_Q_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Deadlifts, my grip and soreness

Whenever I deadlift my forearms are really sore the next day, does this ever happen to anyone else or is it just me?

But what's really pissin me off is that my grip strength is really weak. I mean when I deadlift I go for weight I can get 5-6 reps out of BUT, I always have to rest the weight and adjust my grip every 2 reps.

So I've been trainin my forearms like this:

Holding on to 45 lb plates as long as possible for three sets. (Kinda like the farmers walk technique)

Forearm curls ( Regular ones as well as reverse) 2 sets each

And one set on holding a bar with as much weight as possible standing up.

Should I do the forearm trainin on back day or separately and would trainin the forearms twice a week be overtraining them??

tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000) tbomb is just really nice. (+1000)
    i kinda have the same problem. my forearms are in proprtion to the rest of my body, but my grip wears out quickly on DLs and shrugs. ive been thinking of working forearms separately, but there just arent enough hours in the day. im considering using lifint straps for my really heavy sets of DLs and shrugs, but im not sure yet.

as far as when to work forearms, id work 'em on the last day of your split.
    i represent angry, gun-toting, meat-eating ****ing people!

BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Advice for grip training...

well 1st there are lots of different types of grip strength such as pinching and crushing. I am assuming your holding 1 45 lb. plate...b/c if you could hold 2 together i doubt you'd have much trouble with your grip. Anyway, exercises you should do to work on the specific areas of grip (an increase in one doesnt always carryover so its important to work on all types).

~Crushing grip:
    Ironmind Grippers (can buy at ironmind.com)

Plier Lifting: take a bucket and an old leather belt. Put weight in the bucket loop the belt through the handle. Use pliers to hold onto the belt and hold it as long as you can

Wire Cutting: Get a pair of pretty crappy wire cutters and go out and cut some wire (like on fences or crap). If its too easy your wire cutters are either too good or you need to use better wire (you roll the wire so you cut through more also).

~Pinch Grip:

Plate Pinchers: Take two weight plates...put your thumb on one side and your 4 fingers on the other. Lift the plates off the ground and hold them for atleast 5 seconds. Once you can hold for 10 secs increase the weight. Use a bar or something so you can add smaller plates when your grip gets better (since it would be a pretty damn big jump from say 25s to 35s).

Rope Climbing (works more than this but this is the main thing.)

~Lower arms:

Lever Lifts: grip something like a sledgehammer from the end and hold it as long as you can. Do this both from the front and the back.

Wrist Curls

Wrist Roller

~Fingers:

Fingertip push ups

Finger walking: Take a sledgehammer or something. Make a V with your 4 fingers and use both hands to hold onto it, and walk around.

Other great exercises:

Block Weights- Take York dumbbells or some type of dumbbell and cut the heads off (yes you heard that correctly). Preform things like snatches, clean and jerks, tossing the weight back and forth, etc. Its great for many types of grip strength. If you have a partner playing follow the leader can be very good.

Thick handled dumbbells (if you don't have thick handles which i doubt you do, wrap a towel or two around the dumbbells).

I train my grip 2-3 times a week.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
    "Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac." -Henry Kissinger

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster . . . for when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Omar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omar has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    get lifting straps

decypheredbeats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) decypheredbeats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) decypheredbeats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) decypheredbeats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) decypheredbeats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) decypheredbeats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) decypheredbeats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) decypheredbeats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) decypheredbeats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) decypheredbeats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) decypheredbeats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    BIGKAZ.............great advice

to the poster, have you tried gripping the bar with one hand pronated and the other supinated?

BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by decypheredbeats
    BIGKAZ.............great advice

to the poster, have you tried gripping the bar with one hand pronated and the other supinated?
    thanks

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster . . . for when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Message Board King holyshinto63's Avatar
    holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50) holyshinto63 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    that was really good BigKazWSM747 except instead of the Captain Of Crush, i would suggest the ivanko super gripper cause you can adjust the weight (as for the COC, you can't adjust the weight)

Agile, Mobile and Hostile MYNAMEIZGREG's Avatar
    MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by Omar
    get lifting straps
    That would work around the problem, not fix it.
    Making it my job to educate the younguns...
    --------------------------
    You didn't come here to make the choice. You've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it.

_Q_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the advice BIGKAZ I'll try some of those methods.

but i'll obviously have to dedicate a certain day for forearm training and my grip but will this lead to overtrainin my forearms as they are real sore after my back and bi workout?

I doubt you'll overtrain them if you give them a day of rest or two.