creilly315 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Strength Training While Cutting

So I've decided it's time to cut some weight. I'm 24yo, 5' 11" and I was at 205lb 3 months ago, now down to 185. I'm estimating my lean mass around 155lb. Weight loss basically came to a halt for the last 3 weeks so I'm starting to count my calories. I'm aiming for 1500 cals, 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fat.

I want to really lose the BF. I want to get bigger and stronger(which I am), but I feel it's a bit of a waste under a blanket of fat. Weight loss is going well now that I'm counting calories.

I've been working with a trainer for the last month. My main question is, he suggest doing HIIT type workouts with weight training. I notice that when I do those workouts I have way less energy and stamina than before. I suspect it's my lower cals and carbs. I'm a former wrestler so I'm not afraid of a cardio intensive workout. Do you think it's necessary to continue those workouts, or should I just stick to weight training for my goals?

I'd rather be riding! sourmash1973's Avatar
    sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by creilly315 View Post
    So I've decided it's time to cut some weight. I'm 24yo, 5' 11" and I was at 205lb 3 months ago, now down to 185. I'm estimating my lean mass around 155lb. Weight loss basically came to a halt for the last 3 weeks so I'm starting to count my calories. I'm aiming for 1500 cals, 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fat.

I want to really lose the BF. I want to get bigger and stronger(which I am), but I feel it's a bit of a waste under a blanket of fat. Weight loss is going well now that I'm counting calories.

I've been working with a trainer for the last month. My main question is, he suggest doing HIIT type workouts with weight training. I notice that when I do those workouts I have way less energy and stamina than before. I suspect it's my lower cals and carbs. I'm a former wrestler so I'm not afraid of a cardio intensive workout. Do you think it's necessary to continue those workouts, or should I just stick to weight training for my goals?
    If you're going to do weight training AND HIIT, I would highly suggest you up your calories. The fatigue is because you're not giving your body enough fuel for what you're putting it through. You don't need HIIT, or any cardio for that matter, to lose the weight. You can do it with weight training alone if you want. Do what works for you and what you feel comfortable with. IMO I would up your calories anyway. Why starve yourself? I'm a bit shorter than you and about the same weight and I'm losing weight on 2100-2400 calories a day.
    Beginning Weight (1/13/2013)- 245

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you." -Tyrion Lannister

"Death created time to grow the things it would kill." -Rust Cohle

5 reason you may not be losing weight/have hit a plateau. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160842471

MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by sourmash1973 View Post
    If you're going to do weight training AND HIIT, I would highly suggest you up your calories. The fatigue is because you're not giving your body enough fuel for what you're putting it through. You don't need HIIT, or any cardio for that matter, to lose the weight. You can do it with weight training alone if you want. Do what works for you and what you feel comfortable with. IMO I would up your calories anyway. Why starve yourself? I'm a bit shorter than you and about the same weight and I'm losing weight on 2100-2400 calories a day.
    Yes, all of that.

If you enjoy the way you are lifting now then that's an important factor to consider. I personally don't like fast paced lifting but to each his own. You should however at least make sure you are doing compound lifts. You always have the right to tell your trainer what you want.

As far as your calories go, regardless of what training style you decide to go with you should not be limiting yourself to 1500 calories a day. It's just not enough and you will always have that tired feeling. You don't have a tremendous amount of weight to lose so at this point you should not be aiming for 2 or more lbs lost per week.

RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    1500 cals is not a lot.

With your ratios you're giving your body roughly:

110g carbs
    50g fat
    150g protein

At your current height/weight and activity level that is not a lot of calories or energy. Only a very low calorie diet I would suggest low volume, high intensity and minimal cardio. You want to recover between sessions.

Either way, I am not a massive fan of cutting cals so low that you cannot work out effectively. I would much rather bump the cals up some what and work harder in the gym - it's a win win from a mood and energy perspective.
    Tired of boring cardio? Want to add a challenge to your workouts?
    New book available on the Amazon store
    "Cardio Revolution: 54 Fat Loss Finishers - Pack of Cards Workout"

www.revolutionlifestyles.com

Online fitness, nutrition and lifestyle coaching.

Personal training - Wimbledon, SW19.

Fat Loss | Strength Training

Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Agree with everyone else. Increase your carbs and look at the timing of your carb intake. Aim to take majority of your carbs around breakfast and training times. Lower ur carb intake in the evening and before bed and this should help. By having carbs around your workout you will have more energy whilst working out. Carbs at breakfast can reduce hunger throughout the day. Make sure not to have too much fat postworkout as the high carbs will cause insulin to spike resulting in more fats being stored. Protein and carbs only PWO IMO. Good luck!

sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Markwhit View Post
    Agree with everyone else. Increase your carbs and look at the timing of your carb intake. Aim to take majority of your carbs around breakfast and training times. Lower ur carb intake in the evening and before bed and this should help. By having carbs around your workout you will have more energy whilst working out. Carbs at breakfast can reduce hunger throughout the day. Make sure not to have too much fat postworkout as the high carbs will cause insulin to spike resulting in more fats being stored. Protein and carbs only PWO IMO. Good luck!
    Bro-science here. Just up your calories all together for more energy.

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you." -Tyrion Lannister

5 reason you may not be losing weight/have hit a plateau. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160842471

satanslilboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) satanslilboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) satanslilboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) satanslilboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) satanslilboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) satanslilboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) satanslilboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) satanslilboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) satanslilboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) satanslilboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) satanslilboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In regards to losing strength, you will not see any significant decrease in numbers if you are putting in the work. In fact I gained strength on my cut on most lifts.

MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Markwhit View Post
    The bro-science is strong with this one.

creilly315 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Alright. You guys are all saying what I kind of knew, just didn't want to admit. Time to up the calories a little. I'll start with 1700 and see how I progress for a few weeks. Due to my job and the long/irregular hours I can only get in the gym 3x a week. So I think my TDEE isn't incredibly high. Also, all my lifts are still consistently going up, it's just the HIIT workouts that are suffering. Will update in a couple weeks!

Originally Posted by creilly315 View Post
    Alright. You guys are all saying what I kind of knew, just didn't want to admit. Time to up the calories a little. I'll start with 1700 and see how I progress for a few weeks. Due to my job and the long/irregular hours I can only get in the gym 3x a week. So I think my TDEE isn't incredibly high. Also, all my lifts are still consistently going up, it's just the HIIT workouts that are suffering. Will update in a couple weeks!
    IMO, 1700 is still too low. Bring it up some more and you will still lose fat but you will also be happier with more food and energy. I have a job where I'm primarily at a desk all day and I still cut on 2100-2400. I also only weight train 3 times a week and only cardio 2 times a week. I then try to stay active on the weekends.