TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Huge problem with going off my diet --- advice/help please!

I started working at a restaurant about a year and a half ago, and since, I've weighed more than I ever have before. I'm 5ft7.5in and weigh about 149-150 now; I came down from 155 (the highest point) about a month ago. I want to get back to my normal 140 and further get down to 135. Before working here, I was on top of it.

Here's my problem. I arrive at work about 5pm every night and am not done until after 10 or 11pm. I have absolutely no time to eat -even using the restroom is a risk- because there is always something that needs to be done. I've tried bringing my little lunch cooler/bag with a shake in it, cashews, string cheese, etc but I frequently cannot get to it and it ends up just sitting and going bad. This is usually about 6 hours without food. Now, at the end of these shifts, I am just so tired and hungry/starved. For one, I shouldn't even be eating so late (10:30-11 at night). Two, I'm so hungry and tired at that point that I just say "screw it!" and I buy myself something from the restaurant which is, of course, high in calories, sodium and sat fats. And of course, every item is 800-1000 calories. Or I stop by 7 eleven and get candy and/or chips. It's the most challenging situation to me. My diet is usually spot on until work. My days look excellent when I don't have work.

Work is really screwing me up. Could someone please share some advice?

TaiRae has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaiRae has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaiRae has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaiRae has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaiRae has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaiRae has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaiRae has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaiRae has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaiRae has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's a tough situation: / I know the restaurant industry can be the hardest to work and you're there for the dinner rush to boot! I'd Maybe try something you can fit into your pocket just to curb the craving, Maybe like a granola bar or something. Then immediately at the end of your shift eat your pre packaged meal. Are you eating a lot through the day before work?

TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by TaiRae View Post
    That's a tough situation: / I know the restaurant industry can be the hardest to work and you're there for the dinner rush to boot! I'd Maybe try something you can fit into your pocket just to curb the craving, Maybe like a granola bar or something. Then immediately at the end of your shift eat your pre packaged meal. Are you eating a lot through the day before work?
    Thanks for reply. Through the day, I'm eating about every two hours. I miss two meals while at work.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Why not just eat the food that you brought that you didn't have time to eat?

And meal frequency doesn't matter. Why not eat a bigger meal before work so you won't "go hungry".
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You're only working for 5-6 hours at a time, I'm really not understanding why you can't eat right before and then again right after work?
    Dilemma solved

nute11a will become famous soon enough. (+50) nute11a will become famous soon enough. (+50) nute11a will become famous soon enough. (+50) nute11a will become famous soon enough. (+50) nute11a will become famous soon enough. (+50) nute11a will become famous soon enough. (+50) nute11a will become famous soon enough. (+50) nute11a will become famous soon enough. (+50) nute11a will become famous soon enough. (+50) nute11a will become famous soon enough. (+50) nute11a will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why are you posting this twice? You aren't hearing the answers you want? No one is going to help your level of discipline except yourself. Pack your lunch or eat before work and don't eat anything until you get home.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TrainBetter View Post
    Thanks for reply. Through the day, I'm eating about every two hours. I miss two meals while at work.
    But why??? Eating every two hours doesnt do anything for your body, there is no need to "miss' two meals. Eat before and then after your work, make these two meals a bit bigger so you are not "starving" when you leave work and more apt to grab off plan food. Take a protein shake, i can chug mine in about 30 seconds, about half way through work and problem solved.

If the timing of the meals is throwing you off, then find what works for you. You do not have to eat 5 or 6 meals timed at every 2 hours.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10) BennettC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    look man i can relate. ive worked food and bevarage for 5 years now. it sucks and i hate it but it is what it is.

just realize life isnt perfect and everything doesn't have to be timed perfectly. also realize that this isnt the time to get shredded, the biggest one ive stuggled with

this is what works for me, its not my optimal diet but it works given the situation:
    i find im not very hungry on a low carb diet that high protein and also high fat. realize your food takes a while to actually digest

i work dinner shift so this is how i do my meals:
    pretty good size breakfast before i train- like 4 XL eggs 8oz hamburger or pork chop with 1/2 cup cottage cheese
    2:30 (need to leave for work at 3:30 so this is *dinner*) huge steak around 1lb or half a rotisserie chicken w/ some kind of carb (usually potato/yam) and veggies
    when I get home: 1 cup greek yogurt or something of that nature

it sucks to eat dinner at 2:30 in the afternoon but it is what it is man. embrace your situation

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    For one, I shouldn't even be eating so late (10:30-11 at night).
    There are plenty of people on this planet (myself included) who happen to work nights and eat through the night.

Hitting your daily calories is all the matters...makes no difference how you get there.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Originally Posted by nute11a View Post
    Why are you posting this twice? You aren't hearing the answers you want? No one is going to help your level of discipline except yourself. Pack your lunch or eat before work and don't eat anything until you get home.

I posted in another section because I didn't get an answer in here until a couple hours later; I thought it was just dead.

Not trying to piss you off...

Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    look man i can relate. ive worked food and bevarage for 5 years now. it sucks and i hate it but it is what it is.

just realize life isnt perfect and everything doesn't have to be timed perfectly. also realize that this isnt the time to get shredded, the biggest one ive stuggled with

this is what works for me, its not my optimal diet but it works given the situation:
    i find im not very hungry on a low carb diet that high protein and also high fat. realize your food takes a while to actually digest

i work dinner shift so this is how i do my meals:
    pretty good size breakfast before i train- like 4 XL eggs 8oz hamburger or pork chop with 1/2 cup cottage cheese
    2:30 (need to leave for work at 3:30 so this is *dinner*) huge steak around 1lb or half a rotisserie chicken w/ some kind of carb (usually potato/yam) and veggies
    when I get home: 1 cup greek yogurt or something of that nature

it sucks to eat dinner at 2:30 in the afternoon but it is what it is man. embrace your situation
    Thanks for the sincere answer Bennett.

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The other thread you created had a lot of good info, even if you did not like it.

Meal timing should be a matter of choice. There is absolutely no advantage to eating more often through-out the day.

You have quite a few people tell you the same thing, yet you seem to want to struggle against them and insist that it matters. Why?

CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CathyVee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    The other thread you created had a lot of good info, even if you did not like it.

Meal timing should be a matter of choice. There is absolutely no advantage to eating more often through-out the day.

You have quite a few people tell you the same thing, yet you seem to want to struggle against them and insist that it matters. Why?
    I found the thread, it's pretty entertaining:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=158190093
    My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140511571

ProMera Pump Extreme Log with IrishLassie78: COMPLETED

*TEAM AMAZON* -- Sisterhood of Iron

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by CathyVee View Post
    I found the thread, it's pretty entertaining:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=158190093
    Missed page three on my first read... Which I could eat popcorn right now.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000) MadCatLady is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My job means sometimes I just can't access my meals. Always keep a protein bar in my pocket for these eventualities. I find quest bars are just the right consistency after a few hours in my trousers, lol.

EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I used to be a waitress in college and could always find a minute or 2 to eat. Do you not get any breaks at all? Isn't that against the law? What if you have to go to the bathroom - can you not do that either? You either need to make time, put stuff like protein bars and nuts in your pockets, or eat a lot either before or after your shifts. I sometimes go 5hrs w/out eating - it's not going to be detrimental to your gains or your health. Total cals/macros consumed over the course of the day is what matters, so you don't even really need to bring food with you. Those are your best options. Or finding a new job, because this one sounds pretty bad.

Shmcdewn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use to work at a coffee shop where we didn't get breaks either...it sucked. but i planned accordingly..always ate a substantial meal before my shift and brought snacks or meals for throughout the day. it would get extremely busy and i would have little time to eat...protein/meal bars were great i could eat them in little bits. plastic baggies of nuts or trail mix were good too as i could eat them by the handful whenever i got the chance. and then of course eat after my shift. i didn't always like eating when i got home but i was hungry and like everyone here has said if you as long as you hit your calories for the day it doesn't matter. if you fail to plan you plan to fail. find a plan that works for you, (which may take several different tries to get it right) and stick to it. your situation is difficult and not an ideal one but it is not impossible to reach your goals and make it work. listen and at least try what everyone here has suggested. if you really feel like there is absolutely no way to find a suitable meal plan with your job then quit and find a new one or ask your boss for a different shift. you have many options...

fitfinealways is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfinealways is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfinealways is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfinealways is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfinealways is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfinealways is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfinealways is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfinealways is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfinealways is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfinealways is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfinealways is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I know someone who is in the food/restaurant industry and I know that it can be physically tough on you. You are not alone though. Millions of women around struggle with health and career on daily basis. Even if you eat late, please eat healthy and please do not skip meals for anything. Studies have shown that skipping meals leads to obesity. I can't believe that you don't get breaks. I don't know what jurisdiction but this could be workplace issue. Check with your employment standards act.

Originally Posted by fitfinealways View Post
    I know someone who is in the food/restaurant industry and I know that it can be physically tough on you. You are not alone though. Millions of women around struggle with health and career on daily basis. Even if you eat late, please eat healthy and please do not skip meals for anything. Studies have shown that skipping meals leads to obesity. I can't believe that you don't get breaks. I don't know what jurisdiction but this could be workplace issue. Check with your employment standards act.
    Thanks you all. We are required a break if needed at the 6 hour check point but I'm always done by then. The only days we work for 8 hours or more are Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Easter. We are allowed a break those days but it is difficult. Nobody took a break over those holidays last year.

I had just been concerned that going without eating during that period might jeopardize progress but others here say it won't. It still sucks feeling so hungry and having to fight a strong desire to eat poorly. I'll keep trying to carry snacks around on me. It has worked sometimes; I brought prepackaged protein shakes to drink as I went but those were getting thrown away before I could finish. I need something in my pocket that goes down quick. I'm thinking protein bars it is.
    Last edited by TrainBetter; 11-11-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Originally Posted by EPolis13 View Post
    I used to be a waitress in college and could always find a minute or 2 to eat. Do you not get any breaks at all? Isn't that against the law? What if you have to go to the bathroom - can you not do that either? You either need to make time, put stuff like protein bars and nuts in your pockets, or eat a lot either before or after your shifts. I sometimes go 5hrs w/out eating - it's not going to be detrimental to your gains or your health. Total cals/macros consumed over the course of the day is what matters, so you don't even really need to bring food with you. Those are your best options. Or finding a new job, because this one sounds pretty bad.
    Waitressing really sucks sometimes. I rarely have to go to the bathroom on the job but if I'm on that monthly, or I drank near a gallon that day, I have to stop what I'm doing. Going to the bathroom means my table 20 isn't getting the refill they asked for right away, my table 30 isn't getting their food that is sitting in the window and my table 40 is sitting and waiting to be greeted. The money is better than I can do elsewhere for now and the people (coworkers, not customers) generally make it more enjoyable. Not every day is so busy but we're rarely just waiting around. I'm sure I can try stuffing bars down as I put food orders in though. Thanks guys.

EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Waitressing really sucks sometimes. I rarely have to go to the bathroom on the job but if I'm on that monthly, or I drank near a gallon that day, I have to stop what I'm doing. Going to the bathroom means my table 20 isn't getting the refill they asked for right away, my table 30 isn't getting their food that is sitting in the window and my table 40 is sitting and waiting to be greeted. The money is better than I can do elsewhere for now and the people (coworkers, not customers) generally make it more enjoyable. Not every day is so busy but we're rarely just waiting around. I'm sure I can try stuffing bars down as I put food orders in though. Thanks guys.
    Try Quest bars or Robert Irvine's FortiFX Fit Crunch bars. Both taste amazeballs and will help you fill your belly a little during your shift. Good luck!

Originally Posted by EPolis13 View Post
    Try Quest bars or Robert Irvine's FortiFX Fit Crunch bars. Both taste amazeballs and will help you fill your belly a little during your shift. Good luck!
    Sorry, late question. Where can I get those Quest bars? I shop at Whole Foods; are they available there? Also, are they pretty healthy? I haven't been eating protein bars because they are generally quite similar to candy bars.

Sorry, late question. Where can I get those Quest bars? I shop at Whole Foods; are they available there? Also, are they pretty healthy? I haven't been eating protein bars because they are generally quite similar to candy bars.
    You can actually get them here on bb.com They're very healthy, made with natural ingredients.

nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MadCatLady View Post
    I find quest bars are just the right consistency after a few hours in my trousers, lol.
    made me lol