don't wanna lose either of these activities. And both of them require a 6-day routine.

Secondly, my basic logic tells me that it can only be good for me to do both cardio and lifting on the same day, six days a week. That is, always making sure I don't have a heart attack in the process.

Originally Posted by duck1dong View Post
    It is unclear how you would respond genetically. You need to try both ways to see what would happen. Chances are if they seem right to you however they likely will work for you because generally things that are appealing at some level also fit with the person's genetics(dont doubt yourself).

So the doctor said not to do both on the same day? For what reason? Keep in mind that doctors are generally fueled by studies and what is called evidence based medicine(ie, the individual response isnt important, just the group, and hence the $$ fueling the procedure and the payoff). Not all doctors are intelligent. Intelligent enough to get through medical school and to not screw up often enough to get banned, but that isnt saying much. Keep in mind that doctors that perform lasik eye surgery have screwed up thousands of lives, often permanently due to an oversight by the FDA is approving Lasik eye surgery. So listen to your doctor, but your doctor isnt God Himself.

There is research saying that aerobic training may inhibit force production. And yes that amount of cardiovascular exercise would deplete glucose and muscle glycogen. How much it would reduce force production, if at all, not sure. In any event, doing all that work would definitely improve your health and so it is worth it, you need to try doing weights alone to see what would happen.
    I know. It's the same doctor that when I was 13 told me that if I lifted weights, I wouldn't grow. Yet I'm almost 6.3ft tall now. So that's why this had me doubting, since I believe I can do both just fine.

Originally Posted by cebu313 View Post

My goal is to build muscle and lose body fat, while keeping it natural if possible (I plan on trying whey protein when my hormones get their sh*t together). But I would say that getting leaner is my priority.

Thank you guys!

CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500)
    Tough to say, it depends on you, but for most people, performance will drop in one or the other. If you end up doing intense cardio first, you won't perform as well in the weight room. If you lift first, you won't do as well in your cardio. Worst case, you end up sucking at both.
    My log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154949233

I have to say I've tried both (Cardio -> Lifting) and (Lifting -> Cardio), and I've noticed I'm clearly much more exhausted when I do cardio before lifting, I feel weaker and can lift a bit less. When it's the other way round though, it works just fine.

Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100) Ozieman3o5 is not very well liked. (-100)
    My goal is to build muscle and lose body fat, while keeping it natural if possible (I plan on trying whey protein when my hormones get their sh*t together). But I would say that getting leaner is my priority.

Thank you guys!
    You do know you can't do both at the same time no matter how much cardio you do, building muscle requires a surplus while losing fat requires a deficit.

Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Huzy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    so doctor gave you a professional advice based on you and your body and you came on this forum asking these noobs is it ok ?
    whyy
    With you by my side there's nothing I still fear,
    And now you're dead and gone I'll shed more than a tear.
    Because I know you were my inspiration, an angel without wings
    Ascending to the sky, forever you're my king.

Registered User miamibodybuilder's Avatar
    miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    honestly i'm not quite sure why the doctor would say that because i personally do them both on the same day without any problem whatsoever. i do my regular weight training session and then go and hit the stairmaster for 15-20 mins of hiit cardio and then 10 more mins on the stepper. and i'm a 34yr old natural bodybuilder weighing over 200lbs. i do the hiit cardio 2-3 times a week, the other days i like to do steady state cardio. but honestly if you're quite skinny and trying to gain a good amount of muscle, go easy on the cardio and focus on getting in your calories daily and continue to train hard and heavy.
    NGA Natural bodybuilder
    AAEFX Board Rep
    Team Natural Freak

Gooning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gooning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gooning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gooning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gooning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gooning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gooning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gooning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gooning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gooning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gooning will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As long as you eat enough and stretch I really don't see a problem.

Originally Posted by Huzy View Post
    so doctor gave you a professional advice based on you and your body and you came on this forum asking these noobs is it ok ?
    whyy
    Please tell me your not calling people on here noobs.. look at you..

LucasMoyano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LucasMoyano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LucasMoyano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LucasMoyano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LucasMoyano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LucasMoyano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LucasMoyano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LucasMoyano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LucasMoyano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LucasMoyano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LucasMoyano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well i do both. But i don't do cardio the same day of legs and two days after

BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BB2K has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thanks.
    i wouldnt do much cardio. if weight gain is the goal.

XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's fine. Only advice I would give is not to do cardio on Leg Day.

Originally Posted by Huzy View Post
    whyy
    First of all, he's not exactly MY doctor, in that he doesn't quite know me or my entire medical history, and that was about a year ago. He just expressed what he believed, I think. In that case, yes, I do prefer to ask the people who actually know more about the subject, and might even be professionals in this. I'm sure they are more instructed in the whole bodybuilding thing, than the run-of-the-mill pediatrician (I don't mean to discredit the knowledge or work of doctors).

So noobs? Don't think so.

Originally Posted by XCRunner9 View Post
    It's fine. Only advice I would give is not to do cardio on Leg Day.
    That may be something I need to change. It is quite exhausting to work out legs and then do about half an hour of squats, can't be good.

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    1. Doctors aren't workout experts.
    2. It's fine, just make sure you're eating enough.

InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Do it if you thrive on it, bro. Even if you end up wiped out wanting to lay in bed for days on end..eventually, you'll be able to handle it. And more.
    Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/user/bkbrawla666/videos

InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000) InfiniteExcel is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ErikTheElectric View Post
    1. Doctors aren't workout experts.
    2. It's fine, just make sure you're eating enough.
    This.

+ doctors are very careful with the advice they give/the things they recommend. Their job is to over-see your health, this is what they have been entrusted with. Their recommendations can come with much greater consequences than that of yours or mine.
    Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/user/bkbrawla666/videos

This cleared things up! Thanks guys!