BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Deadlift Form Critique [Videos Available]

I have a detailed description of the lower back problem I'm having in the injuries section, the thread is called "Tight back for just over a year" if you want to have a look. One of the possible causes of the tightness is obviously my form, so I'd be grateful if you guys could have a look at it for me. Any help would be appreciated.

Had a few issue with my shins getting grated af after these. The week after I tried stiff leg deads for the first time and it seemed to actually provide a bit of relief for the tightness - is there any precedent for that? Would be interested to hear you guy's thoughts. Cheers.

Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your hips rise before the bar leaves the ground.

I think its because your shoulders are lined up behind the bar. Your scapula needs to be over the bar to make it move, so your body wants to tilt forward to move the scapula forward over the bar. Maybe set up so your shoulders are directly over the bar, NOT behind the bar.

I could be wrong about the above though. Someone with more knowledge needs to weigh in.

You're also 6'4", so setting up might be hard for you. You should try Sumo Deadlifts. They will probably be more comfortable for you, and you'll probably have better & safer form. I prefer Sumo deadlifts to conventional deadlifts.
    You might pull more or less weight on Sumo, depending on your body's leverages. I pull less weight on sumo but I feel much safer and my form is MUCH better.

Here's an example of what sumo deadlifts look like

Last edited by Lastman13; 09-17-2013 at 09:17 PM.

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Would help to get a shot so we can see your feet, as well. You might find a higher hip position to be better as a starting point in the lift. Sumos, mentioned above, are worth a shot, too.

BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigVics is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Lastman13 View Post
    Your hips rise before the bar leaves the ground.

I think its because your shoulders are lined up behind the bar. Your scapula needs to be over the bar to make it move, so your body wants to tilt forward to move the scapula forward over the bar. Maybe set up so your shoulders are directly over the bar, NOT behind the bar.

I could be wrong about the above though. Someone with more knowledge needs to weigh in.

You're also 6'4", so setting up might be hard for you. You should try Sumo Deadlifts. They will probably be more comfortable for you, and you'll probably have better & safer form. I prefer Sumo deadlifts to conventional deadlifts.
    You might pull more or less weight on Sumo, depending on your body's leverages. I pull less weight on sumo but I feel much safer and my form is MUCH better.

Here's an example of what sumo deadlifts look like

I noticed that about my hips, I tried to control in my next sets but it's still visible. From what you're saying I guess I should bring my scapula a bit more forwards, I'll try that. Are there no issues with knees over the bar?

I'm trying to avoid sumo deadlifts because I want the exercise to work my back more. However it has been suggested to me on many occassions.

Thanks for all your responses. I will upload videos of todays attempts later.

Did my back workout yesterday and I had an appointment with a gym instructor today (on advise of physio). Here's the video from yesterday taking in your suggestions:

In regards to my appointment with the gym instructor, after giving me a bunch of gruelling core stability exercises to do, he laughed at me when I said I do 100kg deadlifts - he says I shouldn't do more than 50, because I'm not strong enough :s don't really know what to make of it. I think I might drop to 60-70 and work on my core a lot more... would be good to hear what you guys think, cheers.

On a side note...

Are my pullups ok?

Anything guys?

WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BigVics View Post
    Anything guys?
    step 1 - bury that "gym instructor" somewhere where no one will ever find his body, and disregard any of the BS that he told you.

step 2 - make sure that your videos are not set to private.

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by WeedyRainfall View Post
    step 1 - bury that "gym instructor" somewhere where no one will ever find his body, and disregard any of the BS that he told you.

x2 ^^ Take your video off "This video is set to private", put your "instructor" on "ignore.

Originally Posted by WeedyRainfall View Post

Originally Posted by SkydogGinsberg View Post
    x2 ^^ Take your video off "This video is set to private", put your "instructor" on "ignore.
    Interesting thoughts on the gym instructor. While I'm clearly able to do more than 50kg deadlifts, could it be that the tightness in my lower back (a tightness which I've now had for over a year) is due to a lack of core stability? In which case he may be right?

I've now taken the videos off private, again, any advice is welcome. Thanks guys.

Deadlifts - 90kg

Pullups

Anything guys?

That's a better view angle. On these, you're hyperextending your back too far at the lockout, but it doesn't look like there's much force from your glutes squeezing into the bar. Do the opposite: less back, more butt. Also, at the floor break, your heels are coming off the floor, meaning you're pushing off w/ your toes. Do the opposite: more heels, less toes.

Look like your starting hip position was higher, which is probably helpful for your height. Did it feel any different?

That's a better view angle. On these, you're hyperextending your back too far at the lockout, but it doesn't look like there's much force from your glutes squeezing into the bar. Do the opposite: less back, more butt. Also, at the floor break, your heels are coming off the floor, meaning you're pushing off w/ your toes. Do the opposite: more heels, less toes.

Look like your starting hip position was higher, which is probably helpful for your height. Did it feel any different?
    Thanks a lot for your reply. When you say you don't see much force from my glutes, do you mean during the drive from the floor? If so, I agree but I'd be interested to know how you came to that conclusion from the video - may help me use my glutes better.

The starting position is something I'm actually not even conscious of. I thought the goal was to have your hips as low as possible otherwise it was considered bad form. It is definitely harder for me to get into the lower hip starting position.

When you say you don't see much force from my glutes, do you mean during the drive from the floor?
    The part from the knees up to lockout. Right as the bar is crossing your knees towards the finish, more of the movement in the vid seems directed towards using your back hyperextension for the lockout, rather than squeezing your glutes into the bar for the lockout. Switch that focus. (don't hyperextend at all, just stand straight)

The starting position is something I'm actually not even conscious of. I thought the goal was to have your hips as low as possible otherwise it was considered bad form. It is definitely harder for me to get into the lower hip starting position.
    The hip position should be where you're comfortable, which may/may not be as low as possible (and it doesn't matter). The bigger part of the picture is making sure the bar breaks from the floor at the same time you're hips start breaking upward. Hip too low will have your hips starting too early, wasting energy and screwing w/ your setup.

Here are a couple great articles on higher hips—one from Tate, the other from Rippetoe:
    http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...ps-and-tricks/
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...o_the_deadlift
    Last edited by SkydogGinsberg; 09-22-2013 at 06:46 PM.

The part from the knees up to lockout. Right as the bar is crossing your knees towards the finish, more of the movement in the vid seems directed towards using your back hyperextension for the lockout, rather than squeezing your glutes into the bar for the lockout. Switch that focus. (don't hyperextend at all, just stand straight)

The hip position should be where you're comfortable, which may/may not be as low as possible (and it doesn't matter). The bigger part of the picture is making sure the bar breaks from the floor at the same time you're hips start breaking upward. Hip too low will have your hips starting too early, wasting energy and screwing w/ your setup.

Here are a couple great articles on higher hips—one from Tate, the other from Rippetoe:
    Much appreciated dude. I will have a read and post another vid next time I do deadlifts.

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pretty much everything Sky has said is spot on.

I would ditch the gloves, they'll be worse as you get to heavier weights. Also you want to pull backwards, through your heels and once you get the bar to knee level...drive the hips forward.

At your height I would look into pulling sumo, might take some time to get flexible enough to get that low but it's probably better for you.
    OG

Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    Pretty much everything Sky has said is spot on.

I would ditch the gloves, they'll be worse as you get to heavier weights. Also you want to pull backwards, through your heels and once you get the bar to knee level...drive the hips forward.

At your height I would look into pulling sumo, might take some time to get flexible enough to get that low but it's probably better for you.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try to pull backwards although I am having some trouble with my shins getting destroyed lol. Last time I did deadlifts it was bleeding so much I actually had to wrap tissue around it - funnily enough it's only my right shin that gets it.

I've wanted to avoid sumo due to the fact I've heard it makes the exercise more of a leg exercise, however I have done them before and I found them much easier. I may have to reconsider :P

Hey guys sorry I haven't posted anything sooner, I have been taking your advice on board and putting into practice. Here are my latest videos:

Week 1

Week 2

A few comments: With the high hip position, not exactly sure if my back is straight or not, dunno if you can tell by the nervous to the right (where the mirror is). Also in Week 2 i.e today, after my sets it was literally getting painful for me to standup lol, I don't know whether to read that as burn or damage - it did subside after 10-20mins though.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Vic.

Bump. Any comments are appreciated guys.