Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Blocking Big NoseGuards as an Undersized Center

So this week for our game we play a team that has a nose guard around 300 pounds.

He's massive and our coach says he comes decently hard off the line.

Now in practice our starting nose is about the same size. A bit taller and a bit less weight, near 290 pounds. Anyways I go up against him in practice as a center and I basically can't stop him. He picks a way to go and he just bull rushes with his size that way. If you try to stop him, say on a dive, no go. He will drive you back or push you back then shed for the tackle. I've been trying stepping back and giving him a yard then smashing into him as hard as I can but overall I fail to get good blocks on him. What I mostly end up doing is either chopping or just pushing him the way he wants to go HARD and he usually falls down. Even if it was say 32 dive, I would push him pretty much to the 4 hole with his own momentum and the 2 hole opens that way. Whatever works man...

Now this week's game will be exactly like this. What I want to know is how to block a big nose who isn't necessarily nimble, any techniques I should know, and if the chance comes up how do I throw a good chop block? I know the basics, throw your opposite shoulder towards their opposite leg, but how do I do it aggressively to make them think the next time they come?

Thank you!

The1whoBreaksU is on a distinguished road. (+10) The1whoBreaksU is on a distinguished road. (+10) The1whoBreaksU is on a distinguished road. (+10) The1whoBreaksU is on a distinguished road. (+10) The1whoBreaksU is on a distinguished road. (+10) The1whoBreaksU is on a distinguished road. (+10) The1whoBreaksU is on a distinguished road. (+10) The1whoBreaksU is on a distinguished road. (+10) The1whoBreaksU is on a distinguished road. (+10) The1whoBreaksU is on a distinguished road. (+10) The1whoBreaksU is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news for you, but this question should have been answered before the season even started. You go ahead and try to hurt him. I hope he comes back and eats you alive for it. Chop blocks are dirty as hell.
    I must break you.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Skarlo View Post
    So this week for our game we play a team that has a nose guard around 300 pounds.

He's massive and our coach says he comes decently hard off the line.

Now in practice our starting nose is about the same size. A bit taller and a bit less weight, near 290 pounds. Anyways I go up against him in practice as a center and I basically can't stop him. He picks a way to go and he just bull rushes with his size that way. If you try to stop him, say on a dive, no go. He will drive you back or push you back then shed for the tackle. I've been trying stepping back and giving him a yard then smashing into him as hard as I can but overall I fail to get good blocks on him. What I mostly end up doing is either chopping or just pushing him the way he wants to go HARD and he usually falls down. Even if it was say 32 dive, I would push him pretty much to the 4 hole with his own momentum and the 2 hole opens that way. Whatever works man...

Now this week's game will be exactly like this. What I want to know is how to block a big nose who isn't necessarily nimble, any techniques I should know, and if the chance comes up how do I throw a good chop block? I know the basics, throw your opposite shoulder towards their opposite leg, but how do I do it aggressively to make them think the next time they come?

Thank you!
    I suspect you mean cut block, right?

BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ask your nose what HE hates (how to stop h by blocking) or watch film and see what works on the other guy

Personally I ask the o line every week about certain things relating to the guy their blocking for the main part to make their blocking easier

Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    I suspect you mean cut block, right?
    Yes

I actually need help tho. I understand chop blocks are dirty and I'm trying not to but if I don't have any other viable options I'm bound to do it.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've left this for more experienced linemen to answer, but you haven't gotten the help. I played a season at center, but I'm not an expert.

There is a reason why NFL teams pay big money for good defensive linemen. It's because one-on-one, they are hard to handle. If NFL offensive linemen have to double team players, there's no reason you shouldn't be. The guard to the side you're running needs to initiate the block to assist you to get the NT to the opposite side, then you get hands on his pads and drive him back away from the play.

I don't see how there wouldn't be an uncovered guard who should have that assignment, unless they've got a bunch of guys who play that well.

It's your coach's job to help you understand this in the context of your offense.