alevar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alevar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alevar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alevar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alevar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alevar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alevar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alevar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alevar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alevar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alevar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

olive oil for cooking, how do you calculate the calories

Just out of curiosity:

If I'm frying somethin in olive oil, of course I add the cals/macros in the olive oil to the total amount of the completed dish, but should I count the ENTIRE cals/macro of the olive oil?
    Since, I was thinking, most of it is not eaten but it remains in the pan..

Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by alevar View Post
    Just out of curiosity:

If I'm frying somethin in olive oil, of course I add the cals/macros in the olive oil to the total amount of the completed dish, but should I count the ENTIRE cals/macro of the olive oil?
    Use common sense... If there is still in the pan you didn't eat all of it... I count 70% of the oil I use to be safe and realist.

Registered User ChaoticReignPbt's Avatar
    ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Olive oil isn't intended for frying. It's really more of a topping to finish a meal. Use a cooking oil intended for higher heat such as coconut oil.

But to answer your question...I always lean a little cautious and count 70-80% like the poster above.

God Bless You, Mami Robsolutely's Avatar
    Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by alevar View Post
    Then you're using too much oil. I assume you are sauteeing and not shallow-frying in a 1/2-inch of oil? If that's the case, then log whatever you add to the pan. As long as you're not cooking a single egg in a 14-inch pan, with a ton of wasted surface area, then the oil you added should mostly end up in/on your food.

Originally Posted by ChaoticReignPbt View Post
    Olive oil isn't intended for frying. It's really more of a topping to finish a meal. Use a cooking oil intended for higher heat such as coconut oil.
    A common misconception.

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil = No Such Thing
    Virgin Coconut Oil = 350 F Smoke Point

Unrefined Extra Virgin Olive Oil = 320 F Smoke Point
    Virgin Olive Oil = Approx. 430 F Smoke Point
    Extra Light Olive Oil = 468 F Smoke Point

ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChaoticReignPbt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Robsolutely View Post
    Then you're using too much oil. I assume you are sauteeing and not shallow-frying in a 1/2-inch of oil? If that's the case, then log whatever you add to the pan. As long as you're not cooking a single egg in a 14-inch pan, with a ton of wasted surface area, then the oil you added should mostly end up in/on your food.

A common misconception.

Interesting. I've definitely heard a lot of contradictory information regarding the smoke point on olive oil. I guess it will vary depending on the particular oil you're working with. I usually do all my cooking with refined coconut oil intended for high heat. I've never really explored some of the other brands of olive oil.

Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ChaoticReignPbt View Post
    refined coconut oil
    Forgot to list Refined Coconut Oil, in which you are getting an approximate 425 F Smoke Point.

I stay away from refined coconut oil since it is bleached and deodorized due to high heat processing, giving it less aroma/flavor. It may also be partially hydrogenated, which means it contains trans fats to help manipulate a higher smoke point.

patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patroclus32 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    mind = blown. I've been counting the oil 100% for years.
    500lb deadlift crew

michaels22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaels22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaels22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaels22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaels22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaels22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaels22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaels22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaels22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaels22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) michaels22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you want to get really technical-- weigh your meat and weigh the oil prior to cooking. Then, weigh your meat after cooking while trying to keep in mind the lost liquid due to cooking. Say, if you cook 4 oz. of chicken in an oiled pan and it weighs 3.5 oz, your chicken likely reduced to 3 oz, but gained .5 oz of weight due to olive oil. Thus, your consumption would be .5 oz, or roughly 1 tbsp of OO.

It's so difficult though, I don't want to be one of "those guys" who says, don't worry brah it's too tough to do... but it really is hard. One method is to calculate 80-90% for cutting and less for bulking, dependent upon how much of a stickler you are. Another could be to weigh olive oil prior to cooking, try to pay attention to any that is burned off, and then use a napkin to wipe the residue and then weigh the napkin. Sounds really OCD though.

cubaboymatt1316 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cubaboymatt1316 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cubaboymatt1316 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cubaboymatt1316 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cubaboymatt1316 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cubaboymatt1316 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cubaboymatt1316 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cubaboymatt1316 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cubaboymatt1316 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cubaboymatt1316 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cubaboymatt1316 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Ever think about using an olive oil mister? Should be 5-10 calories worth for a quick spray (akin to Pam or other cooking oil spray)

MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A common misconception.

Smoking point is of secondary importance, chemical composition is more important. More saturation = very stable = extremely resistant to oxidation, even at high temperatures.

Thus, coconut oil (92% saturated fat) should be preferred, or other chemically stable fats for that matter. This is why vegetable oils aren't ideal for cooking, most of them are rich in linoleic acid, which is a polyunsaturated fat, which is chemically very unstable.

Originally Posted by MichielN View Post
    Smoking point is of secondary importance, chemical composition is more important. More saturation = very stable = extremely resistant to oxidation, even at high temperatures.

Thus, coconut oil (92% saturated fat) should be preferred, or other chemically stable fats for that matter. This is why vegetable oils aren't ideal for cooking, most of them are rich in linoleic acid, which is a polyunsaturated fat, which is chemically very unstable.
    In professional kitchens, we use blended oil (75% Canola / 25% EVOO), Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or regular Olive Oil 99.9% of the time for sauteeing, sweating, and searing. Some kitchens use grapeseed, soybean, or plain canola. But I've never seen coconut oil used for high heat cooking in a professional kitchen... Never. It just doesn't make sense to pay a premium for something that matters little in the end. You're cooking off a ton of that flavor, especially if using the refined version, which may contain trans fats.

Also, in a high turnaround environment like a professional kitchen, normal oxidation worries of cooking oils are of secondary importance vs. smoke point, price, and flavor. We don't leave bottles of opened oil sitting on the shelves for over a year.
    Last edited by Robsolutely; 10-22-2013 at 11:06 AM.

MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MichielN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I don't care about what they do in professional kitchens, I care about good health and potential health risks.

cldillmann1 is just really nice. (+1000) cldillmann1 is just really nice. (+1000) cldillmann1 is just really nice. (+1000) cldillmann1 is just really nice. (+1000) cldillmann1 is just really nice. (+1000) cldillmann1 is just really nice. (+1000) cldillmann1 is just really nice. (+1000) cldillmann1 is just really nice. (+1000) cldillmann1 is just really nice. (+1000) cldillmann1 is just really nice. (+1000) cldillmann1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i count 100% if I cook food in it. even though i know some is left in the pan. Then if i use Olive oil spray i dont count it so it probably balances out. Theres no point in being OCD over it.
    Is wine not an essential macro?

Huge avi *******

"The gears will spin and the wheels they’ll turn. As long as I give my fire fuel to burn."

DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DAaaMan64 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For those suggesting the spray, this is minor but generally 1 second of spraying is around 7 calories. I don't have 50 posts, so I can't source, but just myfitnesspal PAM spray.

I don't care about what they do in professional kitchens, I care about good health and potential health risks.
    No need to worry so much about minor and inconsequential things, unless you're regularly cooking with a partially hydrogenated or trans fat laden oil.

Are you saying that refined coconut oil is healthier for you than standard olive oil?
    Last edited by Robsolutely; 10-22-2013 at 12:27 PM.

No need to worry so much about minor and inconsequential things, unless you're regularly cooking with a trans fat laden oil, such as refined coconut oil.

Are you saying that refined coconut oil is healthier for you than standard olive oil?
    This varies from brand to brand. There are plenty of refined organic coconut oils that are not hydrogenated.

Edited for accuracy. Btw, the smoke point is still lower than olive oil for that variety of coconut oil you are referencing.

No need to worry so much about minor and inconsequential things, unless you're regularly cooking with a partially hydrogenated or trans fat laden oil.

Many vegetable oils are way too high in unsaturated (especially polyunsaturated) fats, which destabilize cell membranes, whereas cell membrane stability is vital for proper cell functioning and protection. Excessive (poly)unsaturated fat consumption is quite a health risk.

Perhaps you should start thinking about the little things, often it's the details that matter.

And, generally, calling foods healthy or unhealthy outside the context of total diet and lifestyle is fallacious.

There is nothing wrong with refined coconut oil, it loses some of its smell and taste and perhaps antioxidants, but who cares. Fatty acid composition doesn't change. Unless of course they go full retard and hydrogenate an oil that is 92% saturated. But this doesn't happen per se.

Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OP consider not counting your cooking fats at all, as long as you stay consistent and either count them all the time or never do at all and your still hitting your weight loss/gain targets your fine. I also dont count condiments or green veges just makes life easier and unless your getting down to sub 8% whats the point?

Many vegetable oils are way too high in unsaturated (especially polyunsaturated) fats, which destabilize cell membranes, whereas cell membrane stability is vital for proper cell functioning and protection. Excessive (poly)unsaturated fat consumption is quite a health risk.

Perhaps you should start thinking about the little things, often it's the details that matter.

And, generally, calling foods healthy or unhealthy outside the context of total diet and lifestyle is fallacious.

There is nothing wrong with refined coconut oil, it loses some of its smell and taste and perhaps antioxidants, but who cares. Fatty acid composition doesn't change. Unless of course they go full retard and hydrogenate an oil that is 92% saturated. But this doesn't happen per se.
    You are severely misinformed. Processed/Hydrogenated fats are the enemy. And they can come in all forms, whether unsaturated mono or poly, or plain saturated. Omega 3 is a polyunsatured fat. According to your logic, we should avoid it entirely. Especially the recommended dose of 2-3 g a day.

Some whole foods rich in polyunsaturated fat: walnuts, sunflower seeds, edamame, corn, mackerel, sardines, herring, salmon, anchovies, flaxseed, and in lesser amounts green leafy vegetables. Try convincing a nutritionist or anyone with a clue that those foods are "harmful" to your health, as you say.