LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Finally have a real gym in my area, but need input...

Been working out with machines for two years at local crap YMCA, used to be CYC, as they have old antique free weights (rusted, bench pad torn and has the glitter in it, that's how old), but now a real gym is opening up in May and want to start using free weights now. Question is where do I begin? I have read the Allpro's and such, but does it matter I have been using machines for the past two years? Do I need to do a beginner routine still? I just know I would feel lost when doing free weights and just need to know where to start. Any advice or input would be appreciated. Or questions also.

Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500)
    I'd start a beginners routine

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by LEFKAS View Post
    Been working out with machines for two years at local crap YMCA, used to be CYC, as they have old antique free weights (rusted, bench pad torn and has the glitter in it, that's how old), but now a real gym is opening up in May and want to start using free weights now. Question is where do I begin? I have read the Allpro's and such, but does it matter I have been using machines for the past two years? Do I need to do a beginner routine still? I just know I would feel lost when doing free weights and just need to know where to start. Any advice or input would be appreciated. Or questions also.
    Choice of routine has to be based on your current level of development.

If you've already seen an increase of 15-20 pounds of muscle, your 'noob' gains are now pretty well used up, and you'd benefit more from an intermediate-level program than one for a beginner.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Choice of routine has to be based on your current level of development.

If you've already seen an increase of 15-20 pounds of muscle, your 'noob' gains are now pretty well used up, and you'd benefit more from an intermediate-level program than one for a beginner.
    Do you think a beginner program like stronglift's 5x5 might be a temporary solution to get him acclimated to the proper form? Then move on to an intermediate once he is secure?
    Rolling with the punches.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by peacesells View Post
    Do you think a beginner program like stronglift's 5x5 might be a temporary solution to get him acclimated to the proper form? Then move on to an intermediate once he is secure?
    Beginner doesn't imply any more, or any less focus on form, it's just a program that increases the load the fastest. Any program 5x5 will emphasize form as much or as little as OP wants it to.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500)
    This purely for form on lifts

peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I was thinking in regards to the amount of weight lifted. Lighter weight allows a fuller concentration on form. If he were pushing his capabilities in his very first squat session it may end up badly.

I could be wrong. I'm not an expert. Just a cautious man.
    Rolling with the punches.

Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    looks like you have aclimated to lifting after 2 years...on machines that is...

I cant speak of the transition from machines to free weights as Ive always leaned to free weights for the meat of my work load and rely on machines for cool downs///although there are a few Hammer strength machines that are pretty good!! ...but if I were you I would develop a pyramid of sets working your way up on weight with varying reps (higher weight less reps) - using free weights...

Start slow first couple of weeks so you can get a feel of it then you can start adjusting your days ///Maybe on a PUSH PULL split plus leg training

Anyways something to think about if you want to move away from the All body workout...

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    The differences between well-laid-out beginner programs and intermediate-and-above programs are in volume/frequency as well as rate of progression. Noobs, and those who have made relatively little progress previously, will generally make more-timely progress on some form of 3-day-a-week, full-body program that features relatively aggressive progression.

Those who have already gone through such a program and have already squeezed all of the possible, rapid gains out of it, will be better-served by using something with less frequency, more volume, and a slower progression scheme.

Where someone is at, beginner/intermediate/advanced-wise, has very little to do with how "long" they've been training, or how "strong" they are currently. It's all about how far someone has already advanced from where they were (condition-wise) on their first day in the gym.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50) LEFKAS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dencio View Post
    looks like you have aclimated to lifting after 2 years...on machines that is...

I cant speak of the transition from machines to free weights as Ive always leaned to free weights for the meat of my work load and rely on machines for cool downs///although there are a few Hammer strength machines that are pretty good!! ...but if I were you I would develop a pyramid of sets working your way up on weight with varying reps (higher weight less reps) - using free weights...

Start slow first couple of weeks so you can get a feel of it then you can start adjusting your days ///Maybe on a PUSH PULL split plus leg training

Anyways something to think about if you want to move away from the All body workout...
    That's my problem. I know that I will have to learn proper form first. So I was just trying to figure out if I should start at a lower weight and less reps or just enough to do a beginners routine. That's where I am struggling. Just where to begin all around.

That's my problem. I know that I will have to learn proper form first. So I was just trying to figure out if I should start at a lower weight and less reps or just enough to do a beginners routine. That's where I am struggling. Just where to begin all around.
    If you have any doubt, just go with a beginner program such as allpro's. Be conservative on all your start loads; that way, you'll be under no real pressure to meet your numbers for the first few weeks while you learn proper form.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Mattshaw1988 View Post
    I'd start a beginners routine
    Geez you love to give out advice in here, newb.

Please expand on the reasoning for this craptastic recommendation?
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    There is nothing wrong with old pieces of iron. Beat up looking or not gravity works the same way with them as the nice new shiny ones do. As long as the gear is safe you can do a lot with a little.

With that said there are numerous beginner's workout programs detailed on this site and beyond. It all depends on your goals.

Originally Posted by rnacdaley View Post
    There is nothing wrong with old pieces of iron. Beat up looking or not gravity works the same way with them as the nice new shiny ones do. As long as the gear is safe you can do a lot with a little.

With that said there are numerous beginner's workout programs detailed on this site and beyond. It all depends on your goals.
    Maybe I should clarify. There is one bench and a leg press and that's it. I just want to build muscle. Not get huge, just look good.

does not deny being fat. AnthropoidApe's Avatar
    AnthropoidApe is just really nice. (+1000) AnthropoidApe is just really nice. (+1000) AnthropoidApe is just really nice. (+1000) AnthropoidApe is just really nice. (+1000) AnthropoidApe is just really nice. (+1000) AnthropoidApe is just really nice. (+1000) AnthropoidApe is just really nice. (+1000) AnthropoidApe is just really nice. (+1000) AnthropoidApe is just really nice. (+1000) AnthropoidApe is just really nice. (+1000) AnthropoidApe is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    If you have any doubt, just go with a beginner program such as allpro's. Be conservative on all your start loads; that way, you'll be under no real pressure to meet your numbers for the first few weeks while you learn proper form.
    FWIW I can vouch for this program being an excellent setting to get your form right on some key barbell exercises. What you learn about form in 5 or 10 weeks will most likely stand you in good stead with intermediate programs later as well. You will also then be more informed by experience to decide what you should do next. And the progress you see on this program is nothing to sniff at btw.

Machines -> free weights, the difference is going to knock your socks off imho. You will wish you hadn't spent all that time using machines.
    My Indian name is Dances With Barbells.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156386183
    All-Pro Simple Beginner's Routine Wiki: http://allpro-sbr.wikia.com/

rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnacdaley is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Maybe I should clarify. There is one bench and a leg press and that's it. I just want to build muscle. Not get huge, just look good.
    That does clarify. With that said I can definitely understand your enthusiasm! I am sure you are farther along than you think. Now with a new facility you can take it to a new level. Good luck on your goals.