Kindguy1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Nutritionist experts please help me :)

Basically, I need to come up with a good research question about Nutrition. It can be anything, but I can't think of a good research method question, to write about.

Any Nutritionist or anyone who knows abit of Nutrition? I really need advice

Really really appreciated if you can help

No Longer Look Like This InItForFitness's Avatar
    InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How about having them research the mythical "no carbohydrates after 6 p.m." theory.
    Always makes for a fun time.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

â–¬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) â–¬

♦Currently full on dad-bod status (minus the dad part)

*NEW TRAINING LOG* ; https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178104781

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Kindguy1990 View Post

Nutritionist experts please help me
    It's still a bit early in the day for the real experts to be posting in this forum. High school generally doesn't let out until about 3:30-4:00 PM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Check out the work of Weston Price. He will give you lots of good ideas.
    …we have not spent the last 65 million or so years finely honing our physiology to watch Oprah. Like it or not, we are the product of a very long process of adaptation to a harsh physical existence, and the past couple centuries of comparative ease and plenty are not enough time to change our genome. We humans are at our best when our existence mirrors, or at least simulates, the one we are still genetically adapted to live. And that is the purpose of exercise. - Mark Rippetoe

plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When I was getting my undergrad I only had two nutrition classes, just basic and advanced nutrition, and during the advanced nutrition class my senior year I considered a sort of nutrition/psychology experiment based on carb cycling and tests/studying. Over the past 10 years I have heard numerous personal accounts of people on low carb diets experiencing mild to sometimes crippling drops in mental acuity. Some said they only noticed it for an hour or two at a time, while others said it lasted sometimes days at a time.

I never bothered with it because for an undergraduate, research projects were never a requirement for me, and I wouldn't have had the ability to control all the elements reliably. For my masters I didn't touch on nutrition much aside from the occasional mention in my metabolism studies. I have always wanted to try it though if I had the means.

Basically what you would need is a couple of months, likely two phases of 8 week blocks. For repetition just get as many participants as possible to partake in the study, and make sure you have an even balance of men/women, and don't vary the age much unless you have a large number of participants and you can group ages together. Gather up several tests that evaluate mental acuity (check your psychology dept, the professors tend to have things like that), have them take at least 2 of the tests per week for the first 8 weeks on a very low carb diet (think keto). Then have them repeat the process on a normal carb intake (~60% total intake). Then post your results and trends.

The other way to do it, take the same setup, except for the first 8 weeks just have them on a normal carb diet with a series of tests and the end of each 2 week period (4 test periods), then for the second phase, have them severly limit their carbs but then at the end of each two weeks, have them do a carb refeed then take the tests either at the end of the refeed day or first thing the next morning.

The idea here is to take the idea of low carb diets and carb cycling, but apply them to mental acuity and test taking ability as opposed to physical training. Here's what would make this very difficult:

Each person must consume the same number of calories of the same food types each day (VERY hard to control).
    Each person must get the same amount of sleep and sleep at the same times each day (this is difficult for almost any adult these days) lack of sleep can really throw off your results.
    You will need a wide variety of mental tests so that people aren't solving based on memory or simply just "getting better at it" -this is simply a resource gathering issue.
    Lastly, you'd likely need at least 10-12 of each sex for your results to really have any merit.

*note: there is a reason why there have been a number of nutrition experiments done in prisons
    Last edited by plateau_max; 11-01-2013 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Extra note
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141149431&p=809424601#post8094246011 - If you think sleep is important

NASM CPT (July 2006)
    NCSA CPT (December 2006)
    BS - Human Biology and Nutrition (May 2011)
    MS - Physiology (May 2013)
    CSCS (July 2013)
    PhD - Physiology (June 2015)

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Ketogenic diets and the futile cycle: energy waste as a hypothesis to (partially) explain recent RCT outcomes.

Now you'll have to do your own work from this point forward.

MitchyDee is on a distinguished road. (+10) MitchyDee is on a distinguished road. (+10) MitchyDee is on a distinguished road. (+10) MitchyDee is on a distinguished road. (+10) MitchyDee is on a distinguished road. (+10) MitchyDee is on a distinguished road. (+10) MitchyDee is on a distinguished road. (+10) MitchyDee is on a distinguished road. (+10) MitchyDee is on a distinguished road. (+10) MitchyDee is on a distinguished road. (+10) MitchyDee is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    It's still a bit early in the day for the real experts to be posting in this forum. High school generally doesn't let out until about 3:30-4:00 PM.
    Hahahahaahaha too true man. I like the 'no carbs after 6' idea though!

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Kindguy1990 View Post
    Basically, I need to come up with a good research question about Nutrition. It can be anything, but I can't think of a good research method question, to write about.

Any Nutritionist or anyone who knows abit of Nutrition? I really need advice

Really really appreciated if you can help
    I have one that I find interesting: Are there health benefits of fasting 16 consecutive hours in one day? If so, what are they?

The Leangains method uses this way of fasting. Some people say it's only preference, some people say there are some health benefits too it.

C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100)
    "Is a calorie really just a calorie"

Meaning do foods have the same impact on body composition as long as calories are set at the same amount...

Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bema will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    3 points!

ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by C-Los View Post
    "Is a calorie really just a calorie"

Meaning do foods have the same impact on body composition as long as calories are set at the same amount...
    For weight loss (or gain), yes -- a calorie is just a calorie. For favorable body composition improvements, macronutrient and micronutrient composition of the diet matters a great deal.
    MMDELAD

ACE Certified Personal Trainer since 2007.

thepowerof140 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thepowerof140 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thepowerof140 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thepowerof140 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thepowerof140 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thepowerof140 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thepowerof140 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thepowerof140 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thepowerof140 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thepowerof140 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thepowerof140 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ELLSKIES View Post
    For weight loss (or gain), yes -- a calorie is just a calorie. For favorable body composition improvements, macronutrient and micronutrient composition of the diet matters a great deal.
    Hmm, a surplus or deficit could be determined by the macro calories.

Protein has a TEF of around 20%, that means 20% of all calories consumed in protein are used to digest it. Assuming your maintenance is 2500 and you could physically eat 700g of pure protein (and only protein) to be 200kcal over maintenance, you would actually end up in a deficit of around 300kcal because of that 20% TEF.

This kind of stuff greatly interests me. Actually, delving further, some Sports Nutritionists have found that calories from animal protein are more efficiently used as energy (around 98%) compared to the likes of legumes (around 70%).

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by thepowerof140 View Post
    Hmm, a surplus or deficit could be determined by the macro calories.

Protein has a TEF of around 20%, that means 20% of all calories consumed in protein are used to digest it. Assuming your maintenance is 2500 and you could physically eat 700g of pure protein (and only protein) to be 200kcal over maintenance, you would actually end up in a deficit of around 300kcal because of that 20% TEF.

This kind of stuff greatly interests me. Actually, delving further, some Sports Nutritionists have found that calories from animal protein are more efficiently used as energy (around 98%) compared to the likes of legumes (around 70%).
    I really hope you don't over analyse your diet like this and it's just for interest sake

ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ELLSKIES is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    I really hope you don't over analyse your diet like this and it's just for interest sake
    Seriously! But more importantly, your "hypothesis" is incorrect. The thermic effect of protein is already factored into the. "4 Kcals per gram" figure. (Protein is actually closer to 6 cals per gram, but we use 4 to account for its thermic effect.) So again, all calories count. For example, when you drink a scoop of whey that has 110 cals listed on the label, you're getting all 110 of those calories. You don't magically lose 20% of those 110 calories. The 20% lost to the thermic effect is ALREADY FACTORED IN.
    Last edited by ELLSKIES; 11-01-2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Bolded for emphasis
    MMDELAD

ACE Certified Personal Trainer since 2007.

Sharkov23 is not very well liked. (-100) Sharkov23 is not very well liked. (-100) Sharkov23 is not very well liked. (-100) Sharkov23 is not very well liked. (-100) Sharkov23 is not very well liked. (-100) Sharkov23 is not very well liked. (-100) Sharkov23 is not very well liked. (-100) Sharkov23 is not very well liked. (-100) Sharkov23 is not very well liked. (-100) Sharkov23 is not very well liked. (-100) Sharkov23 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Jesse_l_g View Post
    Check out the work of Weston Price. He will give you lots of good ideas.
    lool