mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000)

Transitioning from a Cut to a Bulk

So I'm tentatively planning to end my cut and start my bulk on November 1. Any particular advice/warnings/etc.? On average, I've been eating about 1,600 calories per day - weights 3x per week, no cardio. My TDEE is about 2,300. I believe +300 is the recommended surplus for bulking, so I'll set my calorie goal around 2,600-2,700. Also, I've read that you should progressively increase your calories up to your new goal. How long should you drag that process out for - one or two weeks?

Any tips or pointers would be much appreciated.

Currently on an EC Stack. I'll drop the E on Nov 1 and slowly reduce the C over the course of a week or so. Also taking Creatine, which I'll obviously continue during the bulk.

Anything I'm missing or wrong about?
    Started in April, 2013 at 212 lbs. Completely inactive at the time. Fat with zero muscle mass.
    Before/After Thread at the end of my first cut (April '13 - October '13 - 6 mos): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157820563

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Couple hundred per week is fine. No need to guesstimate a surplus if you're reversing though, just add calories until you start gaining at the desired rate.

mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by lee__d View Post
    Couple hundred per week is fine. No need to guesstimate a surplus if you're reversing though, just add calories until you start gaining at the desired rate.
    I figured some guesstimating would be required, since I imagine water weight gain is going to be pretty significant. Any pointers to help sift through those fluctuations and figure out "actual" TDEE? Does that water weight come flying back the first few days?

I planned to just do 2,600-2,700, and then keep an eye on gains in the mirror to adjust accordingly.

Honestly, during my cut, I've never been certain about my TDEE. I've maintained an aggressive calorie limit throughout and always lost weight steadily, so it was never much of an issue.
    Started in April, 2013 at 212 lbs. Completely inactive at the time. Fat with zero muscle mass.
    Before/After Thread at the end of my first cut (April '13 - October '13 - 6 mos): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157820563

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by mavajo View Post
    I figured some guesstimating would be required, since I imagine water weight gain is going to be pretty significant. Any pointers to help sift through those fluctuations and figure out "actual" TDEE?

Honestly, during my cut, I've never been certain about my TDEE. I've maintained an aggressive calorie limit throughout and always lost weight steadily, so it was never much of an issue.
    Don't put too much stock into the initial spike of gain in the first week or so. It shouldn't be too bad is you go from 1600-2000-2400 calories etc.

OtterDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OtterDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OtterDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OtterDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OtterDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OtterDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OtterDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OtterDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OtterDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OtterDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OtterDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I read that you go up 100 per week until you get your desired target.
    Then i read that your metabolism doesn't really change that much like a max of 15% each

So the best thing to do is go straight into bulk from cut, you will an extra pound of fat but you will push up you bulk/cut by like 3-4 weeks. Its not really worth taking 3-4 weeks reverse dieting when 1-2 weeks of cutting will cut the fat anyway.

Originally Posted by lee__d View Post
    Don't put too much stock into the initial spike of gain in the first week or so. It shouldn't be too bad is you go from 1600-2000-2400 calories etc.
    Thanks amigo. I'll add a couple hundred a week and keep an eye on things in the mirror. I plan to mostly disregard the scale, especially the first couple weeks.

Poverty repped.

Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Since you've been doing a pretty hard cut at 1600 I would prolly take my time to reverse. 1800 for the last week of your cut, 2100 for a week, 2400 for a week, then 2700 for your bulk. No reason to be shy about bulking, you've been extremely successful and disciplined with your cutting. If you slightly overdo calories bulking, it wont kill you. I wouldn't waste time reverse dieting any slower than that.

All the water weight and fluxuations should happen during the 3 weeks of reverse dieting. By the time you are up to 2700 cals/day intake you would have a fairly stable bodyweight to log as a starting point to track your weight gain. If its too fast at 2700 after 3-4 weeks, you can pull it back, but I bet that's going to be your ideal bulk number. If your TDEE was any lower you wouldn't have dropped so much weight so quickly this summer.

Good job man, you were one of the main motivations for me to start a real concerted cut 2 months ago. Good luck on your bulk (I'm starting my own in 2-3 weeks as well, but I wont get quite as lean as you are first unfortunately).

SolorzanoJose is on a distinguished road. (+10) SolorzanoJose is on a distinguished road. (+10) SolorzanoJose is on a distinguished road. (+10) SolorzanoJose is on a distinguished road. (+10) SolorzanoJose is on a distinguished road. (+10) SolorzanoJose is on a distinguished road. (+10) SolorzanoJose is on a distinguished road. (+10) SolorzanoJose is on a distinguished road. (+10) SolorzanoJose is on a distinguished road. (+10) SolorzanoJose is on a distinguished road. (+10) SolorzanoJose is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm a fan of 100 cal increases weekly, just enough not to notice the water retention from increased carbs

Originally Posted by Shandlar View Post
    Since you've been doing a pretty hard cut at 1600 I would prolly take my time to reverse. 1800 for the last week of your cut, 2100 for a week, 2400 for a week, then 2700 for your bulk. No reason to be shy about bulking, you've been extremely successful and disciplined with your cutting. If you slightly overdo calories bulking, it wont kill you. I wouldn't waste time reverse dieting any slower than that.

All the water weight and fluxuations should happen during the 3 weeks of reverse dieting. By the time you are up to 2700 cals/day intake you would have a fairly stable bodyweight to log as a starting point to track your weight gain. If its too fast at 2700 after 3-4 weeks, you can pull it back, but I bet that's going to be your ideal bulk number. If your TDEE was any lower you wouldn't have dropped so much weight so quickly this summer.

Good job man, you were one of the main motivations for me to start a real concerted cut 2 months ago. Good luck on your bulk (I'm starting my own in 2-3 weeks as well, but I wont get quite as lean as you are first unfortunately).
    Thanks bro! Not to get all sappy, but that seriously means a lot. There were some dudes on here that really inspired me to bust it into gear and get in shape - kinda shocks me that I could have inspired somebody else. Made my day, man. Poverty reps!

Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shandlar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SolorzanoJose View Post
    I'm a fan of 100 cal increases weekly, just enough not to notice the water retention from increased carbs
    Doesn't that essentially waste 8-10 weeks spinning your wheels in a pseudo recomp? Seems like that's a ton of time to spend for at best a moderate benefit. In the long run that sounds like you've given away 5 weeks of muscle gains to me.

I'm quite curious as to the answer here as well. My own plan to switch to bulk was +300 cals a week. What is the benefit of taking is way way slower?

Originally Posted by Shandlar View Post
    I'm quite curious as to the answer here as well. My own plan to switch to bulk was +300 cals a week. What is the benefit of taking is way way slower?
    For what it's worth, +300/week is what I plan to do. I'm an only child, so I've gotta push the limits some til I get burned. Once I start the bulk Nov 1, I'll report back here if I see any adverse fat gains.

I'm gonna have to cut again anyway after my bulk, so it's not the end of the world if I pick up an extra pound or two of fat along the way.

Mazkulin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mazkulin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mazkulin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mazkulin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mazkulin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mazkulin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mazkulin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mazkulin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mazkulin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mazkulin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mazkulin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Good luck man, Im almost done cutting and Im starting my bulk on Nov 1st as well.

Im just going to up cals 100 a week until im in a 300 surplus gaining around 0.5-1lb a week.

get it

Wadecounty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wadecounty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wadecounty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wadecounty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wadecounty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wadecounty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wadecounty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wadecounty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wadecounty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wadecounty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wadecounty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Mavajo, we have similar stats and had similar cuts. I ended mine about 3 weeks ago and basically jumped straight to my bulking calories, and besides water weight have noticed no ill effects, now I'm settling in comfortably at 2800 cals a day. I'd suggest just to jump straight to what you think is a good total and not worry about the water weight, I think reverse dieting would be more important for someone not sure of their TDEE but you sound like you've got it on lock.

Also prepare for your TDEE to be higher than you thought, mine went up after I transitioned to my bulk, based on my cut it would've been 2400, now its around 2600 and maybe going up.

kingolympics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingolympics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingolympics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingolympics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingolympics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingolympics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kingolympics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My advice is to do your research and check your macros before starting the bulk. I know that's pretty obvious but I've seen a lot of guys who say they are bulking but just seem like they're getting fat!

Originally Posted by kingolympics View Post
    My advice is to do your research and check your macros before starting the bulk. I know that's pretty obvious but I've seen a lot of guys who say they are bulking but just seem like they're getting fat!
    Macros are the one part I'm pretty comfortable with. I should be good to go on that front.

Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bhigs23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm starting my bulk on December 1st, and I'm planning on adding 300 cals/week until I'm at 3200 calories for my bulk. Also, why such low calories? I'm cutting on 2200-2300 atm

Originally Posted by Bhigs23 View Post
    Also, why such low calories?
    Why not?

Originally Posted by Bhigs23 View Post
    I'm cutting on 2200-2300 atm
    You're younger, taller, heavier and apparently more active. 2,200-2,300 is pretty much my maintenance.

KevinO541 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KevinO541 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KevinO541 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KevinO541 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KevinO541 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KevinO541 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KevinO541 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KevinO541 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KevinO541 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KevinO541 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KevinO541 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Were all bulking Nov 1st bro. I'm going to try to reverse diet till bulk cal's for the first time. IMO i think its a waste of a month trying to shed those pounds gained when you can be adding more mass without getting fat as **** like i did my first bulk. Well good luck.