Learn from your mistakes lucidz's Avatar
    lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

BCAAs - Whats the scoop?

Assuming one has pretty much dialed in the basic aspects of nutrition. And one has dialed their macros, knows how to bulk and cut, and has paired nutrition timing with their Max Protein Synthesis, within reason, (IE: Consuming additional calories/protein on days with heavy lifting, vs days without exercise to take advantage of 24 hour MPS increase, and additional calories based on TDEE differential), what benefit would you guys say about BCAAs?

(Keep in mind, for this post, currently I'm bulking)

I'm on the fence about supplements. Currently, I do take whey protein, but thats just to always make sure I hit my protein macros regardless of the rest of the diet. Otherwise, I take a potassium supplement, a multi, fish oil, and some metamucil, but that's it.

I was reading Christian Thibaudeau and he claimed that post work out bcaas make up sometimes 50% of your recovery and gains. Furthermore,Christian T has said that he has athletes gain more than the coveted .4-.5lbs of muscle per week under his training programs, and thats not even people who are just starting out.

Now obviously, someone who is 205lbs at 5'10 at 8% body fat isn't going to put on a pound of muscle in a week, but for someone who is lower intermediate, like myself, is that a realistic limitation? What role may BCAAs play in that?

I've been reading medical publications all of which conclude that BCAAs have had a significant effect on muscle recovery in heavy exercise, and enhance exercise capacity and lipid oxidation during endurance exercise after muscle glycogen depletion.

This would imply nutritional timing holds some merit, as well as makes the case for BCAAs benefit on muscle recovery.

What do you guys think?
    Its not how strong you are, its how good your aim is from 500 yards.

DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Waste of money IMO.

If you're hitting your protein requirements, you already have a steady stream of amino acids.

misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think that they have been beneficial for me when training fasted on a cut. However, there is no way for me to prove this.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Whey = BCAA plus all the other EAA, better satiety, and some other good stuff. Meat, milk, eggs and the like also come with more nourishment than whey. Just eat food, or sip some whey before using BCAA IMO.

Some people enjoy using them, hard to argue with someone's preference, or their perceived value possibly on a low protein diet. Which does not make much sense in a surplus anyway.

http://amigoacid.com/supplementation...bout-bcaa.html
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    BCAA's are essential and it sounds like you're already getting plenty of them with your diet.
    Borussia Dortmund back-2-back Bundesliga champs

WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you consume adequate amounts of protein that is recommended in the stickies and by many professionals (no, not your gym personal trainer), then I would say the results you get from them would be very negligible if noticeable at all.
    My Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169516313

MMDELAD

lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by WMLifting View Post
    If you consume adequate amounts of protein that is recommended in the stickies and by many professionals (no, not your gym personal trainer), then I would say the results you get from them would be very negligible if noticeable at all.
    Ok.

I have adopted a theory of mostly not paying attention to nutrition timing just for the sake of timing.

But as a by product, my routine is usually, red bull, banana and a whey shake before I work out, then whole grain peanut butter crackers and yogurt with granola after I work out. This is purely because of how my morning goes and not because I think it holds any effect. But it ends up with me getting some caffeine, some carbs and about 35g protein before my workout, and another 20 or so plus fiber after my workout.

But you guys think that particular bcaa post workout supplements hold no additional value above what I already do?

No Longer Look Like This InItForFitness's Avatar
    InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by lucidz View Post
    Ok.

I have adopted a theory of mostly not paying attention to nutrition timing just for the sake of timing.

But as a by product, my routine is usually, red bull, banana and a whey shake before I work out, then whole grain peanut butter crackers and yogurt with granola after I work out. This is purely because of how my morning goes and not because I think it holds any effect. But it ends up with me getting some caffeine, some carbs and about 35g protein before my workout, and another 20 or so plus fiber after my workout.

But you guys think that particular bcaa post workout supplements hold no additional value above what I already do?
    As stated. If you're consuming an adequate amount of protein in your daily diet than supplementing with BCAA's is unnecessary and not offering you additional benefits.
    However if you enjoy them, then continue to utilize them.

Personally I enjoy them as an intra-workout drink just to switch it up from water sometimes.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

â–¬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) â–¬

♦Currently full on dad-bod status (minus the dad part)

*NEW TRAINING LOG* ; https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178104781

MovereTe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MovereTe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MovereTe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MovereTe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MovereTe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MovereTe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MovereTe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MovereTe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MovereTe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MovereTe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MovereTe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been on and off BCAA's for a year and a half now. I enjoy BCAA's if I'm fasting, which I am right now (sort of a safety net.) Otherwise, as long as you're consuming adequate protein you're fine in my honest opinion.

Do you guys think that the half lb of muscle per week thing is a legitimate limit, or are there other factors?

Why does Christian T think that you can gain almost twice that, and why does he claim "50% of your workout" relies on your bcaas, or does he just mean protein and bcaa in general, ie "Diet is 50% of your appearance"

Thanks for all the answers gang.

InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do you guys think that the half lb of muscle per week thing is a legitimate limit, or are there other factors?

Why does Christian T think that you can gain almost twice that, and why does he claim "50% of your workout" relies on your bcaas, or does he just mean protein and bcaa in general, ie "Diet is 50% of your appearance"

Thanks for all the answers gang.
    You're not going to gain .5lb/week of LBM.
    If you're lucky you may get that per month.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

â–¬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) â–¬

Originally Posted by InItForFitness View Post
    You're not going to gain .5lb/week of LBM.
    If you're lucky you may get that per month.
    Uh, bad news bud. lol. I've been doing it since may.

Uh, bad news bud. lol. I've been doing it since may.
    You think you've been gaining .5lb/week of LBM?
    If so...I'm afraid I'm the one bearing bad news.

Bud.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

Originally Posted by InItForFitness View Post
    You think you've been gaining .5lb/week of LBM?
    If so...I'm afraid I'm the one bearing bad news.

Bud.
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to be condescending.

Oh wait, I forgot, everytime I used to come here, you were always rude. Didn't you get banned at one point? And you had a different avatar. Like, of you in a singlet or something?

Anyway...

I started at about 158, bulked to 172, then cut to 162, and have been bulking again. I have before and after pictures, and I took measurements and fat calipers and pictures every single wednesday.

I'm 17 lbs heavier than I was when I started at the beginning of may, and have had a few week mini cut in there, and am slightly over 10lbs in muscle tissue heavier.

Why is that shocking to you? I followed everyone's advice on the forum then, I was just looking for some more tips, now that I'm about 5-6 months in.