Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    garrettbv1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

beginner squat help.

So I can't go below parallel either due to crappy form or I'm not very flexible. So I was wondering while I work on the flexibility by stretching every day would it be better to do normal squats with weights under my heels or to do box squats so I know for sure I am going below parallel.

I'm brand new to lifting just started SS last week so any help is appreciated.

WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    don't do box squats. don't do the weights under the heels thing, rippetoe specifically advises against it. also, read the book.

there are plenty of videos on youtube about hip mobility and assorted stretches for squat mobility. find some that work and do them everyday.

look up the "third world squat" and also the goblet squat. do goblet squats and bodyweight squats and stretches everyday until you can break parallel. don't bother loading up a bar on your back until you can break parallel, it is just a waste of time.

for starters -

nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nykwan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by garrettbv1 View Post
    So I can't go below parallel either due to crappy form or I'm not very flexible. So I was wondering while I work on the flexibility by stretching every day would it be better to do normal squats with weights under my heels or to do box squats so I know for sure I am going below parallel.

Box squats doesn't necessarily mean partial ROM. I use a very low box and go well below parallel.

IMHO, for now, just squat low as you can without rounding the back. And keep working on flexibility and then go lower over time.

Funny thing is, even if you go down only 4inches....thats probably what 90% of the people I see do anyway...and they think they are hitting parallel too. LOL
    My vids
    http://www.youtube.com/user/nykwan1/videos

Originally Posted by WeedyRainfall View Post
    don't do box squats. don't do the weights under the heels thing, rippetoe specifically advises against it. also, read the book.

look up the "third world squat" and also the goblet squat. do goblet squats and bodyweight squats and stretches everyday until you can break parallel. don't bother loading up a bar on your back until you can break parallel, it is just a waste of time.
    I read the book but also read stuff on the internet so I wasn't sure whose opinion was right on squatting with weights under the heels. Also I'm doing all of this at home with my brothers rack and barbell...we don't have dumbells to do goblet squats so I guess body squats and continue stretching for now.

LizzyBrazil will become famous soon enough. (+50) LizzyBrazil will become famous soon enough. (+50) LizzyBrazil will become famous soon enough. (+50) LizzyBrazil will become famous soon enough. (+50) LizzyBrazil will become famous soon enough. (+50) LizzyBrazil will become famous soon enough. (+50) LizzyBrazil will become famous soon enough. (+50) LizzyBrazil will become famous soon enough. (+50) LizzyBrazil will become famous soon enough. (+50) LizzyBrazil will become famous soon enough. (+50) LizzyBrazil will become famous soon enough. (+50)

there is no problem with going parallel on a squat.
    I mostly do only a bit below parallel.
    [<o>] [<o>]
    + Always Seeking knowledge +
    + Future Personal Trainer +
    + Brazilian Split: Every day is leg day! +
    [<o>] [<o>]

Originally Posted by LizzyBrazil View Post
    there is no problem with going parallel on a squat.
    I mostly do only a bit below parallel.
    My problem is I can't go parallel because I'm not flexible enough yet. I don't have a problem with it...it's actually my goal to go below parallel.

WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeedyRainfall will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I read the book but also read stuff on the internet so I wasn't sure whose opinion was right on squatting with weights under the heels. Also I'm doing all of this at home with my brothers rack and barbell...we don't have dumbells to do goblet squats so I guess body squats and continue stretching for now.
    you can "goblet" squat with just a plate or any other heavy object. doesn't have to be a kettlebell or a dumbbell. the point is not to do a heavy goblet squat, the weight is just like a counterbalance that will keep you from tipping over backwards. just make sure you have a good stable grip on the object and support the weight with your upper back, not with your biceps.

IronTale is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronTale is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronTale is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronTale is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronTale is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronTale is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronTale is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronTale is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronTale is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronTale is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronTale is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you can "goblet" squat with just a plate or any other heavy object. doesn't have to be a kettlebell or a dumbbell. the point is not to do a heavy goblet squat, the weight is just like a counterbalance that will keep you from tipping over backwards. just make sure you have a good stable grip on the object and support the weight with your upper back, not with your biceps.
    Great tip. This is what I advise beginners to do. Goblet squats are great for them.
    www.irontale.com

https://www.********.com/iron.tale

So take like a 45 and just bear hug it? Tomorrow I work out so I'll def mess around with that and figure something out.

So take like a 45 and just bear hug it? Tomorrow I work out so I'll def mess around with that and figure something out.
    yeah, doesn't even need to be a 45, if you have a smaller 25 plate or something, that would work too. the point is not to lift a heavy weight with this exercise, the point is to work on mobility. that being said, don't use a 2.5 lb plate.

yeah, doesn't even need to be a 45, if you have a smaller 25 plate or something, that would work too. the point is not to lift a heavy weight with this exercise, the point is to work on mobility. that being said, don't use a 2.5 lb plate.
    I got you...thanks everyone for all the advice hopefully in a month or two I can start hitting parallel with a bar and really start to see some strength gains.

Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lastman13 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't know why the first post said don't do box squats. box squats are one the best ways to teach a new lifter how to squat.

Originally Posted by Lastman13 View Post
    I don't know why the first post said don't do box squats. box squats are one the best ways to teach a new lifter how to squat.
    because his problem is flexibility. box squats are not a tool for developing flexibility.

So its been about a week and I've been stretching everyday 2-3 times a day and nothing has really changed. I understand things aren't going to fix itself overnight but it is demoralizing as **** that I can't do the biggest staple workout.

I can go below parralel holding a plate out in front of me and I've been doing those to failure but with a bar I just feel like I'm gonna fall over backwards.

How long do you guys think it's gonna take for stretching to finally kick in?

So its been about a week and I've been stretching everyday 2-3 times a day and nothing has really changed. I understand things aren't going to fix itself overnight but it is demoralizing as **** that I can't do the biggest staple workout.

I can go below parralel holding a plate out in front of me and I've been doing those to failure but with a bar I just feel like I'm gonna fall over backwards.

How long do you guys think it's gonna take for stretching to finally kick in?
    if you can go below parallel with a plate in front of you, you are probably flexible enough to go below parallel with a barbell.

if that is the case, you need to start thinking about improving your technique on the squat, which is a long road for a lot of people. guys that squat hundreds of pounds, and have been squatting for years and years, are often still thinking about improving their technique. show me a guy that says his squat is perfect, and i'll show you a guy with 10 things he can improve.

you might try putting a moderate weight on the barbell and see if that helps. for me, and for a lot of other people, squatting with just the bar or a light weight is very awkward and feels strange. my first warmup set with 135 on squat days usually feels really weird and loose and awkward. my next warmups at 225 feel much better, and my form is much better than it is at 135. then the 275 set feels and looks even better than the 225 set.

keep video taping your squats and watching, and posting videos here for advice. i video literally every set of squats that i do for review. all of them. i usually see something that i think i can improve between every set.

So I'm not sure really how to explain what's happening in my squat and I forgot to record a video but I made a video kinda explaining what's happening now.

The more weight I added to see if I didn't have enough to balance me the less my ass and hips would go down and the more my upper body leans really far forward. Is that a mobility problem or me just being retarded and just not being used to the squat form? I mean I can squat below parallel no problem holding a counter weight out in front of me so I would think its not a mobility issue anymore but I can't call it.

you need to post a video of your squat. there are any number of things that you may be doing wrong, but we can't tell without seeing you squat.

Alright I'll record both with the plate out in front of me and one with the bar.

DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10) DizzyPhyziks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey man i noticed your height and weight. The descriptive video makes it seem to me like you might need to try a wider stance with your toes pointed slightly outwards.

Also, research the differences between high bar and low bar back squats. Low bar kind of has that feeling you described in the video.

But yeah the best thing you can do is post a vid of the squats.
    Get over yourself.
    Rep aint gains.

Welp now you can see how awful my squats are and why I need to workout haha.

Jo3Buddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jo3Buddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jo3Buddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jo3Buddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jo3Buddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jo3Buddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jo3Buddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jo3Buddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jo3Buddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jo3Buddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jo3Buddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try widening your stance and point toes out do this without weight and squat. You should be able to go parallel just on a body squat. I had the same problem as you have although I could hit parallel but it gave me knee pains. Widening the stance has solved this.

You can't really tell in the video but my stance is pretty wide I will def stretch it out further and see how that goes.

duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500) duck1dong is not very helpful. (-500)

I wouldnt use a box to judge depth, not safe. Give yourself time to get comfortable with the movement. One of the biggest aspects is tighten your chest and lats when you descend this will help keep the back straight and allow a lower descent. Experiment with different poundages and angles. Your femur length may coincide with hip rotation with you go below parallel and the hips may be too tight at first for this, so allow time to get lower descent. Also, if your goal is to protect the knee by activating the VMO, make sure you go low on some sets by using less weight. If you are trying to increase poundage and you cannot get all the way down, partials are ok too. Experiment and find which appeals to you, your body will tell you which feels correct.

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I found the Defranco Limber 11 -
    http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...y-routine.html

+ Hamstring stretches
    + Bodyweight squats

To be very helpful.

I can see what you mean from your video. I suspect you may be ending up using the wrong muscles...the other thing I might suggest is pausing at the bottom of the squat. Your exercises are going up and down, but concentrate on sitting at the bottom (without any weight, or with just minimal weight).

I'll def be doing those stretches. Otherwise should I just continue to do the squats with the plates or should I just use a bar and go as low as I can until I can hit parallel?

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'll def be doing those stretches. Otherwise should I just continue to do the squats with the plates or should I just use a bar and go as low as I can until I can hit parallel?
    I'd start with bodyweight, then just the bar (with no weight on it).

Alright sounds like a plan. One last question...I was doing starting strength but I'm not really sure I am liking it. I am thinking about starting up AllPro Beginner routine and want to know how I fit squats in there if I'm not gonna be using any weight until I get my form down. Just do a certain number of sets or?

brato will become famous soon enough. (+50) brato will become famous soon enough. (+50) brato will become famous soon enough. (+50) brato will become famous soon enough. (+50) brato will become famous soon enough. (+50) brato will become famous soon enough. (+50) brato will become famous soon enough. (+50) brato will become famous soon enough. (+50) brato will become famous soon enough. (+50) brato will become famous soon enough. (+50) brato will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Leaning way too far forward, weak glutes and hammies.
    Bench - 275
    Dead - 485
    Squat - 365

BluePepper is on a distinguished road. (+10) BluePepper is on a distinguished road. (+10) BluePepper is on a distinguished road. (+10) BluePepper is on a distinguished road. (+10) BluePepper is on a distinguished road. (+10) BluePepper is on a distinguished road. (+10) BluePepper is on a distinguished road. (+10) BluePepper is on a distinguished road. (+10) BluePepper is on a distinguished road. (+10) BluePepper is on a distinguished road. (+10) BluePepper is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by brato View Post
    Leaning way too far forward, weak glutes and hammies.
    I agree. Too much forward lean - when you do that, it's hard to hit depth because you start feeling like you're going to fall over if you any deeper.

Another thing I noticed is that you look very, very tentative when you're going down with weight on your back. It looks to me like you are uncomfortable getting your butt "in the hole" because you are worried about getting trapped.

Alright sounds like a plan. One last question...I was doing starting strength but I'm not really sure I am liking it. I am thinking about starting up AllPro Beginner routine and want to know how I fit squats in there if I'm not gonna be using any weight until I get my form down. Just do a certain number of sets or?
    You basically don't do the squats and just do the flexibility stuff instead, including bodyweight or just the bar squats.