dkwojt is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkwojt is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkwojt is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkwojt is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkwojt is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkwojt is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkwojt is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkwojt is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkwojt is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkwojt is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkwojt is on a distinguished road. (+10)

White Bread vs. Wheat Bread vs. Rye Bread: Which one is better for you?

I haven't used white bread in a long time. I switch off between wheat, whether it is a seven grain or cracked, and rye. But is there really any difference between the breads?

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    A difference how? I am sure there will be slight calorific differences yes, but if you are avoiding white bread because you think its bad for you, I have some bad news that may shock you, please take a seat.
    Eat the damn yolk.

Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Gxp23 View Post
    A difference how? I am sure there will be slight calorific differences yes, but if you are avoiding white bread because you think its bad for you, I have some bad news that may shock you, please take a seat.
    Lol, I just knew you would be here!
    PB's:

Squat - 85kg (187lb) 3 x 5
    Overhead Press - 45kg (99lb) 3 x 5
    Deadlift - 112.5kg (248lb) 1 x 5
    Bench Press - 65kg (143b) 3 x 5
    Barbell Row - 57.5kg (126lb) 3 x 5

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Vegmaster View Post
    Lol, I just knew you would be here!
    lol, need to spread the word!
    Eat the damn yolk.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Viewing individual foods, sans content and dose, as "good" or "bad" is not particularly logical.

To start learning the basics about nutrition, please read the relevant stickies at the top of the nutrition forum.

CroatiaBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CroatiaBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CroatiaBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CroatiaBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CroatiaBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CroatiaBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CroatiaBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CroatiaBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CroatiaBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CroatiaBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CroatiaBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    White all the way and cheaper better...

Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vegmaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by CroatiaBrah View Post
    White all the way and cheaper better...
    Plus, lends itself better to pb

I do have wholemeal aswell, for extra fibre but sandwiches always taste better on white.
    PB's:

Squat - 85kg (187lb) 3 x 5
    Overhead Press - 45kg (99lb) 3 x 5
    Deadlift - 112.5kg (248lb) 1 x 5
    Bench Press - 65kg (143b) 3 x 5
    Barbell Row - 57.5kg (126lb) 3 x 5

loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Which ever has the mustard covered animal parts between them!
    "There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift"

-Jón Páll Sigmarsson

laurier51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) laurier51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) laurier51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) laurier51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) laurier51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) laurier51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) laurier51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) laurier51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) laurier51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) laurier51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) laurier51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In terms of macros? not really much of a difference. With good whole grain bread you get more fibre and depending on the brand sometimes more vitamins and minerals. Once I started eating only whole grain I found it hard to go back to the taste of white bread.

StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000) StephSkywalker is just really nice. (+1000)
    I might be in the minority to say I prefer the taste of Wheat bread.. It's what my mom always bought growing up, so I am used to the taste. White bread taste fine as well however, so I would eat that as well if I get a good deal on some
    ~ What is Dead will Never Die Crew

~Add me as a friend on MyFitnessPal & Instagram: StephSkywalker

I also have a Log. Check it out

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152157923

Gym Maxes - 420 Squat/300 Bench/465 Deadlift = 1,185 Total

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Let me inject a bit of confusion to this thread: What about the various varieties of breads at Subway restaurants? Many people order "whole wheat" thinking it is significantly healthier than Italian. Guess what? Look at the ingredients (keeping in mind that the main ingredients are listed first).
    9-GRAIN WHEAT: Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Whole Wheat Flour, Contains 2% Or Less Of The Following: Wheat Gluten, Oat Fiber, Yeast, Soybean Oil, Wheat Bran, Calcium Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin D3), Salt, Rolled Wheat, Rye Nuggets, Dough Conditioners (Datem, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate), Yeast Nutrients (Calcium Sulfate, Ammonium Sulfate), Degermed Yellow Corn Meal, Rolled Oats, Rye Flakes, Caramel Color, Triticale Flakes, Parboiled Brown Rice, Refinery Syrup, Honey, Barley Flakes, Flaxseed, Millet, Sorghum Flour, Flavor (Yeast Extract, Salt, Natural Flavor). Contains wheat.
    ITALIAN (WHITE) BREAD: Enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, sugar, contains less than 2% of the following: soybean oil, yeast, wheat gluten, calcium blend (calcium carbonate, vitamin d3), salt, dough conditioners (acetylated tartaric acid esters of mono- and diglycerides, ammonium sulfate, calcium sulfate, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, potassium iodate, amylase [enzymes]), wheat protein isolate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, flavor ( yeast extract, salt, natural flavor). Contains wheat.
    As for nutritional info, the 6" 9-Grain Wheat Bread has 210 calories, 2 grams fat, 410 mg sodium, 41 grams of carbs, 4 grams of fiber, 3 grams sugar, and 8 grams protein.
    Meanwhile, 6" Italian (White) Bread gives you 200 calories, 2 grams fat, 390 mg sodium, 38 grams carbs, 1 gram fiber, 5 grams sugar and 7 grams protein.
    As you can tell from the last couple of words next to the ingredients for Italian bread, refined white bread is still made from wheat flour. I am not sure that it is so easy to conclude that the wheat bread is better than the white bread.
    That being said, subway's bread is not the same as the bread you find in the grocery store. In the grocery store you can actually find 100% stone ground whole wheat if you desire. This is why you should not assume that all “wheat bread” is the same as “whole wheat bread.”

I personally enjoy nature’s own 100% whole wheat, as I like the fluffiness of this bread

and it is hard to beat the calories per slice

Sweatin' to death in FL jubjubrsx's Avatar
    jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ever thought of buying a bread machine and making your own...seriously takes almost no time at all. other then the cooking time(3hrs roughly and most have timers) then you can add all the healthy stuff you want....I've made in the past whole wheat pumpkin protein bread, had chia seeds, and some flax in it as well. seriously you could make up 10 batches at a time put them in ziptop bags so you just dump it in the bread maker, and add a egg or water, milk (or put dry milk in the dry mix packet) honey what wet ingredients you want throw it in the bread maker and hit start...

fresh bread is so awesome tasting as well. or heck easy way to make pizza dough as well.
    Runner Crew (48.6 miles Dopey Challenge -- Completed)
    Skinny to fat back to skinny crew
    Just say no to Carbs

ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ted01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jubjubrsx View Post
    ever thought of buying a bread machine and making your own...seriously takes almost no time at all. other then the cooking time(3hrs roughly and most have timers) then you can add all the healthy stuff you want....I've made in the past whole wheat pumpkin protein bread, had chia seeds, and some flax in it as well. seriously you could make up 10 batches at a time put them in ziptop bags so you just dump it in the bread maker, and add a egg or water, milk (or put dry milk in the dry mix packet) honey what wet ingredients you want throw it in the bread maker and hit start...

fresh bread is so awesome tasting as well. or heck easy way to make pizza dough as well.
    Precisely. I even have a flour mill and grind my own grains. If I had enough land, I'd grow the grains themselves. Besides, there is simply no better smell than fresh baking bread wafting through the house!!

To the OP: It totally depends on what you mean by "better". If you mean "better" from a macro perspective, that's one question. From an insulinogenic perspective, that's another question. From a taste perspective, that's another question. If you mean from a general nutrition perspective, well, that is yet another question. I try to keep my insulin levels as steady as I can so I prefer foods that have lower insulinogenic properties. For this reason, I prefer whole grain breads. Realizing that the glycemic index of a food is pretty useless since quantity is not accounted for and since foods are rarely eaten all by themselves, white bread has a GI almost as high as table sugar (87 vs. 100), whereas wheat bread made with 75% cracked wheat kernels has a GI of 48. Again, use caution when looking at the GI of foods as it isn't a particularly good measuring system and I only use it as an example of why it's hard to answer your question.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by dkwojt View Post
    I haven't used white bread in a long time. I switch off between wheat, whether it is a seven grain or cracked, and rye. But is there really any difference between the breads?
    I enjoy rye bread more than the others, so that's what you should enjoy too.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    I enjoy rye bread more than the others, so that's what you should enjoy too.
    Hahahahahaha

MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10) MNTiburon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dkwojt View Post

The major difference is fiber. White bread has the bran removed which is where the fiber is concentrated. It also has some additional B vitamins.
    Borussia Dortmund back-2-back Bundesliga champs

getbigbro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getbigbro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getbigbro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getbigbro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getbigbro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getbigbro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getbigbro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getbigbro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getbigbro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getbigbro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) getbigbro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    +1.. the biggest differences are the loss of fiber due to the processing of white bread and also whitebread tends to be higher in sugar..Based on your post a year or so ago regarding fat loss - go with a low to 0 sugar (3 grams or less) whole wheat (I like aunt millies - cheap and good)

Originally Posted by laurier51 View Post
    In terms of macros? not really much of a difference. With good whole grain bread you get more fibre and depending on the brand sometimes more vitamins and minerals. Once I started eating only whole grain I found it hard to go back to the taste of white bread.

isaiah41v10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isaiah41v10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isaiah41v10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isaiah41v10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isaiah41v10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isaiah41v10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isaiah41v10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isaiah41v10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isaiah41v10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isaiah41v10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) isaiah41v10 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Actual whole wheat bread (should contain more fiber than sugar, no HFCS) would be more beneficial because of fiber.

On the path to beast mode patnshan's Avatar
    patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I prefer the sprouted wheat variety. Started eating it because I thought it was better for me. Once I realized it wasn't necessarily better for me, I kept eating it because it tastes good. Particularly good toasted with PB on it!
    "Exercise to stimulate, not to annihilate. The world wasn't formed in a day, and neither were we. Set small goals and build upon them" - Lee Haney

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ezekiel bread FTW.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

metalmancpa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) metalmancpa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) metalmancpa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) metalmancpa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) metalmancpa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) metalmancpa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) metalmancpa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) metalmancpa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) metalmancpa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) metalmancpa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) metalmancpa has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It seems that every time a food is posted, the "if you think it's bad you're misinformed" statement always comes up.

I, now more than before, am moving away from all the "bad food" media and researching more, but outside of body building/body composition (IIFYM etc) some foods exhibit some characteristics that can be healthier than others. White bread gets the stigma because it's processed, the favorite types of foods to be attacked by the "healthy". Whole grain breads have more fiber, some nutrients get stripped in the processing of white bread, etc. The differences though are not as glaring as I once thought, but, in the case of bread I choose the whole grain - same carbs, same calories - in this case I don't think I'm missing out by not having white bread. Plus, I just think any bread other than white tastes better (the main reason of choice for me).

On the path to beast mode patnshan's Avatar
    patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnshan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PBateman2 View Post
    Ezekiel bread FTW.
    If you gotta get frozen, then yep. We have a bakery in town that makes the stuff fresh! Mmmmmm.
    "Exercise to stimulate, not to annihilate. The world wasn't formed in a day, and neither were we. Set small goals and build upon them" - Lee Haney