xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Chicken marinade recipes

Chicken is the cheapest protein source I can buy a lot of, but I need some recipes where I can marinade the chicken so that it's not dry and tasteless. Any chicken marinade recipes? And perhaps some cooking tips? Thank you.
    "Get up, and don't ever give up".

sdunn96 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sdunn96 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sdunn96 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sdunn96 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sdunn96 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sdunn96 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sdunn96 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sdunn96 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sdunn96 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sdunn96 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sdunn96 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you grill them out.
    Take them first and pound them flat. My wife has a round flat rock she found on the beach.
    So I will pound mine flat.....makes cooking on the grill quicker, and also seems to retain the moisture.....odd I know.

As far as marinades go,
    I like Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Wing Sauce.
    I like some marinades from Lawry's

I am still trying to get the marinade figured out for Chipotle's style of marinade.....I like theirs a lot.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by xuerebx View Post
    Chicken is the cheapest protein source I can buy a lot of, but I need some recipes where I can marinade the chicken so that it's not dry and tasteless. Any chicken marinade recipes? And perhaps some cooking tips? Thank you.
    Into a 1-gallon ziplock bag, mix:

*1 cup vegetable oil of your choice (olive oil works very well)

*1 cup vinegar of your choice (red wine vinegar works very well)

*1 teaspoon salt

*1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper

*2 teaspoons onion powder

*2 teaspoons garlic powder

*2 teaspoons oregano

*2 teaspoons paprika

*1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Add 6 b/s chicken breasts, squeeze excess air out if the bag, seal it, put it in the fridge for 24 hours (or at least overnight). Remove breasts, discard the marinade, and cook using the method of your choice (sautee pan, BBQ grill, George Foreman, etc.).

Don't overcook. Cut into one of the breasts to check for doneness; if no pink, it's done.

--------------------------------------------------

Repost from the crock pot thread:

Not really a 'recipe;' more of a 'how-to' for kitchen beginners:

Spray a little pam (or wipe with a paper towel with a little olive oil on it) in the bottom of your crock pot to make cleanup effortless. Then rough-chop two stalks of celery, two carrots, and half a medium onion (none of this is critical, btw).

Place your chicken breasts on the veg (I usually cut large ones up into 4-oz portions).

Here's a 'sure-fire' seasoning blend that will work well with just about anything; salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, and parsley.

Seasoned-up, and ready to roll.

Cooking times will vary a bit between various crock pot manufacturers; consult your owner's manual. Generally though, for the pictured portions, 'high' for 2-3 hours or 'low' for 5-6 hours should be plenty as long as the lid is kept in place for the duration of the cooking time. If in doubt, take out one of the pieces, and cut into the center of it. If there's no pink, it's done.

While the vegetables can be eaten, they're usually pretty tasteless after the long cook time; they're in there simply to provide some flavor to the chicken, and can be discarded after cooking the chicken.

Note also that the pot is sitting on the stove top simply because that was the best-lighted location for the pics. DO NOT attempt to use such a pot in anything other than the Crock Pot base it came with.

On a plate, for dinner.

No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

I'd rather be riding! sourmash1973's Avatar
    sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000)
    McCormick Grill Mates has a lot of tasty marinades. I use them all the time. Good stuff!
    Beginning Weight (1/13/2013)- 245

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you." -Tyrion Lannister

"Death created time to grow the things it would kill." -Rust Cohle

5 reason you may not be losing weight/have hit a plateau. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160842471

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by sourmash1973 View Post
    McCormick Grill Mates has a lot of tasty marinades. I use them all the time. Good stuff!
    ^^^^ This. McCormick's stuff FTW.

Quick and easy, and always tasty.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

I'd rather be riding! sourmash1973's Avatar
    sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    ^^^^ This. McCormick's stuff FTW.

Quick and easy, and always tasty.
    Yep! I usually poke some holes in my chicken breasts with a fork (try not to go all the way through, because all your moisture will cook out) and let them marinate over night. Nice flavor all the way through.
    Beginning Weight (1/13/2013)- 245

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you." -Tyrion Lannister

"Death created time to grow the things it would kill." -Rust Cohle

5 reason you may not be losing weight/have hit a plateau. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160842471

LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50) LinzCapp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My fave chicken marinade for grilling/baking:
    3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    (4) 1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp cayenne
    Marinate for a few hours then grill. Sooo good!
    salt/pepper
    Lindsay Cappotelli TeamMuscleTech
    lindsaycappotelli.blogspot.com

tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm lazy and buy ones in a bottle.
    >.<

xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thank you all for the suggestions! And thanks IronWill for the howto: picture guide!

Apart from marinade, what low calorie sauces do you guys use? Or perhaps high calorie sauces if that's what you like. I prefer low calorie sauces myself because I like to hit my macros from the food and leave just a little bit of leeway for the meat and pasta sauces. Got a couple of yummy sauce recipes I'll share later when I'm at home.

As for the McCormick Grill Mates - there is no such shop/brand in Malta. But we've got a couple of good meat shops too.

And as a side note I *LOVE* rib eye steak, but I keep it to a once weekly treat because it's quite high in calories and fat....and it's a bit expensive.

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    Buying zip lock bags now.
    Eat the damn yolk.

Originally Posted by Gxp23 View Post
    Buying zip lock bags now.
    Yeah they're good for marinating stuff. When I'm out of zip lock bags I just improvise using a new small plastic bag, sucking out the air, and tying knots.

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    Yeah they're good for marinating stuff. When I'm out of zip lock bags I just improvise using a new small plastic bag, sucking out the air, and tying knots.
    I used to poach eggs using cling film/saran rap as I hated any of the egg getting wasted, attempted 3 eggs in one once....end well it did not lol.
    Eat the damn yolk.

bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LinzCapp View Post
    My fave chicken marinade for grilling/baking:
    3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    (4) 1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp cayenne
    Marinate for a few hours then grill. Sooo good!
    salt/pepper
    Definitely giving this a try!

StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Buy a whole chicken. Spatchcock it (look it up on youtube). Dry brine it (sprinkle it with a teaspoon of salt per pound of chicken and let it sit in the fridge overnight). Add whatever other seasonings you want (pepper, paprika, curry powder, who cares). And use the method described here to grill it: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...en-recipe.html

Then you get this, which I made a couple days ago:

The legs and wings are especially good eaten with your hands. The thighs will reheat well in the oven. The breast meat is especially good chopped up on salads or mixed with mayo and chipotle to make a smoky chicken salad sandwich.
    Last edited by StoliFun; 09-26-2013 at 02:21 AM.
    Heterologously Vaccinated Superior Race Crew

Kurt Russell, Ray Winstone, Mickey Rourke Crew

"The dominant economic order rests on unofficial dependency and official individualism. Survival requires the transposition of these two ideas: official solidarity and unofficial individualism."

bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50) bennmuz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I use this with chicken or beef and its bang on!

- Dice up your chicken and stick in ziplock bag or small tub.
    - Add chili powder, 1x small chopped chili, coriander, cumin, a little cinnamon, juice of half a lime and maybe a little tobbasco sauce.
    - Marinade for about 30mins to an hour.
    - Stick in the oven on low with some diced peppers and a chopped onion for a couple of hours.
    - Once cooked, throw into a pitta or a tortilla and enjoy.

MAGIC!

agc1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agc1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agc1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agc1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agc1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agc1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agc1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agc1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agc1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agc1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agc1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs up

My favorite is fresh lemon and pepper.
    Nuff said

StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    As far as cooking boneless skinless breasts go, the quickest method is to pan roast them. This video is really helpful:

Basically, you lightly pound some chicken breasts so they're a bit flatter than they usually come. Season with whatever (especially salt/pepper). Sear them in an oven-safe pan for a couple minutes on the smooth side, flip them over, stick the pan in a hot oven for 5-7 minutes. Rest and serve.

There are a couple things I'd do differently. 1) I'd dry brine the breasts. That is to say, I'd season them generously with kosher salt on both sides and park them in the fridge for a couple hours if not overnight. 2) Make sure to carve them against the grain before you serve them. Pounding them a bit will help tenderize them, but slicing them against the grain will make each bite especially tender.
    Heterologously Vaccinated Superior Race Crew

Kurt Russell, Ray Winstone, Mickey Rourke Crew

"The dominant economic order rests on unofficial dependency and official individualism. Survival requires the transposition of these two ideas: official solidarity and unofficial individualism."

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys! I'll try them in the coming weeks.

Originally Posted by StoliFun View Post
    Pounding them a bit will help tenderize them, but slicing them against the grain will make each bite especially tender.
    Quoting ^^^^this in particular so it doesn't get missed.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Pounding is what I do to it, but I didn't know what slicing against the grain means...so I ran a search:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/w...the-grain.html

That cleared mostly everything up (although I never knew this also applied to chicken breast because I never saw those "lines" mentioned). Now the only challenge is to cut the meat against the grain, hehe.

God Bless You, Mami Robsolutely's Avatar
    Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robsolutely is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Very disappointed with the recommendations so far.

Go fresh OP... Fresh lightly smashed garlic cloves, fresh chopped scallions, fresh chopped herbs, fresh minced chiles, fresh grated ginger, fresh lemon zest, fresh cracked black pepper, etc. Extra Virgin Olive Oil will be the liquid vehicle for infusing those flavors into the chicken. Put all or some of this in a ziploc and marinate for 1-2 days.

You can customize the above to your liking, however limit the intense dry spices. Bad cooks tend to overdo it with spices since they do not know how to extract the type of flavor they are looking for otherwise. It's a sort of crutch. A little bit of smoked paprika goes a long way, but you're not making a rub for BBQ here.

Also, nix the store-bought marinades. More flavor at a more affordable price can be had by going fresh. You can experiment by adding a bit of tomato juice and worcestershire sauce to the above customizable base, but don't go crazy. Whatever you do, do not marinade in a salt or strong acid, such as vinegar or lemon juice... It will prematurely "denature" and/or "cook" the meat.

I prefer bone-in split breasts with skin on, but you can use the thick cut (unpounded) boneless/skinless breasts as well. Basically, preheat oven to 400 F. Meanwhile, get a flat skillet piping hot and add about 1-8-1/4 inch of canola oil. While the oil is heating up, you will want to salt immediately the chicken with kosher salt on both sides. Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt is great. Stop cooking with fine table salt!!

Cook the skin side first to get it crispy and deep golden brown, then flip and carefully add water or broth to cover a little less than halfway. Do not wet the skin of the chicken. You're basically braising the meat the rest of the way, which ensures moist chicken while keeping the skin crispy. Dot the skin with a knob of unsalted butter and finish in the oven until it reaches an internal temperature of about 148-151 F. The water should completely evaporate and you will have juicy and moist every single time.
    Last edited by Robsolutely; 09-26-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Thanks for the detailed description man!

When I use some of these recipes I'll take some photos and post them here.