Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000)

A few questions on keto

I pretty much got a handle of the whole thing. it's a shift in metabolism from glycolysis to ketosis, your body burns ketones instead of glucose, and your body burns bodyfat as the primary source of energy once ketones have been depleted. it's activated through high fat, some protien very low carbs.

my question is, how bad is keto in the long run? I'm doing keto for weight loss, 200lbs at the moment at 25% bodyfat. I wouldn't mind being on ketosis forever, but is it bad to do it? I heard of carb ups, but I really don't get those. should I do carb ups if I'm trying to lose bodyfat?

xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Mammals View Post
    I pretty much got a handle of the whole thing. it's a shift in metabolism from glycolysis to ketosis, your body burns ketones instead of glucose, and your body burns bodyfat as the primary source of energy once ketones have been depleted. it's activated through high fat, some protien very low carbs.

my question is, how bad is keto in the long run? I'm doing keto for weight loss, 200lbs at the moment at 25% bodyfat. I wouldn't mind being on ketosis forever, but is it bad to do it? I heard of carb ups, but I really don't get those. should I do carb ups if I'm trying to lose bodyfat?
    No long term studies to give an answer but currently no one can say it is bad long term. No you don't need carb ups.
    "I don't believe you have to be better than everybody else. I believe you have to be better than you ever thought you could be." -Ken Venturi

Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000) Mammals is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by xJellyBirdx View Post
    No long term studies to give an answer but currently no one can say it is bad long term. No you don't need carb ups.
    would you link me to a good routine for fat loss? I'm thinking of completely not going to the gym until i lose all my blubber. not like I need to preserve the 150lbs of lean mass I have lol, but I feel horrible after the gym low energy and crap. should I just jog 5 times a week along with intermittent fasting keto?

xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000)
    would you link me to a good routine for fat loss? I'm thinking of completely not going to the gym until i lose all my blubber. not like I need to preserve the 150lbs of lean mass I have lol, but I feel horrible after the gym low energy and crap. should I just jog 5 times a week along with intermittent fasting keto?
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...ss-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...ss-part-2.html
    "I don't believe you have to be better than everybody else. I believe you have to be better than you ever thought you could be." -Ken Venturi

Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why not go to the gym right away? It's such a good motivator in the long-run. I hated HATED how I looked in gym clothes and working out with other people around in the first like 2 weeks so I avoided the gym initially thinking - ok, I'll just diet and get a bit smaller and THEN hit the gym hard.... no bueno. Just start Join I started with classes like spin, body pump, etc. Now, I do whatever I want and it has definitely quickened the fat loss from my original plan of staying away if you have low energy after the gym, drink a shake directly after the workout or eat a questbar or something nuts or something, especially if you can't get to food soon after.

But then again, if you're jogging, and you like it... I dunno. Since I personally hate jogging

Good luck

Originally Posted by Zuper View Post
    Why not go to the gym right away? It's such a good motivator in the long-run. I hated HATED how I looked in gym clothes and working out with other people around in the first like 2 weeks so I avoided the gym initially thinking - ok, I'll just diet and get a bit smaller and THEN hit the gym hard.... no bueno. Just start Join I started with classes like spin, body pump, etc. Now, I do whatever I want and it has definitely quickened the fat loss from my original plan of staying away if you have low energy after the gym, drink a shake directly after the workout or eat a questbar or something nuts or something, especially if you can't get to food soon after.

But then again, if you're jogging, and you like it... I dunno. Since I personally hate jogging

Good luck
    i would love to go to the gym and build muscle at 12% bodyfat haha, however, not when i look like a land whale. especially when main goal is to lose fat as fast as possible. since i have not a lot of muscle, no point in trying to "preserve" it by going to the gym... well as how i see it

Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zuper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i would love to go to the gym and build muscle at 12% bodyfat haha, however, not when i look like a land whale. especially when main goal is to lose fat as fast as possible. since i have not a lot of muscle, no point in trying to "preserve" it by going to the gym... well as how i see it
    Don't have such a negative view on your body image... no bueno!

And don't view the gym as a place where meatheads go to build muscle... view it as a place with tools to get things done

Got a gym nearby that has classes? Personal trainer an option? My friend who just started is trying to lose fat hired a personal trainer, mainly to correct him on his form, show him what to do for which muscle group on which days etc... he's seeing improvement already in just 4 weeks of consistent training 4 days a week.

Also, you wouldn't believe how much incorporating resistance training burns fat!

And, don't view "losing fat" and "building muscle" as two separate events... do them at the same time

steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think i speak pretty freely when I say most people don't care what you like like at the gym. If they see you consistently it can actually help keep them motivated as well. (Even the fit ones)

OutlawRider14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OutlawRider14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OutlawRider14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OutlawRider14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OutlawRider14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OutlawRider14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OutlawRider14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OutlawRider14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OutlawRider14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OutlawRider14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OutlawRider14 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by steezo31 View Post
    I think i speak pretty freely when I say most people don't care what you like like at the gym. If they see you consistently it can actually help keep them motivated as well. (Even the fit ones)
    x2
    I could care less what other people look like at the gym. Just happy to see them in there trying to improve their lives and health. Anything is better than nothing.

steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steezo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by OutlawRider14 View Post
    x2
    I could care less what other people look like at the gym. Just happy to see them in there trying to improve their lives and health. Anything is better than nothing.
    Absolutely

sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've been adhering to keto for a good part of the year and have only felt better than before. There are others who have been following it for even longer and have gotten blood work done showing improved results, etc.

I don't care what people look like either. I usually just hope and pray that they're not going to use like three or four stations at once, or stand around talking loudly, but their appearance hardly concerns me when I'm there.

Originally Posted by sambshep View Post
    I've been adhering to keto for a good part of the year and have only felt better than before. There are others who have been following it for even longer and have gotten blood work done showing improved results, etc.

I don't care what people look like either. I usually just hope and pray that they're not going to use like three or four stations at once, or stand around talking loudly, but their appearance hardly concerns me when I'm there.
    Lol, my biggest pet peeve is when people at the gym sit on a circuit training machine and never get off for 10 sets. Or when they put their towel on said machine as if the towel is holding their spot

I'm sure people are judging you more than you know. Maybe not about size but maybe they just don't care for the way you carry yourself. Time to get over it and just be you.

Originally Posted by steezo31 View Post
    Lol, my biggest pet peeve is when people at the gym sit on a circuit training machine and never get off for 10 sets. Or when they put their towel on said machine as if the towel is holding their spot
    Just ask them if you can work in on a set while they are resting. Solved.

I'm sure people are judging you more than you know. Maybe not about size but maybe they just don't care for the way you carry yourself. Time to get over it and just be you.

Yea I do that, but still annoying.

sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    That doesn't really work if you're trying to do Squats and the person at the rack is doing Barbell Curls

Originally Posted by sambshep View Post
    That doesn't really work if you're trying to do Squats and the person at the rack is doing Barbell Curls
    Curls in the squat rack!? Curses!

Curls on the flat bench really the ticks me off too. Lol

weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP, you may have noticed that we are all gym-goers. I can say for everyone that we love it there. And learning this part is more important than your short term goal of "losing fat as soon as possible".

I have been on keto since February, on and off. I feel better on keto, I mean, it really goes beyond fitness goals. Done blood tests recently, all good like a teenager.

Carb-ups are good for hypertrophy. I sometimes switch to carbs for extended periods, and this is when I hit new growth. They are also good when planned for social occasions like family outing or beer party and such. Cant be a health freak all the time.

mpawlicki is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpawlicki is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpawlicki is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpawlicki is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpawlicki is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpawlicki is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpawlicki is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpawlicki is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpawlicki is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpawlicki is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpawlicki is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    my question is, how bad is keto in the long run?
    I have to say that no matter how scared I was at first when I read about keto and then decided to try it, there are three things that make me believe keto is safe:
    1. Infants are born to eat mother's milk. Milk is fat and protein. That's keto. If newborns do it, must be safe. Of course, their metabolism might be different from an adult, but non the less.
    2. Other people in these forums have been on keto for years and swear by it. I take their word for it.
    3. For millions of years there was no agriculture around, so carbs were limited to humans. Call it paleo, caveman, or keto, to me it was all the same. Seems humans were born to do keto and only in the last few 1000's years are trying to adopt to carbs.

Originally Posted by mpawlicki View Post
    1. Infants are born to eat mother's milk. Milk is fat and protein. That's keto. If newborns do it, must be safe. Of course, their metabolism might be different from an adult, but non the less.
    Yes, but we don't purchase breast milk at the grocery store, and for those with lactose intolerance, milk (and dairy in general) can be quite dangerous for them without the lactase enzyme.

DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you're doing sustained SKD, watch out for dry eyes or skin... if you get these and its a problem, might be time for a potato or something.

Also, you're really setting yourself back NOT going to the gym. You're sacrificing the NOOB gains that are a possibility as your body adapts to new workouts.

Also, curls in the squat rack... This really grinds my gears.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=608052853&posted=1#post608052853

BEARS, CUBS, BULLS, HAWKS, SOX, MMA

lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    From what I have read and looked into.

I think that keto is much more healthy for most people long term and the average diet or a low fat diet.

The issues with keto long term are issues that have nothing to do with keto but rather the crap we are given to eat.
    If you do keto with lot's of fatty grain fed meat, I don't see that as healthy long term.

I think you need to get quality whole food sources in your diet and stick to grass fed, organic meats. Avoid vegetable oils, use coconut oil, olive oil and so on.
    Keep your Omega-3 to Omega-6 1:1. Eat plenty of quality saturated fat.
    Eat no processed foods grains and do on (keto you can't really anyway)

I follow more of a primal keto approach, try and get the best food sources with the best micro-nutrients that fits into keto.

Also you can get tones of great vitamins and minerals from organ meats, and bone broth.

Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100)
    Just go to the gym. Anyone who makes fun of you is a jerkoff. Everyone looks better at the gym than at McD's or plopped in front of a tv. DO IT!