Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jackm7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What do you think of this? I tried to mush the push and pull together to make it an upper/lower routine. Volume on first upper day seems a bit high, but I wanted two exercises per muscle group.
    Just changed the two uppers around a bit, and moved the ohp to the first day.

Upper:
    OHP (5 3 1 system)
    Incline BB Bench Press, 3 Sets, 6-10 reps
    Flat DB Bench Press, 3 Sets, 8-10 reps
    Pendlay row: 3 sets, 6-10 reps
    One arm bent over row: 2 sets, 8-12 reps
    Side Laterals, 3 Sets, 8-12 reps
    Tricep Dips (Heavy), 3 Sets, 5-8 reps
    Dumbell curls: 3 sets, 8-12 reps

Lower:
    Squats (Heavy), 3 Sets, 5 3 1 System
    Deadlifts, 3 Sets, 6-10 reps
    Leg Extensions, 3 Sets, 6-10 reps
    SLDL/Leg Curls, 3 Sets, 8-12 reps
    BB Calf Raises (w/ Plates under feet), 3 Sets, 8-12 reps

Upper:
    Flat Bench (Heavy), 3 Sets, 5 3 1 System
    Pull ups/pulldowns, 3 Sets, 6-10 reps
    Incline DB, 2 Sets, 6-10 reps
    One Arm DB Rows, 2 Sets, 6-10 reps
    Dumbell shoulder press, 3 Sets, 6-10
    Side Hammer Curls (Light), 3 Sets, 8-12 reps
    Skullcrushers (Light), 3 Sets, 8-12 reps

Lower:
    Deadlifts (Heavy), 3 Sets, 5 3 1 System
    Squats, 3 Sets, 6-10 reps
    Leg Curls, 3 Sets, 6-10 reps
    Front Squats/Leg Extensions, 3 Sets, 8-12 reps
    BB Calf Raises, 3 Sets, 8-12 reps
    SS + GOMAD is all you need srs

Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BL17 View Post
    Okay guys, been experimenting with this program a bit over the last 8 weeks. I changed the 5 3 1 concept (oh no!! Enter the Wendler Warriors) to 7 5 3 concept to try and enduce more hypertrophy specific gains rather than strength specific and I can tell you the results have been pretty astonishing. I changed the percentages slightly obviously to compensate but not too much, just took off 5% off of the original figures. And let me tell you, trying to get 3 reps with 95% of your 1RM is no easy task!
    You can go even higher if you want to: http://www.t-nation.com/training/8-6...e-and-strength (this has numbers worked out as well)

Also, just a tip - don't work with your 1RM, work with 90% of your 1RM and make calculations of that. Not a big difference but there is a reason for that in the 5/3/1 "protocol".

Other than that - the program seem okay, it keeps to good frequency and good exercises, but imo it's not needed for a simple reason - 5/3/1 is such a flexible program you can vary the frequency to 2x muscle group a week easily.

So really, the only difference between a slightly tweaked 5/3/1 and this is that you add an extra day (and split upper into push & pull). I get what and why you're trying this though.

One improvement I would suggest making is this: add another 5/3/1 for your pull movements. Something like barbell row or weighted pull ups with a 5/3/1 (or 8/6/3) scheme will balance out the heavy push you do.

BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jackm7 View Post
    What do you think of this? I tried to mush the push and pull together to make it an upper/lower routine. Volume on first upper day seems a bit high, but I wanted two exercises per muscle group.
    Just changed the two uppers around a bit, and moved the ohp to the first day.

Upper:
    OHP (5 3 1 system)
    Pendlay row: 3 sets, 6-10 reps
    One arm bent over row: 2 sets, 8-12 reps
    Dumbell curls: 3 sets, 8-12 reps

Lower:

Upper:
    Pull ups/pulldowns, 3 Sets, 6-10 reps
    Dumbell shoulder press, 3 Sets, 6-10

Lower:
    Your upper/lower looks great to me man, it's pretty much exactly how I set mine out when I was training UL. Good work
    Bench Press: 142.5kg
    OHP: 102.5kg
    Deadlift: 222.5kg
    Squat: 187.5kg
    @ 76kg

BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BL17 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Violander View Post
    You can go even higher if you want to: http://www.t-nation.com/training/8-6...e-and-strength (this has numbers worked out as well)

Also, just a tip - don't work with your 1RM, work with 90% of your 1RM and make calculations of that. Not a big difference but there is a reason for that in the 5/3/1 "protocol".

Other than that - the program seem okay, it keeps to good frequency and good exercises, but imo it's not needed for a simple reason - 5/3/1 is such a flexible program you can vary the frequency to 2x muscle group a week easily.

So really, the only difference between a slightly tweaked 5/3/1 and this is that you add an extra day (and split upper into push & pull). I get what and why you're trying this though.

One improvement I would suggest making is this: add another 5/3/1 for your pull movements. Something like barbell row or weighted pull ups with a 5/3/1 (or 8/6/3) scheme will balance out the heavy push you do.
    Hey bro thanks for the input and that's a good article by T-Nation. As I have said this is nothing revolutionary, just a tried and tested version of the many that are out there of 5 3 1. A big difference with this one, is that it actually works.

I also rotate my TM and 1RM cycles. So for the first 6 weeks I'll use my TM as recommended by Jim (minus the deload weeks), then for weeks 7-9 I'll use my 1RM and try for a new PR based off of my previous training maxes. Then I'll deload.

Finally the reason I DO NOT do 5 3 1 for any back exercises such as the row or pull up is mainly because those exercises are more injury prone for the body. Which is why I just stick to doing lower reps rather than 5 3 1. Sometimes I vary the range of a row movement e.g. 3-5 reps, 5-8 reps but ill never go above 10 for the heavy days.

Thanks again
    @ 76kg

krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've been doing something similar the last 2 months:
    PUSH:
    Bench press 5/3/1
    Low inclined dumbbell press
    Military press*
    Lateral raises
    Tricep extensions
    PULL:
    Bent over rows 5/3/1
    Chin ups
    Face pulls
    Bicep curls
    LEGS:
    Power cleans 4 ramping sets
    Squat 5/3/1
    Romanian deadlifts
    Leg extensions*
    Leg curls*
    Standing and seated calf raises*
    * exercises are optional, I do them if I feel fresh (actually on most days). Everything that isn't 5/3/1 or power cleans I do 3x12 (I increase the weight when I get 12 reps in every set, 20 for calves). I do 5/3/1 with joker sets and first set last (beyond 5/3/1 book) and I just alternate these workouts whenever I go to the gym and every 2 cycles I do a deload week (beyond 5/3/1 too). When I don't/barely get the minimum prescribed reps for the last 5/3/1 sets with GOOD FORM (very important in bent over rows) I reset the weight by 10% in that exercise. I would add some exercises if I find a lagging muscle (like shrugs/flyes...). I hate doing abs but they can be done every other day.

Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Oh how I love the occasional my "new and exciting take" on a routine that was devised by an advanced and respected person but I made it better thread
    My log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147800823&p=941910683#post941910683

PSN ID: I_M-th3-b3ast

Playing Skyrim

Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50) Violander will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Sinaku5 View Post
    Oh how I love the occasional my "new and exciting take" on a routine that was devised by an advanced and respected person but I made it better thread
    I don't think he claims it is made better. It is by no means an improvement to 5/3/1, just a modification.

In my opinion it is quite alright to tweak a routine for your own goals. Some people like to train more often for instance, why not use well established principles that work within that program?

imo this is a decent routine for anyone who wants a little higher volume and train more often on 5/3/1, however I would recommend most people to stick to normal 5/3/1 and only start modifiying it after running it for a while.

krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's not better or worse, each person has its own goals, needs, abilities and tastes. I hate that "it's a proven program, don't change anything" mentality, they are general routines and not designed for the individual. 5/3/1 is excellent but if you have read his books you will know that it's very customizable. In fact that's what I like the most of the program. I understand that beginners shouldn't customize routines but IMO once you are intermediate it's good to customize them, experiment, etc.
    Last edited by krysix; 11-07-2013 at 05:54 AM.

I'm glad you like it

FYI, I don't believe I ever mentioned this routine being better than the original 5 3 1. And I still can't comprehend why people get so negative when someone doesn't use a routine by it's exact guidelines. When will people learn that everyone is too individual to stick to EXACT routine guidelines. I manipulated the routine to suit my goals, needs, lifestyle and enjoyment and I think I did a damn good job of it.
    Good luck with your goals
    @ 76kg

Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Violander and Krysx - You're missing the point.

If you guys need someone else to simply combine two currently existing routines in the most basic of ways and then advertise and bump it like its some revolutionary program or something that took longer than a minute to do even think of then maybe you shouldnt be training.

Id hate to see how you'd move forward in your training without BL17 telling you that its ok to skip a rep, change rep ranges, deload, etc.

...maybe ill create "Starting 5/3/1" and bump it till I get recognition
    My log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147800823&p=941910683#post941910683

PSN ID: I_M-th3-b3ast

Playing Skyrim

If you guys need someone else to simply combine two currently existing routines in the most basic of ways and then advertise and bump it like its some revolutionary program or something that took longer than a minute to do even think of then maybe you shouldnt be training.

Id hate to see how you'd move forward in your training without BL17 telling you that its ok to skip a rep, change rep ranges, deload, etc.

As stated COUNTLESS times. This routine is NOT revolutionary. It's a routine that has been thought out, tried and tested to prove that it's a good variation that works. Some people aren't as advanced to create their own program and want a layout as a start or to even copy for a little while, until they find what works best for them by changing rep schemes, sets etc. People are more than welcome to ask me whats a good idea and what isn't, and I will tell them exactly what I think.

Maybe you should give it a go?
    @ 76kg

Noone 'needs' anyone tom combine anything.

He made a routine, he is proud of it. It's a decent routine.

He isn't being a kid and telling everyone "do this, this is the best". If he did, I'd jump at him as you did.
    He simply posted his routine saying - "look, this is what I made, I think it's good"

As far as I can see he isn't elling anyone this is the better version. It's a modified version for anyone looking to tweak a program and he is also posting his "results" for anyone interested if this is effective

No need to be a jackass

Ribbed for her pleasure. GarthVader's Avatar
    GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Looks solid! May actually try this. I've been wondering about these two routines anyhow.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer." - Arnold

USAF
    OEF/OIF/OIR

Boston Bruins, New England Patriots, Boston Red Sox, Liverpool FC.

Check out my landscape oil paintings. https://www.happypaintingsbycraig.com

GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GarthVader has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    So after reading up on 5/3/1 and PHAT, this modification looks to be exactly the type of program I'm looking for. Gonna give it a go starting tomorrow and see how it goes.

Do you do abs OP? How often?
    Last edited by GarthVader; 11-10-2013 at 09:35 AM.

USAF
    OEF/OIF/OIR

ABallah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABallah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABallah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABallah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABallah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABallah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABallah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABallah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABallah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABallah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ABallah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nice, might try this out when Progression gets tough on my routine now!

Originally Posted by GarthVader View Post
    So after reading up on 5/3/1 and PHAT, this modification looks to be exactly the type of program I'm looking for. Gonna give it a go starting tomorrow and see how it goes.

Do you do abs OP? How often?
    Hey bro, definitely give this WO a try!! And as for abs I do not train them, never have, never will probably. Some people look down on it but it allows me to keep a great shoulder to waste ratio and in my opinion there's just no need with the amount of core work involved with nearly every single compound movement. But if you are adamant then doing them twice a week on Pull and Lower Day wouldn't be detrimental by any means
    @ 76kg

jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    anyone run this?

stitch123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stitch123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stitch123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stitch123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stitch123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stitch123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stitch123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stitch123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stitch123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stitch123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stitch123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes I have gained noticable muscle. I started out doing this workout at 158lbs 10-11% BF I'm now 165.8 (as of today) @ 9-10% BF. These BF% are rough estimates of course but I am leaner than I was when I started. My AVI is me at 158lbs in March this year.
    What was your nutrition like for these results? I'm guessing small surplus so the weight you put on was mostly muscle which actually lowered your overall bodyfat? And what time frame?
    2015- Present. Qualified military psychiatric nurse.

2012-2015 British Army Psych Nurse Training (BSc Nursing Mental health)

2004-2012 Royal Military Police

jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jshookz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Major bump here but this actually looks like exactly what I would do...damn this looks nice
    "For He will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; Psalm 91:11"

[always tells spotters how to spot crew.]

busangaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Exactly what I've been looking for! Nice!

SRulla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What I was searching for

I know this is an old thread but it's still exactly what I was looking for! I've been running PHAT for a couple of weeks now but I would like to have more strength workouts. Wendlers 5/3/1 only has 4 days which is not enough for me. Gonna give your routine a try. Thank you!

Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Filthmonger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Real good job OP running my own adaptation atm but yours looks better. Repped and don't listen to the haters.

imcca001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) imcca001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) imcca001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) imcca001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) imcca001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) imcca001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) imcca001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) imcca001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) imcca001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) imcca001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) imcca001 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey guys, I've been getting a lot of messages asking for my routine. I've also been getting a lot of good feedback from people saying they've used it and said I should make a thread on it so I thought I would.

My stats (Currently):
    Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 167lbs
    BF%: 8-9%
    Current lifts are in my SIG.

My routine - is a combination of PHAT using the principles of 5 3 1 on my heavy days with the four big lifts. I know someone has posted a routine about 5 3 1 very recently and it's very good, props to him but it's not enough frequency per muscle group for us natural lifters IMO.

For those who don't know what 5 3 1 is, I recommend getting a very detailed format of it from Jim Wendlers website, but in basic form it looks like this (if it isn't then I do apologise but this is what I've been using to great success).

Week 1: (5 reps for all sets)
    Set 1: 75% of 1RM, Set 2: 80% of 1RM, Set 3: 85% of 1RM

Week 23 reps for all sets)
    Set 1: 80% of 1RM, Set 2: 85% of 1RM, Set 3: 90% of 1RM

Week 3: (5 reps for set one, 3 reps for set two, 1 rep for set three)
    Set 1: 75% of 1RM, Set 2: 85% of 1RM, Set 3: 95% of 1RM

Week 4: (Deload, 5 reps for each set, using 50-60% of 1RM)

Wendler also says to go to absolute failure on your last set of these exercises.

Now, when I do my routine, I don't do week 4, this allows for faster progression, although after about 12 weeks I do throw it in if I stall or my joints are beginning to play up etc. I also change week 3 to 80%, 90% and 100% of 1RM in an attempt to beat last weeks 1RM. The week after, you will add 2.5-5kg to your Bench and OHP 1RM, 5-10kg to your squat and deadlift 1RM and work out the next weeks percentages from this number.

Why is my routine based on 5 3 1 AND PHAT? Because of the layout and structure of the programme.

Day 1: Push
    Day 2: Pull
    Day 3: Legs
    Day 4: rest
    Day 5: Upper Body
    Day 6: Lower Body

This isn't exactly the PHAT layout Dr Layne Norton recommends, but he does state that his workout is HIS workout and that everyone is individual and should just stick to the principles of PHAT.
    My Push and Pull days are hypertrophy specific with Heavy Arms thrown in, focusing on medium to high reps with more accessory exercises thrown in. I have split my Leg Day and Lower Body day into two heavy sessions with light work mixed in. The reason for this is because I do deadlifts and squats in the same day twice a week and I've tried doing Heavy Squats and Heavy Deadlifts in the same workout but you end up tiring yourself out too much from going to complete failure. My Upper Body Day is strength based focusing on lower reps for all exercises apart from arms where I do light work.

So heres what my programme looks like:

Push Day:
    Cable Crossovers, 2 Sets, 8-12 reps
    DB Shoulder Press, 3 Sets, 6-10 reps

Pull Day:
    Pull Ups, 3 Sets, 8-12 reps
    Pendlay Rows, 3 Sets, 6-10 reps
    Shrugs, 2 Sets, 6-10 reps
    One Arm Bent Over Rows, 2 Sets, 8-12 reps
    Ez Curls (Standing Heavy), 3 Sets, 5-8 reps

Leg Day:

Upper Body:
    Pull ups/Barbell Rows, 3 Sets, 6-10 reps
    Standing OHP (Heavy), 3 Sets, 5 3 1 System

Lower Body:

As you can see less volume than PHAT but that's because I honestly believe its too much, but if you think you can handle it then you carry on. You can also change the layout to however you want. You can even run it as an Upper/Lower just decrease the volume on push and pull days and mush them together.

I have made incredible strength gains and size gains from this routine, any critique is obviously welcomed, thankyou for reading, any questions please ask me in this thread or through PM.
    Thats an awesome routine. i will have to try it

Starting this routine again this year. Did it last year with some great results, modified it a couple cycles in with more results. Modifying it again and doing it this year. I only modify the accessory exercises and sets and rep ranges.

USAF
    OEF/OIF/OIR

mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    gonna try dissss

mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mirinnnn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    quick question, what's the difference between 'One arm bent over row' and 'One Arm DB Rows'?

TheAlex7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAlex7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAlex7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAlex7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAlex7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAlex7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAlex7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAlex7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAlex7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAlex7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheAlex7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mirinnnn View Post
    quick question, what's the difference between 'One arm bent over row' and 'One Arm DB Rows'?
    One Arm Dumbbell rows are usually assisted by a bench placing one leg and a hand on it or the dumbbell rack with just your hand in support.

hottamale33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hottamale33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hottamale33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hottamale33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hottamale33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hottamale33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hottamale33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hottamale33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hottamale33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hottamale33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hottamale33 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    been doiing 5/3/1 for so long looking to change things up.

this looks like the ticket. thanks

missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) missladyj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm going to try this for 16 weeks and will post results here. Thanks for awesome post OP

unbesiegt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys, I've been getting a lot of messages asking for my routine. I've also been getting a lot of good feedback from people saying they've used it and said I should make a thread on it so I thought I would.

My stats (Currently):
    Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 167lbs
    BF%: 8-9%
    Current lifts are in my SIG.

My routine - is a combination of PHAT using the principles of 5 3 1 on my heavy days with the four big lifts. I know someone has posted a routine about 5 3 1 very recently and it's very good, props to him but it's not enough frequency per muscle group for us natural lifters IMO.

For those who don't know what 5 3 1 is, I recommend getting a very detailed format of it from Jim Wendlers website, but in basic form it looks like this (if it isn't then I do apologise but this is what I've been using to great success).

Week 1: (5 reps for all sets)
    Set 1: 75% of 1RM, Set 2: 80% of 1RM, Set 3: 85% of 1RM

Week 23 reps for all sets)
    Set 1: 80% of 1RM, Set 2: 85% of 1RM, Set 3: 90% of 1RM

Week 3: (5 reps for set one, 3 reps for set two, 1 rep for set three)
    Set 1: 75% of 1RM, Set 2: 85% of 1RM, Set 3: 95% of 1RM

Week 4: (Deload, 5 reps for each set, using 50-60% of 1RM)

Wendler also says to go to absolute failure on your last set of these exercises.

Now, when I do my routine, I don't do week 4, this allows for faster progression, although after about 12 weeks I do throw it in if I stall or my joints are beginning to play up etc. I also change week 3 to 80%, 90% and 100% of 1RM in an attempt to beat last weeks 1RM. The week after, you will add 2.5-5kg to your Bench and OHP 1RM, 5-10kg to your squat and deadlift 1RM and work out the next weeks percentages from this number.

Why is my routine based on 5 3 1 AND PHAT? Because of the layout and structure of the programme.

Day 1: Push
    Day 2: Pull
    Day 3: Legs
    Day 4: rest
    Day 5: Upper Body
    Day 6: Lower Body

This isn't exactly the PHAT layout Dr Layne Norton recommends, but he does state that his workout is HIS workout and that everyone is individual and should just stick to the principles of PHAT.
    My Push and Pull days are hypertrophy specific with Heavy Arms thrown in, focusing on medium to high reps with more accessory exercises thrown in. I have split my Leg Day and Lower Body day into two heavy sessions with light work mixed in. The reason for this is because I do deadlifts and squats in the same day twice a week and I've tried doing Heavy Squats and Heavy Deadlifts in the same workout but you end up tiring yourself out too much from going to complete failure. My Upper Body Day is strength based focusing on lower reps for all exercises apart from arms where I do light work.

So heres what my programme looks like:

Push Day:
    Cable Crossovers, 2 Sets, 8-12 reps
    DB Shoulder Press, 3 Sets, 6-10 reps

Pull Day:
    Pull Ups, 3 Sets, 8-12 reps
    Pendlay Rows, 3 Sets, 6-10 reps
    Shrugs, 2 Sets, 6-10 reps
    One Arm Bent Over Rows, 2 Sets, 8-12 reps
    Ez Curls (Standing Heavy), 3 Sets, 5-8 reps

Leg Day:

Upper Body:
    Pull ups/Barbell Rows, 3 Sets, 6-10 reps
    Standing OHP (Heavy), 3 Sets, 5 3 1 System

Lower Body:

As you can see less volume than PHAT but that's because I honestly believe its too much, but if you think you can handle it then you carry on. You can also change the layout to however you want. You can even run it as an Upper/Lower just decrease the volume on push and pull days and mush them together.

I have made incredible strength gains and size gains from this routine, any critique is obviously welcomed, thankyou for reading, any questions please ask me in this thread or through PM.
    Routine looks solid man and i might have to give this a try! One thing that worry's me is not recovering in time, and possible over training. Have you gone through either of these in your cycles? Thanks!