Thread: caloric needs..

Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Angry caloric needs..

So, I've been re evaluating my caloric needs, because I hadn't been following what I should have.
    I used different methods to calculate my needs, and got different results each time.
    The last method being the simple (x)kcal per lb/day.
    (Which happened to be the most)
    My bmr was under 2k each time. Which I didn't see as normal.
    Not really sure where to go from here.
    As I'm confused.
    I've read the stickies and stuff.
    Just wondering if anyone could help guide me along.
    R.I.P. Crew:
    Zyzz
    Rich Piana
    Dallas Mccarver
    My dreams

*Proud Muscletech supporter*

Registered User liketobodybuild's Avatar
    liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    What help do you need? Be specific?

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Keep in mind that the formulas are only for estimating. Use the formula for your starting place, see how your body reacts. Figure out your TDEE, maintenance calories and if you want to bulk add 200 cal, if you want to cut drop 200 calories. For bulking you don't want to gain more than half a pound a week, otherwise you'll end up packing on the fat. Don't over think this, it's really a simple process. If everything says your BMR is @2000 calories, then add or subtract 200 to that and stick with it for a couple weeks. If nothing is happening, add/subtract another 200.

Good Luck.
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ummabeast is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Get-n-fit View Post
    Keep in mind that the formulas are only for estimating. Use the formula for your starting place, see how your body reacts. Figure out your TDEE, maintenance calories and if you want to bulk add 200 cal, if you want to cut drop 200 calories. For bulking you don't want to gain more than half a pound a week, otherwise you'll end up packing on the fat. Don't over think this, it's really a simple process. If everything says your BMR is @2000 calories, then add or subtract 200 to that and stick with it for a couple weeks. If nothing is happening, add/subtract another 200.

Good Luck.
    So you are saying, my BMR being at, 1974, I should eat 1774 calories?
    That's hardly healthy for a male, to eat that low daily..
    R.I.P. Crew:
    Zyzz
    Rich Piana
    Dallas Mccarver
    My dreams

Aknomad is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aknomad is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aknomad is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aknomad is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aknomad is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aknomad is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aknomad is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aknomad is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aknomad is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aknomad is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aknomad is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Ummabeast View Post
    Where are you getting your information that 1774 is not healthy for a male?

Originally Posted by Aknomad View Post
    Where are you getting your information that 1774 is not healthy for a male?
    1774 calories is hardly enough calories to sustain healthy living for a long period of time.
    R.I.P. Crew:
    Zyzz
    Rich Piana
    Dallas Mccarver
    My dreams

Registered User liketobodybuild's Avatar
    liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liketobodybuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    1774 calories is hardly enough calories to sustain healthy living for a long period of time.
    What are your stats? Your OP is so damn vague its making me frustrated. I asked you a question and u did not answer.
    If you do not have high muscle mass and high activity u expect to be eating 1000000 calories everyday?
    If you have not been losing weight you are eating too much. If you are losing too much you are eating too little. It's that simple.
    If you have been eating more than 1.7k a day and have not lost good weight that means u should be lowering your calories. AGAIN YOUR OP IS VAGUE AS ****

Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't confuse BMR with TDEE.

BMR = Basel Metabolic Rate = What you burn in a coma. Are you in a coma? I doubt it.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure = What you burn doing daily activities = BMR x an activity multiplier (1.2-2.2)

TDEE is what you subtract from, not BMR. The mentioned method ((x)kcal per lb/day.) is to find TDEE not BMR. That's why you are getting different numbers, although that is also an unreliable method.

Jgregoire687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jgregoire687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jgregoire687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jgregoire687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jgregoire687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jgregoire687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jgregoire687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jgregoire687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jgregoire687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jgregoire687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You got answers that you do not like/believe!?

Can't help what you believe. You certainly won't starve to death on nearly 1800 calories. You might be uncomfortable for a bit.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You're 5-7. 1,774 cals can be plenty depending on your activities. If you want to lose fat you'll end up a good amount lower than that towards the end of the cycle.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Sorry. It just seems like eating this low of calories. For as long as I have. I don't seem to have lost any fat.
    And I don't really want to go down to 1500 or something cals.

I have a high bf% and just looking to cut down again.
    I was 310 and got all the way down to 197.
    Then had surgery. Gained some.
    Lost a little. Had another surgery(currently recovering)
    And I sit 215-220ish.
    Bf% is semi high. 20-25% I'd say. Maybe more.
    Sorry I have been vague.
    I've got a nasty sore throat/sinus problems.
    And some other personal stuff.
    R.I.P. Crew:
    Zyzz
    Rich Piana
    Dallas Mccarver
    My dreams

0Maximus0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0Maximus0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0Maximus0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0Maximus0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0Maximus0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0Maximus0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0Maximus0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0Maximus0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0Maximus0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0Maximus0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0Maximus0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your BMR is what you burn on any given day without activities like walking. your TDEE is what you burn with all the walking you do and other normal activities. You may have to do a rough TDEE calculation the adjust weekly til you find what works for you at a healthy pace.

and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Try a certain amount of calories...re-evaluate after a week....did you lose?...okay...keep rolling with it...didnt lose?....skim off some calories or increase cardio...go from there...don't over complicate it. Formulas are just guesstimations...every body will respond differently to different dietary protocols.
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Online Coaching darr_fit@yahoo.com
    Like me on ********:https://www.********.com/darrfitness
    "The strongest steel is forged in the fires of h*ll"

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    U
    And I don't really want to go down to 1500 or something cals.

Well none of us want to go low cal now do we? Well guess what if it was easy EVERYONE would be sporting sixpacks

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miakiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    U
    Well none of us want to go low cal now do we? Well guess what if it was easy EVERYONE would be sporting sixpacks
    BUT HE DOESNT HAVE TO GO THAT LOW TO LOSE WEIGHT. (Disclaimer: Unless he isn't losing at 1900, but we don't know that because he hasn't told us how many calories he is eating.)

OP the biggest thing you need to worry about is calorie deficient. Going below 1500 at around 2700 calories TDEE would have you losing 2lbs+ a week. Everyone wants to lose the weight fast, but if you are okay with it being slow but steady you can eat more calories, around 2000 and still lose a little under 1.5lbs. Or at 2200 and lose a pound a week. It's up to you and your comfort level. Slow isn't necessarily bad, fast isn't necessarily good either. The opposites remain true to.

But the one thing to remember is the BMR calculators which TDEE hinges upon are estimates. So if you find your not losing 1lb a week at 2200, you may need to lower your calorie intake.

Take away: Higher deficient = less food, Faster weight loss. Lower deficient = more food, but slower weight loss. Any deficient =weight loss.

OP the thing we need to know to accurately evaluate and what I haven't seen is how many calories have you been eating for the past few months, and how much weightloss have you seen from that? Have you been weighing your foods? Why are you "re-evaluating" your caloric needs?

Note: Got 2700 from 1974x1.4 activity multiplier. Rounded off.
    Last edited by Miakiah; 09-17-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: clarification

Originally Posted by Miakiah View Post
    BUT HE DOESNT HAVE TO GO THAT LOW TO LOSE WEIGHT. (Disclaimer: Unless he isn't losing at 1900, but we don't know that because he hasn't told us how many calories he is eating.)

OP the biggest thing you need to worry about is calorie deficient. Going below 1500 at around 2700 calories TDEE would have you losing 2lbs+ a week. Everyone wants to lose the weight fast, but if you are okay with it being slow but steady you can eat more calories, around 2000 and still lose a little under 1.5lbs. Or at 2200 and lose a pound a week. It's up to you and your comfort level. Slow isn't necessarily bad, fast isn't necessarily good either. The opposites remain true to.

But the one thing to remember is the BMR calculators which TDEE hinges upon are estimates. So if you find your not losing 1lb a week at 2200, you may need to lower your calorie intake.

Take away: Higher deficient = less food, Faster weight loss. Lower deficient = more food, but slower weight loss. Any deficient =weight loss.

OP the thing we need to know to accurately evaluate and what I haven't seen is how many calories have you been eating for the past few months, and how much weightloss have you seen from that? Have you been weighing your foods? Why are you "re-evaluating" your caloric needs?

ohhhhh ok

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by Miakiah View Post

Haven't chanted sig since surgery..
    I'm around 220 right now.
    And I'm still recovering. So my activity would be 1.2-1.3. Little to none.

So basically take 220x1.2-1.3 and detract from that for weight loss?
    R.I.P. Crew:
    Zyzz
    Rich Piana
    Dallas Mccarver
    My dreams

Haven't chanted sig since surgery..
    I'm around 220 right now.
    And I'm still recovering. So my activity would be 1.2-1.3. Little to none.

So basically take 220x1.2-1.3 and detract from that for weight loss?
    You should take your target weight and multiply X 10 cals so probably 160 X 10= 1,600. If you aren't prepared to do this then you'll be spinning your wheels for a very long time. You can use all the calculators, etc and try to rationalize why you can eat higher cals but your body doesn't care. You have a lot of bodyfat and you need a big defecit if you want to get anywhere.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    You should take your target weight and multiply X 10 cals so probably 160 X 10= 1,600. If you aren't prepared to do this then you'll be spinning your wheels for a very long time. You can use all the calculators, etc and try to rationalize why you can eat higher cals but your body doesn't care. You have a lot of bodyfat and you need a big defecit if you want to get anywhere.
    That makes sense.
    I just don't want to be one of those people who screw up their body big time. Or anything.
    I'd love to be able to bulk, by January.
    If possible.
    R.I.P. Crew:
    Zyzz
    Rich Piana
    Dallas Mccarver
    My dreams