Taking it Seriously Now.. Cortic's Avatar
    Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

IF + Keto - Fats allowed during the fast?

Hey all. Cutting season so naturally doing keto again this year as I always get great results. However what's new to my lifestyle is IF. My family and I have been following IF (18/6 leangains) for about 7 months now and love the energy and convenience it brings. Since starting my Keto 3 weeks ago I have felt GREAT during the feeding phase and fine first thing in the morning but around 10-12 hours into my fast just feeling really flat, lethargic and "crappy". I have a very active job (physical education) and have never experienced any issues with Keto in the past like I am now.

My question is: would I lose the benefits of IF if I added say 1tbsp coco oil + 1tsp heavy cream to my morning coffee? That would be roughly 8 hours into my fast but I feel those fats would help me get through my days. Appreciate any advice or input cheers.
    Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.

sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sambshep has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You should base your meal timing on personal preference, and if fasting on keto makes you feel crappy I'd suggest that you quit fasting.

xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't see how it would. There are people who practice IF and might eat throughout the day. Veggies and fruit, light protein, coffee, etc. It is usually called an 'undereating phase.'
    "I don't believe you have to be better than everybody else. I believe you have to be better than you ever thought you could be." -Ken Venturi

I wanna get big brah dylanrpxxx's Avatar
    dylanrpxxx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dylanrpxxx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dylanrpxxx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dylanrpxxx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dylanrpxxx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dylanrpxxx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dylanrpxxx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dylanrpxxx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dylanrpxxx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dylanrpxxx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dylanrpxxx is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I think you'd be fine to do that, done IF before, currently doing keto, but I think that'd be ok
    **death metal crew**
    **welding crew**

lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lawrencep93 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I personally find that keto makes it easier to IF.

An idea might be to have MCT oil during your fasted state, that aids in producing ketone bodies.

A fact to note is that I read when Peter Attia did IF for himself he found that if you IF and have one meal per day or in a small feeding window, you go out of keto because of the amount of protein you need to consume.
    Maybe you could try spreading pure protein through out the day, and having a super high fat meal in eating window like pork belly.

Experiment and use what works best for you in relation to gym performance and hunger issues.

Some people take MCT oil before gym and feel great, others take BCAA and some sort of high GI carb, like 10g of super starch.

Taking it Seriously Now.. Cortic's Avatar
    Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yeah I do take my 20g coco oil pre-workout and I perk up and feel great which is why I thought maybe just a small amount of oil 8-12 hours into the fast might help me through my days however in saying that every day that goes past I feel better and better. I'm wondering whether the keto flu is just hanging around for an extended period of time this cycle (3 weeks in).
    Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.

AJL1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AJL1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AJL1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AJL1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AJL1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AJL1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AJL1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AJL1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AJL1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AJL1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AJL1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Keto + IF crew checking in!

The thing you have to remember here is that intermittent fasting is not some law that once committed to you have to follow to a tee; it is a loosely defined meal-timing protocol that suggests eating during an arbitrary period of time. I am not usually hungry when I wake up so I have my first meal anywhere between 11-1 and my last meal around 8pm, however these times are in no way strict. This routine keeps me feeling full and happy.

If you want to have your coconut oil in your coffee because it makes you feel happy and full then DO IT! Does it officially count as IF? Who cares, it depends who's definition you are using. Stop getting hung up on trivial crap and go make some gains!

azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you're following a true If you're supposed to fast for 16-18 hours. Fasting means no calories.

70Klassic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70Klassic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I honestly believe that when doing keto, it doesn't really matter if you fast or not. When the body fasts naturally overnight, it goes into a mild state of ketosis, so although you break the fast early with fats, your body will remain in ketosis.

I feel like fasting is more or less a personal preference, some just prefer to condense meals.