Page 10 of 75 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread: CS major crew

MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by dattrance View Post
    So brahs, i have no related work experience (CS major) but i do know a couple of web development languages and learning Java in uni. My friend hooked me up with an IT internship at a start up non-profit organization. He talked with the executive director and he's even allowing me to create my own title and i can work from home since all im doing is creating and developing the website and i'll probably help with SEO and Internet Marketing. Most likely i will be using Wordpress to help create it. What title should i give myself? IT/Programming Intern? IT/Web Developer Intern? Trying to make it sound appealing and exciting so future employers/internships will notice me when i apply.

What type of job do you want in the future? You want your internship title to sound similar to that of the title of the job you want when you graduate school.
    Pureblood

¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Он не человек, он как кусок железа

ps1990 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ps1990 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ps1990 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ps1990 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ps1990 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ps1990 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ps1990 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ps1990 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ps1990 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ps1990 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ps1990 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    in.

currently doing cs with foundation year, we're learning python now.
    ☆☆☆υк яєω☆☆☆
    ☆☆☆Genova's witness☆☆☆

dattrance is a name known to all. (+5000) dattrance is a name known to all. (+5000) dattrance is a name known to all. (+5000) dattrance is a name known to all. (+5000) dattrance is a name known to all. (+5000) dattrance is a name known to all. (+5000) dattrance is a name known to all. (+5000) dattrance is a name known to all. (+5000) dattrance is a name known to all. (+5000) dattrance is a name known to all. (+5000) dattrance is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MuscleXtreme View Post
    What type of job do you want in the future? You want your internship title to sound similar to that of the title of the job you want when you graduate school.
    I would prefer to go into the Database/Network/Security/Systems Administration route rather than get a programming job.
    EDM crew
    Facial aesthetics crew
    6'2" crew

jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ps1990 View Post
    in.

currently doing cs with foundation year, we're learning python now.
    Hows that going

jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000) jantelo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Kurial View Post
    It was part of a hw assignment for Software Construction. Ended up not turning it in completed. 69 i class currently but idk I usually get higher than avg in the assignments but avg on the quizzes. avg being around 55-60.
    thats crazy. what did you get working and what parts didnt you get done?

Originally Posted by Slurgie View Post
    Been learning ruby but friends persuading me to learn node.js instead. Opinions? Want to enter the job market asap.
    I dont feel too confident in ruby's future tbh. nodejs does have a lot of hype, What other CS skills do you have?

When did you start C# brah?
    the same day i started that game lol. there are a still a lot of weird things about the language to me that I dont get. Like how to freakin get console output, there are dozens of methods for it and idk which ones to use
    Originally Posted by TelAvivTalmud View Post
    coming from a Java world, I learned C# at work...they are very similar its just a syntax basically...

for people who are starting to learn programming,

if you know core Java, or you passed a class , or you finished coding code academy task etc doesn't mean you are ready for an industry...

google and stackoverlow is your bibles
    yea there is a huge difference between hobbyist and industry programmming

MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MuscleXtreme has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by jantelo View Post
    the same day i started that game lol. there are a still a lot of weird things about the language to me that I dont get. Like how to freakin get console output, there are dozens of methods for it and idk which ones to use

Console.Out.WriteLine("your string")
    Pureblood

¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Console.Out.WriteLine("your string")
    what if I want a string followed by a variable name? Similar to:

printf("The value of x is : %d", x);

High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) High_Endurance has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    in for later
    WW...........WW I S C O N S I N
    WW...........WW I S C O N S I N
    WW...WW...WW I S C O N S I N
    WWW......WWW I S C O N S I N

Platinum Account Holder cheesecake93's Avatar
    cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    CS engineering here (lehigh university) , know Java (through classes) and self taught python and a little bit of C# as well as some basic bash scripts I used to write when I used loonix. Debating getting a graphic design minor think it might be interesting/useful in the future but the courses are actually pretty difficult at my school. Any older brahs got advice on this? Also I might be doing a general engineering internship for lorillard next summer, but I was hoping to find something more CS related instead but it'd probably be some small company/startup because my GPA is crap atm. Any advice on this? (major relevant small internship vs engineering large company internship for my resume?)
    Last edited by cheesecake93; 12-15-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    I've been working hard, I've been searching for God.

TelAvivTalmud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TelAvivTalmud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TelAvivTalmud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TelAvivTalmud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TelAvivTalmud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TelAvivTalmud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TelAvivTalmud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TelAvivTalmud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TelAvivTalmud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TelAvivTalmud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TelAvivTalmud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    had a great SQL Oracle database class this semester, learned so much from it....

currently going over Hibernate Java Framework...there are lot of jobs out there that are looking for it....

read Effective Java and it was one of the best books I ever read...

I just found out that uni has safaribooksonline, lots of greats books on there for free....anybody else have this at their uni ?

what if I want a string followed by a variable name? Similar to:

printf("The value of x is : %d", x);

You would probably just need to concatenate it. For example

x = 4

("The value of x is: " & x);

But I'm not sure of the concatenation syntax for c#. In vb.net the symbol is &.

Edit: Just looked it up and to concatenate in C# use +

So ("The value of x is " + x);
    Last edited by MuscleXtreme; 12-15-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    Pureblood

¡Viva Cristo Rey!

spazzin is a name known to all. (+5000) spazzin is a name known to all. (+5000) spazzin is a name known to all. (+5000) spazzin is a name known to all. (+5000) spazzin is a name known to all. (+5000) spazzin is a name known to all. (+5000) spazzin is a name known to all. (+5000) spazzin is a name known to all. (+5000) spazzin is a name known to all. (+5000) spazzin is a name known to all. (+5000) spazzin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by cheesecake93 View Post
    CS engineering here (leigh university) , know Java (through classes) and self taught python and a little bit of C# as well as some basic bash scripts I used to write when I used loonix. Debating getting a graphic design minor think it might be interesting/useful in the future but the courses are actually pretty difficult at my school. Any older brahs got advice on this? Also I might be doing a general engineering internship for lorillard next summer, but I was hoping to find something more CS related instead but it'd probably be some small company/startup because my GPA is crap atm. Any advice on this? (major relevant small internship vs engineering large company internship for my resume?)
    I'd try to get a internship with a small software company = you'll learn a lot more skills because in a smaller company you'll have much more tasks at hand then being an intern at a large company = code the simplest **** just to give you something to do.
    Positive vibes crew
    NYC crew

JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sup brahs I made a thread like a month ago in science and technology but I should have made it in the Misc

-What programming languages you are proficient in (Know basics + how to use data structures in them)
    I just copy and paste from my resume, but half of these languages I would have to refresh up for a few days to be able to do anything with them: Java, C, C++, Ruby, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, MySql, Microsoft .NET(ASP,VB,C#), Microsoft SQL, Oracle SQL, SML, Prolog, Assembly

-What your favorite CS class was so far
    Discrete math and my algorithms elective class this semester (P and NP, artificial intelligence, shortest path etc) intredasting stuff
    - What you plan on doing with your CS degree when you graduate
    I work in IT at the moment but I hate the business aspect of it (meetings, office politics, etc) I want to be a code monkey for a software company where I get an assignment and hours to do it (I can do work fast as fuk and I think I would do great in that type of environment)

HANZYOLO is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HANZYOLO is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HANZYOLO is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HANZYOLO is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HANZYOLO is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HANZYOLO is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HANZYOLO is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HANZYOLO is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HANZYOLO is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HANZYOLO is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) HANZYOLO is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Been working on an Engine in opengl for about 6 months now.

https://github.com/Bonnn/GameEngine/...ineFW/EngineFW

It's about 3.5k lines, and it's getting really frustrating to write. Just the way shaders and opengl buffers etc work make doing this much harder than I feel it should be.

Curls for teh gurlz. MajorMelon's Avatar
    MajorMelon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MajorMelon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MajorMelon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MajorMelon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MajorMelon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MajorMelon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MajorMelon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MajorMelon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MajorMelon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MajorMelon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MajorMelon is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Just completed my first semester at uni doing CS.

Loving Java atm
    RIP Az.

☆☆☆υк яєω☆☆☆

Originally Posted by cheesecake93 View Post
    CS engineering here (leigh university) , know Java (through classes) and self taught python and a little bit of C# as well as some basic bash scripts I used to write when I used loonix. Debating getting a graphic design minor think it might be interesting/useful in the future but the courses are actually pretty difficult at my school. Any older brahs got advice on this? Also I might be doing a general engineering internship for lorillard next summer, but I was hoping to find something more CS related instead but it'd probably be some small company/startup because my GPA is crap atm. Any advice on this? (major relevant small internship vs engineering large company internship for my resume?)
    nice brah I almost went to Leigh. Computer Science is a lot more skill based than GPA based. If you have strong side projects and put that on your resume that will definitely overtake your low gpa

Originally Posted by TelAvivTalmud View Post
    had a great SQL Oracle database class this semester, learned so much from it....

currently going over Hibernate Java Framework...there are lot of jobs out there that are looking for it....

read Effective Java and it was one of the best books I ever read...

I just found out that uni has safaribooksonline, lots of greats books on there for free....anybody else have this at their uni ?
    what kind of things did you learn brah? and I just use http://it-ebooks.info/

You would probably just need to concatenate it. For example

x = 4

("The value of x is: " & x);

But I'm not sure of the concatenation syntax for c#. In vb.net the symbol is &.

Edit: Just looked it up and to concatenate in C# use +

So ("The value of x is " + x);
    inderesting thanks man

Originally Posted by JamesW129 View Post
    Sup brahs I made a thread like a month ago in science and technology but I should have made it in the Misc

-What programming languages you are proficient in (Know basics + how to use data structures in them)
    I just copy and paste from my resume, but half of these languages I would have to refresh up for a few days to be able to do anything with them: Java, C, C++, Ruby, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, MySql, Microsoft .NET(ASP,VB,C#), Microsoft SQL, Oracle SQL, SML, Prolog, Assembly

Discrete math and my algorithms elective class this semester (P and NP, artificial intelligence, shortest path etc) intredasting stuff
    I work in IT at the moment but I hate the business aspect of it (meetings, office politics, etc) I want to be a code monkey for a software company where I get an assignment and hours to do it (I can do work fast as fuk and I think I would do great in that type of environment)
    what steps are you taking towards your goal?

Originally Posted by HANZYOLO View Post
    Been working on an Engine in opengl for about 6 months now.

https://github.com/Bonnn/GameEngine/...ineFW/EngineFW

It's about 3.5k lines, and it's getting really frustrating to write. Just the way shaders and opengl buffers etc work make doing this much harder than I feel it should be.
    really cool brah. there's so many dam files mind giving an overview of how they all interact with each other?

JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JamesW129 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    what steps are you taking towards your goal?
    Finishing school for one...getting a different job for next spring that is more software development..have second interview next week but I'm psure its just a formality

We're all gonna make it. esmile's Avatar
    esmile is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) esmile is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) esmile is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) esmile is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) esmile is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) esmile is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) esmile is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) esmile is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) esmile is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) esmile is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) esmile is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Comp sci crew. Just finished discrete structures and comp logic/design (mips/logic gates). Tbh I'm pretty good in C which means I should be decent in Java. Taking CSII in spring. HNNNNG. Gonna try to sneak in system software too if my schedule allows.

PreppyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PreppyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PreppyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PreppyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PreppyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PreppyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PreppyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PreppyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PreppyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PreppyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PreppyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Finished my first semester of cs major crew checking in. I'm loving it brahs, i can see myself doing this for the rest of my life.
    C++ is fun
    /\^/\^Misc Colorado Crew^/\^/\

Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    what java book would you guys recommend for an absolute beginner?

JCarney is on a distinguished road. (+10) JCarney is on a distinguished road. (+10) JCarney is on a distinguished road. (+10) JCarney is on a distinguished road. (+10) JCarney is on a distinguished road. (+10) JCarney is on a distinguished road. (+10) JCarney is on a distinguished road. (+10) JCarney is on a distinguished road. (+10) JCarney is on a distinguished road. (+10) JCarney is on a distinguished road. (+10) JCarney is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you don't make it and you are a CS major, you are doing it wrong.

Graduated with a CS degree a few months ago and had a job a year before I even graduated.

Favorite Languages:
    Objective-C, Ruby

Favorite Classes:
    Programming Languages or Data Structures/Algorithms
    Engineer
    Chess player
    CEO 50k/day Flappy Bird cloner

ATVx779 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATVx779 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATVx779 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATVx779 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATVx779 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATVx779 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATVx779 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATVx779 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATVx779 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATVx779 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATVx779 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Sugarcult View Post
    Building Java Programs: a Back to the Basics Approach by Stuart Reges and Marty Stepp

covers everything you'll cover in programming I and data structures(pretty much)

GoodShit will become famous soon enough. (+50) GoodShit will become famous soon enough. (+50) GoodShit will become famous soon enough. (+50) GoodShit will become famous soon enough. (+50) GoodShit will become famous soon enough. (+50) GoodShit will become famous soon enough. (+50) GoodShit will become famous soon enough. (+50) GoodShit will become famous soon enough. (+50) GoodShit will become famous soon enough. (+50) GoodShit will become famous soon enough. (+50) GoodShit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had always planned on CS, but I hear the job security is mehh. Too easy to outsource these skills which frightens me.

Anyways, poverty CC does teach anything I want computer related. BRB, learning how to use Microsoft Word again...

I'm transferring soon, and I feel like I'll be a lot farther behind than classmates due to the **** material I'm learning. Going to have to do a lot of self-learning in the meantime.

Also, does anyone have any personal experience between CS and CIS? I hear CS is more mathematics related with a tougher workload, while CIS taps into the business aspect? Anyone confirm or share some stories? Thanks.

Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sugarcult will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ATVx779 View Post
    Building Java Programs: a Back to the Basics Approach by Stuart Reges and Marty Stepp

covers everything you'll cover in programming I and data structures(pretty much)
    damn, are all CS books this expensive. 60!

I used Gaddis' book for VB.NET and I liked it a lot and I thought he explained things very well. He also wrote a beginners Java book, so I would check that one out.
    Pureblood

¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Platinum Account Holder cheesecake93's Avatar
    cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cheesecake93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    damn, are all CS books this expensive. 60!
    yeah so expensive wtf

vodka69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vodka69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vodka69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vodka69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vodka69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vodka69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vodka69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vodka69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vodka69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vodka69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vodka69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    late but in

in for joocy programmers srs

EDIT:

C, Perl, Python and like 10 more but I hate using other programming languages

dunno **self taught crew**

I work doing NLP and machine learning
    I barely code I just have to prototype stuff and use existing libraries and do some math
    it's fun srs

anonymous
    I used Gaddis' book for VB.NET and I liked it a lot and I thought he explained things very well. He also wrote a beginners Java book, so I would check that one out.
    I used the Gaddis java book for my beginner class, wasn't too bad at all.