View Poll Results: Do you buy organic?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, whenever I can

7 31.82%
  • No, I don't really care

15 68.18%
    Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Do you buy organic?

Im sure this has been done before, but I was curious to see some statistics. Poll is private.

Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes. Almost everything I eat. I am a huge believer that the quality of the food you are eating is only as good as the soil it was grown in. You are what you eat, and also what you eat eats.

Especially in the summer i buy a lot of food directly from farmers and farmers markets. Some of this isn't labeled "organic" simply because they don't buy the label.

The term "organic" is kind of silly really. If anything it is the factory farmed nutritionally void crap that is sprayed with chemicals that should have a special name. The food our grandparents ate was all "organic" and they just called it food. Also there are more and more bogus "organic" certificates created by factory farmers all the time.
    …we have not spent the last 65 million or so years finely honing our physiology to watch Oprah. Like it or not, we are the product of a very long process of adaptation to a harsh physical existence, and the past couple centuries of comparative ease and plenty are not enough time to change our genome. We humans are at our best when our existence mirrors, or at least simulates, the one we are still genetically adapted to live. And that is the purpose of exercise. - Mark Rippetoe

Maximizing Potential brandonbourgoin's Avatar
    brandonbourgoin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brandonbourgoin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brandonbourgoin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brandonbourgoin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brandonbourgoin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brandonbourgoin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brandonbourgoin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brandonbourgoin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brandonbourgoin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brandonbourgoin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) brandonbourgoin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Heck no. Way too expensive. What i look for is whole foods. Foods with minimum ingredients. Least amount of processed type foods. Simple example - Peanut butter: Ingredients - Peanuts, Jam: Apple Preservatives. You can get whole foods at any store. You dont have to go to a whole food market and drain every penny out of your wallet.
    My 70LB+ Weight Loss Pics - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163257811
    Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164577071&pagenumber=
    ~~SCC{{25;26;27;28;29}}~~

HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No, too expensive

Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I occasionally get veg from the local markets here. No idea if it'd be anymore organic than the standard veg in the local supermarkets though.

The organic fruit, veg and meat I could buy from the international supermarkets is anywhere between 5 and 25+ times the price of the local (south-east asian) produce. No joke. The broccoli I normally buy is 3-4 Hong Kong Dollars a piece. An organic piece in an international supermarket can go for 75HKD depending on region and season. And then there's the imported free range/organic meat prices...

It's not that I don't care about where my produce is from (I do make some effort to pick certain brands or farms etc), but I'm often completely priced out. It makes no sense to pay the difference sometimes.

MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I get it when I can, especially when the price point is negligible. Trader Joes has great prices on organic food because unlike traditional grocery stores they buy it in bulk.
    Borussia Dortmund back-2-back Bundesliga champs

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Baby_Hulk View Post
    Im sure this has been done before, but I was curious to see some statistics. Poll is private.
    I buy as organic as possible, but in reality it can be financially difficult. I buy what I think is important to buy organic: fruits and vegetables for one thing! But if I cannot get it organic then not to worry, I buy this special produce wash to remove pesticides and other chemicals from fruits and vegetables. Even if it is organic I still use it.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by HealingHands8 View Post
    No, too expensive
    It really doesn't have to be. Especially if you join a farm share. Google CSA + whatever town you live in.

Just make smart choices. For example my co-op has asparagus at $8 a lb right now. That's ridicules so i buy other vegetables that are around $3 a lb. I buy grass fed ground beef in bulk that comes out to around $5 a lb. Sure it is more expensive than conventional ground beef but in comparison to steak it is cheap. The advantage to grass fed is in the fat so 85/15 meat for $5 a lb is a good deal. Grass fed butter is $6 a lb. Yes that's expensive compared to regular butter but it is $6 for 3,500 calories. Great deal. I also don't buy any pop, candy, or any junk food, don't take supplements and just spend that money on quality food. I go to farmers markets and directly to farms whenever possible.

Sure it is a little more expensive but not when you factor in medical bills, sick days off work,your energy level and the way you feel. Honestly what is more important than quality food to spend your money on?
    …we have not spent the last 65 million or so years finely honing our physiology to watch Oprah. Like it or not, we are the product of a very long process of adaptation to a harsh physical existence, and the past couple centuries of comparative ease and plenty are not enough time to change our genome. We humans are at our best when our existence mirrors, or at least simulates, the one we are still genetically adapted to live. And that is the purpose of exercise. - Mark Rippetoe

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The "organic" label is largely marketing nonsense.

That said, buying from local independently owned and rationally operated farms is preferable for a host of reasons.

The taste alone is worth the price most of the time. Again as long as you aren't buying the most expensive out of season produce. There is no comparison. Pick up some wild salmon and cook it next to some farm raised stuff. Buy an organic apple and compare it to a factory farmed one. Cut them open, see what one turns brown first. Organic carrots taste like they are fresh out of your grandparents garden. Notice how much darker and richer tasting an egg yolk is from a chicken that ate bugs instead of grains.

mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mchabs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    mom does and i eat the food that mom buys.

in college when i did my own groceries, i did not buy organic. when i move out of my parents house, i probably won't buy organic.

what is truly organic though?

my mom grows vegetables in a garden and i have to say, the tomatoes and cucumbers she grows taste 10/10. also have a raspberry bush and grape vine. the taste is a lot better than the genetically modified crap at the supermarket and even the "organic" stuff tastes fake/genetically modified.

brb fruits taste sweeter than they would naturally
    brb fruit/vegetables bigger than they would be naturally?

is it a bad thing though? honestly, i don't think it is. tastewise it is though.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Jesse_l_g View Post
    The taste alone is worth the price most of the time. Again as long as you aren't buying the most expensive out of season produce. There is no comparison. Pick up some wild salmon and cook it next to some farm raised stuff. Buy an organic apple and compare it to a factory farmed one. Cut them open, see what one turns brown first. Organic carrots taste like they are fresh out of your grandparents garden. Notice how much darker and richer tasting an egg yolk is from a chicken that ate bugs instead of grains.
    What's interesting is that in some countries, like Switzerland, I find the produce in the average supermarket is often better than the local farm produce in the States.

Huckleberry101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Huckleberry101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Huckleberry101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Huckleberry101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Huckleberry101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Huckleberry101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Huckleberry101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Huckleberry101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Huckleberry101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Huckleberry101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Huckleberry101 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No I Don't but I've never given it much thought.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nope. Rip off

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    No; it's little more than a scam.

What I do instead is to buy as much produce as possible from local sources such as Farmers' Markets.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733