shaunmac9128 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

preserving muscle mass while cutting

Bulking now but going to have to cut again eventually and wondering what tips you guys have for preserving as much muscle mass as possible while cutting aside from

- meet min protein requirement generally .82g/lb from what I've read
    - keep lifting as heavy as possible (duh)
    - maintaing a moderate calorie deficit, not trying to eat 30% below tdee for example

I currently do full body 3x/week similar to allpros, wondering if a different split is better for cutting for any reasons?
    Cardio needed while cutting if already in a slight deficit and lifting?

thanks

Nhayes91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nhayes91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nhayes91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nhayes91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nhayes91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nhayes91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nhayes91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nhayes91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nhayes91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nhayes91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nhayes91 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You want more protein than that during cutting to preserve your muscle mass. 1g/lb minimum. Keep carbs in your diet as they're muscle sparing, keep fiber high.. carbs coming from things like broccoli, brown rice, oats are good. Intake a medium amount of fat as it's good for test levels. Cardio is fine, but diet is the main concern.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by shaunmac9128 View Post
    wondering if a different split is better for cutting for any reasons?
    No to both.

PeterStark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeterStark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeterStark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeterStark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeterStark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeterStark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeterStark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeterStark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeterStark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeterStark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PeterStark has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by shaunmac9128 View Post
    Bulking now but going to have to cut again eventually and wondering what tips you guys have for preserving as much muscle mass as possible while cutting aside from

- meet min protein requirement generally .82g/lb from what I've read
    - keep lifting as heavy as possible (duh)
    - maintaing a moderate calorie deficit, not trying to eat 30% below tdee for example

I currently do full body 3x/week similar to allpros, wondering if a different split is better for cutting for any reasons?

thanks
    30% deficit is pretty aggressive. I would start at 10% and adjust if needed.

pteixei2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pteixei2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pteixei2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pteixei2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pteixei2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pteixei2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pteixei2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pteixei2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pteixei2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pteixei2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pteixei2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by PeterStark View Post
    30% deficit is pretty aggressive. I would start at 10% and adjust if needed.
    Agreed! Start at 10% and go from there.

I'd also look at keeping carb intake to complex carbs during the day. At night, focus on carbs from green veggies (and lots of them). As for protein, 1g per pound of body weight should be enough. I like to supplement with BCAAs during my training sessions too. Obviously I use Amino Freak because it tastes delicious and is an awesome formula, BUT if you have your fav. brand then that works too. I find that BCAAs and protein are key to a successful cut and limiting the amount of muscle that is wasted.

Bodybuilding is truly a science so keep playing with numbers and soon enough you'll know exactly what your body responds best to. My advice is to record all of your training and diet alongside notes/pics of your physique. By doing this, you'll learn very quickly how your body reacts....
    Paul Teixeira
    Magnum Nutraceuticals Athlete

2014 IFBB North American Bantamweight Bodybuilding Champion
    2013 Canadian CBBF Bantamweight Bodybuilding Champion

www.********.com/HardMagnum
    www.twitter.com/HardMagnum
    www.instagram.com/HardMagnum
    www.pinterest.com/hardmagnum
    plus.google.com/105262634323875485156/posts
    www.youtube.com/user/MagnumNutraceuticals

Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Nhayes91 View Post
    You want more protein than that during cutting to preserve your muscle mass. 1g/lb minimum. Keep carbs in your diet as they're muscle sparing, keep fiber high.. carbs coming from things like broccoli, brown rice, oats are good. Intake a medium amount of fat as it's good for test levels. Cardio is fine, but diet is the main concern.
    yeah nice bro science mate.. its all ready been proven that the body cannot absorb more than .8g of protein per pound of LEAN BODY MASS... not per pound of mass...
    .8 was the upper limit with a 20% extra tolerance variance, therefore the average person will only absorb .6g/lb LBM but .8 is a "safe" figure with an extra tolerance added for those with high protein synthesis and then some..

I am only really nit picking here as I still eat 1g/lb even though I know better, but your shouting out the 1g/lb rule as if it is fact when it actually isnt.

by any chance are you on a bro-diet.. I will bet good money that you are

DBlueWolverine will become famous soon enough. (+50) DBlueWolverine will become famous soon enough. (+50) DBlueWolverine will become famous soon enough. (+50) DBlueWolverine will become famous soon enough. (+50) DBlueWolverine will become famous soon enough. (+50) DBlueWolverine will become famous soon enough. (+50) DBlueWolverine will become famous soon enough. (+50) DBlueWolverine will become famous soon enough. (+50) DBlueWolverine will become famous soon enough. (+50) DBlueWolverine will become famous soon enough. (+50) DBlueWolverine will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As said above you shouldn't start with a 30% deficit, take it slow.

EDIT - One user said to supplement BCAA, if your protein intake is above ~0.6 to ~0.8 grams per lb of total bodyweight (or target bodyweight, if fat), there would be no benefit in consuming BCAA.
    Last edited by DBlueWolverine; 11-06-2013 at 06:00 AM.
    ICF 5x5 journal - Currently cutting
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156888053

Not shaving until I see a two pack, may 2014, give or take.

**Shampoo my beard crew**
    **300 beard but not even a two pack crew**

Dedication puts impossible to shame - Me

MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Womble619 View Post
    yeah nice bro science mate.. its all ready been proven that the body cannot absorb more than .8g of protein per pound of LEAN BODY MASS... not per pound of mass...
    .8 was the upper limit with a 20% extra tolerance variance, therefore the average person will only absorb .6g/lb LBM but .8 is a "safe" figure with an extra tolerance added for those with high protein synthesis and then some..

I am only really nit picking here as I still eat 1g/lb even though I know better, but your shouting out the 1g/lb rule as if it is fact when it actually isnt.

by any chance are you on a bro-diet.. I will bet good money that you are
    Can we have some references to where this was "proven".

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    its all ready been proven that the body cannot absorb more than .8g of protein per pound of LEAN BODY MASS... not per pound of mass...
    I think you're a little off track there. There's more to protein intake and absorbtion that what can maximally stimulate MPS, especially on a cut.

Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50) Markwhit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Google layne norton cutting diet. Check out his article on pre contest cutting. This dude cuts through the broscience and will tell u all u need.

Hope this helps

Mark

Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000) Womble619 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MrM27 View Post
    Can we have some references to where this was "proven".
    it was some long 5 page study that someone put up on bb.com a while back by some university or sumin. I will try to find it if I can. but its pretty much agreed that .8g is the absolute max.. i am off no track

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    I think you're a little off track there. There's more to protein intake and absorbtion that what can maximally stimulate MPS, especially on a cut.
    it was some long 5 page study that someone put up on bb.com a while back by some university or sumin. I will try to find it if I can. but its pretty much agreed that .8g is the absolute max.. i am off no track
    This, 'absorption' vs. 'reaching a threshold for maximizing mps' are two different things.

And you're thinking of this, probably. http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-...-bodybuilders/

RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Slower fat loss will allow you to retain more muscle mass..

Lift heavy, but keep the volume lower (volume will ultimately depend on the aggressiveness of your calorie deficit).

Possibly throw in a combo of some LISS and some anaerobic energy systems work - pay attention to your mood & recovery.
    Tired of boring cardio? Want to add a challenge to your workouts?
    New book available on the Amazon store
    "Cardio Revolution: 54 Fat Loss Finishers - Pack of Cards Workout"

www.revolutionlifestyles.com

Online fitness, nutrition and lifestyle coaching.

Personal training - Wimbledon, SW19.

Fat Loss | Strength Training