Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

How can I get rid of this physique?

Hi,

I'm 23 and i'm sick to death of being skinny fat. I have fairly thin arms but a gut and a double chin, also I have wide hips and skinny legs. Basically I have **** genetics. Pics are at the bottom.

Right now I'm 83KG and 6'1. Don't know my BF but I'm guessing 20% plus.

In order to start getting in shape I've done all the common sense **** like cutting alcohol, fizzy drinks, snacks, big meals full of carbs at night, skipping meals during the day etc, but I really want to know if the program I will type below is going to help me.
    The PT at the gym has given me this 3 times a week program to get me started:-

Every time I go in I do cross trainer for 10 mins to warmup, then:-

DAY 1:-
    Push session 1:
    Sit down squats - 4 sets of 15
    Forward Lunges - 4 sets of 12

DB Chest press - 3 sets of 12
    Cable chest fly - 3 sets of 10

BB Shoulder press - 3 sets of 10
    DB side raise - 3 sets of 10

Tricep dips, 3 sets of 8.

DAY 2:-
    Pull session 2:
    Deadlifts - 4 sets of 10
    Glute bridge - 4 sets of 10

Assisted pullups - 3 sets of 10
    Dumbell high row - 3 sets of 10

Seated row - 3 sets of 10
    Cable reverse fly - 3 sets of 10

BB bicep curl - 3 sets of 8

DAY 3:-
    Circuit:
    3 sets of all the below (ranging from 10-20 reps each)

SD Jump squats
    Pressups
    Mountain climbers
    Boot leg squats
    Tricep dips
    Front plank
    Surrender lunges
    Burpees

Then some ball exercises for core.

I'm fairly clueless. I have researched macros, when I should eat and the nature of meals. I was doing cardio 3 times a week but got shin splints so had to stop running, I still cycle though 13-15 miles each time.

Is there any way that I can beat my genetics and get in proportion within 6 months to a year? ATM I'm eating under my daily maintenence. I eat around 1800 cals per day according to MFP and I've already lost half a stone, but I'm not sure whether I should bulk or cut as I'm clearly not just skinny but also podgy.

Any tips would be great, cheers.
    Attached Images

BloodBank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm in the exactly same situation as you, a bit fatter though. You can read my thread if you want to. I'm gonna cut all the fat to start with because I couldn't stand becoming even fatter. Was thinking of cutting until I'm pleased and then do a slow clean bulk while trying to stay relatively clean. Hope things work out for you! You're not alone.....

PLbeast is not very well liked. (-100) PLbeast is not very well liked. (-100) PLbeast is not very well liked. (-100) PLbeast is not very well liked. (-100) PLbeast is not very well liked. (-100) PLbeast is not very well liked. (-100) PLbeast is not very well liked. (-100) PLbeast is not very well liked. (-100) PLbeast is not very well liked. (-100) PLbeast is not very well liked. (-100) PLbeast is not very well liked. (-100)
    Too much volume in my opinion.i recommend reading all pros begginer in the workout programs section.
    And to lose fat you must track yor calories and be in a deficit.to find out how many calories you burn google calorie calculator and find out how much you burn once you do that remove 500 calories or more and that would be your deficit.if you don't lose weight within 2 weeks reduce the calories more.
    Last edited by PLbeast; 10-20-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BloodBank View Post
    I'm in the exactly same situation as you, a bit fatter though. You can read my thread if you want to. I'm gonna cut all the fat to start with because I couldn't stand becoming even fatter. Was thinking of cutting until I'm pleased and then do a slow clean bulk while trying to stay relatively clean. Hope things work out for you! You're not alone.....
    Yeah man, thing is the last couple of months I've been cutting calories loads and now I find that I don't actually want to eat alot anymore.. so putting back on the weight would actually be really hard for me anyway. I just want to cut and lift at the same time. Reckon 3 times a week will cut it? No pun intended ha.

"boulder shoulders" fade2green514's Avatar
    fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fade2green514 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    lift heavier weight. it sounds like you are lifting a weight 10 times and then setting it back down even though you could lift it 15 times.

for instance if you can curl 60 pounds without a problem, 10 times, and then you try doing it 15 times, then 60 pounds wont grow your muscles. up it to 80 pounds and if you can only lift that 7 times then thats perfect. 90 is your sweet spot. lift 90 the next time you're there.

when it comes to the compound lifts, like squats and deadlifts you need to do sets of 5-6 reps. if you can lift a weight more than 7 times, its too light. for instance i recently gained the ability to lift more than 225... i was able to lift that amount like 7 or 8 times instead of the normal 6 and so i upped it to 245.

and keep eating. dont think you're going to get lean by eating 1000 calories a day. it doesnt work that way. muscles require food. if you want to grow your muscles you need to eat a ton of protein, and for hormone health (testosterone) you need to eat plenty of fat too. after that you're allowed to eat carbs for the rest of the day, providing you hit your calorie goal.

you first need to cut. by that, i mean you figure out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which might end up around say, 2400 calories, or 2600 calories. add 15% extra to gain muscle, and for your cutting phase, subtract 15% calories. thats how you make progress.
    Last edited by fade2green514; 10-20-2013 at 03:46 PM.

eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriquee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Its gonna take a while, but first you need to bulk, you have zero muscle mass, after you bulked, cut down and rinse and repeat.

Unless you want to look like an anorexic, dont cut now.

Originally Posted by eriquee View Post
    Its gonna take a while, but first you need to bulk, you have zero muscle mass, after you bulked, cut down and rinse and repeat.

Thanks, I wish i could get a straight answer though. Apparently noobs can do both at the same time? Bear in mind tommorow will be my first time on a gym routine. Total noob. All I've been doing is cardio for the past couple of months.

Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    OP, please bulk first. You really don't have that bad of a starting physique IMO, I don't know what you're worrying about. I've seen many people who look great that started way worse. Like eriquee said, bulk first!

Jass79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jass79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jass79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jass79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jass79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jass79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jass79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jass79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jass79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jass79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jass79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Sway12 View Post
    Hi,

I'm 23 and i'm sick to death of being skinny fat. I have fairly thin arms but a gut and a double chin, also I have wide hips and skinny legs. Basically I have **** genetics. Pics are at the bottom.

Right now I'm 83KG and 6'1. Don't know my BF but I'm guessing 20% plus.

In order to start getting in shape I've done all the common sense **** like cutting alcohol, fizzy drinks, snacks, big meals full of carbs at night, skipping meals during the day etc, but I really want to know if the program I will type below is going to help me.
    The PT at the gym has given me this 3 times a week program to get me started:-

Every time I go in I do cross trainer for 10 mins to warmup, then:-

DAY 1:-
    Push session 1:
    Sit down squats - 4 sets of 15
    Forward Lunges - 4 sets of 12

DB Chest press - 3 sets of 12
    Cable chest fly - 3 sets of 10

BB Shoulder press - 3 sets of 10
    DB side raise - 3 sets of 10

Tricep dips, 3 sets of 8.

DAY 2:-
    Pull session 2:
    Deadlifts - 4 sets of 10
    Glute bridge - 4 sets of 10

Assisted pullups - 3 sets of 10
    Dumbell high row - 3 sets of 10

Seated row - 3 sets of 10
    Cable reverse fly - 3 sets of 10

BB bicep curl - 3 sets of 8

DAY 3:-
    Circuit:
    3 sets of all the below (ranging from 10-20 reps each)

SD Jump squats
    Pressups
    Mountain climbers
    Boot leg squats
    Tricep dips
    Front plank
    Surrender lunges
    Burpees

Then some ball exercises for core.

I'm fairly clueless. I have researched macros, when I should eat and the nature of meals. I was doing cardio 3 times a week but got shin splints so had to stop running, I still cycle though 13-15 miles each time.

Is there any way that I can beat my genetics and get in proportion within 6 months to a year? ATM I'm eating under my daily maintenence. I eat around 1800 cals per day according to MFP and I've already lost half a stone, but I'm not sure whether I should bulk or cut as I'm clearly not just skinny but also podgy.

Any tips would be great, cheers.
    Drop the hight sets, lift heavy in good form for 5-8 reps,

Go into a deficit, track your macros

If your a newbie you should see some great gains in strength and some size in the first year, while on a cut.

Tbillionaire is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tbillionaire is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tbillionaire is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tbillionaire is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tbillionaire is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tbillionaire is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tbillionaire is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tbillionaire is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tbillionaire is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tbillionaire is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tbillionaire is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    OP for the love of god please bulk. You may get a little bit more fat in the process, but your frame will improve dramatically. Train with heavier weight and less volume imo.

Originally Posted by eriquee View Post

Originally Posted by Tbillionaire View Post
    OP for the love of god please bulk. You may get a little bit more fat in the process, but your frame will improve dramatically. Train with heavier weight and less volume imo.
    Some saying cut, some not. Confused. Also when you say less volume what do you mean? Heavier weight and fewer reps and fewer sets?

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks, I wish i could get a straight answer though. Apparently noobs can do both at the same time? Bear in mind tommorow will be my first time on a gym routine. Total noob. All I've been doing is cardio for the past couple of months.
    No. the muscle you build as a bigger in a deficit is pretty insignificant. Do starting strength and bulk, in about 2 years you can have a good physique once you build a good strength base. Ditch all cardio.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

MoeLester1121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You're skinny fat and a beginner, I suggest eat at maintenance for now. You will grow muscles and lose some fat because of noob gains.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by MoeLester1121 View Post
    You're skinny fat and a beginner, I suggest eat at maintenance for now. You will grow muscles and lose some fat because of noob gains.

Good luck.
    How long do those last for? The noob gains I mean?

I worked out I need to eat about 2900 call a day to be slightly over maintenance... Sounds like loads! I can fill main meal times with decent protein etc but as for other times of the day I've got no idea what to eat..

OskarF is just really nice. (+1000) OskarF is just really nice. (+1000) OskarF is just really nice. (+1000) OskarF is just really nice. (+1000) OskarF is just really nice. (+1000) OskarF is just really nice. (+1000) OskarF is just really nice. (+1000) OskarF is just really nice. (+1000) OskarF is just really nice. (+1000) OskarF is just really nice. (+1000) OskarF is just really nice. (+1000)
    I was much worse off than you when I started and following the typical advice of training for strength 3 times a week while being in a caloric surplus or maintenance never worked for me.

You need to focus on cutting the fat and increasing your training frequency to 4-7 times a week.

I recently wrote an article about why you should get lean first as a skinny-fat guy, check it out at the link below.
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

Instagram / Twitter: @OskarFaarkrog

My Fitness Articles >> SkinnyFatTransformation.com

Originally Posted by OskarF View Post
    I was much worse off than you when I started and following the typical advice of training for strength 3 times a week while being in a caloric surplus or maintenance never worked for me.

You need to focus on cutting the fat and increasing your training frequency to 4-7 times a week.

I recently wrote an article about why you should get lean first as a skinny-fat guy, check it out at the link below.
    Ahh so much conflicting advice. Appreciate your input though cos you have been in a similar boat. Btw bruv your website isn't clickable, have to copy paste which is a bit long.

I'd prefer to take your advice over others because I'd rather eat less...

Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ramborage is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would say bulk first. You can always cut later. People will notice you bulking and the strength gains are addicting. The stronger you get, the more muscle you get to support the strength gains. You're skinny fat because you have no muscle, so even cutting will give you a ****ty physique. Nothing like sunken cheeks, twig legs, and toothpick arms with a gut. Even lifting light weights for high reps won't change that. You need to lift heavy utilizing compound exercises like the deadlift, squat, bench, rows, Overhead press, and pullups for 5-8 rep sets where you're struggling with the weight every single set and take long rests in between (3-5 minutes). Split the routine up so you're working out full body 3 days a week every other day. The routine shouldn't take more than an hour and get a trainer or someone that can critique your form so you're not doing it wrong.

And don't be a pussy. Eat lots of food. You need to eat big to get big bro, you're skinny and need to work out. Diet is key to your physique, and health.

Originally Posted by Ramborage View Post
    I would say bulk first. You can always cut later. People will notice you bulking and the strength gains are addicting. The stronger you get, the more muscle you get to support the strength gains. You're skinny fat because you have no muscle, so even cutting will give you a ****ty physique. Nothing like sunken cheeks, twig legs, and toothpick arms with a gut. Even lifting light weights for high reps won't change that. You need to lift heavy utilizing compound exercises like the deadlift, squat, bench, rows, Overhead press, and pullups for 5-8 rep sets where you're struggling with the weight every single set and take long rests in between (3-5 minutes). Split the routine up so you're working out full body 3 days a week every other day. The routine shouldn't take more than an hour and get a trainer or someone that can critique your form so you're not doing it wrong.

And don't be a pussy. Eat lots of food. You need to eat big to get big bro, you're skinny and need to work out. Diet is key to your physique, and health.
    Yet the guy above me who was skinny fat says the complete opposite....
    I will lift heavier, that is agreed on, but as for diet, ffs, can someone who had a similar physique to me be accurate and tell me what to do please?>

PM me with your Navy ?'s LoseTheKeg's Avatar
    LoseTheKeg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LoseTheKeg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LoseTheKeg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LoseTheKeg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LoseTheKeg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LoseTheKeg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LoseTheKeg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LoseTheKeg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LoseTheKeg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LoseTheKeg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LoseTheKeg is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Similar boat but a little chubbier. Joined recently and asked the same question and got a lot of similar conflicting advice.

The consensus I got was that you need to be consistent, but it really doesn't matter for a year or so. Focus on progress at the gym and getting plenty of protein. When you see how you look in a year, then decide to cut or bulk.
    Actively seeking workout program advice! PM me!

Overcome adversity or adversity will overcome you.

**responds to 8-month-old posts like a total noob crew**
    **Jayhawks crew**
    **US Navy crew**

Originally Posted by LoseTheKeg View Post
    Similar boat but a little chubbier. Joined recently and asked the same question and got a lot of similar conflicting advice.

The consensus I got was that you need to be consistent, but it really doesn't matter for a year or so. Focus on progress at the gym and getting plenty of protein. When you see how you look in a year, then decide to cut or bulk.
    Yeah it's confusing as ****. I'll just stick with eating maintenance or slightly below for now and getting moar protein.

thanks

ILLuSioNzX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ILLuSioNzX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ILLuSioNzX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ILLuSioNzX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ILLuSioNzX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ILLuSioNzX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ILLuSioNzX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ILLuSioNzX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ILLuSioNzX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ILLuSioNzX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ILLuSioNzX is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Just started reading your site, repped.
    ~Intermittent Fasting Crew~

Jaydogg717 is just really nice. (+1000) Jaydogg717 is just really nice. (+1000) Jaydogg717 is just really nice. (+1000) Jaydogg717 is just really nice. (+1000) Jaydogg717 is just really nice. (+1000) Jaydogg717 is just really nice. (+1000) Jaydogg717 is just really nice. (+1000) Jaydogg717 is just really nice. (+1000) Jaydogg717 is just really nice. (+1000) Jaydogg717 is just really nice. (+1000) Jaydogg717 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah it's confusing as ****. I'll just stick with eating maintenance or slightly below for now and getting moar protein.

thanks
    I would eat slightly over maintenance (like 250-500) while getting at least .82g/lb of protein and .45/lb of fat.

BeatKonducta is on a distinguished road. (+10) BeatKonducta is on a distinguished road. (+10) BeatKonducta is on a distinguished road. (+10) BeatKonducta is on a distinguished road. (+10) BeatKonducta is on a distinguished road. (+10) BeatKonducta is on a distinguished road. (+10) BeatKonducta is on a distinguished road. (+10) BeatKonducta is on a distinguished road. (+10) BeatKonducta is on a distinguished road. (+10) BeatKonducta is on a distinguished road. (+10) BeatKonducta is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    By looking at the picks you are skinny/fat but not as bad as when I started. Lift heavy as others have said and eat more focusing on lean proteins and quality fats. I can see you making good gains in as little as 3 to 6 months. You must be consistent and work with intensity, leave your workout like you could not have done any better! Get on a simple 5x5 routine like Stronglifts and grow. Also, drink lots of water easily a gallon through out the day this helps big time!!
    Signature goes here.

Only just read this properly, thanks. Can anyone of a similar physique back up this?