joshbm1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Should i go for Physique or Bodybuilding ?

Hey all,

So i've been training hard for about 3.5 years now and have been on a clean bulk for about 14 months now going from 177 at 12% bf to 205 at 15% body as seen in these recent (poorly lit) pictures. I don't have a recent leg shot but my quads measure to 26.5" right now and i train them very hard. I'm aiming to compete in my first show Fall of 2014 while continuing my bulk through March 2014 to try and get to 215 pounds. I'm curious if i should go for physique or bodybuilding, i'd like to go with middleweight bodybuilding but i'm not sure having never competed before. Curious if i have the frame for bodybuilding or physique.

Any advice would be great particularly from any middleweight competitors out there!

~josh
    Attached Images

justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500)
    Just diet down and get in shape, you can decide then.
    5'10 is too tall for a middleweight.

soheil25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soheil25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soheil25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soheil25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soheil25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soheil25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soheil25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soheil25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soheil25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soheil25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soheil25 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    yea lower your body fat and see first how u look

Originally Posted by justsojoe View Post
    Just diet down and get in shape, you can decide then.
    5'10 is too tall for a middleweight.
    Darn, well that is a bummer, so should i continue my bulk then to keep gaining muscle mass?

justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500) justsojoe is not very helpful. (-500)
    You can keep gaining muscle mass without getting fat as well.
    You only need about 300 cals over maintenance to gain size but keep an eye on your fat levels while you go.

I never understand bulking when all you have to do is diet it all off again.
    If you cant see your abs, you're not a bodybuilder.

You can keep gaining muscle mass without getting fat as well.
    You only need about 300 cals over maintenance to gain size but keep an eye on your fat levels while you go.

I never understand bulking when all you have to do is diet it all off again.
    If you cant see your abs, you're not a bodybuilder.
    Ok wow, not true. I consider myself a bodybuilder, i had my abs when i was dieted down, i train like a bodybuilder, and i diet like one. Bulking and cutting cycles are part of the sport, i'm sorry my abs aren't very visual right now but i'm gaining massive amounts of strength and muscle mass and i'm very proud of that, my abs will come back when i diet back down again to see my great progress.

wakeking151 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you could cut and do physique but you dont have a very wide back which is important in both but you can get away with better in physique. Also it might be the picture but your chest looks uneven, work on creating symmetry through out your body...also very important in both.

theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would say you could do either no matter what, the end result is fairly close anyway. but to be honest your pictures just don't do your physique justice one way or the other. The camera angle on the back double bicep makes it difficult to judge and the front relaxed isn't the best pose to judge without being a full body picture taking your legs into consideration. I would agree with other comments to diet down a bit to see where you are at, I'm in the same boat and to be honest have learnt that keeping bodyfat closer to 10 to 12 percent if your looking to compete will do you favors in the long run. It's something I need to do myself
    lifetime natural, working as hard as I possibly can day in an day out

theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10) theblaztoo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    With that being said I will add that guys comment that if you don't have visible abs your not a bodybuilder is off basis and too generic. There are many people who are comfortable enough to go from no visible abs to show condition and bring an awesome package. Bodybuilding is defined by a lifestyle and not a bodyfat percentage.

Yeah i don't have a nice camera, it's my mac's can tilted up from a countertop. My chest isn't uneven, and here is a more straight back shot i took that day.
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by wakeking151 View Post
    you could cut and do physique but you dont have a very wide back which is important in both but you can get away with better in physique. Also it might be the picture but your chest looks uneven, work on creating symmetry through out your body...also very important in both.
    I put a straight back photo up, i'd like to think my back is one of my stronger points. Still think it's not wide? I guess i'm looking to do bodybuilding, but the tips help and are appreciated.

Originally Posted by joshbm1 View Post
    Ok wow, not true. I consider myself a bodybuilder, i had my abs when i was dieted down, i train like a bodybuilder, and i diet like one. Bulking and cutting cycles are part of the sport, i'm sorry my abs aren't very visual right now but i'm gaining massive amounts of strength and muscle mass and i'm very proud of that, my abs will come back when i diet back down again to see my great progress.
    Whats not true about my statement?
    Bulking and cutting cycles are part of the sport because people dont have enough discipline to stay in shape, its the lazy way to gain size.
    Why blow up like a balloon to have to suffer and lose some of the muscle gained with a spartan diet for months on end?
    A point to note is that everytime you go and take a dump, thats all the food you ate the day before that your body didnt need.
    Good rule of thumb to remember, if you are always on the toilet you are eating too much.
    Good luck with your goals.

Joshua2035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshua2035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshua2035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshua2035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshua2035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshua2035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshua2035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshua2035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshua2035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshua2035 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joshua2035 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Too hard to tell what category you would fit best. Drop bodyfat then make the call

Originally Posted by Joshua2035 View Post
    Too hard to tell what category you would fit best. Drop bodyfat then make the call
    Yeah that seems to be the common suggestion, my bulk ends in January so i'll start my cutting diet then. I really appreciate the tips guys thank you. I was told me shoulders and back may be to wide for physique, and that i'm to tall for middleweight bodybuilding, and i know i don't have the mass yet to compete in light heavy, so i just feel like im in a limbo state right now...

big lew is just really nice. (+1000) big lew is just really nice. (+1000) big lew is just really nice. (+1000) big lew is just really nice. (+1000) big lew is just really nice. (+1000) big lew is just really nice. (+1000) big lew is just really nice. (+1000) big lew is just really nice. (+1000) big lew is just really nice. (+1000) big lew is just really nice. (+1000) big lew is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey all,

So i've been training hard for about 3.5 years now and have been on a clean bulk for about 14 months now going from 177 at 12% bf to 205 at 15% body as seen in these recent (poorly lit) pictures. I don't have a recent leg shot but my quads measure to 26.5" right now and i train them very hard. I'm aiming to compete in my first show Fall of 2014 while continuing my bulk through March 2014 to try and get to 215 pounds. I'm curious if i should go for physique or bodybuilding, i'd like to go with middleweight bodybuilding but i'm not sure having never competed before. Curious if i have the frame for bodybuilding or physique.

Any advice would be great particularly from any middleweight competitors out there!

~josh
    How do the wheels look?
    Max Fit Consulting
    Contest Prep Coaching

Certified Personal Trainer- NCSF
    Sports Nutrition -NCSF
    Certified Personal Trainer- AFFA

wakeking151 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I put a straight back photo up, i'd like to think my back is one of my stronger points. Still think it's not wide? I guess i'm looking to do bodybuilding, but the tips help and are appreciated.
    In comparison to the rest of your upper body i do think your back could be wider. Its nothing against you its something alot of people who compete have to deal with. it helps give a good v tapper if your waist isnt that small. This is something i do cas my waist doesnt get to small so the wider your back is the better the v tapper will be.

uberagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey all,

~josh
    I say train for bodybuilding, make a routine, practice your poses. Physique is getting extremely popular and I feel like it's an easy way to get on stage... Most smaller regional shows anymore you'll have better chance in bodybuilding just because the competition is less. Plus all the leg work is not appreciated in physique and I feel bodybuilding needs more attention!

As for your pics start your cut in January, slowly reduce calories and increase cardio, once the abs come in give us an update an we can help dial you in! It will be hard to determind symmetry and weak points unless you are leaner. My off season is around 10% body fat to keep tabs on muscle separation then Cut between 4-6% in season to try to work on striation and making sure I know how my body will react contest day as far as fullness and striation. Jut my second year competing this oct but you learn a lot every show! Stay motivated and just get the first few shows under your belt. Good luck!

Originally Posted by uberagent View Post
    I say train for bodybuilding, make a routine, practice your poses. Physique is getting extremely popular and I feel like it's an easy way to get on stage... Most smaller regional shows anymore you'll have better chance in bodybuilding just because the competition is less. Plus all the leg work is not appreciated in physique and I feel bodybuilding needs more attention!

As for your pics start your cut in January, slowly reduce calories and increase cardio, once the abs come in give us an update an we can help dial you in! It will be hard to determind symmetry and weak points unless you are leaner. My off season is around 10% body fat to keep tabs on muscle separation then Cut between 4-6% in season to try to work on striation and making sure I know how my body will react contest day as far as fullness and striation. Jut my second year competing this oct but you learn a lot every show! Stay motivated and just get the first few shows under your belt. Good luck!
    Thanks for the tip man, yeah we'll see what happens when i diet down and i'll throw up some pics.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm from the old school from years ago.
    There never at one time was a separate categories other than weight or height classes when you competed on stage.
    Physique and bodybuilding comps were one in the same.
    I don't understand it at all with men.
    Women i can.
    Get into the novice division of the BB contest and get your feet wet and place where ever you place.
    It will be a great learning experience and let you know where you stand.
    Either you will be discouraged and quit or this will light a fire under your ass to hit it even harder.
    It takes many years of hard work and dedication to even be a competitive competitor let alone an over all champion.
    Good luck to you.

mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrusa85 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    There never at one time was a separate categories other than weight or height classes when you competed on stage.
    Women i can.
    Get into the novice division of the BB contest and get your feet wet and place where ever you place.
    Either you will be discouraged and quit or this will light a fire under your ass to hit it even harder.
    It takes many years of hard work and dedication to even be a competitive competitor let alone an over all champion.
    Good luck to you.
    Agreed.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Women i can.
    Good luck to you.
    Thanks bud, yeah i think i'm going to go for bodybuilding, i spend way to much time working on my lower half to cover it up with some shorts. I'm just going to keep the size coming on and start cutting down in January or February depending on where i'm at. I appreciate the tips guys, i'm going to shoot for NPC Utah middleweight 2014.

Here are a few more pictures, i apologize for the lighting it's the best i have right now. Legs aren't shaved and i'm as white as a ghost right now haha.
    Attached Images

damian2611 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damian2611 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damian2611 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damian2611 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damian2611 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damian2611 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damian2611 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damian2611 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damian2611 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damian2611 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damian2611 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You look great bro. Keep cutting down.., you know you can enter TWO decisions right? It's called a crossover. Just a thought

furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Whats not true about my statement?
    Bulking and cutting cycles are part of the sport because people dont have enough discipline to stay in shape, its the lazy way to gain size.
    Why blow up like a balloon to have to suffer and lose some of the muscle gained with a spartan diet for months on end?
    A point to note is that everytime you go and take a dump, thats all the food you ate the day before that your body didnt need.
    Good rule of thumb to remember, if you are always on the toilet you are eating too much.
    Good luck with your goals.

Originally Posted by furyhockey View Post
    Haha agreed....

Agreed

KnowstheSky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KnowstheSky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KnowstheSky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KnowstheSky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KnowstheSky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KnowstheSky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KnowstheSky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KnowstheSky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KnowstheSky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KnowstheSky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KnowstheSky has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yeah ditto!
    The Best is Yet to Come!

Stev-O will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stev-O will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stev-O will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stev-O will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stev-O will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stev-O will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stev-O will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stev-O will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stev-O will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stev-O will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stev-O will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by damian2611 View Post
    You look great bro. Keep cutting down.., you know you can enter TWO decisions right? It's called a crossover. Just a thought
    This is interesting. I didn't know that was an option.

But yea, I agree with what everyone else said pretty much. Cut down and then decide what fits best.

Care to elaborate?