Calvino06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Calvino06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Calvino06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Calvino06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Calvino06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Calvino06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Grad student suffering to find time to work out...suggestions please

Currently a grad student. Knocking out 600 hours of internship till December. Part time job, and working on my thesis this semester. Needless to say, finding time to get in the gym is rough. If I'm lucky I can get in sat and sunday morning for about hour and half each day. I recently just got certified for PT, and don't want to look sloppy when I start training. Any suggestions on the days I can get in (workout plans push/pull days etc.) or similar stories that have helped. I know it sounds like I'm being lazy, but before you judge, wish you could live a week in my shoes to know what I'm going through.

Oh yeah protein: phase 8
    PWO (if i use it):Assault/C4
    Aminos: AminoBuild

Diet: rough, try sticking to chicken & rice, but late night coffee is a must and snacks.

Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I know your feel. Do you have access to a home gym? When I had exams (8 of them), I worked out at home with adjustable dumbbells. Just did reps of sets while cooking, etc. Reviewing. I hope it turns out well for you though!

For now, I'm doing Madcows. It's 3 days a week, sessions are about an hour.

Calvino06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Calvino06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Calvino06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Calvino06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Calvino06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Calvino06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanx buddy
    Originally Posted by Renegadegod View Post
    I know your feel. Do you have access to a home gym? When I had exams (8 of them), I worked out at home with adjustable dumbbells. Just did reps of sets while cooking, etc. Reviewing. I hope it turns out well for you though!

For now, I'm doing Madcows. It's 3 days a week, sessions are about an hour.

Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    No problem. What are you studying?

7rmr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7rmr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7rmr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7rmr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7rmr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7rmr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7rmr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7rmr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7rmr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7rmr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7rmr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do an upper on saturday, and lower on sunday.

Not optimal obviously. But just focus on major lifts and try and preserve your gains until your schedule frees up a bit.

Dost thou even HOIST?! eclipze926's Avatar
    eclipze926 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eclipze926 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eclipze926 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eclipze926 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eclipze926 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eclipze926 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eclipze926 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eclipze926 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eclipze926 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eclipze926 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eclipze926 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Calvino06 View Post
    Currently a grad student. Knocking out 600 hours of internship till December. Part time job, and working on my thesis this semester. Needless to say, finding time to get in the gym is rough. If I'm lucky I can get in sat and sunday morning for about hour and half each day. I recently just got certified for PT, and don't want to look sloppy when I start training. Any suggestions on the days I can get in (workout plans push/pull days etc.) or similar stories that have helped. I know it sounds like I'm being lazy, but before you judge, wish you could live a week in my shoes to know what I'm going through.

Oh yeah protein: phase 8
    PWO (if i use it):Assault/C4
    Aminos: AminoBuild

Diet: rough, try sticking to chicken & rice, but late night coffee is a must and snacks.
    Adjustable dumbbells are great. But you can also get fit through calisthenics. Just another option. There's a book called Convict conditioning it's intense but with a packed schedule like yours it may actually be a great idea. I know what it's like to have no time bring deployed is a huge pain to have a proper diet and time and energy to work out at all. Just keep pushing. And congratz on all the hard work you've put into this!
    D: 385 B: 264 S: 365 #1000 club
    2016 goal - Make it to the gym 4 times a week, and somehow get back bench past 200 lbs

"There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them."

finishing up my Masters in Counseling Higher Education & Student Affairs
    Originally Posted by Renegadegod View Post
    No problem. What are you studying?

Thanks for the tip on the book
    Originally Posted by eclipze926 View Post
    Adjustable dumbbells are great. But you can also get fit through calisthenics. Just another option. There's a book called Convict conditioning it's intense but with a packed schedule like yours it may actually be a great idea. I know what it's like to have no time bring deployed is a huge pain to have a proper diet and time and energy to work out at all. Just keep pushing. And congratz on all the hard work you've put into this!

thefleshlight has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thefleshlight has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thefleshlight has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thefleshlight has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thefleshlight has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thefleshlight has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thefleshlight has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thefleshlight has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thefleshlight has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thefleshlight has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thefleshlight has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Make time or continue with the "woe is me" mentality.
    Official Supp. Misc Beer Policeman

Fancy a hook to your gabber m8?

Meatie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Meatie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Meatie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Meatie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Meatie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Meatie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Meatie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Meatie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Meatie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Meatie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Meatie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    for a guy getting a PhD in counseling I'd figure you'd be able to counsel yourself on the matter.
    6 scoops of xf up2.0 a day

kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by thefleshlight View Post
    Originally Posted by Meatie View Post
    for a guy getting a PhD in counseling I'd figure you'd be able to counsel yourself on the matter.
    I tend to agree with these sentiments.
    Completed Logs & Reviews:
    Clear Muscle Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161906833&p=1244983053#post1244983053

"Now that you've got a basic degree of strength you can now proceed with success onto a bodybuilding type program - which I am not experienced in providing. You've exceeded what I focus on, and that is beginner strength gains." - Mark Rippetoe

lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucasrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you absolutely can not find time to hit a gym, just go Herschel Walker style - do 1000 push-ups and 3000 sit-ups each day - just do them while you're studying... There is a time to hit the gym and there is a time to study and prepare yourself for the rest of your life. During those times you do what you can - if it is a pile of push-ups, sit-ups and body squats, so be it. I'd take another look at your schedule and see if you can move anything around to make it work - get up an hour earlier? If not, you'll have to do what you can for the next few months.
    http://www.sixpacksmackdown.com
    Twitter: @lucasrayd

Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Are you honestly saying you don't have a single moment to spare during the week, and you are fully booked with no breaks? If working out is something you value, then you'll find time for it. I have a hard time believing you don't have 2-4 hours to spare during the week on top of the time you're spending on weekends working out. This would allow you to get a fairly decent 3-day or 4-day workout in.

Kinda still lifts Valhallabound86's Avatar
    Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    5x5 training 3x a week. Full body work outs. 3h/week is nothing.

mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountaineer16 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm currently in law school at the University of Alabama, so I certainly feel the pain of a busy schedule. However, working out was not something I was gonna give up. For me, I wake up at 5am to be at the gym when it opens at 5:30, get my workout in, go home and get ready for my day that starts at 7:30.

I find that going early in the morning makes my day feel longer, so it actually makes my workload feel lighter.

Hope this helps.

Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post
    I tend to agree with these sentiments.
    As do I, I went to grad school while working full time and bla bla bla. I have news for you, it is only going to get worse, I wish I had that kind of freedom and spare time now. I had the same mind set as you then though, looking back now I have to laugh. As others have said, work in those 3 days a week and get it done. Don't waste time at the gym, get in and out in an hour. It will make you feel better and help with your studies. You have to either do it early in the morning or late at night to avoid conflicts with your busy day.

linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I go three times a week at 6 am. Totals up to about 3 hours. I don't know your schedule but three hours doesn't take much time in the scope of things. Best of lucks with your schooling, that should be your priority!

uh...masters not phd...and thats the thing about counseling...you get paid to do nothing
    Originally Posted by Meatie View Post

Thanks for the advice
    Originally Posted by lucasrd View Post
    If you absolutely can not find time to hit a gym, just go Herschel Walker style - do 1000 push-ups and 3000 sit-ups each day - just do them while you're studying... There is a time to hit the gym and there is a time to study and prepare yourself for the rest of your life. During those times you do what you can - if it is a pile of push-ups, sit-ups and body squats, so be it. I'd take another look at your schedule and see if you can move anything around to make it work - get up an hour earlier? If not, you'll have to do what you can for the next few months.

I do have sat and saturday mornings which are the days I go...its my so called "therapy" Monday through friday im stacked with internship hours starting at 7 in the morn till 3 or 5 depending on the day, and monday-thursday i have class till 10 or 9 pm depending on the day. Fridays i have intern and then work till 1030 at night. Thats my typical m-f. Sat - sunday i can get in the gym...start work at 9, get off at 5 ... and then work on my thesis...anytime during the week that i have free i have to work on my thesis...this is not a matter of me being lazy, im just trying to prioritize my time, and in doing so, the gym is being cut out, so Im asking for advice. Like i said in my original post, its easy to judge me and call me lazy, but if you lived one week doing what i do, i think you would have a different perspective
    Originally Posted by Yodums View Post
    Are you honestly saying you don't have a single moment to spare during the week, and you are fully booked with no breaks? If working out is something you value, then you'll find time for it. I have a hard time believing you don't have 2-4 hours to spare during the week on top of the time you're spending on weekends working out. This would allow you to get a fairly decent 3-day or 4-day workout in.

positive advice always helps...but I usually stay up till about 1230-1 in the morning working on my thesis, so yes i guess not waking up is being lazy, but for about 2 weeks i tried running on 4-5 hours a sleep a night and eventually it caught up to me and i got real sick. Wasnt a cold/flu the Doc simply called it exhaustion. I am morning person when it comes to working out, but if anything ive replaced that time with working on my thesis/hw/projects.
    Originally Posted by mountaineer16 View Post
    I'm currently in law school at the University of Alabama, so I certainly feel the pain of a busy schedule. However, working out was not something I was gonna give up. For me, I wake up at 5am to be at the gym when it opens at 5:30, get my workout in, go home and get ready for my day that starts at 7:30.

I find that going early in the morning makes my day feel longer, so it actually makes my workload feel lighter.

Hope this helps.

Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    positive advice always helps...but I usually stay up till about 1230-1 in the morning working on my thesis, so yes i guess not waking up is being lazy, but for about 2 weeks i tried running on 4-5 hours a sleep a night and eventually it caught up to me and i got real sick. Wasnt a cold/flu the Doc simply called it exhaustion. I am morning person when it comes to working out, but if anything ive replaced that time with working on my thesis/hw/projects.
    Good luck with everything! I would agree with some posters here. If you really have a crunch period where you cannot dedicate gym time, then do what lucasdr said. It may not be the same as a full workout but you can still get soem strength and particularily endurance benefits. That is, if this lack of time is only temporary.

And thats the thing i am struggling with most is that this is temporary....i cant wrap my head around that in december ill have more time, because in the here and now, this time away from the gym is killing me, but i know i cant sacrifice my thesis time as well. oh well hopefully it will be worth it in the end
    Originally Posted by Danielfp View Post
    Good luck with everything! I would agree with some posters here. If you really have a crunch period where you cannot dedicate gym time, then do what lucasdr said. It may not be the same as a full workout but you can still get soem strength and particularily endurance benefits. That is, if this lack of time is only temporary.

Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danielfp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    And thats the thing i am struggling with most is that this is temporary....i cant wrap my head around that in december ill have more time, because in the here and now, this time away from the gym is killing me, but i know i cant sacrifice my thesis time as well. oh well hopefully it will be worth it in the end
    It will be. Here's the thing, you have to think, which is more urgent or more important at the moment. I think you can say your thesis so its natural to dedicate more resources. However, don't make the mistake many of do and forget about fitness. It seems you haven't so that's great! If you really need to hit the gym try doing a workout that will economical time-wise ( I dont know stronglifts maybe? I dont have many examples but you get the point.) Good luck your dedication shows so Im sure youll stick well with it.

Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by thefleshlight View Post
    This. It only gets worse OP. I do upper/lower on saturday/sunday and usually get one lift in during the week. It works better than you think

Originally Posted by Mr.Cooper69 View Post
    This. It only gets worse OP. I do upper/lower on saturday/sunday and usually get one lift in during the week. It works better than you think
    what would your typical sat/sun look like...i have resorted to push/pull days, but it excludes legs by doing it that way

Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.Cooper69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    what would your typical sat/sun look like...i have resorted to push/pull days, but it excludes legs by doing it that way
    Upper:

Incline Bench x 3-4
    Dips x 3
    Barbell Row x 3
    Weighted Pullups x 4
    Curls/Tricep Supersets

Lower:

I can't squat or deadlift due to my back, but if I could, that would be at the core + calf work