wcsoccerfan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Simply not making gains

I've been doing starting strength for close to 8 months now, and I've really just not made the progress that so many folks report. I've gained 12-14 lbs in weight, and I have improved on several lifts, but just not impressively. In 8 months (with a month off for late-May through mid-June for work related reasons) these are my 5RM numbers.

Squat (120 to 155)
    Deadlift (135 to 185...comfortably)
    Bench Press (125 to 145)
    Overhead Press (80 to 92.5)
    Power Clean (95 to 115)

Most of those gains came in the first few months of the program...meaning I've been stuck at or near these weights for months (I'm sure the whole month off in June thing hurt me a bunch). Sometime in late-August, after 2+ resets for each lift at/near the weights listed above, I started trying to alter the program some, although not extensively. I had a small surge about when I decided to start doing an extra set of squats/bench/deadlift, and subbed out one day of squats for weighted lunges. That helped my squats improve a good bit (5-10 lbs plus shorter rest times between sets) but I've not made much progress on the other exercises. The bench press probably bothers me the most, as I've been stuck between 140-145 since April.

Does anyone have any friendly advice or different/better programs? SS and Stronglifts are pretty much the go to starter programs from all I've read. My goals are primarily strength and a little bit of size wouldn't hurt. I'm still adding weight as well. I've gained 4 lbs in the last month, so I know I've got some calorie excess, but I'm completely open to suggestions at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000)
    What are you macros like what are you eating. If your doing a solid compound based strength program 3x a week that's the place to look.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Consistency, nutrition and programming are the keys to success. Figure out what you are missing and you'll fix your problem.
    Experience, not just theory

Originally Posted by Tedp View Post
    What are you macros like what are you eating. If your doing a solid compound based strength program 3x a week that's the place to look.
    I eat with a lot of diversity. Generally 3500+ calories/day (I've always had a wicked fast metabolism) Lots of eggs/dairy/meat, 3 main meals a day with 2-3 snacks. When I eat carbs they're usually complex carbs (whole grain pasta or whole wheat cereal). I also eat a ton of vegetables. If it matters, I usually down a protein shake after each workout as well (Syntha 6).

kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Slow progress is good progress . You could experiment with different reps and sets everyone's body reacts differently. I am currently trying to increase my bench also.

InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You dont eat 3.5 a day, if you did you would be closer to 200lbs. Eat 4-5k a day.
    My Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149612633

Crew Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157295413&p=1141543273#post1141543273

Da Utubez: http://www.youtube.com/user/Inspeckdadeck

Originally Posted by InspecktaDeck View Post
    You dont eat 3.5 a day, if you did you would be closer to 200lbs. Eat 4-5k a day.
    Yes, because telling me what I do and do not do is helpful to me. I guarantee you I eat that much.

themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by InspecktaDeck View Post
    I eat 3.5 a day...I can think of several other posters who are at that much cals or higher within +/- 10% of my weight...

Originally Posted by wcsoccerfan View Post
    I've been doing starting strength for close to 8 months now, and I've really just not made the progress that so many folks report. I've gained 12-14 lbs in weight, and I have improved on several lifts, but just not impressively. In 8 months (with a month off for late-May through mid-June for work related reasons) these are my 5RM numbers.

Squat (120 to 155)
    Deadlift (135 to 185...comfortably)
    Bench Press (125 to 145)
    Overhead Press (80 to 92.5)
    Power Clean (95 to 115)

Most of those gains came in the first few months of the program...meaning I've been stuck at or near these weights for months (I'm sure the whole month off in June thing hurt me a bunch). Sometime in late-August, after 2+ resets for each lift at/near the weights listed above, I started trying to alter the program some, although not extensively. I had a small surge about when I decided to start doing an extra set of squats/bench/deadlift, and subbed out one day of squats for weighted lunges. That helped my squats improve a good bit (5-10 lbs plus shorter rest times between sets) but I've not made much progress on the other exercises. The bench press probably bothers me the most, as I've been stuck between 140-145 since April.

Does anyone have any friendly advice or different/better programs? SS and Stronglifts are pretty much the go to starter programs from all I've read. My goals are primarily strength and a little bit of size wouldn't hurt. I'm still adding weight as well. I've gained 4 lbs in the last month, so I know I've got some calorie excess, but I'm completely open to suggestions at this point.

Thanks in advance.
    Since everyone is already trying to point to your cal intake as a reason, i'll try another. Mind explaining how you approach your training sessions? Are you warming with lighter weights first before doing your real sets? Are you bringing the bar down to your torso when you bench? Are you squatting to depth, sitting back, maintaining a safe arch to protect your lumbar?
    ig: @monkaycrak

Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173015051

5/7/16 Meet Results: 391/237/534 @ 161.

9/24/16 Meet Results: 402/242/528 @ 159.

3/18/17 Meet Results: 402/253/545 @ 163.

adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50) adgattoni will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    IMO programming may be an issue. What routine are you on? How does your routine plan for progression, and are you following it to the letter?

Going from 120-155 squat in 8 months is too slow... On a full body split, adding 5lb each workout (on a bulk), you should have been able to add that much in 2.33 weeks (yes very much srs). Especially on Starting Strength or Stronglifts.
    Read it, learn it, live by it:

Calculating Calorie & Macronutrient Needs (AKA HOW TO BUILD MUSCLES)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Originally Posted by themonkay View Post
    I eat 3.5 a day...I can think of several other posters who are at that much cals or higher within +/- 10% of my weight...

Since everyone is already trying to point to your cal intake as a reason, i'll try another. Mind explaining how you approach your training sessions? Are you warming with lighter weights first before doing your real sets? Are you bringing the bar down to your torso when you bench? Are you squatting to depth, sitting back, maintaining a safe arch to protect your lumbar?
    I definitely warm up with 2-4 sets of 3-5 reps, depending on the exercise and weight.

Form might be the one thing I worry about most. My squat depth is about 5 degrees below parallel, and I try to sit back as much as possible. I know I'm still further forward than I probably should be, but I can't sit back into it any further without losing balance...still I'm 90% confident my squat is okay. I know my gains on squat are still coming. My rest time between sets is going down and I'm not usually out of breath anymore under the weight...but I might as well add 50lbs every time I try to go up 5lbs. It just seems like compared to most others on squat, my progress is excruciatingly slow.

Bench is another story. I def. go down to my chest, and I don't bounce it off or any of that crap, but I've played with my grip a good bit, and I'm sure that hasn't helped me. I had shoulder problems early on, so I brought in my grip and try to keep my elbows in closer to my torso, but doing so causes me not to feel it in my chest, and it feels mostly like an ant. delt and tricep exercise.

As for deadlift/power cleans, I admittedly need to take a video of myself and analyze it compared to what it should be. I try to have good form, but its hard to know for sure without comparing yourself to a standard side by side.

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The first thing is diet, like other people said, but you said you're gaining weight so your calories should be ok. The next obvious thing is protein - are you eating enough protein? The next things is the macros, though I didn't have any problem with gaining numbers without tracking my macro. (Not that I got into huge numbers, but I was going up steadily).

Other question is if you're getting enough sleep, and you're only working out 3 non-consequtive days, right? (Working out 2 days in a row will hurt your gains, not help them.)

Good form like the previous poster mentioned is important, to.

Lastly, if you're body responds better to more periodization (doing different weights and different reps), and doesn't respond well to straightforwardly increasing the weight each time like Starting Strength does, maybe you should try doing All Pro's -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=155009423

Each week you lift 100%, 90%, then 80% of your weight. Week after that you add 1 rep and do it again. You start at 8 reps, move up to 12 reps, then add weight to the bar and back to 8 reps.

I agree with the other posters, though, that it's extremely weird and non-typical that if you're 6"2 your squat would only go from 120 to 155 over 8 months if you're eating decently (just a calorie surplus, plenty of protein, and decently nutritionally balanced meals). That kind of initial increase should happen in something like a month. I do wonder if your form is way off.

Originally Posted by adgattoni View Post
    IMO programming may be an issue. What routine are you on? How does your routine plan for progression, and are you following it to the letter?

Going from 120-155 squat in 8 months is too slow... On a full body split, adding 5lb each workout (on a bulk), you should have been able to add that much in 2.33 weeks (yes very much srs). Especially on Starting Strength or Stronglifts.
    As far as routine goes...

Workout A
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift

Workout B
    Squat
    OHP
    Power Clean

These have been done on a M/W/F basis, although as I mentioned, recently I started subbing out W squats with weighed lunges for some diversity...but only a month or so ago. I do occasionally sneak in some curls or pullups, but nothing excessive. Now...consistency, which someone else mentioned, might come into play. I do miss probably one out of every 8 or 10 workouts. (I work in a lab, and sometimes I have to work 14 or 16 hour days...not much I can do to get around it)

I also started the program at embarrassingly low weights compared to my 5RMs. Something like 95 for bench and squat, and 105 for deadlift, in case that's the next question.

themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    what set # do you usually fail on?

Log:

Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
    The first thing is diet, like other people said, but you said you're gaining weight so your calories should be ok. The next obvious thing is protein - are you eating enough protein? The next things is the macros, though I didn't have any problem with gaining numbers without tracking my macro. (Not that I got into huge numbers, but I was going up steadily).

Other question is if you're getting enough sleep, and you're only working out 3 non-consequtive days, right? (Working out 2 days in a row will hurt your gains, not help them.)

Good form like the previous poster mentioned is important, to.

Lastly, if you're body responds better to more periodization (doing different weights and different reps), and doesn't respond well to straightforwardly increasing the weight each time like Starting Strength does, maybe you should try doing All Pro's -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=155009423

Each week you lift 100%, 90%, then 80% of your weight. Week after that you add 1 rep and do it again. You start at 8 reps, move up to 12 reps, then add weight to the bar and back to 8 reps.

I agree with the other posters, though, that it's extremely weird and non-typical that if you're 6"2 your squat would only go from 120 to 155 over 8 months if you're eating decently (just a calorie surplus, plenty of protein, and decently nutritionally balanced meals). That kind of initial increase should happen in something like a month. I do wonder if your form is way off.
    x2 on the bold. I personally never did great with straight sets

Log:

Alpha As Fuking Fuk bigdogfarmhand's Avatar
    bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigdogfarmhand has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Eat a little more, lift heavier every week, I'm talkin 2.5 at a time
    Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder.

InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by wcsoccerfan View Post
    Yes, because telling me what I do and do not do is helpful to me. I guarantee you I eat that much.
    So your telling me you eat plenty but are still 180 at 6'2 and after 8 months of lifting still repping sub 200lb numbers.... right.
    My Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149612633

Crew Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157295413&p=1141543273#post1141543273

Da Utubez: http://www.youtube.com/user/Inspeckdadeck

DuckworthJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) DuckworthJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) DuckworthJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) DuckworthJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) DuckworthJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) DuckworthJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) DuckworthJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) DuckworthJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) DuckworthJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) DuckworthJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) DuckworthJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Eat more clean calories and transition one week of 4-6 reps then the next till failure. Thats what I did and it worked great. Check/ share my video below, little motivation!
    My Video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VMGhYwI1Ww

kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kntkody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    stick with it and the gains will come, when you work out regularly and push yourself to work hard and you can eventually lift more weight

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    *Eat more

*Train harder

*Get more sleep/rest

It's not rocket science, OP.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733