basura1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) basura1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) basura1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) basura1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) basura1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) basura1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) basura1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Sedentary cut questions

Hey I am currently at 137 pounds 20% bf, around 5'9 22 year old male.

I am just beginning a cut, I want to reach around 8-10% bodyfat (pretty much just become lean), I am building a home gym right now, as I will likely begin a clean bulk after this cut and im kinda lazy, so I'm trying to make a sedentary cut for the moment.

This is the first week, maintenance should be around 1850-1750 calories and i am going for just 1100 (750-650 deficit) calories. That is 80 gram protein, 50g fat, and 76 carb, the question is, can i drop more, is this fine, or is it too low??

I figured that the max deficit would be ((137*.20)*31)=841 but im still a bit concerned i might **** myself up

I wish to make it quick (less suffering), but at the same time spare as much muscle as possible...how often should i refeed to avoid too much muscle loss? Is once every 2 weeks fine or better to do it once a week?

Also, would less stress (IE no activity) encourage LBM preservation, or will it burn the muscle since it's not being used instead?

No Longer Look Like This InItForFitness's Avatar
    InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Based on your current stats you likely have very little muscle mass to preserve, I would not suggest cutting.
    If anything try to just maintain your current weight until you can start a lifting program and begin bulking.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

â–¬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) â–¬

♦Currently full on dad-bod status (minus the dad part)

*NEW TRAINING LOG* ; https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178104781

AAroc is on a distinguished road. (+10) AAroc is on a distinguished road. (+10) AAroc is on a distinguished road. (+10) AAroc is on a distinguished road. (+10) AAroc is on a distinguished road. (+10) AAroc is on a distinguished road. (+10) AAroc is on a distinguished road. (+10) AAroc is on a distinguished road. (+10) AAroc is on a distinguished road. (+10) AAroc is on a distinguished road. (+10) AAroc is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    137 lbs!? And a 5'9'' male, 22 year old only eating 1100 calories a day? Bad ideas all around.

No matter how sedentary you are I'm sure you're still burning calories that need to be considered. Your calorie intake seems very unhealthy.
    BULKING

Current: 183 lbs
    Goal: 195 lbs by December

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Can you post a current pic?

Rather than cut then bulk....just bulk now.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

basura1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) basura1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) basura1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) basura1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) basura1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) basura1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) basura1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PBateman2 View Post
    Can you post a current pic?

Rather than cut then bulk....just bulk now.
    There are some pics here
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157104143

137 lbs!? And a 5'9'' male, 22 year old only eating 1100 calories a day? Bad ideas all around.
    How much should i cut for then, i if am only burning around 1800 calories in theory?
    The weight is misleading, i've been skinny fat all my life but weight less than it seems IMO.

Based on your current stats you likely have very little muscle mass to preserve, I would not suggest cutting.
    I don't have much, normal for a skinny guy that rarely does anything (i did put some muscle before but i lost it though)
    I'd still like to conserve what i have though lol

For some reason i am more interested in being lean than in growing at the moment, i am open to suggestions though

The problem with bulking is
    -I'm not feeling energetic enough to do it
    -I really dislike bulking without truly seeing any of the progress. My skinny fatness does not seem to be the kind that quickly looses fat and makes muscle. I do grow, but the fat seems to stay.
    -I doubt i can't afford to put to o much fat
    Last edited by basura1; 09-25-2013 at 05:40 PM.

nlevy12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nlevy12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nlevy12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nlevy12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nlevy12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nlevy12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nlevy12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nlevy12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nlevy12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nlevy12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nlevy12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would definitely bulk at your stats. If you cut too much, you are going to look like a twig with little to no muscle. If you bulk, you will probably have noob gains, and build muscle and loss fat at the same time.

Originally Posted by nlevy12 View Post
    I would definitely bulk at your stats. If you cut too much, you are going to look like a twig with little to no muscle. If you bulk, you will probably have noob gains, and build muscle and loss fat at the same time.
    Dude did you look at the pic here?
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157104143

Guys, I know you are trying to help with the bulk instead thing, but you are kind of misunderstanding me IMO.

The fat is not making me look any better, and i really hate cutting so i figured i rather do it first, then try as best as possible to stay lean. It may seem backwards to you, but i rather be leaner than more muscular but fatter. I do want mass, but in the short term i rather be lean.

How long could the noob gain effect last for?

So the thread was not intended as a "should I bulk or cut?", rather more of an "is it safe/effective to cut like this?"

I still appreciate the warning though, and if you think that this cut could for some reason make me loose way too much muscle then please tell me, but IMO if i bulk and add more than desired fat it's gonna be a greater mess...

I also asked about the refeed frequency due to the wish to preserve LBM lol
    Last edited by basura1; 09-25-2013 at 06:30 PM.

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You need to seriously watch this. You aren't understanding.

BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

Originally Posted by PBateman2 View Post
    You need to seriously watch this. You aren't understanding.

:|
    That guy just elaborated the same ideas that you guys have.

I've been skinny fat all my life, i doubt i will be lucky enough to be "one of those guys" who got lean while gaining.
    My genetics are just not that fit for that.

And even if i lost a bit of body fat % or stayed the same, i would still need to make a cut to get rid of it.

Then again my main goal ATM is loosing fat.....

Let's just put aside the mass gaining part for a moment, and redefine my cut as an attempt to loose fat, disregarding any plans for bulking afterwards.

However, i'd like to conserve my health and LBM, so the question would be is the cut described healthy enough for that? how often are refeeds needed? Can it be done with no exercise?

softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ^ Nope.

Not gonna happen.

You'll just look worse and worse.

You have minimal and close to no LBM. If you keep on cutting, you'll just look like a scrawnier version of yourself right now.

A bulk would be good to fill up your muscle bellies and look a bit more proportional.

A cut is never an option for skinny fats.

I was a victim of skinny fat last year, now I've bulked up, I may still look a bit chubs, but man I feel so confident because I no longer only have a belly - I have some muscles to back it up.
    Retired 74kg PL Open Division (3 meets)

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    Not only will you look worse, you will put your state of health in a very critical area, not good, if you bulk, you stand a better chance of building muscle to begin with, as I assume you are a beginner, not only will it fill you out, and make you look better, you will minimize your fat gains for a while, and maybe even lose some fat in the progress.

If you are intent on cutting, I would suggest seeking medical help first before you do anything rash, a doctor may be able to help you with your issues better, rather than a bunch of experienced dieters on a bodybuilding forum, as I suspect some of you issues may be more mental than physical.

I wish you luck.
    Eat the damn yolk.

btalaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) btalaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) btalaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) btalaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) btalaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) btalaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) btalaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) btalaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) btalaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) btalaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) btalaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The reason for a cut is to lower body fat to see muscles...basically you have no muscles to see. You need to build that muscle before it can be seen.
    B -80k
    S -160k
    D -90k

9/12/2013

TriggerBuster is on a distinguished road. (+10) TriggerBuster is on a distinguished road. (+10) TriggerBuster is on a distinguished road. (+10) TriggerBuster is on a distinguished road. (+10) TriggerBuster is on a distinguished road. (+10) TriggerBuster is on a distinguished road. (+10) TriggerBuster is on a distinguished road. (+10) TriggerBuster is on a distinguished road. (+10) TriggerBuster is on a distinguished road. (+10) TriggerBuster is on a distinguished road. (+10) TriggerBuster is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by softpounder View Post
    ^ Nope.

Not gonna happen.

You'll just look worse and worse.

You have minimal and close to no LBM. If you keep on cutting, you'll just look like a scrawnier version of yourself right now.

A bulk would be good to fill up your muscle bellies and look a bit more proportional.

A cut is never an option for skinny fats.

I was a victim of skinny fat last year, now I've bulked up, I may still look a bit chubs, but man I feel so confident because I no longer only have a belly - I have some muscles to back it up.
    Completely 100% agree here. I was a 5'8" 145lb skinnyfat mess only concerned with cutting more because I wanted to see my abs desperately after being fat all my life. Decided that I should bulk and the day I did that was probably the best day of my life. From then on I was always worried that I was gonna only look fatter as I bulked but really after 3 and a half months I don't really look any fatter at all (little tiny bits that I notice here and there like lower belly and love handles but nothing major compared to before) yet I have gained noticeable amounts of muscle mass.

Seriously OP, look into bulking for a while. You're actually an inch taller than I am and you're lighter than I was at that time so take it from someone's own personal experience - bulking will be a good decision and you'll love yourself for it.

We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd have to agree with previous posters on building lean muscle mass before cutting, and I'll tell you why:

It will be so much damn easier to drop fat once you have a solid base. Also, you'll find that as you build more muscle, you will naturally appear leaner; you will carry your weight better, as it were.

Consider investing in a gym membership. Personally I am not motivated to do anything productive in my own home.
    I love you.

Up and at 'em at 3:30am APipeDream's Avatar
    APipeDream is just really nice. (+1000) APipeDream is just really nice. (+1000) APipeDream is just really nice. (+1000) APipeDream is just really nice. (+1000) APipeDream is just really nice. (+1000) APipeDream is just really nice. (+1000) APipeDream is just really nice. (+1000) APipeDream is just really nice. (+1000) APipeDream is just really nice. (+1000) APipeDream is just really nice. (+1000) APipeDream is just really nice. (+1000)
    Did not read much, just looked at stats and pics. PLEASE do NOT cut, that would be horrible at your height and weight. You need to clean bulk. If you are debating this, you aren't getting it.

/thread

ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ummme is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    OP... this is not even a question, please bulk... theres a damn good reason why every person is saying this. You have no knowledge or experience on how to "build a body"... 20 people that do know how, gave you the same advice... please listen.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by basura1 View Post
    Hey I am currently at 137 pounds..... 5'9 22 year old male.....

......I am just beginning a cut....
    Doesn't compute, OP. How do you think you're going to look when you're 120 pounds?

Get on a beginner bodybuilding program, start eating at a moderate surplus, and then train to put on 30-35 pounds of muscle. By that time, then might be the time to think about a "cut."

WTH is with this upsurge of posters in this forum trying their best to look like walking skeletons?

Is this no longer BodyBuilding.com???
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    WTH is with this upsurge of posters in this forum trying their best to look like walking skeletons?

Is this no longer BodyBuilding.com???
    ^^True story!!!!!!!
    "There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift"

-Jón Páll Sigmarsson

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Doesn't compute, OP. How do you think you're going to look when you're 120 pounds?

Exactly the same i look now but with less fat % and slightly less muscle?

I'm going to cut to only ~10% body fat, I'm not trying to compete or some ****...

How much muscle would I REALLY loose in this (considering re feeds)? What percentage would i loose?

It's not like i'm going to look significantly worse (or better really) with 5% less muscle but less fat...

Wouldn't a cut with more fat to loose later on take the same or more time to complete?

OP... this is not even a question, please bulk... theres a damn good reason why every person is saying this. You have no knowledge or experience on how to "build a body"... 20 people that do know how, gave you the same advice... please listen.
    They tried a technique and it worked...but why can't they give reasons as into why the question of cutting before bulking sucks so much? They are treating this as if what i was doing was way too deadly or something, or was going to leave me with a 4 inch arm and grotesque ribs.

No Longer Look Like This InItForFitness's Avatar
    InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    They tried a technique and it worked...but why can't they give reasons as into why the question of cutting before bulking sucks so much? They are treating this as if what i was doing was way too deadly or something, or was going to leave me with a 4 inch arm and grotesque ribs.
    Cutting before bulking is not the issue, however if you're not obese there is no need for it.
    If you're already relatively small, even though you may be at a higher BF% than you desire, you'll be much better off starting to add LBM than trying to expose the very small amount you may have.

Edit : This is your future OP
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

â–¬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) â–¬

♦Currently full on dad-bod status (minus the dad part)

*NEW TRAINING LOG* ; https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178104781

We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50) We Drowned will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Exactly the same i look now but with less fat % and slightly less muscle?

I'm going to cut to only ~10% body fat, I'm not trying to compete or some ****...

How much muscle would I REALLY loose in this (considering re feeds)? What percentage would i loose?

It's not like i'm going to look significantly worse (or better really) with 5% less muscle but less fat...

Wouldn't a cut with more fat to loose later on take the same or more time to complete?

Dear, OP

I COMPLETELY understand what you're getting at, and I think most of us on this board that were once fat kids can, at some level, sympathize. If you decide to cut, fine, cut, but I can almost guarantee you that you will fall right back into your current physique, and/or "yoyo".

Exhibit A: Go to any gym and look at (a)cardio room (b)weight stacks. In general, where are the majority of the are the fatties? Cardio. For years. No progress.
    Exhibit B: Dieters. They usually fail without exercise. And they are almost always ephemeral without resistance training.

You will only see impressive and long-lasting results with a resistance training. The more muscle mass you have, the better you will carry your weight. But you will not gain muscle mass without a calorie surplus.
    I love you.