BuiltMomTough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weight/Body Fat Range for Competing in Bikini vs Figure

Hi,
    I've been trying to find a good article on this and am having troubles. I am interested in competing in the future in bikini or figure but I would like to know what weight/body fat range is ideal for both these competitions. I've read that figure athletes usually have a bodyfat percentage of 9-15%. Is it the same for bikini or higher?

I'm 5'4- what is a good weight to aim for- competition and off season?

Can anyone explain in Lamen's terms the diff between bikini and figure and training for them?

Thanks.

DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's my understanding that bikini and figure competitors come in around 8% - 13%, although there are exceptions.

Bikini Competitor Candice Perfect is 5'4" and 115 lbs. She claims to maintain her weight year round
    Figure Competitor Megan Donnelson is 5'4" and 130-135 (Off-Season), 122-125 (Contest)

Figure competitors have quite a bit more muscle, especially in the upper body. Both figure and bikini require years of training. I'd argue the training is much the same, and differs mostly in intensity and length of time (figure requires probably(at least?) a year or more of training than bikini does).

I'd encourage you to read competitors' blogs online, and actually go to a competition. MegDaig is a 5'6" figure competitor on here. You can check out her journal here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=139228463

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DiannaPrince View Post
    It's my understanding that bikini and figure competitors come in around 8% - 13%, although there are exceptions.

Bikini Competitor Candice Perfect is 5'4" and 115 lbs. She claims to maintain her weight year round
    Figure Competitor Megan Donnelson is 5'4" and 130-135 (Off-Season), 122-125 (Contest)

Figure competitors have quite a bit more muscle, especially in the upper body. Both figure and bikini require years of training. I'd argue the training is much the same, and differs mostly in intensity and length of time (figure requires probably(at least?) a year or more of training than bikini does).

I'd encourage you to read competitors' blogs online, and actually go to a competition. MegDaig is a 5'6" figure competitor on here. You can check out her journal here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=139228463
    Shout out!!

I come in at about 135# on stage...won't mention where I land in the off season

My first show I was about 130# but way too scrawny.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiannaPrince will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I will freely admit that I lurk the journal section frequently. My comments are either non-existent or super-lame like, "looking great!", "great stats!", and "I wish I could eat your dinner. Nom nom nom."

Nevertheless, looking good Meg!

EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    There's no real set #, and BF calculations aren't even really accurate. It should be about training for a look, not a #. Bikini carries less muscle than figure as a general rule.

srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BuiltMomTough View Post
    Hi,
    I've been trying to find a good article on this and am having troubles. I am interested in competing in the future in bikini or figure but I would like to know what weight/body fat range is ideal for both these competitions. I've read that figure athletes usually have a bodyfat percentage of 9-15%. Is it the same for bikini or higher?

I'm 5'4- what is a good weight to aim for- competition and off season?

Can anyone explain in Lamen's terms the diff between bikini and figure and training for them?

Thanks.
    There's no specific weight or body fat for either... It's all about how y ou look.

Figure is leaner and more muscle... Bikini is a softer, less dry, less hard look

I'm 5'5 and compete in figure at 120 and my bikini weights between 125-128

Ideally, you should try and stay within10lbs of your contest weight
    IFBB Bikini Pro
    NFPT & NESTA Certified Personal Trainer
    CEO BamBody Nutrition
    Official Formutech Nutrition Athlete
    Www.formutechnutrition.com

joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is great info, thanks everyone! Is it easy to go between Figure and Bikini?
    Instagram: @joyvilla
    Twitter: @joy_villa
    www.joyvilla.com

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by joyvilla11 View Post
    This is great info, thanks everyone! Is it easy to go between Figure and Bikini?
    No, figure means more muscle mass, and focus on overall muscle. You'd have to build muscle for figure, then wait until you lose some if you wanted to do bikini. Bikini is more glute, leg, and delt focused rather than worrying about back/lats which does matter in figure. Plus the posing is completely different. Pick one that you like more, and commit to that one.

Watch some competitions from both categories on youtube, and you'll see there's a significant difference in the two.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by LunaLifts View Post
    No, figure means more muscle mass, and focus on overall muscle. You'd have to build muscle for figure, then wait until you lose some if you wanted to do bikini. Bikini is more glute, leg, and delt focused rather than worrying about back/lats which does matter in figure. Plus the posing is completely different. Pick one that you like more, and commit to that one.

Watch some competitions from both categories on youtube, and you'll see there's a significant difference in the two.
    Just to add:

Bikini is about shape, they are not looking for big muscle or big delts, but it is an overall shape. They don't even want big glutes, but shapely glutes. They want lines and definition, but not stiation or mass. Body fat is going to depend on the shape a person has. Posing is sassy, can sometimes be sexy, and is meant to emphasis shape over mass. This looks is softer and meant to appeal to mainstream, think Sports Illustrated.

Figure wants mass with shape, definition and leanness, bodering on striations. Its a hard dry look with posing that is meant to show shape as well as mass. This is less of a mainstream look for most. Think Ava Cowen or Nicole Wilkins as the best known names.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joyvilla11 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Fantastic. I forgot to thank you, as I figured out I love Bikini and will be competing July 22! Commitment is key, you are so right. I adore the look of Figure girls off season especially, but I noticed the IFBB pro Bikini girls actually carry quite a bit more muscle even on top than the novice, 'skinny' bikini comp look. THAT'S what I love! The "Wonder Woman/Storm" Powerful Ass Kicking sexy female look! I'm gonna get mine. :-)

Originally Posted by LunaLifts View Post

Instagram: @joyvilla
    Twitter: @joy_villa
    www.joyvilla.com