Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sloanette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloanette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloanette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloanette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloanette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloanette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

All this protein is brutal

My calculated macros (with a 15% calorie drop for weight loss) leaves me at 1680 calories for the day. I weigh 180 lb and I'm 5'11". My macros tell me 180 g of protein, about 65 g of fat, and 100 g or so of carbs. It's approximately 40/40/20. Really, I just need to lose some fat right now. I'm a little fluffy after having a baby.

I am stuffed, constantly. Oats, eggs, cottage cheese, and protein shakes for breakfast, chicken and eggs and tuna for lunch, beef before I work out, a protein shake+bcaa's after the gym, and a meat/veg dinner. Just generally having a hard time getting it all in. I'm not hungry, yet I eat.

When does your body adjust to this much protein? I feel uncomfortably full all the time. I'm lifting 4x/week. It's making me kind of bloated, too. I'm on the right track, right? I'm new to macros and assume it'll get easier as time goes on.

And with that, I need to go choke down my lunch of canned tuna, eggs, and salsa.

Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Sloanette View Post
    My calculated macros (with a 15% calorie drop for weight loss) leaves me at 1680 calories for the day. I weigh 180 lb and I'm 5'11". My macros tell me 180 g of protein, about 65 g of fat, and 100 g or so of carbs. It's approximately 40/40/20. Really, I just need to lose some fat right now. I'm a little fluffy after having a baby.

I am stuffed, constantly. Oats, eggs, cottage cheese, and protein shakes for breakfast, chicken and eggs and tuna for lunch, beef before I work out, a protein shake+bcaa's after the gym, and a meat/veg dinner. Just generally having a hard time getting it all in. I'm not hungry, yet I eat.

When does your body adjust to this much protein? I feel uncomfortably full all the time. I'm lifting 4x/week. It's making me kind of bloated, too. I'm on the right track, right? I'm new to macros and assume it'll get easier as time goes on.

And with that, I need to go choke down my lunch of canned tuna, eggs, and salsa.
    I'm somewhat in the boat of "don't eat if you're not hungry" and listen to your body instead. Unless you're trying to GAIN weight, why force food in?

Post work out meal is the most important, everything else is just there. Take it or leave it.
    Check out my blog:

http://findingtruth1.blogspot.com/

I write about life, nutrition, exercise, and my own journey to health including personal motivation, inspiration, and challenges I've been able to overcome.

I don't do excuses. Press on!

Sloanette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloanette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloanette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloanette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloanette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sloanette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's usually my philosophy, but then I can easily fall under 1,000 calories for the day unless I eat junk. Even as it is, I'm only clearing 1400-1500/day. Plus working out.

schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Running2live View Post
    I'm somewhat in the boat of "don't eat if you're not hungry" and listen to your body instead. Unless you're trying to GAIN weight, why force food in?

Post work out meal is the most important, everything else is just there. Take it or leave it.
    Post workout meals are not THAT important. Nutrient timing isn't as important as getting the right cals/macros for the day.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123915821

OP, even less protein is enough:

http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-...-bodybuilders/

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=157248143

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would bring the protein down a bit and not use the 40/40/20 split.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380533

Macronutrient Needs
    Once you work out calorie needs, you then work out how much of each macronutrient you should aim for. This should NOT be based on a RATIO of macro intakes. (eg: '30:40:30 or 40:40:20') Your body doesn't CARE what % intake you have. It works based on SUFFICIENT QUANTITY per MASS.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

I calculated them per that thread and end up with 180g protein, 65g fat (0.5 gram/lean weight) and carb grams as leftovers. I just have to list them as %'s in MFP until the grams get close. It won't let me list just grams, unfortunately.

I'll drop a little protein, though, maybe add some protein back when I get hungrier in a few weeks. I feel like I'm climbing the great wall of meat.

schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    I would bring the protein down a bit and not use the 40/40/20 split.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380533

Macronutrient Needs
    Once you work out calorie needs, you then work out how much of each macronutrient you should aim for. This should NOT be based on a RATIO of macro intakes. (eg: '30:40:30 or 40:40:20') Your body doesn't CARE what % intake you have. It works based on SUFFICIENT QUANTITY per MASS.
    But this would give her .9-1.2g/lg BW. So, 162-216. She still likely doesn't need that much.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    But this would give her .9-1.2g/lg BW. So, 162-216. She still likely doesn't need that much.
    .6 - .8 per lb body weight is 108 - 144 grams. Thats a big spread to play with.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    .6 - .8 per lb body weight is 108 - 144 grams. Thats a big spread to play with.
    I agree with .6-.8g/lb BW likely being enough but when people consult the sticky, they read the following...

From the link you posted:

So UNLESS you have medical reasons for lower protein, or unless guided by your sports nutritionist or physician to use the GENERAL sports nutrition guidelines, I would suggest BODYBUILDING values.

General 'bodybuilding' guidelines for protein as follows:
    - Moderate bodyfat, Moderate training load, moderate calorie = 2.0-2.6g per kg TOTAL weight (about 0.9-1.2g per pound)
    - Low bodyfat or Very Low Calorie, Low Carb, High training load = 2.2-3g per kg TOTAL weight (1.0-1.35g per pound)
    - High bodyfat, high calorie, Low training load = 1.6 to 2.2g per kg TOTAL weight (.75-1g per pound)
    OP weighs 180lbs so I calculated 162-216g. Sorry to sound like a potato but what am I missing?

I see the .6-.8g/lb recommendation but then the info further says to stick to bodybuilding recommendations instead.

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I agree with .6-.8g/lb BW likely being enough but when people consult the sticky, they read the following...

OP weighs 180lbs so I calculated 162-216g. Sorry to sound like a potato but what am I missing?

I see the .6-.8g/lb recommendation but then the info further says to stick to bodybuilding recommendations instead.
    even with BB goals, at 5'11 180lbs OP isn't 'moderate' bodyfat, so she can do with less protein. .75g/pound = 135 grams.

General 'bodybuilding' guidelines for protein as follows:
    - Moderate bodyfat, Moderate training load, moderate calorie = 2.0-2.6g per kg TOTAL weight (about 0.9-1.2g per pound)
    - Low bodyfat or Very Low Calorie, Low Carb, High training load = 2.2-3g per kg TOTAL weight (1.0-1.35g per pound)
    - High bodyfat, high calorie, Low training load = 1.6 to 2.2g per kg TOTAL weight (.75-1g per pound)
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

and that is why you have to play with it. if she finds the general recommendations are too much, then backing off and going to the other recommebdations would be the next logical step.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    even with BB goals, at 5'11 180lbs OP isn't 'moderate' bodyfat, so she can do with less protein. .75g/pound = 135 grams.
    I thought about that...but I'm naive when comparing body weights to heights. I don't yet have an appreciation of what fat percentages might be for certain height/weight combos.

Makes sense, thanks.

I was mainly trying to say that the info in the sticky might still be an over approximation of need. I used to have this fascination with 1g/lb BW but it actually helped to learn that I don't necessarily need that much

My body fat was tested about two months ago and I clocked in at 27%. Too high. 34" waist

I was going with the 1 g/lb BW because I really just want to maximize my effort so that I get solid results. I don't want to have the baby walking around and me still be saying, "oh it's baby weight"....

PS i appreciate all the insight.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I believe the sticky also points out that those BB targets are more for when you are on really low calories.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I thought about that...but I'm naive when comparing body weights to heights. I don't yet have an appreciation of what fat percentages might be for certain height/weight combos.
    i plug them into a BMI calculator. imo, anything over 24 with no prior training background (most OPs here) is a fair shot.

I was mainly trying to say that the info in the sticky might still be an over approximation of need. I used to have this fascination with 1g/lb BW but it actually helped to learn that I don't necessarily need that much
    i agree. 1g/lb is an easy number to remember and apply. it isn't gospel though. individual protein needs vary a lot depending on the context.

Originally Posted by Sloanette
    I was going with the 1 g/lb BW because I really just want to maximize my effort so that I get solid results.
    eating 180 grams of protein at your weight is not going to give you an advantage over eating 130-150 grams. (it's not going to harm you either.) and if you struggle with 180 grams, it's likely you won't be able to stick to it in the long run anyway.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

My body fat was tested about two months ago and I clocked in at 27%. Too high. 34" waist

I was going with the 1 g/lb BW because I really just want to maximize my effort so that I get solid results. I don't want to have the baby walking around and me still be saying, "oh it's baby weight"....

PS i appreciate all the insight.
    But eating more protein doesn't necessarily yield better results. I guess it depends on an individual's reactions to eating protein. If your goal is fat loss and eating more protein than you need helps keep you full and that full feeling helps you to stay within your calorie goal to lose weight without over-eating, then I suppose it would help.

i plug them into a BMI calculator. imo, anything over 24 with no prior training background (most OPs here) is a fair shot.
    I've always ignore BMI because I thought it wasn't too accurate. I just plugged in my height (5 7.5) and weight (149) into a BMI calculator and it gave me 23. What should I take from that? I know I've gained fat with this bulk, but muscle too. But maybe it's time to cut some fat? I just still feel so small, kwim?

Yeah, ultimately I want to lose some fat, and eating more protein will keep me from being hungry (i am certainly not hungry today!), but I also don't want to dip into a total caloric range that is too low (like, 1200 calories/day).

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've always ignore BMI because I thought it wasn't too accurate. I just plugged in my height (5 7.5) and weight (149) into a BMI calculator and it gave me 23. What should I take from that? I know I've gained fat with this bulk, but muscle too. But maybe it's time to cut some fat? I just still feel so small, kwim?
    BMI calculators don't take into account BBers, who carry around more muscle. It's for the "others", and most people who come here (newbs) fall into the general population category.

You sure at 5'11 that you only need 1680?

Well, I used the Katch-McArdle formula, since I know my BF%. It gave me a BMR of 1647. With an activity factor of 1.2 (since i've been sedentary for 8 weeks with a back injury), it gave me 1976 calories. Knocking 15% off dropped me to 1680 for the day. 4 days of lifting, otherwise I have a desk job.

Well, I used the Katch-McArdle formula, since I know my BF%. It gave me a BMR of 1647. With an activity factor of 1.2 (since i've been sedentary for 8 weeks with a back injury), it gave me 1976 calories. Knocking 15% off dropped me to 1680 for the day. 4 days of lifting, otherwise I have a desk job.
    how did you get your BF% measured? it's likely not accurate. true 27% isn't 'too high' or overfat for a woman. it's smack in the middle of the normal range (~18-33%). given you feel you have a lot of fat to lose, have a 34 inch waist and your BMI indicates you're moderately overweight (25+), you're fatter than that.

so, use the general eyeball figures in the sticky. (no-one but those who have an accurate BF% measurement should use the Katch-McArdle formula.) if you're habitually [very] sedentary, your maintenance would be 12-13 x BW = 2,160-2,300 calories. subtract 20% from that gives you ~1,800 calories. if you set protein at 0.8 BW you'd get 144 grams. then get in fat minimum and fill in the rest as you wish.
    Last edited by Miranda; 11-01-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Originally Posted by Cara0915 View Post
    BMI calculators don't take into account BBers, who carry around more muscle. It's for the "others", and most people who come here (newbs) fall into the general population category.
    That rings a bell. Thank you.

how did you get your BF% measured? it's likely not accurate. true 27% isn't 'too high' or overfat for a woman. it's smack in the middle of the normal range (~18-33%). given you feel you have a lot of fat to lose, have a 34 inch waist and your BMI indicates you're moderately overweight (25+), you're fatter than that.

so, use the general eyeball figures in the sticky. (no-one but those who have an accurate BF% measurement should use the Katch-McArdle formula.) if you're habitually [very] sedentary, your maintenance would be 12-13 x BW = 2,160-2,300 calories. subtract 20% from that gives you ~1,800 calories. if you set protein at 0.8 BW you'd get 144 grams. then get in fat minimum and fill in the rest as you wish.
    Great advice!

Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Post workout meals are not THAT important. Nutrient timing isn't as important as getting the right cals/macros for the day.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123915821

OP, even less protein is enough:

http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-...-bodybuilders/

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=157248143
    Personally, I've seen better results with myself and nutrition timing.
    Check out my blog:

http://findingtruth1.blogspot.com/

I write about life, nutrition, exercise, and my own journey to health including personal motivation, inspiration, and challenges I've been able to overcome.

I don't do excuses. Press on!

Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks mods for deleting my post 5 min after i wrote it... sorry to go against broscience... /huggles /kitties
    Calculating nutrition/calories
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
    Why your designed workout will probably suck/List of good beginner programs (part 5):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118004321
    Things worth your time to forum search and understand (for new people): CNS fatigue vs muscle fatigue, deloading, refeed, intensity vs volume, going to muscle failure, overreaching, overtraining, chronic fatigue, recovery.

Originally Posted by Running2live View Post
    Personally, I've seen better results with myself and nutrition timing.
    Well, yeah, there's the YMMV element. But, scientifically, the post workout meal isn't significantly important. Unless we are talking about an endurance athlete or someone who wants to perform multiple glycogen depleting workouts per day. There's no magic window during which protein/carbs/whatever should be consumed.

There's no magic window during which protein/carbs/whatever should be consumed.
    erm, there is a 'window' around your workouts. nutrition timing does matter. it's only it doesn't matter as much as people think.

erm, there is a 'window' around your workouts. nutrition timing does matter. it's only it doesn't matter as much as people think.
    I'd be interested to see the studies showing what the window is and how much the timing matters (specifically for weight training). Do you have any recommendations?

I'd be interested to see the studies showing what the window is and how much the timing matters (specifically for weight training). Do you have any recommendations?
    here's a current review on protein timing and its effects on muscular hypertrophy and strength and another one nutrient timing in general.

one problem with studies tends to be that different reseachers use wildly varying methodologies, and hence can get different results. i like this one in particular.

but, if you distill the findings, there is evidence that ensuring adequate nutrient intake around training (within a 3-4+hr 'window' if you will) is beneficial. put differently, i'm not aware of anyone who'd conclude that it's a great idea to train fasted and fart around without food for another 5-6 hours and then get all yer foodz in for the day. because there'd be no such thing as 'nutrient timing' or 'window'.

anyway, given that many people (unless they do something wacky) eat roughly 3-4 times a day with meals spaced 4-6hrs apart, *worrying* about it is a bit pointless because training will be slotted somewhere in between meals anyhow.

iJ0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iJ0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iJ0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iJ0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iJ0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iJ0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    completely unhelpful comment.

God I would love to eat 1800 something calories a day and be stuffed constantly. Sigh
    Maintaince for me is around 17/1800... and I'm hungry still - all the time. My inner fat kid is a whiny devil.

180 is a lot though for someone coming down- I concure 130-150 is good range to shoot for.... I've also been eating years at night- after 8/9 PM- and I'm still not fat- so I hold the reverse to be moderately true- I'm starving after workouts- so I'm going to eat- my body wants fuel. So I eat. If you aren't really hungry post workout- then don't eat.